Free Kit from Managing UC

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=67843

fivergirl9300

07-08-2007 03:09:33

Free Kit from Managing UC
(link removed)
Free kit from Managing UC - Full of goodies (US)

patrick_7412

07-08-2007 04:39:13

Bots gone wild?

To the admin/dmorris, you should implement some feature such as A4F has, which is (I believe) a user for their first topic has to be one such as in the "help" section, since most users are new and really do need help learning. Just a thought )

dmorris68

07-08-2007 05:50:51

Strange bot, if it is one, based on one of it's other posts. But yeah, this does look like spam. If this member posts another "Thank you" or spam post like this, away they shall go.

AFAIK, A4F does not require you to post in the "Help" section first (unless it's a new feature since I joined), and quite honestly I would be insulted if forced to ask for help anywhere -- not every new member needs help. Now I've seen some forums require you to post an introduction in an "About Myself" forum before you can post to the rest of the board.

patrick_7412

07-08-2007 05:55:43

Like I said, I wasn't sure of the exact rule, but I know they require you to post somewhere (a certain forum), before you can make a topic elsewhere. Just a thought...

Also, any ideas where these bots come from? They seem to come up quite a bit, figured there would be an easier way to stop them besides banning each one that comes through here.

dmorris68

07-08-2007 06:05:26

[quote3a9dbb48ee="patrick_7412"]Like I said, I wasn't sure of the exact rule, but I know they require you to post somewhere (a certain forum), before you can make a topic elsewhere. Just a thought...

Also, any ideas where these bots come from? They seem to come up quite a bit, figured there would be an easier way to stop them besides banning each one that comes through here.[/quote3a9dbb48ee]
We reduced a great number of them with a recent enhancement to the registration process, but honestly there is no way to tell a bot from a person at registration time. We have a captcha graphic but modern bot generators can work through those. We could possibly implement a more advanced captcha, or a more complex e-mail verification where you have to type in something to validate your account, but either would require more time to code than I have to spare right now, given the other things I'm working on.

TryinToGetPaid

07-08-2007 06:17:32

It is not like we are over run with bots, well besides 123StuffForFree which attracts the hornier of the bots.