Building My First PC

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51323

Diggety

12-01-2007 08:52:40

Hi Folks,

I'm putting together my first PC and thought I'd list the specs of the system that I'm planning to build to see if I could get any recommendations or suggestions on where I've over done it or under done it. I run a videography business and use applications like Premier Pro, Encore DVD, After Effects and I like to do a little gaming on the side -)

Here's my plan

Mobo EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX
RAM 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300
Processor Core 2 Duo E6600
PS Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
Video Cards EVGA Geforce 7900GS
Monitor Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1 inch Wide LCD Monitor (Might do two of these for dual display)
HeatsinkZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Already have the Optical Drives and the floppy drive

I'm also looking for case recommendations. I'd like to have one with a side window, but it's not a must. There are 2 I had in mind

http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133145

Let me know what you all think, where I can improve or cut back. All recommendations welcome!

Thanks,

Dig

Daggoth

12-01-2007 10:27:38

In order to help you the most, can you please answer these questions

Do you plan to overclock? If not, then the Zalman 9500 HSF is useless, the stock one should be good enough for your needs. If you decide to overclock, it would be almost required to upgrade your RAM to DDR2 800.

Do you plan to go SLI? If not, then downgrading your motherboard to a single slot PCI-16 slot would save you money. For example, the Gigabyte 965P S3 or the Asus P5B-E would better suite your needs.

Do you plan to upgrade your video card? If not, then you are better off downgrading your PSU. The Corsair 520W can support an upgrade to a 8800GTX video card, but 700W can be good for SLI 8800GTX's, not to mention that the Corsair 520W has modular cabling support. If you do plan to upgrade your video card to an 8800 series, then you would barely be able to work with a P180 case, because it does not fit (I think).

Diggety

12-01-2007 11:14:11

[quotea5de80311b="Daggoth"]In order to help you the most, can you please answer these questions

Do you plan to overclock? If not, then the Zalman 9500 HSF is useless, the stock one should be good enough for your needs. If you decide to overclock, it would be almost required to upgrade your RAM to DDR2 800.

Do you plan to go SLI? If not, then downgrading your motherboard to a single slot PCI-16 slot would save you money. For example, the Gigabyte 965P S3 or the Asus P5B-E would better suite your needs.

Do you plan to upgrade your video card? If not, then you are better off downgrading your PSU. The Corsair 520W can support an upgrade to a 8800GTX video card, but 700W can be good for SLI 8800GTX's, not to mention that the Corsair 520W has modular cabling support. If you do plan to upgrade your video card to an 8800 series, then you would barely be able to work with a P180 case, because it does not fit (I think).[/quotea5de80311b]

Thanks Daggoth.

I wasn't sure about the stock heatsink that comes with the E6600 so that is why I was looking at the Zalmon. I'm not planning to overclock right away, but it is something that I might end up doing later on. I might nix the Zahlman for right now and then upgrade later if necessary.

I am planning to go SLI with the GeForce 7900 GS's -- so I think it would be best if I stuck with the mobo.

I think the power supply is where I am the most confused. I really don't know how much power I'm going to need. I'm not planning to upgrade to 8800's anytime soon. I'll take a look at the Corsair.

Is this the one you're talking about?
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001

dmorris68

12-01-2007 12:42:24

I'm fond of Enermax PSU's. Their Liberty series are highly efficent and well-built, and are modular as well. I have the 620W model in my gaming rig with SLI 7800GT's, and I love it.

ThermalTake is "okay" but not what I consider a top-quality PSU -- their quality tends to be all over the place depending on PSU model, with some downright bad. And remember that with PSU's you can't just go by wattage alone -- wattage ratings are mostly meaningless outside of the same brand and line of PSU's, because there are no measurement standards. The cheaper brands usually cheat like hell and have poor efficiency ratings (which most people ignore).

If you're going to build a high-end rig like you're suggesting (aside from the single 7900GS, which I'd consider mediocre) I personally would never skimp on a PSU, which is now one of the most critical components of modern, high-end PC rigs.

My brand suggestions

PC Power & Cooling (the very best, but quite expensive)
Enermax
Seasonic
Antec (the TruPower and Neo series, the cheapest ones are only so-so)
Fortron (a great brand for the money, if you can't afford better)

Daggoth

12-01-2007 13:08:33

Diggety - Yes, that is the one I was talking about.

Corsair is a VERY nice PSU. The ones dmorris mentioned are nice as well, but Corsair should be good enough for 7900 GSs in SLI.

Diggety

12-01-2007 13:22:35

[quote1a8be337fc="dmorris68"]I'm fond of Enermax PSU's. Their Liberty series are highly efficent and well-built, and are modular as well. I have the 620W model in my gaming rig with SLI 7800GT's, and I love it.

ThermalTake is "okay" but not what I consider a top-quality PSU -- their quality tends to be all over the place depending on PSU model, with some downright bad. And remember that with PSU's you can't just go by wattage alone -- wattage ratings are mostly meaningless outside of the same brand and line of PSU's, because there are no measurement standards. The cheaper brands usually cheat like hell and have poor efficiency ratings (which most people ignore).

If you're going to build a high-end rig like you're suggesting (aside from the single 7900GS, which I'd consider mediocre) I personally would never skimp on a PSU, which is now one of the most critical components of modern, high-end PC rigs.

My brand suggestions

PC Power & Cooling (the very best, but quite expensive)
Enermax
Seasonic
Antec (the TruPower and Neo series, the cheapest ones are only so-so)
Fortron (a great brand for the money, if you can't afford better)[/quote1a8be337fc]

Thanks DMorris. Your information is VERY helpful!

What do you think about this PSU?
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003

On the video cards -- I'm planning to go with two 7900GS's SLI -- You said that this card wad mediocre -- Is there another you'd suggest that similar in price? I'm not enough of an enthusiast to splurge $400 for an 8800GTX or more like $800 for two, but I'd like to be able to get very good performance.

Any other suggestions? What kind of cases would you guys suggest.

Allen626

12-01-2007 13:55:01

Usually SLi is a waste of money if you are not buying top end cards because for the same price as two 7900GSs you can get something that is a one card solution that is better. I mean if you can get a good deal on the 2 then it is worth it, just usually this is not the case.
I second the enermax is awsome for PSUs I have always had great luck with there stuff. Look at the amps on the 12v rail more then the wattage. But usually they are proportional.
From most reports I have heard that DDR2-800 is almost required for the e6600 and that board is pretty bad ass. You may as well take advantage of it and get some good ram. Ram is extremely important so don't pick out something cheap. anandtech.com has some good reviews on ddr2 ram.

Diggety

12-01-2007 20:28:19

[quote14ef26391a="Allen626"]Usually SLi is a waste of money if you are not buying top end cards because for the same price as two 7900GSs you can get something that is a one card solution that is better. I mean if you can get a good deal on the 2 then it is worth it, just usually this is not the case.
I second the enermax is awsome for PSUs I have always had great luck with there stuff. Look at the amps on the 12v rail more then the wattage. But usually they are proportional.
From most reports I have heard that DDR2-800 is almost required for the e6600 and that board is pretty bad ass. You may as well take advantage of it and get some good ram. Ram is extremely important so don't pick out something cheap. anandtech.com has some good reviews on ddr2 ram.[/quote14ef26391a]

Thanks Allen. I guess the idea behind the motherboard is it's ability to be expanded on. Shoud I become a millionairre in the next year or so, I'd like to be able to expand on my system. I'm guessing that SLI is the way the industry is going and once I get enough to buy two 8800's I will. I just want to make sure that I have the option in the future without having to buy a new Mobo. I'm going to pick up the Enermax PSU tomorrow. As for the RAM, I am still uncertain what to go with. Could you link me to a specific model and brand?

I went to Crucial's site to get the type of RAM earlier, but I'm, not sure what is best...

Akademikz

14-01-2007 20:32:40

Ok, here are my recommendations for the build

RAM Go with some DDR800, and OC it if you ever see the need to do so.
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144028
That particular RAM is apparently quite good, and works like a charm when you need to OC.

Processor If you can warrant the extra chunk of change for the increased cache, then so be it. But here you have two options
1.) Get the e6300 - it can on air easily reach speeds of 3.5ghz+ much like the e6600; the only difference is the cache size.
2.) Wait for another few weeks and get the e4300. It has the increased cache, but a lower stock speed. That may detract you from it, but many sites are reporting success of pushing that baby to 3.5ghz+ as well like the e6300/e6600. And guess what? It's only $165 USD.

Video Card In saving money if you choose to wait on the e4300 or downgrade to the e6600, I would get an 8800GTS/GTX. There are plans by NVidia to release an 8800GTS with half the memory at only $299 in the coming weeks, but at least that way you are still DX10 ready; more future-proof. Otherwise, the 7900 is a solid card. But personally, I'd make some adjustments and get the 8800GTS/GTX.

Case If you want a side window, and totally pimpin' case, go with the Antec Nine Hundred. If you want a more conservative look, then the P180 which you already have as a possibility. Heres a link to the Antec 900
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129021

If you have any more questions, or want some more help choosing some components feel free to give me a shout on AIM/MSN and I'd be glad to help out.

Allen626

14-01-2007 22:58:27

The GTS got released the same time the GTX did for the 8800 series so it is already out.

Akademikz

15-01-2007 08:48:49

[quote69b35d69c9="Allen626"]The GTS got released the same time the GTX did for the 8800 series so it is already out.[/quote69b35d69c9]

Perhaps you should re-read my post. I said there are plans to release a new 8800GTS with HALF the memory, and it's set to retail at a mere $299. There aren't many games out or coming in the near future that will demand the full memory of the regular GTS anyway, so why not get one with half the memory and save some cash. If you see yourself needed more video memory in the future, then upgrade or throw in another GTS in SLI.

Diggety

16-01-2007 20:06:45

Thanks Guys, I'll keep my eyes open for the new GTS and make a decision then about picking it up. RIght now I'm looking into RAM. I'm going with ddr2 800 but I'm trying to find a good deal.

Is it really necessary to have a sound card? The Mobo has a optical output which should handle digital output.

If so does anyone have any suggestions?

doylnea

16-01-2007 20:09:59

Not having spent any time researching this lately, the Chaintech Av710 was long recommended as a great audio card for $20. It's 7.1 with optical output, but if your MB will output in optical, why waste a PCI slot on an audio card?

/me stops talking out my ass

dmorris68

17-01-2007 05:25:46

Modern onboard audio is generally pretty good, unless you're a hardcore gamer or music buff who composes/mixes/etc on your PC. Some chipsets don't fully support EAX, despite their claims (RealTek recently got in hot water over this). Onboard audio has a higher CPU utilization than a dedicated sound card DSP, and can't touch the frequency response, SNR, and extra features such as 3D headphone algorithms from a high-end card like an X-Fi.

That said, if you're NOT a hardcore gamer who doesn't care about the latest sound effects in games (the X-Fi is amazing in games BTW), or how doesn't care about 24-bit audio at the highest fidelity, then onboard audio will be fine. Many years ago I stopped buying sound cards (and I'm an avid gamer) and used onboard audio, until the X-Fi came out, which was so far above-and-beyond any onboard audio on the market that I had to get it.

johnjimjones

17-01-2007 07:11:11

emphasis on hardcore (gamer). I game, but the on-board on my laptop is more than enough for many games.

dmorris68

17-01-2007 07:38:00

[quote4c44596483="johnjimjones"]emphasis on hardcore (gamer). I game, but the on-board on my laptop is more than enough for many games.[/quote4c44596483]
Heh, gaming on a laptop is pretty much a testament to NOT being hardcore about gaming. "Laptop" and "Hardcore gaming" are pretty much mutually exclusive terms. ;) P

Although the higher-end laptops are decent enough now to play RPG's and (much) older FPS's.

johnjimjones

17-01-2007 10:46:22

My laptop was pretty high end when I got it last year. 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 256MB graphics, 17" widescreen, although I admit the purchase was regrettable, big laptops = big problems when you want to use it with the battery.

It played Oblivion really well, that's about the latest game I've played it with.

pspparty

21-01-2007 15:20:21

i play cod2 with my laptop, but it could be better