Xbox Media Connect PC Connection Setup

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47899

Killer722

01-11-2006 16:27:38

I know a lot of people are having trouble with connecting their Xbox 360 to their PC's in order to stream music, pictures, and video using Windows Media Connect. Well, I suffered through all of these problems, as well, but have found a pretty solid solution. You must have Windows Media Connect downloaded. Here is what I recommend doing

If you are using Windows Firewall, go to Start > Run, and type services.msc into the field and click "Ok". Make sure you have the following services Started and set to Automatic (Right click, Properties, General, Startup Type > Automatic)

HTTP SSL
SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Windows Media Connect (Ignore if you have Windows Media Player 11)

After all of these services are activated, stop and disable the following service

Internet Connection Sharing

Once all of these things are set up, restart your computer. Open up Windows Media Connect, make sure your 360 is plugged in using the ethernet cable, and attempt to find the device. This part is easy and very self explanatory. Just go to Pictures on your 360, go to Computers, and attempt to find a PC. It should find your computer. Configure it using Windows Media Connect and you're good to go. If you have any specific or general questions, just ask.

If it continues to not find a PC, test the connection using the 360's check. If it fails the IP or network check, then it's your router or firewall. Configure your router or firewall to allow the following ports

TCP 2869 and 10243

UDP 1900, 10284, 10283, 10282, 10281, and 10280

If you are using Windows Media Player 11, the functionality of Windows Media Connect is already built in. In order to configure media sharing from there, click the down arrow under Library > Media sharing, and check the "Share My Media..." box. Wait for the 360 to show up and configure it from there.

J4320

01-11-2006 16:30:44

I just configured my new computer to connect to my 360. All I did was download the new Windows Media Player (which is pretty nice btw) and I went to the sharing options and clicked share.

I'm glad I don't have to download Windows Media Connect. D

Killer722

01-11-2006 16:38:55

[quote34b612c58f="J4320"]I just configured my new computer to connect to my 360. All I did was download the new Windows Media Player (which is pretty nice btw) and I went to the sharing options and clicked share.

I'm glad I don't have to download Windows Media Connect. D[/quote34b612c58f]
Yea, but its a matter of getting WMP11 to detect the 360. It couldn't find mine, so I uninstalled it, did all that stuff up there, and am now configuring through WMC. I like it better.

Killer722

01-11-2006 17:04:45

[quoteccf3efc92b="Killer722"]I know a lot of people are having trouble with connecting their Xbox 360 to their PC's in order to stream music, pictures, and video using Windows Media Connect. Well, I suffered through all of these problems, as well, but have found a pretty solid solution. You must have Windows Media Connect downloaded. Here is what I recommend doing

If you are using Windows Firewall, go to Start > Run, and type services.msc into the field and click "Ok". Make sure you have the following services Started and set to Automatic (Right click, Properties, General, Startup Type > Automatic)

HTTP SSL
SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Windows Media Connect (Ignore if you have Windows Media Player 11)

After all of these services are activated, stop and disable the following service

Internet Connection Sharing

Once all of these things are set up, restart your computer. Open up Windows Media Connect, make sure your 360 is plugged in using the ethernet cable, and attempt to find the device. This part is easy and very self explanatory. Just go to Pictures on your 360, go to Computers, and attempt to find a PC. It should find your computer. Configure it using Windows Media Connect and you're good to go. If you have any specific or general questions, just ask.

If it continues to not find a PC, test the connection using the 360's check. If it fails the IP or network check, then it's your router or firewall. Configure your router or firewall to allow the following ports

TCP 2869 and 10243

UDP 1900, 10284, 10283, 10282, 10281, and 10280

If you are using Windows Media Player 11, the functionality of Windows Media Connect is already built in. In order to configure media sharing from there, click the down arrow under Library > Media sharing, and check the "Share My Media..." box. Wait for the 360 to show up and configure it from there.[/quoteccf3efc92b]