Startup Problems - explorer.exe hangs/freezes

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=53256

Psyc

04-02-2007 20:09:29

So, this started happening about every single day last week. I'd boot or reboot and explorer.exe was frozen and none of my startup apps would load. This has happened in the past, but it was easily fixed by a System Restore.

Well, I got tired of doing it every single day last week and now it doesn't seem to work at all.

Basically what happens is everything seems to load fine and this little window that says Tablet Driver (for my Wacom) pops up. Then the desktop goes blank (the two icons I have there disappear) and I hover over the task bar and all I get is the hour glass cursor. None of my startup apps load, and there's a bunch of them. I have Trillian, RocketDock, Y! Widgets, BlueSoleil, Logitech SetPoint, xFire, StyleXP, etc., etc.

I started playing with some stuff in msconfig and I made it so that none of the startup items load. Computer boots up fine now, but it's a pain having to open all of those programs when I power up. I tried checking which startup app was causing it, but I've enabled a few to boot at startup by themselves and it makes explorer.exe freeze.

So, I'm completely lost and I can't really find any solution on Google. It's not a trojan or virus or whatever because I already did a few scans.

Funny thing was an older PC that I have was doing something similar. That one wouldn't load anything at start up. I'd just get a blank screen with just the wallpaper. I basically formatted that one, but I really don't want to have to do that to this one. (

Here are my specs

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2
MSI K9N SLI Platinum AM2 nForce 590 ATX
CoolMax 400w PSU
XFX Geforce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
WD Caviar SE 160GB WD1600JS 7200 RPM SATA
OCZ Platinum 1GB DDR2 800
Logitech z5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
Creative SB Live! LS (Lame, I know)