DIY process tips

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=75431

rustvyper

01-05-2008 15:13:56

Hey, I've been in & out of the game since 04 & thought I would share a couple of the tips I've learned. If anyone else wants to chime in, I know there are tons of things I could be doing better & haven't thought of.

- deletable email=s I pay yahoo mail $20 a year for pop access. That also comes w/address guard, so everytime I start a new site I create an email address that looks like this joanthan7584-{insert whatever here}@yahoo.com. usually I do something gift related, i.e. email=jonathan7584-1k@yahoo.comjonathan7584-1k@yahoo.coms I pay yahoo mail $20 a year for pop access. That also comes w/address guard, so everytime I start a new site I create an email address that looks like this joanthan7584-{insert whatever here}@yahoo.com. usually I do something gift related, i.e. email=jonathan7584-1k@yahoo.comjonathan7584-1k@yahoo.com/email, if it was a $1000GC.
libonus tip I set a rule when I download into outlook that filters to a folder specifically set for the gift. That way all my email is going one place, but I don't get snowed under in spam. Soon as I have the gift in hand, the address is deleted & the spam thread is gone.

- virtual account numbers. I have a citi rewards MC that allows me to generate virtual one-time use account numbers w/preset amounts on them. Forget to cancel a trial? no problem! they ain't getting jack outa your CC!
libonus tip if the amount is only $5, don't set 5, set something bigger like $20, often they authorize a larger amount that you never see, but don't charge that amount.

last one I'm sure all the verterans do...
- create a word document before I sign up laying out my entire game plan & cancellation dates w/contact numbers & emails. This helps with the paper trail & not missing when free trials are going to end. then when I'm done with the gift, I save it in a folder. Often offer companies have seveal sub-companies, but you are dealing with the same parent so it's sometimes nice to go look at past documentation to get a number or email.

Hope these help out some folks, & maybe I'll get some good ideas too...

zr2152

01-05-2008 15:29:30

[quote0c66e11cba="rustvyper"]
- virtual account numbers. I have a citi rewards MC that allows me to generate virtual one-time use account numbers w/preset amounts on them. Forget to cancel a trial? no problem! they ain't getting jack outa your CC!
libonus tip if the amount is only $5, don't set 5, set something bigger like $20, often they authorize a larger amount that you never see, but don't charge that amount.
[/quote0c66e11cba]

Thanks for the great fraud tips.

rustvyper

01-05-2008 15:40:56

you're welcome! actually I keep many of my offers...including the citi rewards mc, that was an offer. But I've also had dishonest companies charge me time after time, even when I'd canceled. This is a safe way that also keeps your CC# from floating around. JMO, but there's always someone more moral than the next guy...you can tell b/c they're the ones always willing to let you know about it too.