Why the hell...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47372

hilaryfanatic09

19-10-2006 18:15:39

would system restore suddenly have no restore points?

All of the sudden, my computer slows down to the point where its almost frozen, and gets all this spyware shit and stuff all over it. And I wasnt even on any bad sites. So, I restart my computer, and I'm getting pop ups like crazy, so I go to do system restore. The only restore day is yesterday, so i do that. My computer says restoration incomplete, cause theres not enough disk space. So I delete shit and go to try again, and now theres NO restore points. So I start manually deleting all of the spyware on Add/Remove Programs. Then I go into C Program Files, and manually delete everything out of there.

Yet my computer is still fucked up. Any ideas? I highly doubt it, but do you think theres still a way to do system restore? Like maybe the points are still on the computer but the spyware is supressing them? I dont know...fuck.

bballp6699

19-10-2006 18:17:02

Maybe try T-T-T-Techercizing?

hilaryfanatic09

19-10-2006 18:18:27

I thought about that, but most of the threads are about like, products, so I didnt know if it was for computer issues too.

Mods, if you see this, move it to the Tech Thread?

TryinToGetPaid

19-10-2006 20:00:24

Try spyware removal?

dmorris68

19-10-2006 20:13:52

The spyware could have killed your restore points. If you're running with Admin privileges like most users do, then once malware is installed it can do anything it wants, including wipe out your restore points.

You'll either have to manually clean (not easy for people who don't know what they're doing) or just format/reinstall Windows. Whichever you do, immediately install current AV and anti-spyware applications. Oh, and stop surfing that pr0n, you'll go blind and grow hair on your palms.

hilaryfanatic09

20-10-2006 15:42:41

Okay, thanks. This happens to my computer every few months, and I always end up having to reinstall windows. Which is really annoying, because you have to save all of your stuff, and it takes forever to reinstall it all.

How would I go about manually removing it? I thought I knew but apparently not since it comes back. What I try to do is go to Ad/Remove Programs and take out anything that doesnt belong, then go to the C Drive / Program Files and delete the files that are spyware...what else do you do?

dmorris68

20-10-2006 15:51:03

[quote301f4a87f7="hilaryfanatic09"]Okay, thanks. This happens to my computer every few months, and I always end up having to reinstall windows. Which is really annoying, because you have to save all of your stuff, and it takes forever to reinstall it all.

How would I go about manually removing it? I thought I knew but apparently not since it comes back. What I try to do is go to Ad/Remove Programs and take out anything that doesnt belong, then go to the C Drive / Program Files and delete the files that are spyware...what else do you do?[/quote301f4a87f7]
There's a LOT more to it than that when dealing with stubborn spyware. It involves monitoring/killing running processes while editing the registry and booting into Safe Mode. Sometimes it takes awhile, and you can seriously hose your system if you aren't careful, so for those who aren't familiar with doing it I just recommend a re-install.

If you're running up-to-day AV and anti-spyware tools, keeping Windows fully patched, and practicing safe surfing/downloading habits, there is no way you should be having this problem every few months. My PC's lineverli have this problem, and I have several doing all sorts of net activity.