Averatec or iBook?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=8187

PodTopia

08-03-2005 19:24:04

I'm completed on http//www.thefreeproject.com. I've got 18 referrals, enough for the Averatec P4 3.0GHz Notebook and the Apple iBook 12" G4 1.2ghz. I am either going to trade it in (to a retail store) or sell it on eBay, because I'm saving up for a Powerbook G5 (when they come out). I've had trouble finding the approximate $$ value of both on eBay and in stores. Please post what you find to be the "highest valued" of the two laptops. Thank you!!!!

Collateral

08-03-2005 19:29:34

[quote752691ed67="PodTopia"]I'm completed on http//www.thefreeproject.com. I've got 18 referrals, enough for the Averatec P4 3.0GHz Notebook [b752691ed67]and [/b752691ed67]the Apple iBook 12" G4 1.2ghz. I am either going to trade it in (to a retail store) or sell it on eBay, because I'm saving up for a Powerbook G5 (when they come out). I've had trouble finding the approximate $$ value of both on eBay and in stores. Please post what you find to be the "highest valued" of the two laptops. Thank you!!!![/quote752691ed67]

You can get both o LOL Sorry, I don't know which one is more valuable. Just go on eBay and search both of them and see what they are going for and then get the one going for the most and sell it.

EatChex89

08-03-2005 19:31:10

apples are usually more expensive and sell for more.. why? i don't know. maybe because they are better.

PodTopia

08-03-2005 19:34:05

[quote94c126c659="Collateral"]
You can get both o LOL Sorry, I don't know which one is more valuable. Just go on eBay and search both of them and see what they are going for and then get the one going for the most and sell it.[/quote94c126c659]

I did look, but its hard to distinguish between the two. It's like a $25 difference.

J4320

08-03-2005 19:36:43

I think the iBook would sell better on ebay.

Andrew

08-03-2005 19:44:57

iBook will defaintly dell...stands out ya know.

techdude05

08-03-2005 19:53:08

[quote3559b66252="EatChex89"]apples are usually more expensive and sell for more.. why? i don't know. maybe because they are better.[/quote3559b66252]it boils down to quality. since the majority of PCs run Windows (sorry Linux geeks), PCs are associated with being slow, even though in reality is that Windows sucks at booting up after you use it for a while (blame registry and startup programs). in other words, PCs are seen to just become slower with use, thus devaluing it as time goes on.

Macs on the other hand are known for quality and speed. Macintosh bootups are usually faster than PCs (no invalid registry keys making the OS go "wtf??!") and Apple's products are known to withstand the test of time. Just go into the Apple support forums and you will see people still using their iMacs from 1997 or if you're really lucky, see a person using a Apple Macintosh (original 1984 one) with Mac OS 1.0. Try finding out how many people still use Windows 1.0 (1985) and you will understand what I mean.

shifuimam

08-03-2005 20:15:03

[quote8f184c2858="techdude05"][quote8f184c2858="EatChex89"]apples are usually more expensive and sell for more.. why? i don't know. maybe because they are better.[/quote8f184c2858]it boils down to quality. since the majority of PCs run Windows (sorry Linux geeks), PCs are associated with being slow, even though in reality is that Windows sucks at booting up after you use it for a while (blame registry and startup programs). in other words, PCs are seen to just become slower with use, thus devaluing it as time goes on.

Macs on the other hand are known for quality and speed. Macintosh bootups are usually faster than PCs (no invalid registry keys making the OS go "wtf??!") and Apple's products are known to withstand the test of time. Just go into the Apple support forums and you will see people still using their iMacs from 1997 or if you're really lucky, see a person using a Apple Macintosh (original 1984 one) with Mac OS 1.0. Try finding out how many people still use Windows 1.0 (1985) and you will understand what I mean.[/quote8f184c2858]

Uh, I REALLY doubt that's the only reason.

It's also called capitalism - Apple maintains a tight hold on their technology, and they are the only ones who manufacture the hardware that is compatible with their operating system. Why WOULDN'T they charge an arm and a leg for their product? They essentially have a monopoly on that market, and they're doing what any corporation with any sense would do - they mark up the product as much as consumers are willing to pay.

I know you hate Windows and whatnot, but Apples aren't that expensive just because they're "better".

PodTopia

08-03-2005 20:19:03

LOL Shifuimam. ORDER PLACED FOR iBOOK; SHOULD SHIP IN 2-3 WEEKS. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, TOPIC DELETE PLEASE!

EatChex89

08-03-2005 20:44:10

[quote989fb42dbf="PodTopia"]LOL Shifuimam. ORDER PLACED FOR iBOOK; SHOULD SHIP IN 2-3 WEEKS. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, TOPIC DELETE PLEASE![/quote989fb42dbf]

woohoo! glad you took my advice mrgreen

even if you DO decide to keep it apples are nicer than windows... the OS is nicer and everything.

Lunarpancake

08-03-2005 22:20:08

only reason apples dont seem to "slow down" over time, and due to registry shit is because theres so few programs available the average apple user probably has 5 programs he/she installs aftermarket where as a Windows users has TONS.

Apples = trendy and thats all.

holycow

09-03-2005 00:19:50

I'm jealous. And Apple comps always seem to sell high.

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 00:33:35

[quote8261e27015="Lunarpancake"]only reason apples dont seem to "slow down" over time, and due to registry shit is because theres so few programs available the average apple user probably has 5 programs he/she installs aftermarket where as a Windows users has TONS.

Apples = trendy and thats all.[/quote8261e27015]

A mac user is just as likely to install about as much software as a Windows or any other OS user. The reason there's no slow down due to "registry shit" is because there is no registry. It was an incredibly stupid idea and once MS has had to live with since 95. It wasn't until 2000 that they even managed a good stable system again.

Even if you're recommendation held up. That'd just explain how complete the software package you get with OS X is where as users are left scrambling to find a way to be productive in Windows. wink

Also, for the record that is, OS X installs will even show they're age if they're poorly maintained. The catch is that OS X has scheduled maintenance scripts that help somewhat and basic maintenance is pretty simple. Since 10.3 all files under 20 MB are automatically defragged if accessed and found to be fragmented and the most a user typically has to do is run the occasional permissions repair to clean up after a bad software install/uninstaller. roll

Seriously though, getting stuck up about your OS is ridiculous. If you like what you use, great. Don't get ansty about what other people say. This goes both ways. I'm just as quick to cut down a Mac user that seriously considers Windows a bad OS, especially since 2k and XP have been great.

(Windows 95 and it's inbred sibblings are crap, so are all the Mac OSes bellow X. This is something I won't argue over as it's just too damn obvious on both sides. 8) )

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 00:34:39

And I'm just full of mid night grammar/type disasters. x

shifuimam

09-03-2005 05:03:15

[quotee47ad0b852="NeoWolf"](Windows 95 and it's inbred sibblings are crap, so are all the Mac OSes bellow X. This is something I won't argue over as it's just too damn obvious on both sides. 8) )[/quotee47ad0b852]

Finally someone says something that isn't completely biased! o

EatChex89

09-03-2005 08:09:35

Well actually I have to say that Windows 98SE is actually a very nice OS...

I use Windows XP at home and Mac OS X at college... both have their differences.

The main reason Macs are more expensive, is because they're BUILT faster... PCs are not built fast off the shelf, PC users have to upgrade their computers to get them as fast as Macs..

Also, I have to say that the Mac interface is a whole heck of alot nicer than Windows.. or maybe it's because i used Windows for 13 years before ever looking at a Mac (only OS X+ has a nice GUI, the older Mac Classics are pretty ugly)

One thing I especially like about windows (and wish this could be in macs..) was the 'Show Desktop' button.. so i can get to the desktop with ease, on Macs i have to press the little minimize button, haha.

but yea i like both systems, although I'd rather have a mac (i'm bored of windows -P)

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 09:08:51

[quote3642a3dc0b="EatChex89"]Well actually I have to say that Windows 98SE is actually a very nice OS...

I use Windows XP at home and Mac OS X at college... both have their differences.

The main reason Macs are more expensive, is because they're BUILT faster... PCs are not built fast off the shelf, PC users have to upgrade their computers to get them as fast as Macs..

Also, I have to say that the Mac interface is a whole heck of alot nicer than Windows.. or maybe it's because i used Windows for 13 years before ever looking at a Mac (only OS X+ has a nice GUI, the older Mac Classics are pretty ugly)

One thing I especially like about windows (and wish this could be in macs..) was the 'Show Desktop' button.. so i can get to the desktop with ease, on Macs i have to press the little minimize button, haha.

but yea i like both systems, although I'd rather have a mac (i'm bored of windows -P)[/quote3642a3dc0b]

Well Windows 98 was better, but much like OS 8 was better than 7 if you ask me. Also it's nice to see somewhat that agrees, I didn't care for the look of the Classic OS either. As for the show desktop - Exposé does that to a large degree. Not quite the same as you really just get to work with finder that way but still useful. 8)

EatChex89

09-03-2005 09:46:50

[quote3972008651="NeoWolf"][quote3972008651="EatChex89"]Well actually I have to say that Windows 98SE is actually a very nice OS...

but yea i like both systems, although I'd rather have a mac (i'm bored of windows -P)[/quote3972008651]

Well Windows 98 was better, but much like OS 8 was better than 7 if you ask me. Also it's nice to see somewhat that agrees, I didn't care for the look of the Classic OS either. As for the show desktop - Exposé does that to a large degree. Not quite the same as you really just get to work with finder that way but still useful. 8)[/quote3972008651]

yea on macs i use expose FREQUENTLY... its just whenever i take screenshots i have to minimze all my windows just to see the file on the desktop and open it..

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 10:07:44

One of the expose functions brushes all the windows aside so you can have at your desktop.

techdude05

09-03-2005 12:06:38

ok, no more mac vs PC rivalry here. i'm sick and tired of it.

bottom line Macs pwn PCs in speed and resell value, PCs pwn Macs in terms of software selection.

EatChex89

09-03-2005 16:59:03

[quote1e37ff1815="NeoWolf"]One of the expose functions brushes all the windows aside so you can have at your desktop.[/quote1e37ff1815]

oh really... i'll have to investigate into that -D

that would be extremely useful during Lab @ college

Collateral

09-03-2005 17:01:38

[quote5039b04b79="EatChex89"][quote5039b04b79="NeoWolf"][quote5039b04b79="EatChex89"]Well actually I have to say that Windows 98SE is actually a very nice OS...

but yea i like both systems, although I'd rather have a mac (i'm bored of windows -P)[/quote5039b04b79]

Well Windows 98 was better, but much like OS 8 was better than 7 if you ask me. Also it's nice to see somewhat that agrees, I didn't care for the look of the Classic OS either. As for the show desktop - Exposé does that to a large degree. Not quite the same as you really just get to work with finder that way but still useful. 8)[/quote5039b04b79]

yea on macs i use expose FREQUENTLY... its just whenever i take screenshots i have to minimze all my windows just to see the file on the desktop and open it..[/quote5039b04b79]

That's why I prefer windows, just because I have had bad experiences with macs ?

NeoWolf

09-03-2005 17:04:34

I've had much more bad experience with Windows, but I also used Windows for much longer than I have Mac OS. Within the same time frame I have roughly the same ammount of problems with Win2k and beyond (I just ultimately had trouble with most of the 9x series even though they did improve, NT is rock solid though!) That being said I also keep up regular maintenence regardless of what system. Otherwise it's no surprise it goes to hell.

Tholek

09-03-2005 20:47:35

LOL!

http//dailyramblings.com/images/dhl.jpg[" alt=""/img4d63e26614]

Very nice.