College and Laundry

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8835

PoPoJiJo

16-03-2005 13:52:24

This post is primarily for college students(but PLEASE feel free to answer if your not)
I am looking to open a laundry delivery service in a college town, and I'm looking for some feedback.
What we would offer
A weekly prepaid laundry pick up and delivery service We pick up your dirty laundry from outside of your door either once or twice a week or once every other week depending on what service plan you select on the same day at approximately the same time and drop off your clean clothes from the last pickup.

We would also offer call ins Where you call on the day you want your clothes picked up and we can have them back to you the next day (costs more)

We would also act as a normal laundry service with drop offs and pick ups

Basically what I would like to know Please answer as muck or as little as you feel comfortable with
Older then 18?
Older then 21 or Younger?
College student?
What gender are you?
Would you use a service like this?
How much would you pay?
Would your parents pay?
What does/doesn't appeal to you about this?
Any ideas and suggestions

Thanks a ton for your help!
popo
Also if you dont feel comfortable showing this info to everyone but wouldn't mind sending it to me you can also email/pm me responses

Retro

16-03-2005 14:06:47

Older then 18? Yes, 20
Older then 21 or Younger? younger
College student? Yes
What gender are you? Female
Would you use a service like this? probably not
How much would you pay? $12 - $15
Would your parents pay? no
What does/doesn't appeal to you about this? I can do laundry myself in my dorm so I see no reason to have anyone else do it.
Any ideas and suggestions A service like this became available to my campus this semester and I thought no one would use it. But I did see that people were actually using the service. I wouldn't, but I think it's a good idea because some students aren't use to doing their own laundry or don't feel like it. I think it's a good idea if it hasn't been done on your nearby campus.
A marketing tool that the company used was to give the whole campus laundry bags that had the companies info attached. That's how they got the word out and I think that was a good idea.

Good luck!

xs10shul

16-03-2005 14:14:52

It would entirely depend on how much you charged, I think. I mean, when I was in school, a cleaning service would have been nice, too, but I certainly couldn't afford it.

Since you're necessarily competing with coin-op machines in dorms and private businesses, my advice would be to price out what it costs for an average week's worth of coin-op laundry. Once you know that, you'll know what you're up against.

RealtorKen

16-03-2005 14:29:03

Hell, during the summer I had a shore house. I would come home for like 2-3 days and first stop would be to the cleaners to drop off ALL my laundry. It was 89 cents per pound, I think the most I ever spent was like 30 bucks. Well worth it!

Good Luck

FreeOffersNow

16-03-2005 14:29:05

[b987f886fe2]Older then 18?[/b987f886fe2] Yes
[b987f886fe2]Older then 21 or Younger?[/b987f886fe2] I'm 19
[b987f886fe2]College student?[/b987f886fe2] Yes, Soph.
[b987f886fe2]What gender are you?[/b987f886fe2] Male
[b987f886fe2]Would you use a service like this?[/b987f886fe2] No
[b987f886fe2]How much would you pay?[/b987f886fe2] Not much
[b987f886fe2]Would your parents pay?[/b987f886fe2] No
[b987f886fe2]What does/doesn't appeal to you about this?[/b987f886fe2] Our coin-op machines were switched out last year, so its free to do laundry as long as you provide your detergents of choice.
[b987f886fe2]Any ideas and suggestions[/b987f886fe2] Guarantee against damage (bleach stains, etc.), Allow for choice in which detergents?

PoPoJiJo

16-03-2005 15:28:16

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied so far your input is greatly appreciated

red summer sun

16-03-2005 16:11:18

Older then 18? Yes
Older then 21 or Younger? younger
College student? Yes
What gender are you? Female
Would you use a service like this?
How much would you pay? I don't know. I would only pay like $20 a month. BUT, if you provided a flat rate for a whole semester or something, kids parents may pay for it. I just feel it's more likely to be used as a graduation gift or something of the sort, rather than college students paying for the service themselves, but theyd use it if it was a gift
Would your parents pay? Yeah I think they might
What does/doesn't appeal to you about this? I would love not having to do my laundry, but i wouldnt want to wait long at all to get it back.
Any ideas and suggestions

shifuimam

16-03-2005 17:36:11

Whatever you do, make sure you have someone proofread your ads and any other fliers or documents you create. roll

nicd.01

16-03-2005 17:45:17

Older then 18? Yep
Older then 21 or Younger? No
College student? Yes
What gender are you? Male
Would you use a service like this? I doubt it.
How much would you pay? $10-15 a week.
Would your parents pay? Maybe
What does/doesn't appeal to you about this? I don't usually do laundry more than once a week so it wouldn't be cost effective. I'd also have my clothes as soon as they were done washing.
Any ideas and suggestions The free laundry bag is an excellent idea. You could also make little cards to put in with your clothes choosing what detergent, temperature, fabric softener, etc. will be used. Some sort of damage/loss guarantee would also be good. A lot of college students are pretty busy so I could see your idea working, especially during exams.

penguin

16-03-2005 23:04:10

you may have already seen this but www.soapyjoes.com is a local laundry service identical to what you're thinking of starting

Blink0731

16-03-2005 23:23:23

Older then 18? Yes
Older then 21 or Younger? Younger
College student? Yes
What gender are you? Male
Would you use a service like this? Depends
How much would you pay? 8-15 bucks a week
Would your parents pay? no
What does/doesn't appeal to you about this? The appealing part is the fact that I wouldnt have to do my laundry - idk if i would like other people touching my clothes and stuff though
Any ideas and suggestions- mabey like specials like a end of the semester special or something

Scarlett

17-03-2005 06:04:22

I'm older than 18.
I'm older than 21. I'm 23.
Yes, I'm a college student.
I'm female.
I wouldn't use a service like this.
If I did, I'd probably pay 10 bucks or so.
No, my parents wouldn't pay.
I hate doing laundry, so it is appealing, but it would be a waste of money for me, since I have my own washer and dryer.

PoPoJiJo

17-03-2005 18:24:10

Thank you to all the people who took the time to help me out D D D This input is invaluable