Itunes help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47333

JordanE

18-10-2006 15:35:19

Awhile back my uncle was visting us, we traded some music quite a bit of his was bought from itunes so he athurized it on my computer and everything worked fine. However a few days ago I upgraded to itunes 7 and now it wants the music re-athurized. Problem being is that I don't know his password, he lives on the other side of the country, he has about four computers himself so he most likely can't athurize it again anyway. Am I fucked? I was thinking I could maybe convert them to mp3 but non of the converters I have work on secure mp4 files. Plus karma for help, thanks.

CollidgeGraduit

18-10-2006 15:37:34

[quote886856d917="JordanE"]Awhile back my uncle was visting us, we traded some music quite a bit of his was bought from itunes so he athurized it on my computer and everything worked fine. However a few days ago I upgraded to itunes 7 and now it wants the music re-athurized. Problem being is that I don't know his password, he lives on the other side of the country, he has about four computers himself so he most likely can't athurize it again anyway. Am I fucked? I was thinking I could maybe convert them to mp3 but non of the converters I have work on secure mp4 files. Plus karma for help, thanks.[/quote886856d917]

Had you asked before you upgraded, I would have suggested you burn the music to CD using iTunes, then rip the newly-created audio CD as mp3. Can you possibly get him to reauthorize it so you can do that, then you can switch it to your own account?

JordanE

18-10-2006 15:42:35

Not likely. Is this a new thing? I've upgraded since he gave me the music (back in april) and didn't have this problem. Is there any other way?

JKirk

18-10-2006 16:05:34

I'm not sure if this would work so I'm just throwing this out there. You can system restore to before you installed the update and that way you could have all your music again if it won't play in iTunes at the moment while you think of a way to get around it.

JordanE

18-10-2006 16:26:51

One thing I just thought of is that I haven't connected my ipod to my computer since I updated. So the music is still working on my ipod. What can I do with this?

Gooogler

18-10-2006 16:49:33

Try a 3rd party iPod management program like ephpod.

http//www.google.com/search?q=alternatives+to+itunes&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozillaen-USofficial[]http//www.google.com/search?q=alternatives+to+itunes&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozillaen-USofficial

dmorris68

18-10-2006 20:23:43

Without authorization there isn't much you can do. Pre-iTunes6 you could use JHymn to strip the DRM, but you had to authorize through JHymn to do it. Since v6, JHymn no longer works, but now there are other solutions such as QTFairUse6 and myFairTunes, but those hook into iTunes while iTunes plays the music files -- so you'd also require authorization. The last resort of burning to CD and re-ripping, but that kills your audio quality since you're going through 2 lossy compressions. And even that requires authorization.

So until you can get it authorized, you're probably SOL. If you can contact your uncle, have him deauth one of his computers (assuming he's already at his limit) and give you his pasword (which he can change afterwards), you can authorize yours long enough to use one of the aforementioned techniques to de-DRM the music. Then you can deauth and give him his computer authorization back.

The music on the iPod is protected as well, so it isn't going to do you any good outside of the iPod. Protected M4P's are only playable on an authorized PC or an iPod. Yeah, you can get the files off the iPod, but they won't play without authorization, and thus aren't any different than those already in your iTunes library.

JordanE

18-10-2006 21:31:15

Damnit.

Anyone have any alkaline trio?