Copying DVDs

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51692

CollidgeGraduit

17-01-2007 11:27:51

I know I was involved in a thread about this about a year ago, but I can't seem to find it. If someone can either find it, or help me out, I appreciate it.

What software do I need for copying and burning DVD movies? I want to say I used DVD Decoder to copy the movie to my HDD, and then strip out special features and tweak the quality to make it fit on a DVD-R.

First off - am I on the right track with that? If not, correct me. If so, what's the next step? Thanks in advance everyone.

And of course, I am only copying DVDs that I have obtained permission from the appropriate people to do so.

zr2152

17-01-2007 11:49:27

[quote278e065c0f="CollidgeGraduit"]I know I was involved in a thread about this about a year ago, but I can't seem to find it. If someone can either find it, or help me out, I appreciate it.

What software do I need for copying and burning DVD movies? I want to say I used DVD Decoder to copy the movie to my HDD, and then strip out special features and tweak the quality to make it fit on a DVD-R.

First off - am I on the right track with that? If not, correct me. If so, what's the next step? Thanks in advance everyone.[/quote278e065c0f]

Aight Ryan here we go,

I use have about 4 programs that I use in order to make sure that I can burn anyyyy dvd.

1. Dvd Shrink( you can find on download.com)
2. Deepburner(you can find on download.com)
3. 1Click DvdCopy Pro( get it as a torrent and patch it, i use azurus).
4. Dvd 43(just google it)

1. Dvd Shrink is a progam that allows you to backup any dvd movie that you like and create it as an iso image on you hdd, as you mentioned you wanted to do earlier. About 95% of the dvd's that I have burnt are 4.6 gb and do fit on a normal 4.7 gb dvdr, but once in a while you will come across one that might be a little bigger (something with a ton of special features). Dvd Shrink allows you to shrink any movie and select parts of the movie that you might want/not want.

Ex You may just want to main movie, not special features, or other things. You can just shrink it to be just the main movie and it will back up faster and burn faster.

2. Deepburner is just a program that allows you burn an iso image. Any isoimage copying program will do.

3. 1Click DVDCopy Pro is just another program that I use just in case I get an error on DVD shirnk when I am trying to back it up and cant do it. You just pop it in, start it, then insert your blank, and youre good to go. The only down side to this compared to dvd shirink is that you have to do it continuously unlike dvdshrink where you can back it up and then burn the iso image later.

4. DVD43 is just a decryption program that runs whenever you insert a dvd movie or whatever into your disc drive.

There ya go ryan. Hope it all works out for ya! Let me know if you need anything.

guelah75

17-01-2007 13:10:50

dvdfab (express mode) super easy to use

check torrent sites for it

Allen626

17-01-2007 13:15:40

I suggest DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink.

http//www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Decrypter

http//www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Shrink

And videohelp.com has tons of tutorials.

Tholek

17-01-2007 13:34:14

DVD Decrypter is obsolete now, isn't it?

I use DVDFab too, or at least did the last time I ripped something.

dmorris68

17-01-2007 13:54:42

[quote41973b2ffc="Tholek"]DVD Decrypter is obsolete now, isn't it?

I use DVDFab too, or at least did the last time I ripped something.[/quote41973b2ffc]
By itself, yes DVD Decrypter is obsolete, as it doesn't work with the latest structure protections. However when used in unison with RipIt4Me (along with FixVTS, and DVD Shrink) it's still very viable.

http//www.ripit4me.org

The RipIt4Me "kit" is all freeware stuff, no warez or cracks required. I switched over to it after using DVDFab for awhile, due to re-occurring rip issues with DVDFab. RipIt4Me scans the DVD for structure protection sectors then builds an input file that DVD Decryptor can use to skip over them. Then it runs FixVTS to fixup protection errors and other such problems, and finally (and optionally) launches DVDShrink that you can then use to pare down the rip to include just what you want.

Since going to the RipIt4Me approach, I have much fewer rip issues than I had with DVDFab Decrypter or Platinum.

Tholek

17-01-2007 13:58:49

That's new since the last time I ripped. )

+KMA

Do you still happen to use GK, or AGK for HD destined rips?

dmorris68

17-01-2007 14:08:19

Actually I don't use GK for anything. Outside of my MythTV box, which uses the Linux transcode tools to handle it automatically, I've never had a need or desire to transcode to MPEG4.

TFOAF

17-01-2007 14:11:17

I suggest...dum dum dum!

AnyDVD to remove the copy protections, and CloneDVD2 to copy. Havn't had a problem with either program. My DVDs come out flawless! D

Tholek

17-01-2007 15:11:48

[quotede37897e86="dmorris68"]Actually I don't use GK for anything. Outside of my MythTV box, which uses the Linux transcode tools to handle it automatically, I've never had a need or desire to transcode to MPEG4.[/quotede37897e86]

I like to do single file avi rips on occassion. When last I did one I took the lazy route and used AGK. I was just curious about what you would choose for the same purpose.

hehehhehe

17-01-2007 21:25:04

I use dvddecryptor to rip, although I haven't ripped anything really recent (but I'll look into ripit4me thanks for the info). To compress I use DVD Rebuilder which I think is the best since it uses CCE. I used to use DVD shrink for smaller DVDs (5-6 Gigs) but just stick to rebuilder now. If it's a movie that I really like, takes up 8 gigs+ and seems to have a lot of movement (sci-fi, action), I just backup to a DVD9.

For mp4s which I only make for the PSP, I just use virtualdubmod and xvid. Once you get used to it it's pretty easy.

Armstrong

18-01-2007 21:06:47

Mac the Ripper!

pspparty

19-01-2007 15:31:12

when i rip files to c i cannot burn them to a disc with nero, says can tcause over 2gb??? How you guys burn the movie from HD to DVD?

doylnea

19-01-2007 15:46:05

What's the hot DVD burner of choice these days (either SATA or IDE)? I have a NEC 3520a in one PC, but I need a DVD drive for the PC on which I'll be installing a new OS. I have a copy of Vista coming, and I presume it will be on DVD, so rather than buying a DVD drive for $15, spending $30 on a DVD/RW makes sense to me.

hehehhehe

19-01-2007 20:02:06

I'd recommend the Pioneer DVR-111D. I also have a NEC 3540 and a Benq1655, both of which are considered pretty good burners but the pioneer burns faster and better (in terms of pi/po scans).

dmorris68

19-01-2007 20:37:08

[quote968ae216ab="hehehhehe"]I'd recommend the Pioneer DVR-111D. I also have a NEC 3540 and a Benq1655, both of which are considered pretty good burners but the pioneer burns faster and better (in terms of pi/po scans).[/quote968ae216ab]
Really? Pioneer's never seem to score well in any of the benchmark/review sites I frequent, so I've avoided them. The popular favorites seem to be LiteOn, Benq, and NEC. And Plextor of course, but it's a cadillac (i.e. expensive). The recent Samsungs have been getting good marks as well.

I've had several NEC's and have loved them so far, my 3540 with modified firmware has been great. However I'm in the market for a new one to get DVD-RAM compatibility, since I have a set-top DVD Recorder that can do a bunch of neat stuff but only when using DVD-RAM media, and I want to be able to edit/view on my PC. I'm eyeing a BenQ or a LiteOn, probably, as NEC's latest drives don't seem to be getting the rave reviews of the 35xx series.

BTW my reference site of choice for all things CD/DVD is CDFreaks.com, especially their reviews and forums. Videohelp.org is also a good one that has user reviews of different media and drives.

hehehhehe

19-01-2007 22:37:34

[quote12c41569f4="dmorris68"]Really? Pioneer's never seem to score well in any of the benchmark/review sites I frequent, so I've avoided them. The popular favorites seem to be LiteOn, Benq, and NEC. And Plextor of course, but it's a cadillac (i.e. expensive). The recent Samsungs have been getting good marks as well.[/quote12c41569f4]
Yeah, here's their review on cdfreaks.
http//www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Pioneer-DVR-111-DVD-Burner-Review/conclusion.html[]http//www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Pioneer-DVR-111-DVD-Burner-Review/conclusion.html
They say, "the Pioneer DVR-111 is an excellent writer for DVD±R media, and produced some of the best quality burns we have seen here in CDFreaks labs." It has a 94% user rating out of close to 50 votes, which tops the benq 1655 and ND3540 (which doesn't have many reviews, maybe since it's older). The review is hard to compare to their 3540 one, as they use different drives to scan the test discs. It supports DVD-RAM too so why not give them a try for your next burner? wink I almost bought another one since it was so cheap with google checkout a little while ago.

I've always been an NEC guy but when I got my benq it wrote better than the 3540, and then when I got the pio it kicked the benq's ass. Like you say, the reviews for NEC's newer drives aren't that great.

topbillin1

20-01-2007 09:18:07

Quick question, I used to get movies from a couple sites in the past and I wondered how come the volume was very low and when the person speaks, they speech comes out later on....'

Is that the movie file that is bad or is it the disk that I use and the programs?

dmorris68

20-01-2007 11:55:48

Audio sync problems can result from either a poor encoding, or from your video player/system not being up to snuff. Have you tried playing it in different PC's? That would tell you if it's just a bad encoding or not.

gafdpc

20-01-2007 14:14:04

Second RipIt4Me.

I use that with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink...every movie has gone perfectly.

IHSclass

20-01-2007 17:07:43

A really great DVD copy software is available at http//www.123copydvd.com/. Also, they have a FREE 7 day trial so you can try it before you buy it!
You can select from different programs to copy DVDs, PSP DVDs, burn movies to iPods, or one that does them all.
Check it out, you have nothing to lose! )
Hope that helps,
Nina

csurge

22-01-2007 12:05:30

I can't believe no one has mentioned Doom9.net[=http//www.doom9.net]Doom9.net it has quite possible everything you would ever need for backing up video as well as countless tutorials on how to do it. In a word, the site is awesome =D

phriq

22-01-2007 12:19:22

I use dvd shrink to copy most my dvds to iso first on my computer adn then i use dvd decrypter or nero to burn. when using dvd shrink look to make sure on the top that the bar is not in the red, then your file is to big, take out an audio language out to lower the size, also if your run into the problom where you can copy movie (I.E. new sony movies) use dvd fab platinum to first copy vob files to yoru computer, then shrink to make iso, then nero or decrypter to burn.

doylnea

22-01-2007 12:22:32

[quote14c884ce06="dmorris68"]I've had several NEC's and have loved them so far, my 3540 with modified firmware has been great. However I'm in the market for a new one to get DVD-RAM compatibility, since I have a set-top DVD Recorder that can do a bunch of neat stuff but only when using DVD-RAM media, and I want to be able to edit/view on my PC. I'm eyeing a BenQ or a LiteOn, probably, as NEC's latest drives don't seem to be getting the rave reviews of the 35xx series[/quote14c884ce06]

Got any specific models in mind David? I suppose given that I don't know what the "bunch of neat stuff but only when using DVD-RAM media" would be, I don't need the latest and greatest drive, unless you can convince me otherwise...;)

zr2152

22-01-2007 12:42:08

look what i found doylnea....

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45059

Hey ryan, is this what you were looking for? HAHA

doylnea

22-01-2007 13:30:25

[quote4e0734a97b="zr2152"]look what i found doylnea....

Hey ryan, is this what you were looking for? HAHA[/quote4e0734a97b]

What's your point? I have 8mm family video converted to digital video stored on my computer. I've been editing it together using Windows Movie Maker and plan to burn it to DVD at some point. Also you'll note my original post

[quote4e0734a97b="doylnea"]...but I need a DVD drive for the PC on which I'll be installing a new OS. I have a copy of Vista coming, and I presume it will be on DVD, so rather than buying a DVD drive for $15, spending $30 on a DVD/RW makes sense to me.[/quote4e0734a97b]

zr2152

22-01-2007 14:13:39

[quote10854585d6="doylnea"][quote10854585d6="zr2152"]look what i found doylnea....

Hey ryan, is this what you were looking for? HAHA[/quote10854585d6]

What's your point? I have 8mm family video converted to digital video stored on my computer. I've been editing it together using Windows Movie Maker and plan to burn it to DVD at some point. Also you'll note my original post

[quote10854585d6="doylnea"]...but I need a DVD drive for the PC on which I'll be installing a new OS. I have a copy of Vista coming, and I presume it will be on DVD, so rather than buying a DVD drive for $15, spending $30 on a DVD/RW makes sense to me.[/quote10854585d6][/quote10854585d6]

I know I know, i was just looking through the thread at some of the post here and could see how they could perfectly fit in this topic.

Just my two cents.

dmorris68

22-01-2007 14:18:13

[quotef8505cc28a="csurge"]I can't believe no one has mentioned Doom9.net[=http//www.doom9.net]Doom9.net it has quite possible everything you would ever need for backing up video as well as countless tutorials on how to do it. In a word, the site is awesome =D[/quotef8505cc28a]
I recommend Doom9 as well as Videohelp.com all the time, when folks ask about video tools and how-to's. As far as DVD copying goes, it just points to the tools we're already discussing. ;)

[quotef8505cc28a="doylnea"][quotef8505cc28a="dmorris68"]I've had several NEC's and have loved them so far, my 3540 with modified firmware has been great. However I'm in the market for a new one to get DVD-RAM compatibility, since I have a set-top DVD Recorder that can do a bunch of neat stuff but only when using DVD-RAM media, and I want to be able to edit/view on my PC. I'm eyeing a BenQ or a LiteOn, probably, as NEC's latest drives don't seem to be getting the rave reviews of the 35xx series[/quotef8505cc28a]

Got any specific models in mind David? I suppose given that I don't know what the "bunch of neat stuff but only when using DVD-RAM media" would be, I don't need the latest and greatest drive, unless you can convince me otherwise...;)[/quotef8505cc28a]
Aside from NEC drives, which is all I've owned for years now, I can't remember all the model numbers from other manufacturers, so I can't quote you one. If you don't need DVD-RAM support, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an NEC 3540 if you can still find one. Otherwise I'd have to dig up my research on newer models -- I was in the market but got sidetracked and didn't follow up with a purchase, which probably means things have since changed enough for me to start over with the research. You might peruse the review section at CDFreaks to see what they're currently recommending.

You might also look at the Pioneer suggested earlier, since hehehehe seemed to be happy with it.

dudeextrem2000

23-01-2007 20:33:32

Im gonna sound like an idiot, but how do you use AGK, do you have to have another program that will make iso's of the dvd or something?

Thanks for the help!

phriq

23-01-2007 20:39:14

i would agree that doom9 is amazing!

hehehhehe

24-01-2007 10:26:20

If you're not into the Pioneer, here is a top 5 list they give on cdfreaks (I don't know how they come up with the top devices)
1 BenQ DW1655
2 Lite-On SHM-165P6S
3 LG GSA-H22N
4 Pioneer DVR-111D
5 Pioneer DVR-111
http//www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD__RW/[]http//www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD__RW/

It's hard to find the DW1655 anymore, the Lite-on is external, and I'm sure the LG is ok but not as good as the other ones. The pioneer has the best ratings like I said so I still recommend it. It's under $40 shipped at newegg. Or you can get it for $30 at another store if you can open a new google checkout account.

You can browse by manufacturer from that link to look up what people are saying about a other writers, but for me it's a no-brainer.

dmorris68

24-01-2007 11:11:44

Actually the Lite-On LH-20A1H model is looking good to me. I've always had good luck with Lite-On's before NEC, and they've always been top rated. This one is brand new and does 20x burns, DVD-RAM, and LightScribe (not that I'd use it most likely as I use printable media for full color prints, but still...).

pspparty

25-01-2007 17:03:55

Whats a good program/s to use to create a dvd from different video file types from your computer that will play on a home dvd player? ( like a bunch of clips that you wanna put on a dvd and make chapters or something)

dmorris68

25-01-2007 19:18:36

[quote13538a9e4d="pspparty"]Whats a good program/s to use to create a dvd from different video file types from your computer that will play on a home dvd player? ( like a bunch of clips that you wanna put on a dvd and make chapters or something)[/quote13538a9e4d]
I use Nero Vision Express for that. Comes with the Nero Suite.

dmorris68

28-01-2007 14:26:18

Just thought I'd bump to say I decided on a new burner myself. After doing the research, it looks like the Samsung SH-S182D (or M if you want LightScribe) is the model to go with. I went with the M model and ordered some LS media to go with it, although I typically full-color print directly on printable media with my Epson printer.

Aside from some issues people had related to underpowered PSU's, I see happier folks and better burns across the board with this drive than I did with the NEC's, Lite-On's, BenQ's, and Pioneer's that I researched. So I pulled the trigger and it should be here early next week.

http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151136

[b7d7b8639b6]Edit[/b7d7b8639b6] Corrected a typo -- I actually got the S[b7d7b8639b6]H[/b7d7b8639b6]-182M, not the SE which is the external version. Link was correct, though.

hehehhehe

30-01-2007 22:21:42

Here's a good deal that's come up on an LG burner. I've never bought LG and never considered them to be any good but this one has had great reviews from cdfreaks members and for under $36 shipped, the price is right.

newegg link[=http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136108]newegg link

Great scans of burnt media
http//club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=202626[]http//club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=202626

It does DVD-RAM too. wink

The pioneer is a buck cheaper though...

As usual, I saw this on SD.

dmorris68

31-01-2007 06:23:00

Yeah, I considered the LG too. I've never been an LG burner fan either, but noted the positive reviews. I can't remember now what swayed me away from it and toward the Samsung, but ultimately I felt the Samsung was a better choice. $34 or so shipped from Newegg, too. ;)

Got it yesterday but haven't had time to install it yet. Will post a first-impression when I do.

doylnea

31-01-2007 07:29:33

I thought about piggy-backing on your research and buying the same drive as you David, and then I realized, the only reason I was buying this drive was to use to install Vista (I have a copy, but no need to install it now) and burn a DVD that's nowhere near complete. However, I like new toys, and relying on solid research, so I'm now I'm actually considering it sheesh

hehehhehe

31-01-2007 09:39:39

dmorris, I am curious though, why you like the SH-S182D so much. The cdfreaks review just says "'The Samsung SH-S182D is an inexpensive and overall an OK drive with really nice features". Looking at the scans of dvd burns, they are ok but nothing great. The Samsung mentioned above, benq dw1655 and pioneer 111D provide much better burns as can be seen in their scans, although the pio and benq is 16x. Also, only 60% out of 629 users give it a thumbs up on cdfreaks, which is pretty bad.

cdfreaks[=http//www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review]cdfreaks

Out of the box it doesn't burn media faster than their rated speed like the pioneer, and I also don't know if it bitsets DVD+R automatically like the pioneer either. It's good for CDs though, it seems. Maybe it has good dvd-ram functionality?

dmorris68

31-01-2007 11:19:49

I take reviews from a single reviewer with a grain of salt. After pouring through the forums, looking at scans, and reading about user experiences both on CDFreaks and other places (like Newegg customer reviews), I had the best overall feeling from the Samsung. Believe me, I poured over the latest Lite-On 20x, the Samsung, the LG, and the Pioneer (among others) before settling on this one -- I just got the overall better impression from the Samsung. Issues like overspeed burning are usually addressed in firmware updates, either OEM or 3rd party, and aren't of real concern to me.

http//club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=193478

Scans look excellent. Most scans posted show no more than 2 PIF, which is outstanding. If you're looking at the 95 quality score, that number is really meaningless as explained on the forums there. You're really concerned about the total PIE/PIF numbers. I haven't seen many burners beat those numbers by much, if any. It also seems to like MCC and TY media, both of which I have a lot of.

The user score was probably impacted by problems that a lot of users had with this drive. It had the same lead-in problem that also plagues recent Lite-On and Sony drives, as well as not being able to read it's own burns but could read those of others. However it was soon discovered to be due, in most cases, to either weak PSU's, hanging the burner on the same power cable as a floppy/HDD drive, or certain master/slave configurations. Once I saw that, I wasn't worried, and sure enough this new drive (I just got it installed BTW) burns and reads flawlessly.

I haven't run my own scan yet but will post results when I do.

hehehhehe

31-01-2007 11:46:04

Yeah, let us know. I don't look at the quality score either, I look at the PIE/F numbers.

That link you provide leads to the link I posted though right (the cdfreaks review)? The link in that first post doesn't work but I assume it goes to the same place. I think the scans are good too but the reviewer doesn't seem very thrilled, it's weird.

Still, given that so many users had problems with the drive, I wouldn't recommend it since not everybody is as able as you. wink That's why I was curious as to why you'd choose it too, why go through the potential trouble, when there are writers who provide the same write quality who pose less problems? Does it do something in particular?

dmorris68

31-01-2007 12:38:43

Honestly, all I did was plug it up, but it's certainly possible that other users might have problems IF they don't know what to watch out for. I am by no means saying this is the best burner on the market and everybody should get one. There are other plenty capable burners out there -- I just liked this one after the research, and thus far am happy with it after just a couple of test burns.

Like I said, a lot of information led me to the Samsung conclusion. Lots of little features -- none earthshattering by themselves, but altogether make for a better value IMO. A lot of new burners nowadays don't support Mt. Ranier, for instance. This one does. A lot aren't 2-sheep burners, this one is. 12x RAM support and 18x DVD support (albeit with limited media) along with what I consider to be great scans. Super quiet (the quietest burner I've ever heard). The "live" automatic firmware update feature. Stuff like that, most of which is found here and there across many other models, but no other model seemed as feature-complete as this one. Even if I'm not interested in using a specific feature at the moment (Mt. Ranier for example) I like knowing I have the option for the future.

BTW here's my first scan, using MCC02 (8x) Pioneer Certified Prodisc 8x media, burned at 8x (for some reason CD/DVD Speed isn't showing the media code in that screenshot). PIE is a little high in that scan, but max errors/failures are still good. I have some new 16x Verbatim but haven't tried one yet -- it's Lightscribe media so I don't want to waste one on a test burn, I'll wait until I have something worthwhile. Likewise with my Ritek and Verbatim DL media.

http//www.morrisonline.us/pics/TSSTcorpCD_DVDW_SH-S182M_SB03_31-January-2007_14_58.png[" alt=""/imgd23143bc54]

And here are the highlights from the CDFreaks review on the 182D, just to gather a lot of the bullet items together (my 182M adds Lightscribe to this list). The negatives are virtually non-issues for me, while many of the positives are... well... positive for me. The quality concern isn't really quantified in the review nor does it seem to jive with the scans and comments posted on the forums. It also doesn't take into account the latest SB03 firmware which aimed at improving quality further. Overall, I felt this was the drive to get, for my purposes.

[quoted23143bc54="CDFreaks"]Positive

li Supports CD-R/RW writing at 48x/32x
li Supports DVD±R writing at 18x
li Supports DVD-RAM at 12x
li Supports DVD+RW/DVD-RW writing at 8x/6x
li Supports Mt. Rainer
li Overall ok writing quality
li Supports Bitsetting for DVD+R/+RW/+R DL (BookType to DVD-ROM)
li 'Two sheep" writer
li Supports DAO-RAW writing
li Can rip copy protected Audio-CDs
li Reads CD-ROM at 48x
li Reads DVD-ROM/DVD-Video SL at 16
li 'Two sheep" writer
li Can overburn CD-Rs around 99 min
li Can read 99 min CD-Rs
li Good Software package
li Can do disc quality scanning
li Lead free product

Negative

li Reads CD-R/CD-RW/CD-DA only at 40x
li Reads DVD±R/RW/±R DL only at 12x/8x/8x
li Can not overburn DVD±R media
li Quality improvements of DVD-R and DVD±R DL media
li Green LED for both reading and writing[/quoted23143bc54]

hehehhehe

31-01-2007 13:56:47

Yeah, that is a good burn (although I'd like to see what it does with a full disc). I don't think the PIE is high at all. My pio does PIF of 4-6 so your is better for that, which is important (at this point, maybe we're the only ones here who know what this PIE/PIF crap is). Its ability to do Mt Rainier and Two sheep writing was the kind of info I was after, I know you had your reasons, just wanted to know what they were.

Still, I wonder why it has such a poor rating by so many people. People on cdfreaks are used to testing out writers so it's not like they haven't installed these things before. It's too bad there are no comments in the ratings so we'd know. It seems to give problems to various people so I wouldn't recommend it to the general user.

And yeah, don't waste any LS discs for our sake lol . I have lightscribe (dw1655) too but I think I prefer printing in full color on inkjet printables. I also don't like the fact that I'm wearing down the drive motor by doing LS (not that drives nowadays die, I would know lol), it takes a while too.

EDIT If you burn a full disc in the future, can you do a scan with your 3540 at 5X speed? That's what I do and I wanted to see a comparison.

stueybaby17

10-02-2007 13:23:53

[quote57cbc30e9f="TFOAF"]I suggest...dum dum dum!

AnyDVD to remove the copy protections, and CloneDVD2 to copy. Havn't had a problem with either program. My DVDs come out flawless! D[/quote57cbc30e9f]

I agree. I have used a few other programs too, and sometimes the dvd's are good and other times they are messed up. Using this program they have all come out awesome.

You need to have anydvd also because they work together

hilaryfanatic09

28-03-2007 18:20:30

After much trouble finding a good way to burn DVDs, I am now using CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD. But I noticed on two dvds that I copied, the movie came out kind of glitchy. Like it almost skips, and the picture skips and gets some squares on it. Any ideas of why this might be?

TFOAF

28-03-2007 18:23:12

Glitchy? That's strange. I've copied nearly 50 DVDs, if not more and they turned out fine. I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, and that's all I've used for copying DVDs.

Also...when burning the DVD, don't burn it at MAX speed, that could leave room for problems, like yours. Burn it at like 4x. That's what I burn it at. ) Comes out perfect every time!

dmorris68

28-03-2007 20:55:44

Most likely a bad burn or bad media. Have you done an error scan or a scandisk (using Nero CD Speed or similar tool)?

I used to use the DVDFab tools for ripping my DVD's and quite often had that problem, it would also corrupt chapter indexing, kick me back to the main menu at random times, etc. After I switched to the freeware RipIt4Me suite, all my rips & burns have been perfect.

TFOAF

30-03-2007 05:01:02

David, his problem was fixed after reburning it at 4x. He said it worked flawlessly. Maybe it was a coincidence. P

pspparty

22-04-2007 14:04:08

ripit4free.org seems to be down?? nyone have a copy or know where i can dl a good copy of it?

dmorris68

22-04-2007 18:32:14

It's ripit4me.org, not ripit4free.org, but you probably meant that since it's down at the moment too.

Alternate locations

http//www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me
http//www.majorgeeks.com/download5408.html

With the latest version, FixVTS functionality is built-in, so no need for that external utility anymore. You just need DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink installed first.

gnznroses

22-04-2007 19:12:45

i use
AnyDVD
Nero

usually i copy onto dual-layer, but if i figure the movie will suck i use DVDShrink. if instead of compressing i can just cut out a few things, then i use DVD Rebuilder. but it's buggy so i don't use it much anymore.

doylnea

25-04-2007 06:38:17

Any thoughts on this one?

NEC SuperMulti 18x DVD±R Burner (AD-7170A)[=http//www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=N27-1895+ISS]NEC SuperMulti 18x DVD±R Burner (AD-7170A) for $9.99 AR?

Tholek

25-04-2007 06:43:25

Wow. That looks worth it.

dmorris68

25-04-2007 07:52:48

It's not worth $99 for a $35 drive and some crappy software, then having to wait 3 months for a $90 rebate.

IMO.

Not that I have anything against MIR's, when they make sense, but that one just doesn't for me. I'd rather just be out the cost of the drive now and be done with it.

That said, NEC drives were my preference until recently, when their quality/performance seems to have slipped and/or been surpassed by several others.

So far the Samsung I bought has worked great.

manOFice

25-04-2007 07:53:51

[quotecf73652ee0="Allen626"]I suggest DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink.

http//www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Decrypter

http//www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Shrink

And videohelp.com has tons of tutorials.[/quotecf73652ee0]

This is all I use, never needed anything else except maybe some region free programs.

Edit Once I started reading more looks like I have to get some updated software, I haven't riped a dvd in awhile. I got a good ol NEC burner with one of the hacked firmware on it, works like a charm

doylnea

25-04-2007 08:04:44

[quote7020b8769c="dmorris68"]It's not worth $99 for a $35 drive and some crappy software, then having to wait 3 months for a $90 rebate.

IMO.

Not that I have anything against MIR's, when they make sense, but that one just doesn't for me. I'd rather just be out the cost of the drive now and be done with it.

That said, NEC drives were my preference until recently, when their quality/performance seems to have slipped and/or been surpassed by several others.

So far the Samsung I bought has worked great.[/quote7020b8769c]

Thanks David, it's really time for me to buy a DVD drive - too much software is being released on DVD (e.g. Vista and QB Pro) to not have a DVD drive in my main PC.

Tholek

25-04-2007 09:13:13

[quote3a834a0639="dmorris68"]It's not worth $99 for a $35 drive and some crappy software, then having to wait 3 months for a $90 rebate.

IMO.

So far the Samsung I bought has worked great.[/quote3a834a0639]

Ouch...now I know better than to offer my opinion on anything. lisulkli

We need a sulking smilie, by the way...

hehehhehe

25-04-2007 09:21:13

[quotecdcfd9ed54="dmorris68"]It's not worth $99 for a $35 drive and some crappy software, then having to wait 3 months for a $90 rebate.
[/quotecdcfd9ed54]
IAWTC. Plus it's tigerdirect who has a shoddy rep with rebates.

You can get a good drive for $20+ from shop4tech if you use a first time google checkout account.

doylnea

25-04-2007 09:23:58

[quoteffd7082fce="hehehhehe"][quoteffd7082fce="dmorris68"]It's not worth $99 for a $35 drive and some crappy software, then having to wait 3 months for a $90 rebate.
[/quoteffd7082fce]
IAWTC. Plus it's tigerdirect who has a shoddy rep with rebates.[/quoteffd7082fce]

That's no longer true - the TD rebates to be wary of are Onrebate's, not those handled by Parago. OnRebate is owned by TD, Parago is a professional rebate processor.

hehehhehe

25-04-2007 11:03:49

[quotea45b438cdf="doylnea"]That's no longer true - the TD rebates to be wary of are Onrebate's, not those handled by Parago. OnRebate is owned by TD, Parago is a professional rebate processor.[/quotea45b438cdf]
Yeah I actually didn't check who was processing the Computer Associates rebates, but does Parago do any other rebates for them? I know TD still does its own rebates on its PCs where they seem to have had the most complaints.

I still don't trust them. Their "Guaranteed Rebate" policy where you need to send the forms by registered mail is a joke. I've always sent my rebates via standard mail and been screwed only once. It's obvious they're putting in more actions needed by consumers so that the rate of rebate submissions and successful payouts go down. At the same time, they can defend themselves against further complaints by pointing out their "guarantee" policy and how someone didn't jump through all the hoops.

dmorris68

25-04-2007 11:33:36

Well, in TD's defense -- their rebate rap is often blown out of proportion, especially recently. They used to be far worse many years ago, but I've ordered numerous items with rebates from them over the years, and gotten every one. Only once did I have a problem, and it wasn't with TD, as it was a mfg rebate from a Canadian case distributor. After about 6 months and a couple of e-mails back and forth with them, they just ignored me and refused to respond to my status requests. In frustration I contacted TD, who credited my CC for the rebate amount, on the spot and over the phone -- I didn't have to mail anything.

Every other TD rebate has been smooth sailing.

Still, paying $99 for a DVD burner and waiting 2-3 months to get $90 back is not what I consider an attractive deal, no matter the vendor or rebate processor.

hehehhehe

25-04-2007 11:41:15

Yeah I can understand how things are exaggerated on the web because people who don't get their rebates will publicize it with angry fervor while those who do get them will just sit there being content.