Help me with remote access!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=53228

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 13:17:01

Hey,

I have a bit of a problem. My computer's LCD screen is totally messed up. I cant see anything, I just see a bunch of lines, or it is flashing. Now I need to get access to my computer remotley so I can back some things up. Since im sending it back to HP tommorow. I cant use LogMein or any other program that requires me to go on my computer. Is it possible to do anything through another computer that on the same wireless netowork?

johnjimjones

04-02-2007 13:31:08

[quote8aa6ca6ccd="YourGiftsFree"]Hey,

I have a bit of a problem. My computer's LCD screen is totally messed up. I cant see anything, I just see a bunch of lines, or it is flashing. Now I need to get access to my computer remotley so I can back some things up. Since im sending it back to HP tommorow. I cant use LogMein or any other program that requires me to go on my computer. Is it possible to do anything through another computer that on the same wireless netowork?[/quote8aa6ca6ccd]

Do you have any other monitors in your house?

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 13:35:59

I do, but I have no idea how to connect it. If I use a s-video cord, or unscrew it (which I do not want to do)

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 19:34:27

Paging Dmorris!

Seriously though, I need help asap.

Thanks.

DCoop

04-02-2007 20:13:10

I assume you can't access the $ shares then? \\computername\c$ , etc

Two suggestions then
1) Remotely enable remote desktop, reboot and connect http//www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/05/04/serverhacks_remote.html[]http//www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/05/04/serverhacks_remote.html

2) Use systernals psexec[=http//www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx]psexec to remotely execute a remote server (logmein? or VNC if you have it)

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 20:16:21

One problem, on the computer I am trying to access. I dont remember my PW. I had it stored. Will any of those work without doing anything to the computer or knowing the PW?

compuguru

04-02-2007 20:20:31

If you have another computer monitor, you can just hook it up. Does it start booting normally (shows some type of boot screen) then go weird, or is it like that instantly.

Are you using Windows XP Pro or Home? I don't think Home has remote access built in like Pro does.

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 20:21:51

Ah its Home.

It boots up then when it starts loading and it says XP home, it messes up.

DCoop

04-02-2007 20:24:48

You'd need to supply a password for all of them. (in fact, remote desktop requires a user account with a password). Without a username/password you're options for connecting remotely are limited unless something like VNC was already running.

Short of booting some sort of linux LiveCD and accessing via ssh or pulling the drive and reading it elsewhere, I can't think of much else you can do over the wire.

YourGiftsFree

04-02-2007 20:25:59

Hmm,

Is there anyway of connecting it to another monitor? I have an s-video port on it. But I tried it once and it didnt work. Would I have to configure something in BIOS?

compuguru

04-02-2007 20:26:51

[quote88ac8a1d05="YourGiftsFree"]Ah its Home.

It boots up then when it starts loading and it says XP home, it messes up.[/quote88ac8a1d05]
Looks like you have some bad drivers then. Did you update your computer recently?

You could try booting into safe-mode and then rolling back the drivers

How to boot into safe mode
# Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
# Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
# Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

DCoop

04-02-2007 20:40:18

compguru is correct, no remote desktop in the home version.
Definately sounds like a driver/resolution/frequency issue.
Do as above and you should be fine.

BTW, from my experience if you do try to hook up a tv to the svideo, the computer will drive that display as long as you disconnect the real monitor before you power on the machine. Once XP starts up then that's a different story... depends on what the drivers want to do.

YourGiftsFree

05-02-2007 05:32:51

Hmm, I will try that. But before, I just had lines going down my screen and it worked fine. It would go away by me moving my lcd screen around a bit. It progressed and got worse by more lines and flashing. Then the LCD gets all these lines when it boots up now.

compuguru

05-02-2007 10:29:09

[quote28400c40e9="YourGiftsFree"]Hmm, I will try that. But before, I just had lines going down my screen and it worked fine. It would go away by me moving my lcd screen around a bit. It progressed and got worse by more lines and flashing. Then the LCD gets all these lines when it boots up now.[/quote28400c40e9]
Could be a monitor issue then. Do you have another computer? Try disconnecting its monitor and connecting it to your problem computer.