WTB: Wired Router/Switch

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=29774

Peinecone

04-01-2006 16:08:32

My xbox is coming on Mon, and i want to get my network connection all set up. I am looking to buy a wired router probably 4 port. Any one have one laying around?

Also, can anyone explain to me the differance between a router and a switch? What is the best if i want to share a broadband internet and set up a network between my computer and 360?

dudelovesFinch1035

04-01-2006 16:16:43

Xbox from me ;) and the GCs I gave you when you get it think you can put a brag bag for me ;)?

tmberwolff

04-01-2006 16:32:37

[quotee9d41441aa="Peinecone"]
Also, can anyone explain to me the differance between a router and a switch? What is the best if i want to share a broadband internet and set up a network between my computer and 360?[/quotee9d41441aa]

Ya know... I don't think there's a single post in here that doesn't have some mention of a half.com GC...

that being said, the difference between switch and a router is the ability to do any sort of network address translation, or DHCP. For example, if you're ISP gives you a cable modem it usually only has 1 IP address. Without some help, only one computer can use that IP at a time. On a switch, you could hook multiple computers up to the cable modem, but they'd fight for control of the IP, and neither one would work effectively. A router assigns unique internal IPs to each computer and then reads all incoming and outgoing packets of information. The router determines which computer the information needs to go to and then changes the IP destination from the external IP to the unique internal IP of that computer. Likewise, all outgoing traffic is tagged with the destination of the external IP (I believe).

Short answer a router has more magic than a switch (which has more magic than a hub).

Shorter answer You need a router.

Peinecone

04-01-2006 16:39:45

thanks tmbrwolf, +karma.

i thought a router is what i would need. I don't have a cable mondem, my connection comes in through my apartment in a service panel with all the different outlets in my apartment. But i think it is the same setup as a cable modem.

tmberwolff

04-01-2006 16:49:32

you mean you only have an ethernet port to plug your computer into? If that's the case, you may only need a switch. In fact, you may have to have one (not really, but let me explain...)

If you are getting your internet from your apartment complex, and they have control over the router which assigns IPs, it may be difficult to configure a router to do DHCP if it is linked to another router that is also doing DHCP. I've never gotten this setup to work properly with any of my networks... You almost always have to have a switch or hub used to bridge the networks...

The good news is that you can force a router to be a switch. You can go into the router setup, disable DHCP and set the router to either be assigned automatically or manually to a non-standard router IP. This allows all the computers behind the router to pass through without having packets altered and such, which allowed the first router to do all the translation voodoo...

Basically... Buy a router (no point wasting money on a switch). but be prepared to fiddle with it if it doesn't work immediately.

Peinecone

04-01-2006 16:54:06

Yes, all i really have is an ethernet port. ON the panel where is comes into my apartment is one port with FEED. Then 4 more ports that have to have an ethernet cable from the feed to each one. So i would need some sort of hub to disperse between 2 or more.
I think i will also call my ISP and see what they suggest.

Cash4Cookies

04-01-2006 17:19:23

I have a Dlink DI-604 4 port router that you can have if you pay shipping. All it comes with is the router and power cable. No CD's or anything, but Im pretty sure u can download what you need on their website. Send me a PM if interested.

Peinecone

04-01-2006 17:20:52

[quotebaf81d09d3="Cash4Cookies"]I have a Dlink DI-604 4 port router that you can have if you pay shipping. All it comes with is the router and power cable. No CD's or anything, but Im pretty sure u can download what you need on their website. Send me a PM if interested.[/quotebaf81d09d3]

PM'd D