CYA on DIY sites ...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=32974

MiamiTJ

14-02-2006 09:24:07

This should be a sticky ...

When ever doing a site, esspecially a DIY site, always get screenshots of everything -- offer pages, TOS, gift rules, gift page. Anything that can be used in case things change at a later time.

tonydanza92

14-02-2006 11:11:37

Even the part in the terms and conditions where they reserve the right to change anything later?

Cause that would realllllly save you roll

Airkat

14-02-2006 11:18:38

Yes, but if they change the terms later, and you used their website BEFORE the change -- therefore governed by PREVIOUS terms -- it can help you.

Or.. we can just bite the head off of those who try to help...

MiamiTJ

14-02-2006 11:30:06

[quote415b539ec3="tonydanza92"]Even the part in the terms and conditions where they reserve the right to change anything later?

Cause that would realllllly save you roll[/quote415b539ec3]

your right -- in your case dont copy anything -- your too smart for it ...

hyperboarder

14-02-2006 11:52:07

Good call TJ, with all the shit Brandarama is pulling, and since they're not as good on the CS side as Nuitech, covering your ass is a necessity.

ilanbg

14-02-2006 12:30:36

Very good thinking.

tonydanza92

14-02-2006 20:34:02

[quotea222d55a79="Airkat"]Yes, but if they change the terms later, and you used their website BEFORE the change -- therefore governed by PREVIOUS terms -- it can help you.

Or.. we can just bite the head off of those who try to help...[/quotea222d55a79]

Shut up dude.... you are a mod for DIY so people take your word for this, why cause them to waste their time when it will do nothing?

It won't cover your ass at all... this is ripped directly from their terms

[quotea222d55a79]YF Direct, Inc., a California corporation, may revise these terms from time to time, at our sole discretion, by updating this posting. Unless otherwise provided below, the revised terms will take effect when they are posted. Your continued use of the Service will signify your acceptance to the modified terms. Please review the terms on this website frequently to look for changes.[/quotea222d55a79]

If you copy everything they can still just say "too bad, we changed it."

Airkat

15-02-2006 05:28:19

How about YOU shut up. Read the terms that you so conveniently posted.

Do they NOT say that they will take effect when they were updated? So, if they update the terms saying you cant do the site if you live in Colorado and a user lives there and sent in his certs already -- he's not covered?

We've ALREADY seen this happen with pollprize. They changed the site from 3 to 18 (I think). Because users signed up when it was 4 they were "grandfathered in".

Why are you making such a big deal (and ass of yourself) anyways? People can't take steps to make themselves feel better? If you're not gonna help then just lurk like the 500 others

MiamiTJ

15-02-2006 05:34:56

[quoteb734e84a0a="tonydanza92"][quoteb734e84a0a="Airkat"]Yes, but if they change the terms later, and you used their website BEFORE the change -- therefore governed by PREVIOUS terms -- it can help you.

Or.. we can just bite the head off of those who try to help...[/quoteb734e84a0a]

Shut up dude.... you are a mod for DIY so people take your word for this, why cause them to waste their time when it will do nothing?

It won't cover your ass at all... this is ripped directly from their terms

[quoteb734e84a0a]YF Direct, Inc., a California corporation, may revise these terms from time to time, at our sole discretion, by updating this posting. Unless otherwise provided below, the revised terms will take effect when they are posted. Your continued use of the Service will signify your acceptance to the modified terms. Please review the terms on this website frequently to look for changes.[/quoteb734e84a0a]

If you copy everything they can still just say "too bad, we changed it."[/quoteb734e84a0a]

Well Ill have you know that pollprize changed their mind about the offers required because I mentioned I had screenshots of EVERYTHING. They would not budge untill I explained that we (the group here that did the site) , would be using the screenshots to close their business down.

Now lets face it -- no one here cares for your posts in this thread. And no one agrees with you -- so just stop whining and keep your attitude to yourself ...

tonydanza92

15-02-2006 08:00:42

http//www.americaswonderlands.com/images/KC/RoseBW-Web.jpg[" alt=""/imgaac21f09e4]

[iaac21f09e4]doylnea edited TD's choice of picture.[/iaac21f09e4]

doylnea

15-02-2006 08:14:46

[quote54323a547e="tonydanza92"]http;//www.americaswonderlands.com/images/KC/RoseBW-Web.jpg[" alt=""/img][/quote54323a547e]

TD, stop being an ass. You're in the wrong here and are cruising for a temp ban (and probably should be for posting the pic of tubgirl).

Airkat

15-02-2006 08:20:34

Thanks for the edit doylnea )

kevxross

15-02-2006 11:00:50

Yeah I saw the tripod broken image fortunately, but noticed the name was tubgirl. Way to make yourself look like a complete asshole in a single thread Tony.

As for me - I just do a File>Save Page As on the terms pages. I've also started collecting whois information, at least for the lesser known sites. You can't be too safe with these sites and the more info you've got, the better chance you have if a dispute comes up.

MiamiTJ

15-02-2006 11:18:53

[quotee490946138="kevxross"]Yeah I saw the tripod broken image fortunately, but noticed the name was tubgirl. Way to make yourself look like a complete asshole in a single thread Tony.

As for me - I just do a File>Save Page As on the terms pages. I've also started collecting whois information, at least for the lesser known sites. You can't be too safe with these sites and the more info you've got, the better chance you have if a dispute comes up.[/quotee490946138]

The problem with a simple "save as" is in the case of pollprize they use a script to get the offer number. When you save it -- it wont give you the offer number -- just some code.

Airkat

15-02-2006 11:27:07

Wellt he other problem is that HTML can be edited easily, screenshots in context would be better I think

kevxross

15-02-2006 11:43:01

hmm, you're both correct. As for TJ - I don't do it on the offers pages, just the Terms and Conditions, which included the offer requirements and everything on the site I did (ConsumerSavingCenter). For Airkat - It would take 5 or 6 screenshots to capture all the terms and conditions, even if I turned my widescreen monitor vertical. There really is no way to 100% CYA, but every bit you do can only help.

tonydanza92

15-02-2006 12:44:20

[quote358eabfc52="kevxross"]Yeah I saw the tripod broken image fortunately, but noticed the name was tubgirl. Way to make yourself look like a complete asshole in a single thread Tony.[/quote358eabfc52]

I've done it many times before, just search the scammers section for my name... I'm not here to make friends anyway.

I still think that taking screen caps wont do anything if the company really tries to screw you, but if it makes people feel better have at it.

MiamiTJ

15-02-2006 16:32:24

[quotefb3077693a="kevxross"]hmm, you're both correct. As for TJ - I don't do it on the offers pages, just the Terms and Conditions, which included the offer requirements and everything on the site I did (ConsumerSavingCenter). For Airkat - It would take 5 or 6 screenshots to capture all the terms and conditions, even if I turned my widescreen monitor vertical. There really is no way to 100% CYA, but every bit you do can only help.[/quotefb3077693a]

Well, I usually take the 5+ screenshots of the tos -- i have no problem with it.

As for the "offers rules" from Pollprize -- the text also uses a script to auto add the offer numbers. just make sure to take a peek at the code before you save.