Harmony Remote - To buy or not to buy?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=50419

BD2006BD

30-12-2006 21:51:40

What do you guys think? Are these things a waste of money, or are they really useful? Does anyone here have one and want to comment on it?

This is the one I was looking at ( I have a 360 ). Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 Remote

My setup includes the following.

-Widescreen TV
-Direct TV TIVO Box
-DVD/CD Player Surround Sound System
-Xbox 360
-Nintendo Wii
-PS2
-Stereo that I lost the remote for, but would like a new one.

One of my concerns is about how it will emulate my TIVO remote. I like having a info, guide, Direct TV button.. this will still be on the Harmony right? Here are the pros and cons that I can think of. If you have any more pros/cons, feel free to list them. I am also looking to know if they have any cool features I don't know about.

PROS
- I would have a remote for my stereo and wouldn't have to order a new one from somewhere else.
- I sometimes wish I had a remote for my 360.
- Easily switch inputs when I want to Watch TV/ Play 360 / PS2 / Wii
- Play music from my PC on my Xbox 360 easier.

CONS
- Kinda Expensive (~$90)
- I could find a replacement remote for my stereo for cheaper.
- I can not be lazy and switch the inputs myself.
- I could live without a remote for my 360, and just use the controller.
- Will it input my TIVO buttons good enough? (input/guide/DirectTV/ect..)

What do you guys think? Is there anything else this remote can do that is cool that I'm not thinking of?

dmorris68

30-12-2006 23:36:02

They're outstanding. I have two 676's. Best remotes I've ever owned, and I've owned many. The wife and kids -- who for years always griped about our other remotes -- love them. I bought the first one when I built the family room HT rig almost a year ago. The wife loved it so much I had to buy another for the bedroom HT. )

Haven't messed with the 360 version, but all Harmony's run the same software and have the same IR command set & control capability. The differences are in button, battery, & LCD configurations, and the higher-end ones add RF control. The 676's were perfect for our needs, we like the buttons and it's layed out especially for DVR use. BTW I can control my 360 with it too (again, all Harmony's control the same equipment), although I only use it for power off/on at the moment.

compuguru

31-12-2006 17:35:05

I've got a Tivo and it works just fine with our Harmony Remote. The one I got a month or two ago (forgot which model) was $250 at BestBuy but Amazon had it for $150. Controls everything without a problem.

drummer_kew_03

01-01-2007 00:31:10

I was really thinking about buying this remote the week before christmas. I'm sick of using 4 remotes. I saw it on sale on amazon for $60, but I had just spent a lot on christmas gifts and didn't want to spend more. I'm still thinking about getting it if I see a good deal. Everything i've seen says it's a great buy.

Fugger

02-01-2007 10:51:39

Has anyone used one of these in conjunction with a Comcast Motorola DVR box? I hate hate hate the box but there is no way I'm going to pay over a thousand bucks for a 3rd gen TiVo.

I'm trying to talk the lady into getting one of these but she hates universal remotes. I just may use this thread to try and change her mind.

Wolfeman

02-01-2007 12:48:36

I have a Harmony 890 and its AWESOME! Best accessory you can own for a home theater. It makes life so much easier than 5 remotes. 1 button switches everything you need. Setup was easy too. I went for the 890 because it has RF so I don't have to worry about obstructions...

dmorris68

02-01-2007 15:15:54

[quoteffe82f067d="Fugger"]Has anyone used one of these in conjunction with a Comcast Motorola DVR box? I hate hate hate the box but there is no way I'm going to pay over a thousand bucks for a 3rd gen TiVo.[/quoteffe82f067d]
You talking about the MOXI? If so, then yes -- I have 3 MOXI's, two of which are controlled by Harmony remotes.

Harmony's can control just about anything -- I've yet to see something they didn't have in their library (they often get the codes in their library before new equipment is even released). On the off-chance that you have oddball piece of equipment they don't have in their library, you can train the Harmony from your device's remote. So essentially it can control lianyli IR equipment.

[quoteffe82f067d="Fugger"]I'm trying to talk the lady into getting one of these but she hates universal remotes. I just may use this thread to try and change her mind.[/quoteffe82f067d]
My wife always hated them too, because they never controlled everything easily. On our last universal you still had to press a minimum of 3-4 buttons, in the proper sequence, to do anything. And she could never seem to get it right. With the Harmony it's 1 button to watch DVD's, 1 button to watch TV, 1 button for XBOX360, etc. And 1 button to turn everything off. You only get 3 dedicated activity buttons, but you can assign activities to the LCD menu and have more.

Wolfeman

02-01-2007 17:09:50

[quote08de7cb9d1="dmorris68"][quote08de7cb9d1="Fugger"]I'm trying to talk the lady into getting one of these but she hates universal remotes. I just may use this thread to try and change her mind.[/quote08de7cb9d1]
My wife always hated them too, because they never controlled everything easily. On our last universal you still had to press a minimum of 3-4 buttons, in the proper sequence, to do anything. And she could never seem to get it right. With the Harmony it's 1 button to watch DVD's, 1 button to watch TV, 1 button for XBOX360, etc. And 1 button to turn everything off. You only get 3 dedicated activity buttons, but you can assign activities to the LCD menu and have more.[/quote08de7cb9d1]
No joke I used to have to have instructions for my TV. Now even my grandma can use the remote. Push 1 button, TV comes on to the correct input, correct sound, and all the buttons are right. Its really the best. There are other things out there that can do the same but they are a bitch to program. The harmony's web interface is a snap...

guelah75

02-01-2007 20:33:54

I have a Harmony 880, and it is GREAT! It does everything you could want, controls everything...MOXI box TV DVD 360 AV

would def recommend

BD2006BD

02-01-2007 23:13:37

Do you guys think the Harmony 880 is much better than the Xbox 360 Harmony Remote? The 880 is ~$140, and the Xbox 360 one is ~$90. Is it worth the $50 difference?

dmorris68

03-01-2007 06:12:52

[quote4adaca40c6="BD2006BD"]Do you guys think the Harmony 880 is much better than the Xbox 360 Harmony Remote? The 880 is ~$140, and the Xbox 360 one is ~$90. Is it worth the $50 difference?[/quote4adaca40c6]
Probably, but it depends on your tastes and how many features you want.

The 880 is rechargeable, has a color LCD, and 8 LCD menu buttons.

The 360 remote uses AAA's as far as I know, has a monochrome LCD, and only 4 LCD menu buttons.

You can page through multiple LCD screens, so you wouldn't lose device functionality with the 360 remote, you just wouldn't have as many options per LCD screen.

The battery issue is also subjective. I like AAA's, you can replace them whenever, and I have an 8-bay charger full of rechargeable AA/AAA's at all times. My 676's last for a couple months on a set of batteries, then I just drop in another rechargeable set. With the 880, if you forgot to put it in the cradle, or it slips off the contacts, your remote is dead and you can't use it until it charges.

You also may prefer the buttons on the 360 remote, as they are separated. One of the major complaints of the 880 and its ilk are the buttons have no separation between them, making it harder to feel your way between buttons in the dark, or without looking down at the remote. That's a bigger issue for some people than for others, obviously.

As far as functionality, and what they control, they'll be identical as I said earlier. The differences between Harmony remotes are all generally battery or cosmetic, not in terms of what they control (aside from the addition of RF support in the higher-end Harmony models).

drummer_kew_03

03-01-2007 06:29:23

Now I wish I would've gotten it when it was on sale for <$60 awhile ago. cry

Wolfeman

03-01-2007 12:07:58

I say 880. They button layout is better and you can still use it on your 360...

guelah75

03-01-2007 14:07:09

you dont need light to see the controls of the 880... its got blue lights that show you where the buttons are

dmorris68

03-01-2007 15:01:29

[quote5775b0fe9c="guelah75"]you dont need light to see the controls of the 880... its got blue lights that show you where the buttons are[/quote5775b0fe9c]
All Harmony's have backlights AFAIK, but it doesn't come on until you hit a button. Depending on how you have it configured -- any button, activity button, or glow button only. You don't want to hit the liwrongli button, like a channel button that changes the channel you're watching. That's why I like being able to feel my way around a remote, to at least get to the glow button by feel. )

Or are you saying the 880 backlight is on all the time? That would be a killer drain on battery life.

guelah75

03-01-2007 17:19:25

not all the time but on mine, when you pick the remote up and tilt the top of the remote up the lights come on.....with no pushing of any button whatsoever

i pick it up and the lights and the lcd screen both light up

just tried it to make sure

the barganist.com has the 550 on sale right now just to let everyone know

for 83.88 not sure if thats a good deal or not

dmorris68

03-01-2007 17:38:58

Oh, that sounds like a neat feature. Didn't know they had motion sensitive backlights. My next one might be an 8xx series.

Wolfeman

23-01-2007 13:43:16

880 on sale arrow http//forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=431876

ILoveToys

30-06-2007 16:48:56

I just ordered the 890 for 223....Don't know if it was a good deal, but I had amazon giftcard cash burning a hole in my pocket, and I would love to put some of my components behind closed doors and use the RF.

samz465

30-06-2007 19:34:00

I'm actually in the middle of deciding whether to buy one of these or not..
I saw a 659 (No box though) on ebay for $60 shipped...But should I just wait, or get it now?
I'm using it for a Plasma moniter, Sound reciever, xbox 360, and a VCR.
I'm also considering getting one for the family room b/c we have like 6 remotes there and it's REALLY annoying.

-Samad

ILoveToys

30-06-2007 19:40:16

I am using it for my 360, tivo, plasma, resceiver, and vcr....oh yeah and dvd player and satelite receiver.

dmorris68

30-06-2007 20:28:53

[quote18fe604ac5="samz465"]I'm actually in the middle of deciding whether to buy one of these or not..
I saw a 659 (No box though) on ebay for $60 shipped...But should I just wait, or get it now?
I'm using it for a Plasma moniter, Sound reciever, xbox 360, and a VCR.
I'm also considering getting one for the family room b/c we have like 6 remotes there and it's REALLY annoying.

-Samad[/quote18fe604ac5]
If you have a Sam's Club membership or know somebody who does, my local store sells the 676 for like $75. I have two of them (not from there, I paid like $120 each over a year ago), and I highly recommend them. Especially over a used, lower-end 659 with no box for $60.