How to (often) unlock your T-Mobile or Cingular phone FREE

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=41298

BVGuitarPlayer

15-06-2006 10:47:09

I worked for Cingular last summer, and I am currently a T-Mobile customer, so I know how it goes for both of the GSM carriers. Obviously, you don't want to lie to the companies, but because I was going to travel I let T-Mobile know, I have a Nokia 6600 that I wanted unlocked...

You need to be a customer in good standings (pay bills on time, be a customer for ABOUT 3 months with T-Mobile and I believe about 6 months with Cingular, etc.)

If you have been a good customer of theirs for (usually) those periods of time you can often get an unlock code.

1.) Get the IMEI off the phone, write it down (it's usually behind the battery), if you have a Nokia just press li#06# from the main screen

2.) Dial 611 for service, at the prompt, just say "representative"

3.) Explain to the representative that you will be traveling outside of the country for about a month, and you will [b099f2f44ef]need a local number in that country (for example a prepaid sim card from a carrier in another country) and you need the phone unlocked[/b099f2f44ef] <--that is very important.

Notes
If you do this with multiple phones or you don't indeed travel, they might get suspicious. It is good to go to http//www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml[]http//www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml before you call 611 to find out the name of a GSM provider in that country, and know the name to tell the representative if they ask who you will be using for that time period. As I said, don't go on an unlocking phones from ebay spree or you will ruin it for yourself, and everyone else who needs this service. Hopefully this works for those of you that legitimately need this.

Stroid

15-06-2006 10:53:11

thanks for the info i will do this tonight and try to post back with my results

BVGuitarPlayer

15-06-2006 10:54:57

someone in the other thread said Cingular told them a year. Should add that T-Mobile is usually happier to unlock it, but Cingular will usually give in. Stroid...who is your carrier?

Stroid

15-06-2006 12:26:38

i have a unlocked treo 650 and i use t-mobile. but my sister she has a pink razr from cingular we are both leaving the country for a couple of months that is why she needs it unlocked she will be there longer then me.

BVGuitarPlayer

15-06-2006 12:34:30

well, give it a whirl, 611. worst thing that can happen is they say no, wait a few days, try another rep? If you're in good standing with the company, remind them of that (been a customer for x amount of time, paid bills). Try it out, let me know

Stroid

15-06-2006 12:35:57

yeah i will update you guys when i know more

Vector

15-06-2006 13:36:18

I am kind of noob at this. Is this to buy phones for cheap, unlock them and use them with tmobile or cingular? I have tmobile right now and i am kind of in a pickle. I have been a customer for about 4 years+ i think. back when they were called verisomething. Anyways, all the contracts turned to 2 year now and that is kind of annoying, i want to keep my n umber and i like tmobile but i need a new p[hone and i dont want to pay a lot of $$, any ideas?

hilaryfanatic09

15-06-2006 14:35:51

[quotef3edf16c65="Vector"]I am kind of noob at this. Is this to buy phones for cheap, unlock them and use them with tmobile or cingular? I have tmobile right now and i am kind of in a pickle. I have been a customer for about 4 years+ i think. back when they were called verisomething. Anyways, all the contracts turned to 2 year now and that is kind of annoying, i want to keep my n umber and i like tmobile but i need a new p[hone and i dont want to pay a lot of $$, any ideas?[/quotef3edf16c65]

Yeah, same for me. It used to be easy to get a new phone, but now that they changed it if you want a new phone for cheap you have to sign a two year contract.

Stroid

15-06-2006 15:50:41

i say do a DIY site there are alot out there with sidekick 2's, razr, slvr, treo 650, ipaq's, etc.... must of the DIY sites send unlocked phones if its not unlocked just unlock it.

samz465

15-06-2006 15:58:29

[quote158a6d1b81="BVGuitarPlayer"]someone in the other thread said Cingular told them a year. Should add that T-Mobile is usually happier to unlock it, but Cingular will usually give in. Stroid...who is your carrier?[/quote158a6d1b81]
Yeah...Thats b/c tmobile customer service is amaaaaaaazing. They have to make up for their lack of service some how...Kind of like freebie companies and how their CS is amazing and they have uber low payouts..
(My brother owns a cell phone store so i know alot about em)
Btw...This is a very cool thing dude..+Karma...I can tell my brother to tell customers if they need to ...But then again he charges the customers P..

Also. I believe only Nokias work with the code (Boost/Nextel too with the Raptor pro program & the "enter special code" thingy)...I know a forum My brother uses when his Nokia Unlocker Code generating program doesnt work he posts the IMEI there and someone usually replies very fast..
If i find it. Ill let u guys know ). All other phones he used either his SMART CLIP unlocker or his other unlockers...

[quote158a6d1b81="Vector"]I am kind of noob at this. Is this to buy phones for cheap, unlock them and use them with tmobile or cingular? I have tmobile right now and i am kind of in a pickle. I have been a customer for about 4 years+ i think. back when they were called verisomething. Anyways, all the contracts turned to 2 year now and that is kind of annoying, i want to keep my n umber and i like tmobile but i need a new p[hone and i dont want to pay a lot of $$, any ideas?[/quote158a6d1b81]
Yeah...Ill be honest dude...Your best bet is Ebay. B/c Itll be cheaper than what a store will give you, And if you dont wanna extend your contract avioid the company directly.
Oh and your other questions...
Its if you get a LOCKED phone like one of your friends has a RAZR from CINGULAR but you wana use it on tmobile...Get it unlocked, ittl work then on tmobile too.

They were previously called Voicestream until they were bought out by german company Doitche Telekom (not perfectly spelt P). They changed the contract lengths to 2 years a few months ago...But 1 Year is still available..
We just sold my bro's best friends couzin a plan on a 1 yr contract (we get less comission though, so fone price for them is more to compensate) .
Thats about it...
Any other questions. Feel free to aim me at samz465 ).

like i said...i know ALOT about cell phones..
And if you ever wanna look up specs...use this site Phonescoop.com. simply AMAZING.

-samz

Vector

15-06-2006 16:01:00

hrmm... is there a way i can tell them that my phone is broken and pay like a small fee to get either a new one or something like that? thats what happened to my dad but he has sprint

samz465

15-06-2006 16:02:36

[quotedbf0cc8f3f="Stroid"]i say do a DIY site there are alot out there with sidekick 2's, razr, slvr, treo 650, ipaq's, etc.... must of the DIY sites send unlocked phones if its not unlocked just unlock it.[/quotedbf0cc8f3f]

Well..this "tutorial" is really just to tell people HOW to unlock it...not to get a phone for uber cheap.

B/c the statement you make "if its not unlocked just unlock it"...
Is the reason this whole thread exists P

samz465

15-06-2006 16:03:44

[quotefdf7712074="Vector"]hrmm... is there a way i can tell them that my phone is broken and pay like a small fee to get either a new one or something like that? thats what happened to my dad but he has sprint[/quotefdf7712074]
Well...Unless you have insurance, not really.
How long have you had the phone you have now?

And also..are you looking to get the same model? just New?

Or you want a different phone.

Stroid

15-06-2006 16:59:24

[quotec419dc677e="samz465"][quotec419dc677e="Stroid"]i say do a DIY site there are alot out there with sidekick 2's, razr, slvr, treo 650, ipaq's, etc.... must of the DIY sites send unlocked phones if its not unlocked just unlock it.[/quotec419dc677e]

Well..this "tutorial" is really just to tell people HOW to unlock it...not to get a phone for uber cheap.

Is the reason this whole thread exists P[/quotec419dc677e] my point is that if you cant find a unlocked one then get a locked one and then use this thread as a refrence to get the phone unlocked

samz465

15-06-2006 17:01:54

[quotec2cf0f9c19="Stroid"][quotec2cf0f9c19="samz465"][quotec2cf0f9c19="Stroid"]i say do a DIY site there are alot out there with sidekick 2's, razr, slvr, treo 650, ipaq's, etc.... must of the DIY sites send unlocked phones if its not unlocked just unlock it.[/quotec2cf0f9c19]

Is the reason this whole thread exists P[/quotec2cf0f9c19] my point is that if you cant find a unlocked one then get a locked one and then use this thread as a refrence to get the phone unlocked[/quotec2cf0f9c19]
Oh alright )

Vector

15-06-2006 18:23:40

yea i actually want a new phone that is better, i have had my phone for a little over a year, my contract just ended.

samz465

15-06-2006 18:25:49

[quote9f6957eb9f="Vector"]yea i actually want a new phone that is better, i have had my phone for a little over a year, my contract just ended.[/quote9f6957eb9f]
Shoot.
Then ebay is your best bet dude...
Stay away from local stores. They are (honestly) a little more overpriced.

Stroid

15-06-2006 20:19:27

according to http//www.cellphonehacks.com/viewtopic.php?t=44838 you must be a cingular or tmobile customer for atleast 90days and they should most likely unlock your phone for free

Gooogler

17-06-2006 22:50:35

Will they do it even if you don't need to travel?

samz465

18-06-2006 05:52:27

[quote23a6483890="Gooogler"]Will they do it even if you don't need to travel?[/quote23a6483890]
Lol yes..
You have to do that thing called lying