A REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8865

aznjunli

16-03-2005 18:20:40

Ok i know we all exicted signing up for free stuff..

BUT

when we sign up is our Information be RESOLD to other SPAM/AD companys?

Since im using my Credit Card will my Social Secuirty be safe or affected

thanks for your time!

Collateral

16-03-2005 18:22:18

You're kidding right? How would they get your SSN? They can't just simply enter a credit card and pop out a SSN.

aznjunli

16-03-2005 18:23:47

how about personal information

if any information what information are the company circulating?

thanks for your input Collateral!

aznjunli

16-03-2005 18:24:33

btw i did enter my SSN on General motors Card site
do you tihnk that a bad idea?

Collateral

16-03-2005 18:26:44

[quote944753ea14="aznjunli"]btw i did enter my SSN on General motors Card site
do you tihnk that a bad idea?[/quote944753ea14]

Signing up for a credit card? Only reason I can think of GM wanting your SSN. I'm sure you're fine. I'm not sure about personal information. All I can think of is them selling your email address. Atleast they used too. Now they have an opt-out list and an unsubscribe list.

mr0x

16-03-2005 20:05:17

[quote19aff090bd="aznjunli"]Ok i know we all exicted signing up for free stuff..

BUT

when we sign up is our Information be RESOLD to other SPAM/AD companys?

Since im using my Credit Card will my Social Secuirty be safe or affected

thanks for your time![/quote19aff090bd]

Your e-mail is definately sold for spam/ad companies. Plus, they use the information that your friends/referrals probably like the same things as you do and spam them similarly or use that data for "marketing" purposes.

I don't think Gratis sells your physical address but the offers that you sign up certainly does. A lot of them say that your address will be used for marketing purposes.

However, I doubt anything for identity theft could be taken. The credit card companies do need your SSN for credit verification purposes but unless someone working at the credit card company ILLEGALLY sells the information I'm sure you'll be allright.

aznjunli

17-03-2005 10:22:55

I tihnk puting my SSN on GM Card site should be safe, There are the Largest private company to offer benefits + and jobs

am i right?

xs10shul

17-03-2005 10:31:44

Well, since selling credit card info is illegal without permission, and since most of these transfers are encrypted, you're about as safe from 3rd parties as anywhere else.

Your email, OTOH, is probably not protected, but spam is blocked easily enough.

As for your home address, that's technically not protected at all since it's publicly available.

kevxross

17-03-2005 10:34:49

I haven't gotten a single spam email yet, amazingly. Either way, once I'm done with this stuff I'll probably just abandon that gmail account as I had planned anyway. Junk snail mail is easy enough to toss, and I don't answer my land line phone. Use virtual credit card numbers and you've got nothin to worry about.

aznjunli

17-03-2005 10:39:49

wat does OTOH mean ? and is my SSN safe with GM (what a silly question) just want to find postive!

Thanks for your help!

Btw what are virtal Credit Card?

kevxross

17-03-2005 10:45:58

OTOH = on the other hand.

Your SSN is probably safe with GM, but I would be very careful about giving it out, especially to companies you've never heard of. But GM should be ok.

Virtual credit cards are numbers that some cc companies will provide to their cardholders. They are random number assignments that they will give you that will act as temporary, disposable credit cards that you can set the $ limit and expiration date on. They're good for using for online purchases and free trials like this, because they are real, legit credit cards, but you don't have to give out your REAL number, and you can set limits. I don't know what other credit card companies provide this service, but I use Citi.

aznjunli

17-03-2005 11:12:58

I was reading a bunch of post and i gotscared, while registering one of my account i remember i put @hotmail.com at the end, then i made a new acount to @yahoo.com. i dont know which site i made it on im scared to try to look but i know i have a acount for 2 sites one which i sign up and didnt touch it the other i sign up and i am fully active on it.

what can i do to not be put on hold?

jadem

17-03-2005 11:56:25

My head really really hurts. Why do I not have patience for this?

roll