Cheapass dual layer dvd media

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49397

hehehhehe

05-12-2006 21:36:47

25 Matrix DVD+R Media 8.5G 2.4X Dual Layer for $17
http//www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=5168[]http//www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=5168

Comes out to $0.68/pc and the reviews aren't that bad since they're made by Ricoh. Some have said it worked for their XBOX 360. I am gonna give them a try.

Use Google Checkout for -$10 and use XMAS10 to knock 10% off.

From SD

unknown uchiha

05-12-2006 22:04:16

Thanks. Too bad my first-gen Macbook is too cheap to have a dual-layer drive >( stupid Apple

Tholek

06-12-2006 01:00:17

Nice deal. I'd go for it if I had more cash on hand.

Anyone know when the Google Checkout promotion ends?

dmorris68

06-12-2006 07:06:43

You sure these are Ricoh media codes and not Ritek D01's? The D01's are total garbage. Our local Office Depot was running OD-branded DL's in a 25-spindle for $5.01. Yep, that's right, $5.01 for 25 DL's. Got me all excited. Got even more excited when I saw they were Ritek media.

Then was promptly frustrated when I burned 3 DL's in a row that had unreadable sectors and terrible PIF error scans. They were scoring around 43% quality level in Nero CD-Speed scans. Did some research and discovered that, yes, Ritek D01's are in fact crap.

If these really are Ricoh's and not Ritek's, I'd be interested.

hehehhehe

06-12-2006 10:45:35

I can't say for sure but if you read the reviews, they say they are Ricohs and if you check on videohelp they are ricohs. I suggest you read the reviews and make your decision from there, as although the results are overall pretty good, there are some people that had probs. That being said, I can't assure that they will be ricohs when you get them since the store does not list the media code so if you don't want to take the risk don't buy them. I know Ritek DL suck so I've never bought them, I only buy verbatim (right now 20 for $25AR at newegg but I have a stock of these right now lol) but I figured I'd give these a shot.

The google promotion ends there at 12/18 so you have time!

Tholek

06-12-2006 12:57:18

Hmm, there's been some more posts in the SD thread, and the consensus is that everything short of Verbatim is crap. shock

hehehhehe

06-12-2006 13:39:44

I wouldn't say its the consensus (the thread has thumbs up's), it's mostly one guy who's probably a bit too paranoid and only making suppositions, and others who are talking about Riteks/other media, not this brand. The one guy's talking about ink quality, something he can't possibly know for Ricoh (Ricoh's not exactly a crappy manufacturer.). You get these guys once in a while, who make statements that they can't back up with real facts. I agree completely with the poster shraven, who is refuting his post. While he says everything that I would, it's not me lol. He's got much better grammar.

Be careful of what you read, there are idiots that still insist on not burning above 4x even though you can get 98+ quality pi/po scans on stuff you burn at 12x and up.

I only buy TY DVD media (the best) and Verbatim DL DVDs (the best) but this one I'm gonna try like I said.

doylnea

06-12-2006 13:41:55

[quotea8f07d0f72="Tholek"]Hmm, there's been some more posts in the SD thread, and the consensus is that everything short of Verbatim is crap. shock[/quotea8f07d0f72]

Not to be too snide, but it's almost fanboy / koolaid-drinker with SD (and FW for that matter) posters and DVD media. Once someone with any intellect posts that "Verbatim rules, [other DVD of choice sucks]" the lemmings all run to follow and repeat, or quote the Verbatim fanboy comment.

Since the GCO Coupon is valid until 12/12, I'll wait to see what someone who ordered these actually receives as far as media type, and then buy some if they're Ricoh's.

Tholek

06-12-2006 14:25:58

I'm not saying I believed it, but I think there are some other comments supporting his. (Could be fanboys, like you said) The deal looked good to me, but I haven't bought much DL media to really have formed an opinion of my own.

Saw these threads on CDFreaks

http//club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=186041
http//club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=177970

shrug

hehehhehe

06-12-2006 15:05:26

I'm not saying these are great media either, I don't know until I try. Also, whether a media is good may also depend on your burner because DL media is still so picky.

I've burnt a lot of DL media and the verbatim's aren't actually perfect either. I've probably bought about a hundred of them and in every 10, 20pk, there are one or two that have ink defects (you can see this on the surface), although lately they're getting better.

Those bad scans come from what are most likely fake Ricohs made in China. Your post makes a valid point, Tholek, as opposed to the poster at SD. Real Ricoh DL media give decent scans so there's nothing wrong with buying them, but if they're fake, that's a whole other matter. Maybe they're still selling them from 5 months ago, I don't know but wouldn't put it past them. In my order I followed up and told them not to ship if they are faked media coded discs made in China.

Maybe just wait and see what comes of this. GC is good until 12/18 and I'm sure there'll be another 10% code after 12/12.

downthesun

06-12-2006 17:49:45

let us know how those work with your 360

hehehhehe

07-12-2006 11:50:52

After I told them to cancel the order if these are DVDs with faked media codes, they cancelled my order lol. I guess these were fake, sorry.