I can't get NBC-HD and FOX-HD...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48743

DRay9911

21-11-2006 09:00:51

I splurged and bought myself a 50" Samsung DLP and digital cable/HD service.

I was looking forward to watching Prison Break and Heroes in HD, but my cable company (COX) doesn't offer NBC and FOX in HD right now.

Am I ok just going out and buying an HD antenna (outdoor/indoor) and hooking it up when I want to watch HD shows on NBC or FOX?

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

-dan

dmorris68

21-11-2006 09:19:54

Well, first of all, does your area offer those channels over the air (OTA)? I'd be surprised if you had OTA channels that Cox isn't already broadcasting. I live just outside the range of my nearest HD stations to pick them up without a large, roof-mount antenna (not gonna happen) but Charter Cable supplies them all with my digital HD service.

OTA channels are hit & miss in the quality department. If you live near a major urban area, say within 20-30 miles, and don't have a lot of hills, tall buildings, thick forest, or other obstruction between you and the broadcast tower, then you might do alright. Otherwise you'll be disappointed with a cheap OTA antenna.

Fugger

21-11-2006 11:22:47

I live pretty close to Chicago and can pick up all of my HD channels OTA by using a pair of rabbit ears from the 1970's. I purchased a big ugly UFO looking antenna for about $75 that picked up about 4-5 stations at a time. I hooked the rabbit ears up and bickity-bam. About 20 stations came in. <3 the rabbits. Still use them when I don't want to put up with the cable lag to match radio broadcasts for sporting events.

DRay9911

21-11-2006 12:00:41

Thanks for the responses...

I called COX and asked them about it. Because NBC/FOX aren't broadcasting in HD here (Tucson, AZ), COX can't offer it.

As soon as the Networks start to broadcast in HD, COX will offer it.

Looks like i'll have to start a letter-writing/phone campaign.

-dan

TryinToGetPaid

21-11-2006 12:04:08

Good luck. We used to have COX, and then they were bought out by SuddenLink and everything has gotten much better.

compuguru

21-11-2006 15:49:00

[quoteb55f085f79="dmorris68"]Well, first of all, does your area offer those channels over the air (OTA)? I'd be surprised if you had OTA channels that Cox isn't already broadcasting. I live just outside the range of my nearest HD stations to pick them up without a large, roof-mount antenna (not gonna happen) but Charter Cable supplies them all with my digital HD service..[/quoteb55f085f79]
dmorris, are you able to get Fox in HD? Charter in my area (Wisconsin) doesn't have it. (

dmorris68

21-11-2006 17:00:12

[quote6f21302124="compuguru"][quote6f21302124="dmorris68"]Well, first of all, does your area offer those channels over the air (OTA)? I'd be surprised if you had OTA channels that Cox isn't already broadcasting. I live just outside the range of my nearest HD stations to pick them up without a large, roof-mount antenna (not gonna happen) but Charter Cable supplies them all with my digital HD service..[/quote6f21302124]
dmorris, are you able to get Fox in HD? Charter in my area (Wisconsin) doesn't have it. ([/quote6f21302124]
Nope, we don't have a local FOX HD station yet. Only CBS, NBC, what used to be called WB, and a couple of PBS stations are the only HD broadcasts around here. Of course I also get the cable HD channels too (HDNET, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, Discovery HD, etc. etc.)

emoney

21-11-2006 23:13:48

Wow, Tucson just doesn't offer FoxHD? Seems like a big enough market that they would have to offer it.

Good luck getting it in the future ddray.

chewy

22-11-2006 06:20:22

does the length of the cable that you attach to the tv matter to pick up ota channels? i can get crap with my antennae i bought, but i did leave it in my living room

DRay9911

22-11-2006 06:29:52

I sent an e-mail over to the local affiliate yesterday and received this response

[quote8f68aa0f85]
I am very pleased to tell you that KVOA is broadcasting in HD those programs that NBC produces in HD. KVOA has been up on digital Channel 23 for quite some time now. Your HD set should be able to do an auto scan and find us. Your set will display us as being on channel 4.1.
[/quote8f68aa0f85]

Does this mean the COX rep gave me bad information? I went through some settings on my TV but didn't find anything (probably because there was no antenna attached).

Knowing this, would it now be a good idea to go out and buy an HD antenna?

-dan

hehehhehe

22-11-2006 07:42:17

Yeah, he sounds like he's talking about OTA HD (channel 23 and 4.1).

Go here and enter your address to figure out what kind of reception to expect in your area
http//www.antennaweb.org[]http//www.antennaweb.org

Get one of those sub-$20 Zenith uhf/hdtv antennas if you're in a decent area for reception, they work great.

DRay9911

22-11-2006 08:51:57

I was actually at antennaweb yesterday (it was linked from the KVOA site), but it was kinda complicated.

I sent another e-mail over and asked about the antenna and received this response

[quote8e2a6e1cb3]
You should be able to receive a great picture at your location. You are correct that you must first pick up an antenna. Some folks are able to get us with a set of rabbit ears – however the outside antenna is your best bet. You need not buy the most expensive antenna – Radio Shack or a store like that will have the digital antenna you need.
[/quote8e2a6e1cb3]

I'll call COX again just to see if I get a different explanation, then go out and buy an antenna.

-dan

DRay9911

26-11-2006 12:39:32

Update

I went out and bought a Phillips amplified antenna - holy crap, hard to believe that over the air tv looks this good.

-dan

TFOAF

26-11-2006 12:41:20

Doesn't NBC only show in HD now? lol

I always watch NBC, and it always says "NBC 4 HD". I remember seeing them talk about it too.

jy3

26-11-2006 13:14:38

if u have satellite and your locals do not broadcast in HD, a nice letter to the station thru your satellite provider can allow the satellite provider to give u the closest metropolitan area that has hd channels on the satellite. for me it would be nyc, for example )