Another TV thread

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49524

JKirk

09-12-2006 10:48:42

Well, I hate to make another TV thread but I made an impulse buy when I saw the last 42 inch Samsung plasma TV at our local TV store for $1500. I bought the HP-S4253 model and it's got everything I could possibly ask for. The reviews on Cnet are like 6.5 which is kind of low but the customer ratings are excellent (8.5) so I figured that since I am the average "TV guy", it would be perfect. Like I said, I got it for like $1600 with tax and a two year warranty. Yes, I know you can get it for like $100 cheaper online but I would have rather bought it in store so I wouldn't have to worry about damages like I had with about two other packages I bought. You guys think that's a good deal for this TV? +KMA for opinions.

Here are the specs

li Screen size 42 inches
li TV type Plasma
li HDTV capable Yes, with integrated ATSC tuner
li Resolution 1024 x 768 pixels
li Aspect ratio 169
li Speaker wattage per channel 10 watts
li Number of speakers 2
li Response time n/a
li Brightness 1300 cd/m2
li Contrast ratio 10,0001
li Viewing angle 175 degrees
li Comb filter 3D Y/C digital comb filter
li 32 pulldown correction No
li Scan velocity modulation No
li Line doubling No
li Color temperature control No
li Includes DVD player No
li Includes VCR No
li Signal type NTSC, ATSC
li Auto channel setup Yes
li Closed captioning Yes
li Last-channel recall Yes
li Multilingual menu Yes
li Parental control Yes
li Picture-in-picture (PIP) Yes
li Remote control Yes
li SAP Yes
li Sleep timer Yes
li Composite A/V 2
li S-Video 2
li Component video 2
li DVI 0
li HDMI 2
li RF 2
li PC VGA 1
li USB 0
li Firewire 0
li Headphone jack 0
li Front/Side AV jacks Side
li Surround sound Yes, virtual
li Sound leveler system Yes
li Item width 41.5 inches
li Item height 30.1 inches with stand
li Item depth 13.4 inches with stand
li Item weight 108 pounds
li Stand included Yes
li Wall mount type Information unavailable
li Power consumption 380 watts
li Warranty 1 year parts and labor
li In the box Plasma TV, remote control (with batteries), power cord, printed operating instructions

J4320

09-12-2006 11:14:29

720p and 1080i I presume? I got the Vizio 42" Plasma that is pretty much the same as what you got but it's a new brand so I guess that's why it was cheaper. I got it for $999 with no tax at Costco (in Portland there is no sales tax). They sold out SUPER fast that morning. This guy tried to get one with a normal shopping cart but the employees wouldn't let him get it, they told him that he needed one of those platform carts and he ran back to get one. By the time he got back, all 50 or so of them were taken. shock

Somehow my family managed to get two, one in my room, and one in the living room.

Anyway, I LOVE this TV and it comes with a lifetime warranty at Costco. If I'm not happy with it for any reason at all, I can take it back and I'll have $999 store credit and I can buy another TV if I want.

So 6 or 7 years down the road (even if it's still in perfect condition) I can just return it and get a newer technology. Right now I couldn't be anymore happier with this thing. It is SO bright and vibrant and beautiful. I compared it with the 42" Panasonic model and I couldn't even tell a difference. I also like the black and silver sleek design that it's got going on with it. The stand for it is round and really stable, and modern looking.

JKirk

09-12-2006 11:20:32

Oh yeah, that is a good deal. Mine is beautiful looking and I love it too but I can't figure out why Cnet gave it 6.5? The review thing says it has "loud video noise" and a green tinge but I see no green whatsoever. It's got so many features and ports that I could do anything I wanted. It's even got a burn out feature that gets rid of any burn-in images.

J4320

09-12-2006 11:37:49

Yeah your TV should be fine. The biggest thing I would worry about is how far is your investment going to take you?

For $1,500 you could get this ---

Link[=http//www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11165569&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1]Link

If anything goes wrong with it or you want something else, you can just take it back. What if some new technology comes out in 2 years or something goes wrong with your TV? You'll be stuck with it.

If I were you I'd take it back and go get the 50" Vizio. I read in a comment from Engadget that Vizio is a company that broke off from Panasonic (I'd probably research that first to be sure though, you can't always believe rumors you hear lol).

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you you'll be happier with it.

liEDITli

[quote353c553ae6]

Valid for orders placed December 1, 2006

through December 11, 2006.

Online price

$1,699.99

Less coupon

-$200.00

YOUR COST

$1,499.99[/quote353c553ae6]

Just a heads up there. ;)

JKirk

09-12-2006 11:44:43

Eh, I've seen a Vizio in the local Sam's Club and I think I'm going to stick with Samsung, no offense. The Samsung is only 8 inches smaller and looks more attractive with the glossy black in my opinion. The features of the Samsung also out weigh the Vizio in my opinion. But nevertheless, I don't think the Vizio is a bad TV.

J4320

09-12-2006 12:18:05

[quote68b9e0f09d="JKirk"]Eh, I've seen a Vizio in the local Sam's Club and I think I'm going to stick with Samsung, no offense. The Samsung is only 8 inches smaller and looks more attractive with the glossy black in my opinion. The features of the Samsung also out weigh the Vizio in my opinion. But nevertheless, I don't think the Vizio is a bad TV.[/quote68b9e0f09d]

Yeah I'm not diehard on trying to get you to buy a Vizio, I just want you to consider the warranty that places like Costco offer. wink

I for one couldn't be any happier with my Vizio.

JKirk

09-12-2006 12:25:04

Ah, yeah I have to admit that warranty is incredible but I don't have a Costco within at least 300 miles from here. lol

J4320

09-12-2006 12:28:03

[quote751e135cd8="JKirk"]Ah, yeah I have to admit that warranty is incredible but I don't have a Costco within at least 300 miles from here. lol[/quote751e135cd8]

That's not good. P

You might want to check out what the Sam's Club warranty is like. It's probably not the same though.

zdub08

09-12-2006 15:23:08

http//www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2702276&sku=T24-4208

what do you guys think of this one?

JKirk

09-12-2006 15:27:22

Eh, the specs look alright but I'm telling you, before you buy a TV that's going to cost you a thousand or so then go look at some at the store. Some of the plasmas I saw online at the store looked like complete shite. Some of the Sharp and Panasonics I saw made me want to throw up, I did see a few Toshibas but I can't remember what they looked like. Keep in mind it is DLP and I don't think its 1080i, the specs aren't really thorough.

dmorris68

09-12-2006 16:26:39

I agree you should check out any TV in person before ordering online. However you have to be careful with that too. Many stores just slap a TV up and don't tune it, then feed it a bad signal. [bf58476bd26]Any[/bf58476bd26] high-end HDTV is going to look like crap if it's not setup right and fed a proper signal. If you have a Hi-Fi shop around, like maybe a Tweeter or Vann's, check them out first. Most of your mass-market merchandisers like BestBuy, CircuitCity, Sears, etc. will seldom show you how good a TV can look.

BTW JKirk, Panasonics are widely considered the best plasmas around. Samsung is a great brand, but I've never thought as much of their plasmas. I would take one over a Vizio though, however the Vizio's are good for the money.

And no, Sam's Club's warranty is nothing like Costco's. Actually it isn't a "warranty" it's a return policy. Costco allows you to return anything (with a few exceptions, like computers) at any time -- even years and years later -- and get what you paid for it in store credit. Sams' return policy is basically the same as Wal-Marts, i.e. liberal but not as generous as Costco's.

JKirk

09-12-2006 16:36:05

[quote268d49f1f8="dmorris68"]I agree you should check out any TV in person before ordering online. However you have to be careful with that too. Many stores just slap a TV up and don't tune it, then feed it a bad signal. [b268d49f1f8]Any[/b268d49f1f8] high-end HDTV is going to look like crap if it's not setup right and fed a proper signal. If you have a Hi-Fi shop around, like maybe a Tweeter or Vann's, check them out first. Most of your mass-market merchandisers like BestBuy, CircuitCity, Sears, etc. will seldom show you how good a TV can look.

BTW JKirk, Panasonics are widely considered the best plasmas around. Samsung is a great brand, but I've never thought as much of their plasmas. I would take one over a Vizio though, however the Vizio's are good for the money.
[/quote268d49f1f8]

Oh yeah, I was talking about some Panasonic LCD's that I saw and a lowend plasma. I saw some nice Panasonic's but they were all $2,500 and upwards and if I had that I'd take the Sony XRD. But anyhow, Dmorris, I heard some complaints about the "video noise" any idea how bad that can be? I've never heard that term nor anything about "artifacts" and they were in a customer review. So if could shed some knowledge on those two terms I will reward you with a pot of karma. TIA.

dmorris68

09-12-2006 18:09:04

Artifacting and noise can result from several sources. The most common source is a poor video signal, which can't really be blamed on the TV. Another common source is the scaler used in the TV itself -- HDTV's scale SD and resolutions other than their native resolution, to the native resolution. There are better scalers and worse scalers. Worse scalers will introduce artifacting (blockiness or pixelation) along lines and edges of objects, or be so slow and inefficient as to introduce smearing or other anomalies, regardless of the panel's response time.

What some people don't realize, especially when they're new to HDTV's, is that often the video signal is the one with the problems. Subtle video artifacts or noise may be unnoticeable on smaller screens or CRT's. A super-duper high-resolution HDTV can reveal minute flaws in a signal that just went unnoticed before, but the TV itself usually gets blamed.

JKirk

09-12-2006 18:29:24

Wow, are you serious? But the Cnet people wouldn't be making those kind of mistakes by blaming the TV though, right? I think the Cnet people are a little bit too "hardcore" enthusiasts of plasma TV's. I saw one in the store and it looked really good so I'm hoping for the best. Is there anything else informational you can provide, Almighty One?

PS +KMA for the lesson.. Artifacting 101. lol

dmorris68

09-12-2006 18:50:20

I'm not a huge fan of plasmas personally -- I have my 42" Panasonic through I-Deal. The only way I'd want to buy a plasma is if I had to mount it on a wall. Otherwise I'd rather have (and DO have) an SXRD or a good DLP.

JKirk

10-12-2006 08:02:17

Ut oh, J4320, your plan might be foiled.

http//duggmirror.com/tech_news/Costco_To_Make_Return_Policy_Stricter/

I know it's just a rumor but I see where Costco is coming at. I mean people are buying snow blowers in the winter and returning them in the summer. Then, people are buying lawnmowers and grills in the summer and returning them in the winter. lol What a ripoff.

dmorris68

10-12-2006 08:11:57

Doesn't surprise me -- what surprises me is that they took this long.

The deals forums are full of people bragging about buying stuff and returning it when they don't want it any more. Before they exempted computers, people would get a new computer every 2-3 years, free of charge. Free upgrades for life, LOL. One guy bought a set of golf clubs to take up golf, played for a couple years, got bored with it and took the clubs back. Didn't even bother to clean them up. Got full credit for them. roll

People abusing a policy like that was bound to lead to a change eventually. I know they're a membership club, but it takes a helluva lot of membership fees to pay for one person's greed.

JKirk

10-12-2006 08:15:24

[quote41471c28a7="dmorris68"]Doesn't surprise me -- what surprises me is that they took this long.

The deals forums are full of people bragging about buying stuff and returning it when they don't want it any more. Before they exempted computers, people would get a new computer every 2-3 years, free of charge. Free upgrades for life, LOL. One guy bought a set of golf clubs to take up golf, played for a couple years, got bored with it and took the clubs back. Didn't even bother to clean them up. Got full credit for them. roll

People abusing a policy like that was bound to lead to a change eventually. I know they're a membership club, but it takes a helluva lot of membership fees to pay for one person's greed.[/quote41471c28a7]

Oh yeah, no offense to J4 but this policy is pretty much a joke in my opinion. I mean yeah, it's great for the customer but so many people abuse it that it can't be good for Costco. I seriously wouldn't count on this policy being around much longer and I definitely wouldn't count on it being there when you are ready to get rid of that Vizio if there ever comes a time.

J4320

10-12-2006 08:30:20

Damn that sucks. (

Oh well, I'm fine with my Vizio anyway... but it would be pretty sweet to take it back and get updated in a few years. cry

JPeeper

10-12-2006 18:42:29

Holy crap, 106 pounds. My 50" DLP weighs 60..

JKirk

10-12-2006 19:12:21

[quote95ab07bceb="JPeeper"]Holy crap, 106 pounds. My 50" DLP weighs 60..[/quote95ab07bceb]

shock So, you picked out 108 lbs to comment about out of all those specs? lol

johnjimjones

10-12-2006 20:23:00

I was checking out this one, it may be what you're looking for too.

http//www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS4051D-Wide-Integrated-Tuner/dp/B000ELOQS2/sr=8-1/qid=1165463260/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5187029-5368010?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

OrderGiftsFree

10-12-2006 21:30:24

My gf's mom just bought a 42 inch for 1300. It was a vizio or something like that, but the image seemed to show pretty well. LCD Flat Screen.

kala

14-12-2006 18:23:27

Instead of creating another TV thread, I want to just ask here. I hope you don't mind JKirk.

I am able to get this TV at a very reasonable price from eBay for about $800 USD, used for 3 months

http//www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN-R328W-Widescreen-HDTV-Ready-Flat-Panel/dp/B0009612H0

Considering this is a old model, do you think I should still go for it? I can try to bargain with the seller for around $700 USD. I will need this TV for regular TV viewing and I plan to purchase a Wii in the near future. I am looking for a TV that is 26'' or bigger, maybe even 23'' if I can get a good deal. Any suggestions?

Thanks

JKirk

14-12-2006 18:41:55

No problem, anyone is free to post questions here if they want. Anyways, it's definitely a nice TV but I don't know about the three months of use. Have you seen the TV in person? That might be best especially if it's used and on eBay.

kala

14-12-2006 19:00:36

[quote6248583e24="JKirk"]No problem, anyone is free to post questions here if they want. Anyways, it's definitely a nice TV but I don't know about the three months of use. Have you seen the TV in person? That might be best especially if it's used and on eBay.[/quote6248583e24]

3 months is noting. And he said it was used barely by his bro. So, he is getting rid of it. Seems like a good eBayer. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's pretty old. I don't want to get an outdated tv, you know? Anyone else with suggestions on this TV?

kala

15-12-2006 13:59:40

dmorris, how about you?

dmorris68

15-12-2006 14:44:41

[quote8862d41193="kala"]dmorris, how about you?[/quote8862d41193]
I think the TV is fine -- I like Samsung stuff although I'm not a large LCD fan -- but I would be most concerned about buying a such a large and delicate big-ticket item on eBay.

kala

15-12-2006 15:37:22

[quotea1d2862ccf="dmorris68"][quotea1d2862ccf="kala"]dmorris, how about you?[/quotea1d2862ccf]
I think the TV is fine -- I like Samsung stuff although I'm not a large LCD fan -- but I would be most concerned about buying a such a large and delicate big-ticket item on eBay.[/quotea1d2862ccf]

I'm actually not too worried about that. I was just concerned, that this is a pretty old TV now, as in, since it''s release. So, I was wondering if it isn't too old. I would need it for a Wii most likely, that's it. No movies or anything like that. Just for the Wii and cable. I am still a bit concerned on the age of this TV and I'm just to tempted to wait for Boxing Day, which is like Black Friday in Canada. I'm confused ?

dmorris68

15-12-2006 17:56:28

That TV is not very old, so that should not be a concern in and of itself. If it was well cared for, i.e. not banged around, it should last for many years.

kala

15-12-2006 18:05:16

[quote1928b4fb1b="dmorris68"]That TV is not very old, so that should not be a concern in and of itself. If it was well cared for, i.e. not banged around, it should last for many years.[/quote1928b4fb1b]

Thanks for the advice. Considering 3 months of use and what the eBayer is saying, seems like I don't need to worry. Will let you know what the outcome is.

kala

18-12-2006 17:42:40

Alrite, here's another question for you dmorris

Is this TV worth the $800 USD value

http//www.world-import.com/klv26S200a.htm

I can get it brand new off of a local classified ad.

dmorris68

18-12-2006 18:37:57

I would say no. 26" for $800 is high, even if it is a Sony. I love Sony and all, but that's just not an attractive price to me. I can buy a 26" Toshiba LCD liwithli built-in DVD player for under $700. I know because the wife is wanting me to buy one for the playroom, so I've been price shopping. )

kala

18-12-2006 18:42:26

Alrite, I'll take your word. I'm ganna just wait for Boxing day now instead of searching, lol. Btw, how are Toshiba LCDs? They are pretty darn cheap, why?

dmorris68

18-12-2006 18:46:56

[quote510e3f6d58="kala"]Alrite, I'll take your word. I'm ganna just wait for Boxing day now instead of searching, lol. Btw, how are Toshiba LCDs? They are pretty darn cheap, why?[/quote510e3f6d58]
The Toshiba's with DVD players built-in that I'm looking at, seem quite nice. They were actually one of the better looking LCD's in their class when I checked them out at BestBuy. I won't buy from BB of course, but stores like that are handy to lay eyes on something before you buy it. I'd recommend you try to do the same before spending a lot of money on a TV you might wind up disappointed with.

Toshiba is a pretty decent brand actually -- I'd take one over a lot of the other budget brands like Syntax-Olevia and Sanyo.

kala

18-12-2006 20:43:06

How about this one!

http//www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075254&catid=23244

Almost new one going for $650 O! I wanna take ittttt

dmorris68

18-12-2006 21:02:30

[quotebb1d7c58d6="kala"]How about this one!

http//www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075254&catid=23244

Almost new one going for $650 O! I wanna take ittttt[/quotebb1d7c58d6]
Again, I suggest you vist a BB and lay eyes on it. Different people have different levels of "tolerance" when it comes to picture quality. BB sells a lot of the cheap Westinghouse TV's and monitors, and a lot of folks seem to like them considering what they paid for them. Personally, I don't care for them. Picture quality is pretty lousy from what I've seen. But if the pricequality ratio is right for you, then consider it a good buy.

kala

18-12-2006 21:03:57

yYea, I've seen it in person. It's not that bad, plus my friend just bought it for $1000 + tax last week, he's surely happy with it. I was reading on Amazon that it doesn't have a HDMI port!?

dmorris68

18-12-2006 21:25:05

[quotec24ef2f644="kala"]yYea, I've seen it in person. It's not that bad, plus my friend just bought it for $1000 + tax last week, he's surely happy with it. I was reading on Amazon that it doesn't have a HDMI port!?[/quotec24ef2f644]
It doesn't have HDMI that I can tell, but it does have DVI. HDMI is DVI+audio+DRM, the video signal is the same between DVI and HDMI. If you have an HDMI output device that doesn't actually require a DRM-compliant TV, then you can use an HDMI->DVI cable or adapter. They're cheap.

kala

19-12-2006 20:07:09

I went to BB today, checked out the Westinghouse one and a few others. Turns out that the WH was sold to someone else, oh well, I think it's to big for what I need it for.

26" seems like the ideal screen size for my needs (and space). One TV that sort of stood out from the 26" range was the Toshiba. This one

http//www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10075863&logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B26C5CAD785174A5AAC77497926176E2A927DE5A4207A94A53E3B5AAF7FBEAAB3BE408CB85580242A2E2D36FC7B7C3F25BD0AA6CC3B3BC1F126F95B662D7B7445AD77E02200B73FBF84D96BDF90130386C43B84975363471A8E07B64166B0AB16D4F47E70134C4A7089C7ED7D39A3EAA62552AD337A6E90E4F6E3B9AFB5E16D4C05EE05C68384A7BC4291D3C8643DB9D0B20AF492870B9B12D7CAEF79D80F8A768128650FE28C2AA86BE00C6427036FD7BE58E72BA142BE4A6E5F3807B6C17B07F

Notice it includes free HDTV and $50 off! O Price is pretty darn good for my budget. And what do you know, I found it on eBay up for auction, brand new. I'm keeping a close eye on it. But, dmorris, any suggestions/advice?

Here's some more detail on it http//www.avdeals.ca/toshibalcdtv/26hl86.htm

Noticed it has a built in tuner, does that mean I can get some HD channels with an antenna? The 8001 contrast ratio doesn't sound too appealing though. Keep in mind, I will be using this TV for a Nintendo Wii in the near future.

Also, how would this TV be http//www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1003015
I can get it for the same price as the Toshiba, brand new!

Thanks!

JKirk

19-12-2006 20:26:04

This discusses that TV a little bit

http//reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_26HL66_LCD_TV_26/4505-6482_7-32060381.html

Doesn't look too bad.

kala

19-12-2006 20:29:44

Yea, I read that. From the reviews and comments it seems good and in person it was very nice in my opinion. For the money, I think this TV is worth it. I might even get it from online since it has that $50 off too.

Anyone know if you can use GiftCards online?!?

Gigante

20-12-2006 12:12:29

Yes you can use giftcards online Kala.

I am returning my westinghouse 32" hdtv tomorrow to best buy that I bought at Black Friday because th reason they were selling all the westinghouse so cheap is because they were coming out with a model to fix their problem. They have a lot of issues with being able to detect cabl signals. Bought my grandparents one and they needed to unplug and plug back in the cable each time for it to be picked up. We took theirs back and there were two other people returning the same TV and the lady said they have gotten a ton of them. Best Buy has discontinued to carry the model because of the problems. Ones out on display should be the updated versions.

Guess I am going back on the TV market.

kala

20-12-2006 12:54:46

That sucks Gigante. I was going to get the Westinghouse as well, but decided not to.

Reason why I asked if I can use Giftcards online was because they had a $50 off coupon available, but I went to BB today and picked up the Toshiba 26" that I mentioned before and they still gave me the $50 off after I asked. I was lucky, because I got the last one available. Haven't opened it yet, just got home. And I got a whole year of HDTV for FREE! Total came to $740 USD with tax, can't beat that.

kala

20-12-2006 13:40:53

Now, what I need to know is which HDMI cable to buy. Anything else to consider for my new TV?

Should 6ft be enough?

http//www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2&style=

Any one with experience on these lower end cables? Suggestions?

dmorris68

20-12-2006 14:01:14

Those cables will work fine, but I always buy the 24AWG Premium cables from Monoprice. Better build quality than Monster, BlueJeans, and the other rip-off boutique cables, at a fraction of the price. They are kinda stiff and heavy, though.

kala

20-12-2006 15:50:45

I can't find the ones you mentioned dmorris, can you show me the link please. Will 6 ft suffice or should I go for 10, 15?

Btw, I never tried using a S-Video cable, but is it going to make much of a difference on SD?

I just hooked up the TV to my regular SD cable, and I am extremely happy with the results after a few tweaks. It practically looks like HD! I don't see the need to by a Samsung, Sony or any other when you can get this level of quality at such a low price! D

double_d

20-12-2006 16:13:35

[quotee539591c9b="kala"]I just hooked up the TV to my regular SD cable, and I am extremely happy with the results after a few tweaks. It practically looks like HD! I don't see the need to by a Samsung, Sony or any other when you can get this level of quality at such a low price! D[/quotee539591c9b]

You've seen 720p/1080i programming before, right?

kala

20-12-2006 16:23:34

[quote925ba0110f="double_d"][quote925ba0110f="kala"]I just hooked up the TV to my regular SD cable, and I am extremely happy with the results after a few tweaks. It practically looks like HD! I don't see the need to by a Samsung, Sony or any other when you can get this level of quality at such a low price! D[/quote925ba0110f]

You've seen 720p/1080i programming before, right?[/quote925ba0110f]

Well at BB not on my own tv, yet. I got 1 year of free hdtv with this tv too. They gave me a kit with an activation code, so after I activate it and receive the HD box, I can view it 720p/1080i programming.

Powerbook

20-12-2006 16:25:16

http//www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS4051D-Wide-Integrated-Tuner/dp/B000ELOQS2/sr=8-2/qid=1166660678/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-2821776-9753660?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I wanna get this so bad. It's so so sexy.

dmorris68

20-12-2006 17:18:29

[quote4526443a02="kala"]I can't find the ones you mentioned dmorris, can you show me the link please. Will 6 ft suffice or should I go for 10, 15?[/quote4526443a02]
All Here are all Monoprice HDMI cables.[=http//www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=]All Here are all Monoprice HDMI cables. Look for the "High-Quality 24AWG" cables.

Buy just the length you need. Excess cable, especially when a thick, stiff cable like these, is hard to route out of the way. Plus the additional resistance can potentially result in more signal loss or degradation.

[quote4526443a02="kala"]Btw, I never tried using a S-Video cable, but is it going to make much of a difference on SD? [/quote4526443a02]
S-Video is a lot better than composite, but not component or HDMI. Don't use S-Video unless you have to.

[quote4526443a02="kala"]I just hooked up the TV to my regular SD cable, and I am extremely happy with the results after a few tweaks. It practically looks like HD! I don't see the need to by a Samsung, Sony or any other when you can get this level of quality at such a low price! D[/quote4526443a02]
I can assure you it won't look as good as HD. ) Once you see a true 720p/1080i HD image, you'll throw rocks at SD. But it's good to hear that SD looks acceptable to you -- on too many HDTV's with mediocre SD signals, the result is garbage, often worse than on a standard set. Oh, and for best results, try to calibrate it properly. HDTV's are seldom calibrated properly from the factory. I bought AVIA's Guide to Home Theater[=http//www.amazon.com/AVIA-Guide-Home-Theater/dp/630551982X/sr=8-1/qid=1166663828/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6095109-6935158?ie=UTF8&s=dvd]AVIA's Guide to Home Theater to calibrate both my SXRD and my plasma.

JKirk

20-12-2006 17:47:10

Dmorris, can you recommend anything a little less "hardcore", no offense, but I just need video calibration and that's probably more than I actually need. ) TY KMA!!!!

dmorris68

20-12-2006 18:11:26

[quote9c31472292="JKirk"]Dmorris, can you recommend anything a little less "hardcore", no offense, but I just need video calibration and that's probably more than I actually need. ) TY KMA!!!![/quote9c31472292]
AVIA is the standard among enthusiasts, but there are a few others, such as Digital Video Essentials[=http//www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Entertainment-Component/dp/B00005PJ70/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b/104-6095109-6935158]Digital Video Essentials. If you read the first Amazon user review under the AVIA page, they have both and summarize the differences. However it's half the cost, so you get what you pay for. ;)

[quote9c31472292="Amazon Reviewer"]Having purchased both discs, I have very strong feelings about this. Avia bests VE in almost every respect

1. Navigation On VE, the navigation is handled by a very confusing set of menus within menus. On my DVD remote, I could only access one of the menus using a button that I otherwise never use. Until I figured this out, the only way I could skip through the initial (not very useful) audio stuff was to fast forward! Avia's menus work like every other menu I have ever used. No problem with navigation.

2. Color calibration VE offers only a blue filter. However, Avia provides red, blue, and green filters and allows you set each independently.

3. Sharpness VE simply tells you to turn your sharpness all the way down. The pattern for setting sharpness is so under explained, it is useless. Avia provides a full explanation and resulted in my setting the sharpness level considerably above zero.

4. Brightness and Contrast settings VE provides only static bars (and requires that your DVD passes pure black). Avia provides bars that flash. This makes getting proper settings much easier. Also, your DVD doesn't have to pass pure black.[/quote9c31472292]

BTW I bought my AVIA DVD from DeepDiscountDVD.[=http//search.deepdiscountdvd.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=avia&search.x=0&search.y=0]DeepDiscountDVD. It's 5 bucks cheaper than Amazon.

double_d

20-12-2006 18:22:11

Thanks for the link. I never thought of buying Avia from DeepDiscountDVD. Duh!

doylnea

20-12-2006 18:23:32

fwiw, I used VE for my TV and was less than impressed.

JKirk

20-12-2006 18:33:42

I might obtain a copy of Avia somehow... Thanks for the information. ;)

kala

20-12-2006 18:34:19

Thanks for all the help dmorris +KMA!

doylnea

20-12-2006 18:44:39

[quote5c7068b5ef="JKirk"]I might obtain a copy of Avia somehow... Thanks for the information. ;)[/quote5c7068b5ef]

alot of what you use for calibration can't be obtained without a DVD purchase...

dmorris68

20-12-2006 19:51:44

[quote30b71f911c="doylnea"][quote30b71f911c="JKirk"]I might obtain a copy of Avia somehow... Thanks for the information. ;)[/quote30b71f911c]

alot of what you use for calibration can't be obtained without a DVD purchase...[/quote30b71f911c]
Yep, color calibration requires the red, green, & blue filters included with the DVD.

JKirk

20-12-2006 19:53:36

I might buy some Kodak filters if I can find some at Walmart or somewhere tomorrow. Someone told me they are good to use and I have the color numbers for them so I might have a chance.

kala

24-12-2006 20:19:32

Okay, I know I said I got my TV already, but I can't resist this deal. Cost only $170 more, then what I paid for a Toshiba 26''

http//www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10073955&langid=EN&CMP=ILC-Clicks_From_Flyer_Pages

Even cheaper than Amazon! http//www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32D40U-Integrated-Tuner/dp/B000F785LO

Would you go for it? I've read all good reviews on this TV.

Edit After doing a but of research before posting this, I learned that the LCD panel on this particular TV is not a Sharp LCD, but rather a Orion. Is this a no no?

Edit 2 Another great deal, should I http//www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075254&catid=23244

Review is ok..

http//www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1926609,00.asp

kala

25-12-2006 16:33:14

dmorris? Anyone else? I need to know by tonite please

Thanks

dmorris68

25-12-2006 17:07:49

You'll probably be fine with the Sharp, but again you need to look at it first.

LCD panels have become commoditized to the point where cheap ones perform really well. If you look at the other reviews of that Sharp, people seem pretty happy with it. Lots of companies use 3rd party OEM panels, even Sony and the like.

I'm sure Sharp will stand behind the TV just like those that have their own panels in them.

kala

25-12-2006 17:18:05

I was thinking the same, who cares if the panel is not made by them or not. The brand is Sharp and if it looks good, I'm going to take it. Plus, it will probably have a better resell value.

I wasn't going to by it from online, Boxing Day Sale starts tomorrow, so I'm going to get up early to check it out in person and most likely purchase it. Just needed some reassurance. I'll let you guys know if I end up getting it or not. Maybe that Westinghouse one if the Sharp is gone.

Thanks again dmorris +KMA

kala

27-12-2006 10:06:20

Yay! I got the 32'' Sharp and its a beauty! Can't wait for the HD PVR box to come in the mail now D

zdub08

27-12-2006 20:22:16

vizio 42" plasma is $799 at tiger

kala

30-12-2006 15:50:00

So, now I have my HDTV and my HD cable. Looking good, looking good. What I want to know now is, that do I really need the HDMI cable. It just replaces the component and audio cables right? Does it make a difference in the picture or not?

Also, does the Wii have a HDMI input? If it does, then I would need to buy 2 from online, eBay most likely. Or anyone have any suggestions of sites that ship to Canada.

Thanks

kala

30-12-2006 20:45:08

[quotebd0b6bac5d="kala"]So, now I have my HDTV and my HD cable. Looking good, looking good. What I want to know now is, that do I really need the HDMI cable. It just replaces the component and audio cables right? Does it make a difference in the picture or not?

Also, does the Wii have a HDMI input? If it does, then I would need to buy 2 from online, eBay most likely. Or anyone have any suggestions of sites that ship to Canada.

Thanks[/quotebd0b6bac5d]

Anyone?

dmorris68

30-12-2006 20:56:56

You likely won't notice a difference in 1080i and under between HDMI and component. HDMI will be more important when HDCP (DRM) is enforced by HD-DVD/BluRay players, but unless your TV takes a 1080p input, that probably won't be an issue anyway, as they are expected to continue supporting 720p/1080i over component. Although I have heard horror stories of HD players potentially down-converting content in the future to crippled resolutions if you don't use a digital connection. If your output device supports audio over HDMI, then that's one less cable you have to run, but isn't a good enough reason by itself to switch.

I'm running everything HDMI to my SXRD because I have an HDMI switching/upconverting AV receiver that converts everything to HDMI. I have only a single HDMI cable running to the TV, with about a half-dozen devices feeding the AV receiver. Makes for a tidy TV cable run, but the back of the AV receiver is a mess. )

Given that HDMI is really the future and component is going to be more and more limited going forward, I'd say if you have the cable and the devices, take advantage of it now.

As far as the Wii, I don't have one. AFAIK the Wii's graphics aren't really HD quality, unlike the PS3 and 360, so I don't know what good the digital connection would do you.

kala

30-12-2006 21:03:18

Perfect. thanks for the response. Just need to know if the Wii has an HDMI input or not. If it does, then why not use it, rite?

Thanks dmorris!

kala

01-01-2007 20:04:26

So, does any one know if the Wii has a HDMI input?

hehehhehe

01-01-2007 20:25:29

No, it comes with a composite cable and you can buy a component cable. No HDMI.

kala

02-01-2007 11:15:40

Ok, thats what I needed to know.

Thanks

BD2006BD

13-02-2007 21:16:17

I am looking to spend around $800 on a TV. I am thinking 26"-32". Is the best thing to do go see it in the store then buy it online cheaper? Is there anything I should watch out for? I want a decent TV that will look good with my PS3 (bluray and HDMI) and 360.
Another thing is I won't be using it to watch regular TV on for a while, but when I do, it's not going to be like the special HD Direct TV or anything, is just regular TV going to look like crap on it? I looked at TVs in walmart and you can see pixels on all of them and they look crappy.