About duplicate accounts and IP addresses

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=52954

V-Bux Dave

01-02-2007 05:11:19

I have a question about the discussion that has gone on about sites being banned because they came from the same IP address as another account

Does that only apply when the account is set up, or does it apply any time the account is accessed.

I'm thinking of going to visit my sister, who is also one of my referrals. If I take my laptop with me and check my account status from her house (and therefore, from her IP), would I be in danger of having both are accounts banned as fraudulent?

shaggz

01-02-2007 06:01:26

[quote2493d95eaa="daveh551"]I have a question about the discussion that has gone on about sites being banned because they came from the same IP address as another account

Does that only apply when the account is set up, or does it apply any time the account is accessed.

I'm thinking of going to visit my sister, who is also one of my referrals. If I take my laptop with me and check my account status from her house (and therefore, from her IP), would I be in danger of having both are accounts banned as fraudulent?[/quote2493d95eaa]

This is something you normally "Don't" want to do... as yes, it could get you banned [b2493d95eaa]on most sites[/b2493d95eaa]...

V-Bux Dave

01-02-2007 06:22:58

Okay, I won't do it. I hate to be out of touch for several days, though!

Thanks for the reply, shaggz.

CorpRebel

01-02-2007 08:36:32

Surely logging in and JUST checking your account from another IP address isn't against the rules. OR is it?

I'm not talking about doing offers or anything like that but JUST checking the stats from other than your residence.

I'm confoozed. ?

Rick aka CorpRebel 8)

dmorris68

01-02-2007 11:57:05

[quotec9a42a528b="CorpRebel"]Surely logging in and JUST checking your account from another IP address isn't against the rules. OR is it?

I'm not talking about doing offers or anything like that but JUST checking the stats from other than your residence.

I'm confoozed. ?

Rick aka CorpRebel 8)[/quotec9a42a528b]
It varies from site to site. MOST sites don't care where you check stats from, only where you signup and complete offers from. A few in the past have made a big deal about logging in to your account period, and those I've spoken out against pretty strongly. One site owner in particular came to me for advice on the matter and actually changed their policy, which pleased me to no end. But bottom line is you're taking a risk if you don't ask and it's not clearly spelled out in their ToS. Open a support ticket and explain the situation clearly, making sure they understand it's for stat checking only, and you should get your answer straight from the horse's mouth, rather than one of us telling you wrong. ;)

YourGiftsFree

01-02-2007 12:20:07

Use http//yourgiftsfree.com/statuscheck.php for now. That is still being worked on BTW. Do NOT login from your referrals IP.

CorpRebel

01-02-2007 18:29:30

Sheesh ...

Thanx for the response. Not complaining but I may need to rethink this freebie stuff. And this stuff was starting to look good! ?

I like to travel alot and take my notebook everywhere to keep in touch with my online stuff. It would be nice to be able to just check in about my stats wherever I am. It would be lame having to be away from home for 2-4 weeks and not be able to check up on things.

It's a shame that with ALL the "high" technology out there that there isn't a better solution to use for these sites.

It's NO wonder most of the newbies get messed up unintentionally as most would have no clue what an IP address or proxy is anyway.

BUT ... thanx again for the responses to my question! wink

Rick aka CorpRebel 8)

DCoop

01-02-2007 23:35:52

[quote4396fe35d7="CorpRebel"]
I like to travel alot and take my notebook everywhere to keep in touch with my online stuff. It would be nice to be able to just check in about my stats wherever I am. It would be lame having to be away from home for 2-4 weeks and not be able to check up on things.

It's a shame that with ALL the "high" technology out there that there isn't a better solution to use for these sites.
[/quote4396fe35d7]
VPN or SSH with a dynamic tunnel (socks5) [[WHEREVER ==> HOME ----> YourGiftsFree]]
Either way would let you route all your traffic back through your home connection no matter whose internet you are using.

Besides, this is a very good idea anyway if you tend to use lots of untrusted connections (free wifi, hotels, coffee shops, etc) since thjey encrypt your traffic along the first link (WHEREVER ----> HOME) - no different than sitting on your own sofa.

CorpRebel

02-02-2007 18:34:24

[quote36eb446b39="DCoop"][quote36eb446b39="CorpRebel"]

[/quote36eb446b39]
VPN or SSH with a dynamic tunnel (socks5) [[WHEREVER ==> HOME ----> YourGiftsFree]]
Either way would let you route all your traffic back through your home connection no matter whose internet you are using.

Besides, this is a very good idea anyway if you tend to use lots of untrusted connections (free wifi, hotels, coffee shops, etc) since thjey encrypt your traffic along the first link (WHEREVER ----> HOME) - no different than sitting on your own sofa.[/quote36eb446b39]

Thanx but I'm not sure this would be acceptable to the site owners or not. I have absolutely NO problems with abiding with the site's rules as that is how they run their biz. I do alot of work on PCs as that's what I have done over the years but I am not that good with the "network" aspects (outside of the very basics) of doing things thru the ISPs.

I know AOHell is tough and use pure proxies for their customers access to the Internet. So maybe i'm misunderstanding you. Maybe Mr. DMorris will clarify what you are trying to clarify.

Thanx!

Rick aka CorpRebel 8)

dmorris68

02-02-2007 19:39:21

What he's talking about is using a connection back to your home PC to access the freebie site. This can be done either using a remote desktop solution like XP's built-in Remote Desktop, VNC, GoToMyPC.com, etc. Or if you're the network savvy type, you could setup a VPN or SSH tunnel back to your home network, this basically extends your home network and internet connection to your current location wherever you are. It requires some networking know-how and a running VPN/SSH server at home, and is not something I'm going to tutor folks on here in the forums. If you must know, Google for it.

I can't see any sites having a problem with it as it doesn't technically count as the type of proxy they all forbid -- you are using your own home internet connection -- and in most cases wouldn't even be detectable. But I'll just go ahead and put out the disclaimer that I'm not responsible if you go on hold for doing it. ;)

BTW any of these solutions would require you to know what your current home IP is, which might take some extra effort (like registering with a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org and running their client constantly).