Taxes

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78880

nygiantzrock

13-06-2009 11:12:41

What % of the prize value do you have to pay for taxes?

bennyboy5768

13-06-2009 11:39:47

Depends on your tax bracket. Anywhere from 10% and up.
http//www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

nygiantzrock

13-06-2009 11:57:02

Okay cool, thanks.

kinneylamb

13-06-2009 12:49:41

really i'd just report it as income and let them figure it out

orangejuice

13-06-2009 18:26:00

You have to pay taxes on gifts? Thats a new one.

dmorris68

13-06-2009 19:04:35

[quote0c27d9d179="orangejuice"]You have to pay taxes on gifts? Thats a new one.[/quote0c27d9d179]
Please, just stop. Please.

tylerc

13-06-2009 20:40:24

[quotee2ebba197f="orangejuice"]You have to pay taxes on gifts? Thats a new one.[/quotee2ebba197f]

You don't if you enjoy federal prison.

kinneylamb

13-06-2009 20:54:34

he's just trying to get a rise out of people, because he's not getting a lot of money from brandarama he'd gladly pay taxes on, if he didnt fraud them and they didn't find out first

slambam

13-06-2009 23:39:53

OK, serious question about taxes and the Brandarama situation. Do we have to pay taxes if and when we get these checks? Since they are rebates and we've already paid taxes on the items for the rebate, would that make it different than a normal gift?

ghounds07

14-06-2009 00:36:16

interesting call slambam, anyone know? fuck taxes

Eeyore

14-06-2009 09:10:36

You should not have to report a rebate as income unless you deducted the original purchase as, for example, a business expense. At this point I think a very good argument exists that the Mpell process is/was legitimately a rebate since we've all been out of pocket for months waiting for the checks.

bennyboy5768

14-06-2009 13:20:07

Unless they send me a 1099, I ain't reporting shit. It is a very good point and I think that the law states that rebates are not tax deductible. I suppose we'll all have to wait until tax time to see what happens and how Brandarama/MPell handles it. That is if we get paid first...

kinneylamb

14-06-2009 13:39:57

they dont call it a rebate they call it a cashback certificate. and youre not getting a small rebate discount, your getting the full amount of whatever you spent back, including the taxes remember. the bottomline of the receipt is your cashback amt. like what manofice received. so its still "iffy" id be careful about it.

ghounds07

14-06-2009 15:12:11

yeah and I bet that ARG would just say that the Mpell contract was terminated so they don't have to consider the cashback certificate anymore, and they'll give us all 1099's.

dmorris68

14-06-2009 18:22:02

It's taxable. To try and weasel your way out of it due to contrived issues of "rebate" or whatever is no less tax fraud than what OJ is saying, and we will not discuss it here.

Whether you get a 1099 or not, it's taxable. If and how you commit tax fraud is up to you, but we're not going to tacitly condone it by encouraging discussion of it here, either.

orangejuice

14-06-2009 23:21:59

I was joking for christ's sake

hawke12

25-06-2009 11:17:05

Thank God for tax exemption ;)

fbskiracer

12-07-2009 10:11:09

So how do we claim losses for what Brandarama isn't paying us? What is the procedure for that?

wiebelhaus03

12-07-2009 17:38:11

ya thats a good question i'm wondering the same thing

kinneylamb

12-07-2009 21:30:13

lol thats quick thinking -- worry about it in december if you still received nothing, then ask a tax expert

Eeyore

12-07-2009 22:11:55

There are no losses, unfortunately. You received product for what you spent on trials and not getting the 'gift' is not a loss for tax purposes.

andyoi630

13-07-2009 07:20:20

You can claim the loss as settlement for a debt owed to you. I forget which form is for it, but you take the value of what you are owed as a tax deduction and a letter is sent to them showing your debt is settled.

I forget how this is done.

Eeyore

13-07-2009 08:47:42

Hmmm...the IRS would think differently. You did not receive a [ba33b42fe06]gift[/ba33b42fe06], which is totally different from having a debt go bad. There is no debt owed you since you did not pay out an amount creating it and unless you already reported the gift as income there is nothing to deduct the non-payment against.

This is not a casualty loss either, so no luck with the theft or disaster angle.

In fact, it's equivalent to having someone promise you a pony for your birthday and then backing out at the last minute. You can not deduct the cost of a pony from your income in that case either.

andyoi630

13-07-2009 09:11:22

That could be true since you didn't loan out the money. Except that if you did an MPell cashback certificate I'm sure you could swing it your way into this. You did shell out the full amount and you entered a contract with them.

Eeyore

13-07-2009 11:03:25

That would be a basis for a claim against Mpell...which now that ARG has gone on the record as being toast would be your only chance. However, since you still have the value of the gift card(s) or items purchased in anticipation of the cashback rebate you suffered no actual damages.

mariners1999

13-07-2009 12:41:44

[quotef67d45886c="Eeyore"]That would be a basis for a claim against Mpell...which now that ARG has gone on the record as being toast would be your only chance. However, since you still have the value of the gift card(s) or items purchased in anticipation of the cashback rebate you suffered no actual damages.[/quotef67d45886c]

Can't we just file in Small claims court, get a judgement against ARG for what they owe us and then when they either file for bankruptcy or will not pay with demand letters etc write it off as a "bad debt" when itemizing?

M

kinneylamb

13-07-2009 21:44:35

actually you dont have losses to claim ever, because the terms and conditions state it can change at anytime, and you dont have to receive a gift ever if they dont want to

andyoi630

14-07-2009 06:07:28

[quotefcc1c2e1be="mariners1999"][quotefcc1c2e1be="Eeyore"]That would be a basis for a claim against Mpell...which now that ARG has gone on the record as being toast would be your only chance. However, since you still have the value of the gift card(s) or items purchased in anticipation of the cashback rebate you suffered no actual damages.[/quotefcc1c2e1be]

Can't we just file in Small claims court, get a judgement against ARG for what they owe us and then when they either file for bankruptcy or will not pay with demand letters etc write it off as a "bad debt" when itemizing?

M[/quotefcc1c2e1be]

I would say you could do this. But you can only file in Small claims before they file bankruptcy I believe.

mariners1999

14-07-2009 09:43:34

[quote9969ee7ced="andyoi630"][quote9969ee7ced="mariners1999"][quote9969ee7ced="Eeyore"]That would be a basis for a claim against Mpell...which now that ARG has gone on the record as being toast would be your only chance. However, since you still have the value of the gift card(s) or items purchased in anticipation of the cashback rebate you suffered no actual damages.[/quote9969ee7ced]

M[/quote9969ee7ced]

I would say you could do this. But you can only file in Small claims before they file bankruptcy I believe.[/quote9969ee7ced]

Yes that is correct I believe however if the file Bankruptcy then you can "file" with the bankruptcy court as an unsecured creditor and you would have paperwork that proves they owed you $$$.... I think we should be able to write this off regardless. Just file in small claims or when they declare BK file with BK court.lili

lilinot tax advise but I would talk to your accountant to see if possible.

M

Eeyore

14-07-2009 10:40:56

The problem with all of this is you have to prove damages even in small claims. Your damages are not the gift value...it is what you are out of pocket once the value of the trial offers is subtracted. You could win a judgment that amounts to $10 or less...

mariners1999

14-07-2009 11:22:21

[quotec4ca653861="Eeyore"]The problem with all of this is you have to prove damages even in small claims. Your damages are not the gift value...it is what you are out of pocket once the value of the trial offers is subtracted. You could win a judgment that amounts to $10 or less...[/quotec4ca653861]

Not sure that is how it works.... I won a small claims court judgement against a freebie company about 2 years ago and they were required to pay me the amount they owed me (42 inch plasma TV valued at 1800 bucks). I only spent $45 on the offers but the judge saw that I entered a contract with the company (like an independent contractor) and for my time and cost they were to give me a 42 inch plasma. The company made money on my work and I spent my time (worth money) and cash to complete the contract.

What you are saying is if I only spent $10 out of pocket to go to work today and I was not paid and I sued they would only owe me $10??? Not for my time or work completed???

You may have had different results when you filed. What happend when you did it?

M

Eeyore

14-07-2009 12:22:44

You got that due to the contractual nature of the relationship. I don't see that in ARG's terms, but you never know what a judge will do. Both the company and you had to agree to those terms.

I have not had to go after freebie companies (yet) but when collecting debts there are some pretty clear lines you need to stay inside of. This would be such a case.

kinneylamb

15-07-2009 02:19:03

[quotee380b37b25="mariners1999"][quotee380b37b25="Eeyore"]The problem with all of this is you have to prove damages even in small claims. Your damages are not the gift value...it is what you are out of pocket once the value of the trial offers is subtracted. You could win a judgment that amounts to $10 or less...[/quotee380b37b25]

Not sure that is how it works.... I won a small claims court judgement against a freebie company about 2 years ago and they were required to pay me the amount they owed me (42 inch plasma TV valued at 1800 bucks). I only spent $45 on the offers but the judge saw that I entered a contract with the company (like an independent contractor) and for my time and cost they were to give me a 42 inch plasma. The company made money on my work and I spent my time (worth money) and cash to complete the contract.

What you are saying is if I only spent $10 out of pocket to go to work today and I was not paid and I sued they would only owe me $10??? Not for my time or work completed???

You may have had different results when you filed. What happend when you did it?

M[/quotee380b37b25]

no he's saying if youre owed a $500 gift and you spent $490 on offers then your damages are $10. but i think you have a good shot at more than that just given the nature of this scheme that has befallen you.

Eeyore

15-07-2009 10:41:59

No, that is not what I am saying. Your damages are what you spent minus the value of any offers you keep, which could easily dilute your out of pocket to near zero. Just because you had a $500 gift card "gift" coming (note the word "gift" in there) does not necessarily mean they are obligated to make you whole. In fact, the wording implies that the $500 gift card is incidental to you completing the program. This sort of language is what lawyers make big money writing, and your chances in small claims court depend almost entirely on how grouchy the judge is that day.

mariners1999

15-07-2009 12:12:58

[quotefb8547f1bf="Eeyore"]No, that is not what I am saying. Your damages are what you spent minus the value of any offers you keep, which could easily dilute your out of pocket to near zero. Just because you had a $500 gift card "gift" coming (note the word "gift" in there) does not necessarily mean they are obligated to make you whole. In fact, the wording implies that the $500 gift card is incidental to you completing the program. This sort of language is what lawyers make big money writing, and your chances in small claims court depend almost entirely on how grouchy the judge is that day.[/quotefb8547f1bf]

That is why I like Small Claims Courts..... They will NEVER send someone out to my state when I file against them. I will win by default.

One thing that the judge had said that struck me was that a normal person in my case that jumped through all the companies hoops would expect their gift. I played by their rules and then they chose not to hold up their end of the bargin. Judgement for Plantiff.

I don't think I will ever get any money but a nice tax writeoff would be helpful.

M

kinneylamb

15-07-2009 22:51:02

wait so you went and thats what he said? ha thats great, yea thats more along the lines of what i was thinking, despite all the legal jargon, its like shopping for cereal boxes at the supermarket but when you hand the cashier the money, the stockboy steals the box and puts it back in the shelf, cause the supermarket terms and conditions says youre not garaunteed to check out with your item haha

mariners1999

16-07-2009 09:41:10

[quote3b72126fb9="kinneylamb"]wait so you went and thats what he said? ha thats great, yea thats more along the lines of what i was thinking, despite all the legal jargon, its like shopping for cereal boxes at the supermarket but when you hand the cashier the money, the stockboy steals the box and puts it back in the shelf, cause the supermarket terms and conditions says youre not garaunteed to check out with your item haha[/quote3b72126fb9]

LOL.... Yea I went a few years back vs. a company and that is what he said. The company did not even show up and I had all my paperwork, emails, T&C etc. for him to review. He let me talk for about 2 min to explain what happened and looked at what I brought. Since no one showed up he entered a judgement against the company. I really think he was disappointed he could not grill the rep from the company. He also said that the T&C were ambiguous and would not hold up in very many courts in his opinion. I was paid about 2 months later after demand letters were sent certified to the company and I was able to get a hold of the COO of the company.

M

hum1m9e8r8b

16-07-2009 14:25:08

[quote69012a05c1="mariners1999"][quote69012a05c1="kinneylamb"]wait so you went and thats what he said? ha thats great, yea thats more along the lines of what i was thinking, despite all the legal jargon, its like shopping for cereal boxes at the supermarket but when you hand the cashier the money, the stockboy steals the box and puts it back in the shelf, cause the supermarket terms and conditions says youre not garaunteed to check out with your item haha[/quote69012a05c1]

LOL.... Yea I went a few years back vs. a company and that is what he said. The company did not even show up and I had all my paperwork, emails, T&C etc. for him to review. He let me talk for about 2 min to explain what happened and looked at what I brought. Since no one showed up he entered a judgement against the company. I really think he was disappointed he could not grill the rep from the company. He also said that the T&C were ambiguous and would not hold up in very many courts in his opinion. I was paid about 2 months later after demand letters were sent certified to the company and I was able to get a hold of the COO of the company.

M[/quote69012a05c1]
nice

kinneylamb

16-07-2009 22:03:59

holy crap thats great .. justice

manOFice

17-07-2009 09:18:37

[quote5762b73d73="mariners1999"][quote5762b73d73="kinneylamb"]wait so you went and thats what he said? ha thats great, yea thats more along the lines of what i was thinking, despite all the legal jargon, its like shopping for cereal boxes at the supermarket but when you hand the cashier the money, the stockboy steals the box and puts it back in the shelf, cause the supermarket terms and conditions says youre not garaunteed to check out with your item haha[/quote5762b73d73]

M[/quote5762b73d73]

ha, thats a great story, nice work