Missing Network Components?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51640

theysayjump

16-01-2007 15:56:58

I was on the phone to my Dad and had my computer cleaning (registry, junk files, missing shortcuts etc) since I wasn't using it. I clean it with the same programmes, using the same methods every day and never had a problem, but now, after cleaning and restarting, I can't connect to a Wireless Network. It doesn't even list any Wireless Networks now.

I'm currently on Vista, on the same PC but different HDD, so if there was actually a problem with the Network, this wouldn't work either, right?

Any idea what could be missing that may have been removed? It was on XP Pro SP2.

I've tried disabling the Network Adapter, uninstalling it, re-installing it, updating the driver (with one I have on disc), creating a new Wireless Network and other shit, but to no avail. (

Tholek

16-01-2007 16:04:26

Does this happen with and without the Zero Config?

hehehhehe

16-01-2007 16:08:12

How about doing a repair install with your xp sp2 CD?

Tholek

16-01-2007 16:11:01

That might be a little much.

Let's just keep Frank talking until David is back. ;)

theysayjump

16-01-2007 16:23:06

lol

I'd rather not do an XP Repair install if I don't have to. As far as I can remember, the Zero Config was enabled and working, but let me switch back over and check.

doylnea

16-01-2007 16:30:10

Did you try moving the wireless network card to another slot on the MB and then rebooting (that's worked for me in the past)? Though do I understand you correctly to say that you're on Vista now, connected via the wireless card?

dmorris68

16-01-2007 16:36:27

Ummm... I got nothing. If Vista can see the WiFi network but XP refuses, then it sounds like you've hosed your XP configuration, system files, or your adapter's utility files.

Were you using strictly XP's WiFi utility or where you using one supplied with your WiFi adapter?

[b8fdcadd794]Edit[/b8fdcadd794] Oh yeah, another trick that has worked for me in the past with troublesome network connections is to disable the adapter, then re-enable it. And you haven't disabled the ZeroConf service, have you?

Tholek

16-01-2007 16:46:50

Oh yeah, I once disabled the service somehow (actually think it was a glitch) and had to re-enable it when the adapter utility couldn't work with the hardware, and the zero config tab wouldn't appear for the adapter in properties either.

theysayjump

16-01-2007 16:46:59

I just checked, Zero was enabled. I have a Linksys Wireless Adapter but chose to use the Zero service as opposed to the software that came with the adapter, just slipped my mind.

I've tried disabling it, and re-enabling it, as well as uninstalling, re-installing, rolling back and updating drivers, disabling and re-enabling the Zero Configuration service but still nothing.

I'll see if Linksys has an updated driver for my card, maybe that'll work. shrug

And yes, my card is working fine since I'm on Vista, on the same PC using the same card.

Repair install beckons I fear.

Tholek

16-01-2007 17:01:07

There could be an issue with permissions. I recently tangled[=http//www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=21822]recently tangled with getting an old 802.11b PC card to work on my laptop, and it turned out that I had to grant certain permissions to the system, or user account I used via the admin account. The adapter wouldn't work otherwise.

That may or may not help here.

theysayjump

16-01-2007 17:24:44

Well I'm back on XP.

I downloaded the newest software/driver version from Linksys whilst I was on Vista and then installed it on XP. Having the Linksys software running, means I can get online, and the Windows Wireless Signal icon in the System Tray shows that I'm connected to the Wireless Network.

However, when right-clicking on the Linksys icon and selecting "Use Windows XP Wireless Configuration", the Linksys software disables itself, starts the Zero Conf service, and then I lose my connection. (

Tholek

16-01-2007 17:32:28

Well, my old Belkin only works with its own utility. The driver doesn't support Zero Config. Maybe something similar is happening here.

You could try setting the SSID in properties (if it's an option), and attempting to connect without the utility. If that works, it could be a sign of an incompatibility between the driver and zero config.

theysayjump

16-01-2007 17:44:18

I already have the SSID set to what it should be, and I didn't change any settings, it just happened whenever whatever removed whatever. shrug

I can live with the Linksys utility if it means I can get online, it just bites that I don't know what caused this. (

Another thing, that since A4F was hacked and people were getting that Backdoor Trojan, apparently I got it, since when my PC starts up, spoolsv.exe is eating up 99% of my CPU. I had a look online and apprently it's a trojan that sets itself inside the spoolsv.exe process and eats your CPU. I've tried several different AV's, Spyware cleaners, Adware removers and Trojan removers, but nothing has stopped it.

I just have to kill the process about three or four times each time the system starts. (

Tholek

16-01-2007 17:56:25

When I say in properties, I mean in the hardware properties of the adapter. Sometime you can set the SSID there independently of zero config or the bundled utility. Sometimes that will work when nothing else does.

hehehhehe

16-01-2007 18:01:57

So you said the Wireless Zero Config service is already started when you do services.msc and check there right?

xp repair install FTW!

I've actually never done it but I always thought it was a way to fix stuff (like missing components) without fucking with the settings too much. I could be wrong though. Wireless settings can sometimes be such a pain (perhaps more in sp2) that I just figured you'd save time by just going through with it.

theysayjump

16-01-2007 19:29:24

[quote8557f3ec07="Tholek"]When I say in properties, I mean in the hardware properties of the adapter. Sometime you can set the SSID there independently of zero config or the bundled utility. Sometimes that will work when nothing else does.[/quote8557f3ec07]

Yeah that's where I set it. Initially when I went into it, there was nothing in the SSID field, so I entered my SSID and still nothing. shrug

[quote8557f3ec07="hehehhehe"]So you said the Wireless Zero Config service is already started when you do services.msc and check there right?

xp repair install FTW!

I've actually never done it but I always thought it was a way to fix stuff (like missing components) without fucking with the settings too much. I could be wrong though. Wireless settings can sometimes be such a pain (perhaps more in sp2) that I just figured you'd save time by just going through with it.[/quote8557f3ec07]

Yeah, it's started when I go there (although I took the long route, right-click my computer, manage, services and applications, services) and then when I switch between that and the Linksys utility, only the Linksys utility will let me connect to the network. (

As for the Repair install, I've done it before, a while ago but I believe it just installs the OS over your current one, whilst leaving anything else intact.

dmorris68

16-01-2007 19:35:52

Yeah Repair Installs are pretty much painless, I've done them many times. The only thing you lose and have to re-install are all of the Windows Updates. You can mitigate this hassle somewhat by keeping a current copy of AutoPatcher[=http//www.autopatcher.com]AutoPatcher handy. Beats the heck outta the long and tedious update/download/reboot/update/download/reboot/... cycle to get a fresh install patched up.