Migrating Applications from an Old PC to a New One

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=52278

Diggety

24-01-2007 12:59:58

Hi All,

In my previous thread I asked for recommendations regarding the system that I'm building -- Thanks to all who helped. I'm now confronted with a new challenge...

My old system is a Dell XPS (1st generation). I'd like to avoid having go through a fresh install of XP, followed by the installation of every application that I have (some of which I no longer have the original software for).

I was thinking about using Norton Ghost 2003 to clone the HD in my Dell system to a new fresh HD and then placing that in my new system. I figure this could save me a significant amount of time and pain of reinstalling everything.

Is this possible? Do you all think it will work?

From what I've been reading there are mixed results with this sort of thing and I'm thinking about giving it a shot tonight. Online I've seen people that suggest installing the cloned hard drive and then doing a repair instill with the XP disk.

I've also see all the "Migration" applications out there but I'm not sure how valuable they are.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Has anyone else tried something similar?

Thanks,

Dig

dmorris68

24-01-2007 14:34:35

Safe yourself hours of troubleshooting and headache by spending an hour or two to do a fresh install. It's not that big a deal. You should NEVER clone an OS drive image to completely different hardware for any longer than it takes to backup something in case your old system died or is no longer available. Not only are you asking for major system issues due to different drivers and the hardware enumeration tree in the registry, but Windows installations collect all sorts of junk and detritus over time that seriously impacts performance and stability. It would be a real shame to have a spanking new system running an old klunky install of Windows.

I format and reinstall Windows at least once or twice per year. Everything runs much better afterwards. One thing I do to help with this is to only install Windows on C drive/partition -- all other apps and data go on D. Then I can easily format & reinstall without backing up data on D. I just reinstall the apps over the top of themselves on D, and all data is intact (and usually configuration files too if they're not in the registry).

ronmm

24-01-2007 18:03:27

[quote93600a55c7="dmorris68"]Safe yourself hours of troubleshooting and headache by spending an hour or two to do a fresh install. [/quote93600a55c7]

I 2nd that. Also it's nice to just slave your old drive in the new system so you have access to all your old stuff for awhile. Then later you can format it and use it for storage.

jonohull

24-01-2007 19:54:46

There is a program that's great for migrating programs and settings. It's called AlohaBob PC Relocator. You can read up on it.

phriq

24-01-2007 20:03:03

i would do a fresh install as well.....Not only does it not take "that" long, but then your brand new PC will be completely clean and fresh and organized. i think it would be more of a headache to try to get your new pc like the old, where as you could spend a few hours customizing and starting a fresh new pc., besides, thats half the fun of having a new PC is doing "everything" to it. and also its recommended by most techs to reformat every 6 months. so why not do it now?

Tholek

25-01-2007 01:17:35

While I agree with those that say to do a fresh install.....I'm lazy, and apparently lucky. ;)

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=58463#58463

Gets a mention here too http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44262

I had a retail version and didn't have to reactivate, but I don't advise doing this. I seem to be the exception to the rule.

Diggety

25-01-2007 06:51:52

Thanks guys. It's pretty clear that it is probably best if I do a fresh install. The only problem I have with that is the copy of XP that I have is OEM -- (came with the Dell System that I bought).

So I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to install it on the new comp.

Maybe I should consider upgrading to Vista. Any thoughts? or Would I be better of using Windows XP x64?

nick_e

25-01-2007 13:29:04

it'll work i bought a oem dell copy of pro to install on my custom pc it's almost identical just has the dell help link in the start menu other than that it's the same as the normal retail package

phriq

25-01-2007 14:03:28

the worst is you may have to call microsoft and get it registered and let htem know that its now on a new computer....but since your building a new computer..,..vista is out in 5 days....you may want to look into that. (or do what i am doing, and wait a while after its original release till its really either necassary to have, or they get all the Main launch bugs out)

Diggety

25-01-2007 19:16:01

[quote7a92544f7d="phriq"]the worst is you may have to call microsoft and get it registered and let htem know that its now on a new computer....but since your building a new computer..,..vista is out in 5 days....you may want to look into that. (or do what i am doing, and wait a while after its original release till its really either necassary to have, or they get all the Main launch bugs out)[/quote7a92544f7d]

Thats exactly what I'm thinking(about Vista). I have Windows XP OEM and Windows Media Center XP OEM, if I call Microsoft -- are they really going to let me install it on my new computer?

I've been looking into windows 64 bit. Is there much of a noticable difference? Is it worth getting 64 bit?

dmorris68

25-01-2007 19:30:25

Aside from it being illegal (in case that bothers you), you may very well have trouble installing your old OEM copy of Windows on a custom PC. Depending on the type of OEM it is, it may only install on Dell PC's. I've seen Dell media that way, as well as Dell media that will install on anything, so it just depends. Won't hurt to try (again, assuming you understand it's illegal to move an OEM license to a different PC).

phriq

25-01-2007 20:27:14

[quotebfa52a90ab="Diggety"][quotebfa52a90ab="phriq"]the worst is you may have to call microsoft and get it registered and let htem know that its now on a new computer....but since your building a new computer..,..vista is out in 5 days....you may want to look into that. (or do what i am doing, and wait a while after its original release till its really either necassary to have, or they get all the Main launch bugs out)[/quotebfa52a90ab]

Thats exactly what I'm thinking(about Vista). I have Windows XP OEM and Windows Media Center XP OEM, if I call Microsoft -- are they really going to let me install it on my new computer?

I've been looking into windows 64 bit. Is there much of a noticable difference? Is it worth getting 64 bit?[/quotebfa52a90ab]

i am not sure exactly how much of a differance it really makes....if you can't transfer your old OS, then it really depends kinda what your going to use this PC for and for how long your going to use it. If you want to keep it for a long time, i would probably go with vista (despite at launch it will surely have some bugs, (not to mention tons of poeple trying to attack it with virus's and malware) but then again, XP pro is pretty cheap now, and will probably be cheaper after vista launches. look at the prices as well. if you get xp home its 99. and the upgrate to vista home premium is i think 159 so ruffly 260 or so for that. where as its about 20 to 30 dollars cheaper to go straight to vista home premium....20 dollars is not huge, so it may be better to get xp, and then upgrade in 6 months or a year (which also is the time recommended to reformat your pc anyway).