My wireless adapter died...help? [dmorris post icon]

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48986

TFOAF

26-11-2006 10:08:44

So yeah...my $70 D-Link G132 wireless adapter died. It won't connect anymore. I've tested it on multiple PCs. Anywho...imma go buy a new one. Any ideas on good ones? I have a 802.11g network with a D-Link DI-624 Rev_C router. I also have a D-Link DWL-G800AP wireless range extender which works flawlessly.

I've been looking at a few on Newegg. I'm really aiming towards getting a FAST adapters.

I prefer USB wireless adapters, or an ethernet wireless adapters. (Is that faster [ethernet]? Like the Linksys one in the second link that I posted?)

Here's one I looked at
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130111

And here's another
http//www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16873999102

I'm looking to spend not really more than $80 on a wireless adapter.

If you can find a better one, please help.

I need to order this ASAP.

Thanks!

Tholek

26-11-2006 12:26:28

Traditionally, Senao (Engenius) are the best. Pricey, though.

TFOAF

26-11-2006 12:30:16

EUB-362 EXT[=http//www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=engenius&N=200139&Nty=1&D=engenius&Ntk=All&product_code=51973876&Pn=200mW_High_Powered_Wireless_USB_Adapter]EUB-362 EXT

http//www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/details.aspx?id=154

That fast? lol

dmorris68

26-11-2006 13:05:17

I'm partial to Netgear and Buffalo. Don't care for D-Link or Linksys at all. But typically any of them will work. I normally try to match brands when I can, but lately all of my wireless stuff has been built-in so I've not bought a wireless NIC in ages. As far as brands, I am partial to Netgear and Buffalo, I don't much care for either D-Link or Linksys.

All 802.11 WiFi gear is "ethernet." Wired or wireless, it's still an ethernet network. That second link you posted, the game adapter, is a bridge between a wired NIC and a wireless network. I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't have another wireless option.

TFOAF

26-11-2006 13:13:33

Mmm. Thank you.

Tholek recommended something like this
http//www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/details.aspx?id=154

Is that any good?

jy3

26-11-2006 13:16:21

look at buy.com for pricing now, the google 20 off 50 is alive )

TFOAF

26-11-2006 13:21:54

[quote3e7bf77032="jy3"]look at buy.com for pricing now, the google 20 off 50 is alive )[/quote3e7bf77032]
+KMA

I was going to go purchase it at CompUSA. P

Edit Buy.com doesn't have it. (

Allen626

26-11-2006 13:28:38

Linksys is what I always buy. They have never had anything go wrong for me. And they are a branch off of Cisco, which basically runs the internet. So I trust them the most. D-link is good too but most people have linksys so it is easier to just get that so you don't have to relearn UIs.

Tholek

26-11-2006 14:17:19

I'm with dmorris on Buffalo. They're nice, and better (IMO) than Linksys or Netgear.

Senao still remains at the top for range and power though. With that comes a high price, and increased radiation. Some have joked that you can fry an egg on a Senao. ;)

If you get a Engenius or Senao, just don't stick it down your pants. D

Just to throw another wrench into the works here....for general wi-fi purchases anyhow...

Many Netgear, SMC, Linksys an D-Link (others too) cards and adapters are EXACTLY the same. I mean EXACTLY the same model with different branding and stickers.

Do some research if you want the best price.

dmorris68

26-11-2006 14:45:27

The Engenius stuff is high power, but you won't benefit from it much with your D-Link router, so the extra cost would likely be wasted. To make the most of a long-range setup, you have to have long-range gear on both ends.

[quote347a9b0026="Cisco"]Linksys is what I always buy. They have never had anything go wrong for me. And they are a branch off of Cisco, which basically runs the internet. So I trust them the most.[/quote347a9b0026]
Oy. I couldn't disagree more, for a couple of reasons. Linksys products are pretty much EXACTLY the same as they were before Cisco purchased the company -- Cisco only wanted to tap the SOHO market because their main product line was so far out of reach. They've done little or nothing to the design of Linksys products, which I've always found to be of cheap quality and just lackluster performance. Another reason I don't care much for Cisco is their business tactics. They do make quality stuff, but their prices and business tactics amount to extortion, since the entire internet is so dependant on them. They aren't the only game in town either -- others make equipment just as capable -- but Cisco found their market and firmly embedded themselves in it before anybody else could.

Tholek

26-11-2006 15:27:21

[quote3ce0bffeba="dmorris68"]The Engenius stuff is high power, but you won't benefit from it much with your D-Link router, so the extra cost would likely be wasted. To make the most of a long-range setup, you have to have long-range gear on both ends.[/quote3ce0bffeba]

As always, dmorris is right. http//forum.freeipodguide.com/smilies_mod/upload/f483dbec203782cb16eb4d53913f752b.gif[" alt=""/img3ce0bffeba]

What I said is still true, but your router isn't up to snuff to take full advantage of the high-end adapter.

Now you have an excuse to get a high-end router. ;)

TFOAF

26-11-2006 15:29:01

Fuck...I just bought that adapter. O_O

Uhh...ermm.

Will it still be okay? P

Tholek

26-11-2006 15:31:59

Should be better than ok. It's just better than the router.

TFOAF

26-11-2006 15:32:34

Mmm. Whatever. $80 out the window! Yay. D

Thanks for the help guys.

Tholek

26-11-2006 15:34:49

Well, with this adapter you can get your network, and probably some in New York too. ;)

TFOAF

26-11-2006 15:37:19

Muahahah. Time to stealz some NBC wireless. P

And if I'm not browsing the forums anymore after I get this...the radiation killed me.

Set me into flames. P

TFOAF

26-11-2006 18:20:38

Hmm...another question. Will this adapter have a wider range/faster speed than the D-Link G132?

Thanks.

Tholek

26-11-2006 18:38:20

Range, yeah. Signal strength and quality, yeah, but the speed is limited by the 802.11g specification. 802.11n will be better.

EDIT Actually, this supports Atheros' "Super G" @ 108Mbps which is much like a turbo mode, but I think those channel bonded burst mode capabilities are limited to Atheros chipset based devices. I'm not sure you'll get that kind of throughput without a Atheros based router. (Does yours say it will do "Super G"?) You should get above par strength and signal quality at 802.11g though.

Actually, it looks like you won't have a problem there http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_G_(wireless_networking)

TFOAF

26-11-2006 20:56:12

The router has Super G, the Wireless range extender does not. Will I can an excellent signal from across the street with this new adapter? ^_^

Because if I use it through my range extender, forget Super G.

Ermm..the range extender only has Super G enabled if I enable the device as an Access Point? Then it won't work for the range extender. P

Tholek

27-11-2006 07:16:34

[quoted9c0da5783="TFOAF"]The router has Super G, the Wireless range extender does not. Will I can an excellent signal from across the street with this new adapter? ^_^

Because if I use it through my range extender, forget Super G.

Ermm..the range extender only has Super G enabled if I enable the device as an Access Point? Then it won't work for the range extender. P[/quoted9c0da5783]

Hmm, this adapter might not need the range extender. It IS more powerful. Also, your original adapter had Super G. You should notice no difference, short of an improvement.

TFOAF

27-11-2006 10:55:50

Yeah, my old adapter had Super G, but again, it would not work because my Wireless Range Extender would only enable it if it was an access point...or does the Wireless Range Extender extend the Super G signal? lol

Because I could have sworn I enabled Super G on the router, however, if I enabled Super G on the adapter, it wouldn't work.

(And if you're wondering why the router is across the street...my neighbors let me use their internet access. They bought me my first wireless adapter, and said we could use it. It's fast as hell anyways. D I also purchased the range extender (which is located in my house) so that we'd get a much better signal. [freakin $100 O_o])

[quote7c572f4e0e="Allen626"]Linksys is what I always buy. They have never had anything go wrong for me. And they are a branch off of Cisco, which basically runs the internet. So I trust them the most. D-link is good too but most people have linksys so it is easier to just get that so you don't have to relearn UIs.[/quote7c572f4e0e]
Their technical support is almost as crappy as Dell's. They couldn't help me setup their own stupid $100 product. When I bought my wireless range extender, I wasn't sure how to set it up, and they said it HAD to be hooked up to the router to access it and change the settings. I asked them if there was any other way, and they said no. So, I didn't wanna ask my neighbor to connect something to it for a second, because he'll get weird and angry about that. Anywho...I hung up with D-Link. And I was like...shit, I can't use this now. And then an idea popped into my head. I hooked up the extender to my computer's ethernet port, and configured it through there. D Bing bang boom, done. Stupid D-Link. ^_^

TFOAF

28-11-2006 13:41:38

Bump. Read previous post please. kthxbai.

Tholek

29-11-2006 12:27:57

This might make D-Link more tempting

http//www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201964838

Hard to beat $10. ;)

TFOAF

29-11-2006 13:32:09

Naw. Remember, I use my neighbor's router, plus he has a better one. P

I already bought the adapter...now just waiting for it to be delivered. Fucking took 2 days to process my order...and I ordered two day shipping, so I should get it tomorrow.

CompUSA was the only supplier that actually looked decent for shipping the adapter. And they don't carry it in stores. O_o

Whatever.

Thanks.