Someplace to donate older (but still useful) computers

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=50725

doylnea

04-01-2007 16:50:22

As the title indicates, I have an older PC to donate somewhere (P3 1.0GHz) and an iMac like this one[=http//cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-G3-233-Teal-Blue-iMac-96MB-OS9-4GB-CD_W0QQitemZ170065628363QQihZ007QQcategoryZ80039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]like this one. I intended to use them for projects, and never got around to it. I'd like to donate them someplace that would use them, or at least gain some monetary value from my donation to them (ie, I want THEM to make the money).

Anyone have any suggestions, or are they too old to be of use?

dhru1405

04-01-2007 19:14:59

try the usf org

Tholek

04-01-2007 19:19:46

There's always freecycle[=http//www.freecycle.org]freecycle.

dmorris68

04-01-2007 19:23:26

I've facilitated some donations to some local needy families as well as to a needy church or two. Not all churches are flush with funds, and we have several around here with very small, poor congregations, that barely pay their mortgage and light bill. Schools might also be an option, but most won't take single PC's as they tend to equip several of the same models for consistency. Unless you happen to have what they use. But it's worth a try.

We also have some local thrift stores, including a Salvation Army store, that sell used PC's and components -- you can actually find a good deal in there sometimes if you're a tinkerer.

If you itemize deductions, be sure to get a receipt with a fair market value so you can score the deduction on your taxes. Some places will even give you a signed receipt with a blank value for you to fill in yourself.

This reminds me that a few years ago, Wal-Mart was clearing out some HP PC's that looked like they had been returned, but were in perfect condition. I bought one and shipped it to my wife's brother's church (he's the pastor) in New Mexico, as they had NO computer at all. Scored major wife points with that one, too. ;)

shaggz

05-01-2007 10:08:03

[quote55611503d5="dmorris68"]I've facilitated some donations to some local needy families as well as to a needy church or two. Not all churches are flush with funds, and we have several around here with very small, poor congregations, that barely pay their mortgage and light bill. Schools might also be an option, but most won't take single PC's as they tend to equip several of the same models for consistency. Unless you happen to have what they use. But it's worth a try.

We also have some local thrift stores, including a Salvation Army store, that sell used PC's and components -- you can actually find a good deal in there sometimes if you're a tinkerer.

If you itemize deductions, be sure to get a receipt with a fair market value so you can score the deduction on your taxes. Some places will even give you a signed receipt with a blank value for you to fill in yourself.

This reminds me that a few years ago, Wal-Mart was clearing out some HP PC's that looked like they had been returned, but were in perfect condition. I bought one and shipped it to my wife's brother's church (he's the pastor) in New Mexico, as they had NO computer at all. Scored major wife points with that one, too. ;)[/quote55611503d5]

getting wife points is always a plus! ... I put them together with spare parts outta junkers I gather while replacing and fixing other peoples PCs ... I usually just try to give mine away to anyone who needs them, sometime the local boys and girls club.

Wolfeman

05-01-2007 10:10:26

After I DOD wipe the HDD I usually give them to Goodwill...

TFOAF

05-01-2007 13:10:40

There's always my house. ^_^

Tholek

05-01-2007 17:56:14

To be honest, a P3 1.Ghz box sill has some usefulness for some dedicated purposes or general webbrowsing/office work. I don't think I'd part with it unless I had two or three P4s under the bed or something. ;)

doylnea

07-01-2007 19:14:15

Thanks guys. I've tried to find a place in the past and never had any success, perhaps I'll find something this time.