Can Netblue/Yfdirect be trusted with my SSN?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=38715

userz

05-05-2006 13:13:09

Hello all. I am about ready to send in my w9 form and get my $1000 check but I'm a little worried about giving Netblue my SSN. I'll be applying for student loans soon and I really don't want something to potentially screwup my chances at going to college due to identity theft messing up my credit. Also, I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars going to a tax preperation place like H&R Block to help me do my taxes to factor in the free gift. Do some of you feel the same the way, or do you think $1000 is worth the risk? Also, how many people have submitted their w9 to Netblue without any worries or problems later on?

Thanks for your opinions.

ajrock2000

05-05-2006 13:23:51

You are fine.

Wolfeman

05-05-2006 13:41:29

I mean they can be as trsted as anyone. I mean if you send in a credit app. someone can steal your SSN...

dmorris68

05-05-2006 14:02:57

Really now, SSN's are required for conducting all sorts of transactions. They are a legitimate business and due to tax law have every right to your SSN if you want a gift, so I don't see an issue.

TheWorkGuy

06-05-2006 17:25:43

I have sent my W-9 to them already, and have zero worries!

Look at it this way,
YF Direct/NetBlue was the only DIY network that DID NOT require W-9 forms until March 7, 2006
So, to begin with I don't think they wanted to require W-9s (That kills any worries about them wanting to use your SS#, because if that was their motive, why wouldn't they have done that from the beginning?)

Secondly, The Representative on the phone actually read me a statement about how the W-9s are picked up at the Post Office, logged that they were received, and then placed in a "locked" file cabinet for the duration that the IRS requires (aka can request a copy of the form).

TWG

nitriv

07-05-2006 15:57:11

[quote0c267f7d77="userz"]Also, I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars going to a tax preperation place like H&R Block to help me do my taxes to factor in the free gift.

Thanks for your opinions.[/quote0c267f7d77]

If all you have to report is the gift you could probably do your taxes online which will cost you about $20.