Isn't the Blockbuster offer supposed to be free?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=57274

JacobG

20-03-2007 07:21:42

I realized that most of the Blockbuster offers on other sites cost 9.99. This is why I never did it before. The link on 123 says it's free. So I did the offer, and got charged 9.99

Contact Blockbuster via email and they said I signed up for the 9.99 offer. I am positive that the offer pages claimed it to be FREE trial.

Is it supposed to be a free offer or not?

dmorris68

20-03-2007 07:39:04

Not speaking for 123 since I don't know the details of their offers, but offers are sometimes listed as "free" if they offer a refund within the trial period. They still go ahead and charge you up front though. shrug

Also, it's important to distinguish between a charge and an authorization. Many offers will pre-auth the first month or first shipment but not actually charge it. The auth reduces your available credit but is not actually charged until they submit it. If they don't submit it as a charge, the auth expires after a time period and you then regain access to those funds.

stueybaby17

20-03-2007 09:27:29

[quote2dfa545f1b="dmorris68"]Not speaking for 123 since I don't know the details of their offers, but offers are sometimes listed as "free" if they offer a refund within the trial period. They still go ahead and charge you up front though. shrug

Also, it's important to distinguish between a charge and an authorization. Many offers will pre-auth the first month or first shipment but not actually charge it. The auth reduces your available credit but is not actually charged until they submit it. If they don't submit it as a charge, the auth expires after a time period and you then regain access to those funds.[/quote2dfa545f1b]

I understand what you are talking about because I've gone throught that. Gottaplay is a site that does that, they also lend your credit card number to other people to use but that is beside the point.

But I think that somebody somewhere has a link somewhere wrong. Because I did the same offer from 123 and it said on the site when I was signing up that it was a free offer but I was also charged $9.99 +tax. I didn't care and I just left it go. But I do know that 123 said it was free and when I signed up blockbuster said it was free but I was charged the ten dollars and I wasn't refunded.

123StuffForFree

20-03-2007 09:30:13

The current Blockbuster offer we are running is the free trial. Users should not be charged anything unless they choose to continue their subscription beyond the trial period. No coupon codes are necessary to receive the free trial. Clicking the link on our offer page is all that's required.

-Dave

stueybaby17

20-03-2007 10:04:44

I dont' really care. But I did that on your site and was charged $10 and I didnt' continue my service.

I HATE blockbuster BTW. Netflix is the way to go.

dmorris68

20-03-2007 10:08:40

Personally I've been quite happy with Blockbuster. They were my very first freebie offer over 2 years ago, and I'm still with them. One way they beat Netflix is with their Total Access program where you return your movies to the store to exchange for new movies and you you still get the next ones in your queue mailed out. And 2 free rental coupons per month that includes video games.

Netflix has a better selection of eclectic movies, I will give it that. Shipping time is about the same between them though, and with the aforementioned benefits, I now rate BB higher than Netflix.

stueybaby17

20-03-2007 10:36:10

I dunno. Yes it is cool that you can return DVD's right to the store with blockbuster, but it's not very convienent if the closest blockbuster is 40 min away.

Netflix I believe has a much much better selection of movies and I like their website better. The design is very similar between both but blockbuster seems too dark, netflix has a little brighter colors and it makes it easier for me to be on their site. It seems weird but I dont' like their website, so that is a big reason.

And for me i know that Netflix was a hell of a lot quicker to ship DVD's. With blockbuster it would take at least a day longer to get my movies, sometimes two days.

I think I did Netflix for a offer before. And I kept that for a little over a year. Then i cancelled because i started college and was still working and dind't have the time for it.

JacobG

20-03-2007 13:36:28

I definitely used your link. It was definitely just a few days ago, and I have not continued my service. And they definitely charged me 9.99. It was no authorization.

I'm going to try to get my money back on this one, as I feel that Blockbuster is totally at fault on this one. It's not a huge deal as I'll get my 10 bucks worth on the free in store rentals alone. I'm not getting anywhere with Blockbuster's email support, but I'll try one more time to contact them via phone.

I read every single page an TOS closely when signing up, and they all said it was a free offer. I don't think that Blockbuster is purposely trying to deceive people, but Dave, you should let blockbuster know that something fishy is going on with their signup process.

joplinn

20-03-2007 17:54:27

Same thing happened to me - I called them and got supervisors on the phone and junk like that and got my 9.99 back. Yeh I know, I could've let it go. I was in a mood, and the $10 became important lol.

gmario

24-03-2007 02:41:44

Blockbuster was one of my first offers also bak in December i kept it since the monthly fee is worth renting out unlimited DVD'S 8) never heard about anyone crying about being charge $9.99 trial fee tho except now.

holyvampire32

24-03-2007 15:46:53

What I'm curious about is that I did a blockbuster offer a looooooooooooooooooong time ago, when they first started doing the whole renting DVD through the mail operation. But now that they have this new Total Acess trial offer, does that mean I can do that becuase its a different trail offer, becuase I'd like to do that for my offer for the gaming site.

123StuffForFree

24-03-2007 16:45:40

[quotebbc00a08cd="holyvampire32"]What I'm curious about is that I did a blockbuster offer a looooooooooooooooooong time ago, when they first started doing the whole renting DVD through the mail operation. But now that they have this new Total Acess trial offer, does that mean I can do that becuase its a different trail offer, becuase I'd like to do that for my offer for the gaming site.[/quotebbc00a08cd]

Users may only do the Blockbuster offer if they have never been a Blockbuster member before.

-Dave

Enzo736

02-04-2007 12:34:25

haha...blockbuster was my first offer. i love their total access program