Question about Work computers

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=67656

JayKanish

03-08-2007 06:43:04

Hi, I do all my offers, page-signups, and (eventually) ordering/confirming from my home computer. But I also sign onto pages to check referral status or to see what offers are available at my work computer. Since I'm not actually doing any sort of maintenance on my account from my work computer could this cause a problem?

moviemadnessman

03-08-2007 06:55:36

Yes, it could. If another user at your job signs up for any of our sites, even if you don't do offers at all, then you could get put on hold. Your best bet is to simply save all site activities for when you are at your original computer, but if you choose to do otherwise, you run the risk of going on hold.

laurelwm

03-08-2007 06:56:55

Depends on your work computer. If anyone from there has ever signed up for one of the sites you are checking, it could cause problems.

To be on the safe side, I NEVER check my freebie stuff from any computer except my home computer.

Laurel

manOFice

03-08-2007 06:57:10

Your work probably uses a proxy...it would get you on hold...but that is also up to the site owner to decide.

laurelwm

03-08-2007 07:01:05

Bunnyman - you beat me........ we must have been typing at the same time. lol

Laurel

moviemadnessman

03-08-2007 07:04:06

[quote1007038026="laurelwm"]Bunnyman - you beat me........ we must have been typing at the same time. lol

Laurel[/quote1007038026]Lol. I'm just attentive when I am on ... plus, I've been in a typing frenzy over on FLR, trying to protect my good name ;)

Glad everyone is on top of the game here, though.

manOFice

03-08-2007 07:08:15

[quotefc9edb9799="moviemadnessman"][quotefc9edb9799="laurelwm"]Bunnyman - you beat me........ we must have been typing at the same time. lol

Laurel[/quotefc9edb9799]Lol. I'm just attentive when I am on ... plus, I've been in a typing frenzy over on FLR, trying to protect my good name ;)

Glad everyone is on top of the game here, though.[/quotefc9edb9799]

<8 to ya

JayKanish

03-08-2007 07:26:59

Thanks a lot for the quick replies all. +kma.

dmorris68

03-08-2007 08:32:32

[quotee66af6e8bb="manOFice"]Your work probably uses a proxy...it would get you on hold...but that is also up to the site owner to decide.[/quotee66af6e8bb]
I see this mentioned a lot, but it isn't entirely accurate and needs to be clarified.

A private, internal proxy (whether at a company, school, home, etc.) is not the same thing as an external, internet proxy. Internal proxies are not likely to result in a "proxy" flag with a freebie site -- it never has for me on any site, and my home internet connection routes through a Squid proxy on my Linux firewall/proxy/gateway server.

Technically, your broadband router is a form of proxy too -- it's a single point where all your connections within your network pass to get to the internet, and their IP is changed (called NAT) in the process. That's the definition of a proxy (in general terms). What most people mean when they say proxies are those anonymous computers out on the internet that serve to hide your real identity and location by converting your real internet IP to another, unrelated internet IP. Those are the one that are forbidden with freebie sites.

Part of the HTTP headers between your computer and the destination computer log the various IP's that are involved along the way. The only time a proxy detection should flag a problem is if it sees more than one public (internet) IP address in the IP "chain." That would indicate at least one external proxy. An internal proxy will have only a single public IP on the internet facing side of the IP chain, and that IP will properly identify the customer's internet endpoint.

THIS is where you can get in trouble with freebie sites, if you're behind a firewall/proxy/router that services a large group of people (a company, school, public library, etc.) that all come through a single internet IP address. As was mentioned, anybody else who signed up from there would appear to have the same internet IP as you, triggering a duplicate signup flag.

However as I mentioned in another topic, many sites have no problems with you checking your account status from different IP's. YGF has (or used to have) a separate status page that you could log into from anywhere, but you were asked to login to your main account only from home. Keeping in mind the notion that even from home, unless you have a static IP, your IP is going to change periodically. Sometimes frequently, depending on your ISP and connection type.l

manOFice

03-08-2007 08:35:15

[quoteff162878ee="dmorris68"][quoteff162878ee="manOFice"]Your work probably uses a proxy...it would get you on hold...but that is also up to the site owner to decide.[/quoteff162878ee]
I see this mentioned a lot, but it isn't entirely accurate and needs to be clarified.

A private, internal proxy (whether at a company, school, home, etc.) is not the same thing as an external, internet proxy. Internal proxies are not likely to result in a "proxy" flag with a freebie site -- it never has for me on any site, and my home internet connection routes through a Squid proxy on my Linux firewall/proxy/gateway server.

Technically, your broadband router is a form of proxy too -- it's a single point where all your connections within your network pass to get to the internet, and their IP is changed (called NAT) in the process. That's the definition of a proxy (in general terms). What most people mean when they say proxies are those anonymous computers out on the internet that serve to hide your real identity and location by converting your real internet IP to another, unrelated internet IP. Those are the one that are forbidden with freebie sites.

Part of the HTTP headers between your computer and the destination computer log the various IP's that are involved along the way. The only time a proxy detection should flag a problem is if it sees more than one public (internet) IP address in the IP "chain." That would indicate at least one external proxy. An internal proxy will have only a single public IP on the internet facing side of the IP chain, and that IP will properly identify the customer's internet endpoint.

THIS is where you can get in trouble with freebie sites, if you're behind a firewall/proxy/router that services a large group of people (a company, school, public library, etc.) that all come through a single internet IP address. As was mentioned, anybody else who signed up from there would appear to have the same internet IP as you, triggering a duplicate signup flag.

However as I mentioned in another topic, many sites have no problems with you checking your account status from different IP's. YGF has (or used to have) a separate status page that you could log into from anywhere, but you were asked to login to your main account only from home. Keeping in mind the notion that even from home, unless you have a static IP, your IP is going to change periodically. Sometimes frequently, depending on your ISP and connection type.l[/quoteff162878ee]

That would be correct kind sir.