Shutting Down versus Hibernating

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48101

johnjimjones

06-11-2006 21:49:26

I usually hibernate my laptop at night since I don't feel like waiting for the full boot from shutting down in the morning. But lately I've noticed that my computer has been crashing more often and I have a feeling that the computer hasn't be restarted often.

I was wondering if this could be a problem or the freezes/crashes are part of another problem. (when my computer freezes I get this teal fuzzed screen, where I can use the keyboard, but I can't see anything).

Daggoth

06-11-2006 21:49:52

Shutting down saves power. I am guessing the PSU gets fried from overuse.

Fugger

06-11-2006 22:07:45

I always hibernate until I feel like my computer is running like balls and then give it a good hard reboot. I'll reboot maybe 3 or 4 times a month that way.

theysayjump

06-11-2006 22:09:06

The difference between Hibernate and Stand-by?

I always just leave mine on (seeding) but turn off my monitor.

Fugger

07-11-2006 00:40:31

Hibernate creates an active system save type state, stores it to your HDD and then cuts power to the box. When it restores, it restores the state and you are back up where you left off. Stand-by does a similar thing but it saves the state in active memory so when the power gets cut, the system state is lost.

theysayjump

07-11-2006 12:07:33

So if I left my computer on all night to seed, and then put it on either Stand-by or Hibernate, would it still seed?

dmorris68

07-11-2006 12:18:59

Windows needs to be rebooted pretty often, especially if you use it heavily for a lot of different tasks. Hibernating/suspending/standing-by for long periods causes an accumulation of memory and resource leaks that gradually slow your PC and cause all sorts of instability issues.

Personally, I never suspend, stand-by, or hibernate -- mine is either left on or shut down completely. Only when I'm undocking my laptop to head to a meeting or something will I use suspend/resume.

[quotea8c9278c9d="theysayjump"]So if I left my computer on all night to seed, and then put it on either Stand-by or Hibernate, would it still seed?[/quotea8c9278c9d]
No, when your PC is in stand-by or hibernate, nothing is running. Both basically shut down your PC/OS for all intents and purposes, they just save the state so that it can be restored either from memory (in the case of suspend/stand-by) or HDD (for hibernation).

Fugger

07-11-2006 13:13:04

[quote438e3c2c29="theysayjump"]So if I left my computer on all night to seed, and then put it on either Stand-by or Hibernate, would it still seed?[/quote438e3c2c29]

Quit distributing your seed. It's disturbing and, quite frankly, a little scary.