Arghh Internships, I want one but they are so hard to get :(

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79216

Powerbook

02-10-2009 21:25:04

I have some decent work experience and a wonderful GPA, but since I am a business major it is super tough to find a good internship right now. Everyone wants MIS or IT right now. Any of you happen to know any recruiters for some good companies who are looking for finance, consulting, supply chain, HR, and other business fields? It looks like I will be volunteering again this summer. Don't get me wrong I like volunteering, but I want to do something different and possibly make some decent money.

tylerc

02-10-2009 22:11:45

You and me both man. I've got a solid GPA (3.6) and a pretty competitive resume, but I'm not getting shit. There was an accounting career fair here at school a few weeks ago, and BKD LLP (10th largest accounting firm in the U.S.) said they're only taking 3 interns this summer. I assume they meant from IU, but still, there's 5000 undergraduate students here! It's really frustrating, because everyone wants you to have experience, but no one is giving anything out.

nobody2000

03-10-2009 00:22:09

Internships are tough shit.

Either one of you guys have a SIFE (students in free enterprise) club in your schools? My undergrad school of less than 1000 had a SIFE team, and undergrad JUNIORS got decent internships at HSBC, KPMG, and some other places....some of these people I know had shit resumes and so-so GPAs...

Club affiliations are BIG. Check the alumni office, and see if you can get a hold of any alumni that may be looking for interns....a simple letter might open up an opportunity....some businesses despise interns, but many really find them valuable.

Hell, SIFE got me into the Buffalo MBA program, not anything amazing, but still top 50. I was a math and bio major with zero work experience. Check some things out.

Powerbook

03-10-2009 05:57:26

Yeah, the alumni base is the only thing that can help right now. Yeah I feel you Tyler. You and I both go to top schools, and we are far from being secure.

TFOAF

03-10-2009 08:49:53

My neighbor used to work over @ MLB. He might be able to get me an internship there, that would be awesome. D

DRay9911

03-10-2009 11:40:18

[quoteb4360116de="tylerc"]You and me both man. I've got a solid GPA (3.6) and a pretty competitive resume, but I'm not getting shit. There was an accounting career fair here at school a few weeks ago, and BKD LLP (10th largest accounting firm in the U.S.) said they're only taking 3 interns this summer. I assume they meant from IU, but still, there's 5000 undergraduate students here! It's really frustrating, because everyone wants you to have experience, but no one is giving anything out.[/quoteb4360116de]

you should intern for your neighbor

-dan

tylerc

03-10-2009 12:11:43

[quote1e8b5c04f7="DRay9911"][quote1e8b5c04f7="tylerc"]You and me both man. I've got a solid GPA (3.6) and a pretty competitive resume, but I'm not getting shit. There was an accounting career fair here at school a few weeks ago, and BKD LLP (10th largest accounting firm in the U.S.) said they're only taking 3 interns this summer. I assume they meant from IU, but still, there's 5000 undergraduate students here! It's really frustrating, because everyone wants you to have experience, but no one is giving anything out.[/quote1e8b5c04f7]

you should intern for your neighbor

-dan[/quote1e8b5c04f7]

I asked an old neighbor last summer, lol.

bballp6699

03-10-2009 17:31:32

Accounting is really the only department they hire interns for where I work. Keep looking, they're out there.

ilanbg

03-10-2009 18:17:33

You guys are business majors, right?

Why not start your own business instead of getting internships? Show some of that entrepreneurial spirit.

Powerbook

03-10-2009 18:35:36

[quote900e160afd="ilanbg"]You guys are business majors, right?

Why not start your own business instead of getting internships? Show some of that entrepreneurial spirit.[/quote900e160afd]

I tried doing that once before. I thought I knew something others didn't. It turns out that I became just another statistic.

Anyways, I also like politics and government work. That's something I really want to get into eventually.

ilanbg

03-10-2009 21:09:26

[quote8fe1c45c60="Powerbook"]I tried doing that once before. I thought I knew something others didn't. It turns out that I became just another statistic. [/quote8fe1c45c60]

I obviously don't know anything about what you did, so this may not apply, but I think people over-think startups way too much. This article[=http//chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/the-case-for-the-100-business/]This article is pretty good at explaining what I mean.

If you have basic business sense, time/commitment, and are willing to take a bit of risk, I don't think making money on your own terms is difficult. Hell, the example in the article is some chick who was selling pies—that doesn't require much creativity.

And, as counter-intuitive as this sounds, the current economy is full of opportunity. I was actually thinking a few days ago that if I was interested in pursuing business I would be so excited right now.

[quote8fe1c45c60]Anyways, I also like politics and government work. That's something I really want to get into eventually.[/quote8fe1c45c60]

Try working for a Congressman, the Hill will always take interns.

Powerbook

04-10-2009 10:15:06

I actually worked for my Congressman during the past summer at the district office. I was hoping to secure a job that paid a little at least this summer. I did have a good time, and I do have great experience now at least.

DRay9911

04-10-2009 15:52:11

[quotee11683a6a8="Powerbook"]I actually worked for my Congressman during the past summer at the district office. I was hoping to secure a job that paid a little at least this summer. I did have a good time, and I do have great experience now at least.[/quotee11683a6a8]

how's congressman foley doing these days?

[quotee11683a6a8="ilanbg"]You guys are business majors, right?

Why not start your own business instead of getting internships? and then get some hot college chicks to intern for you.[/quotee11683a6a8]

/fixed to make a good idea even better

-dan

Powerbook

04-10-2009 16:09:11

[quotebb6f92753e="DRay9911"][quotebb6f92753e="Powerbook"]I actually worked for my Congressman during the past summer at the district office. I was hoping to secure a job that paid a little at least this summer. I did have a good time, and I do have great experience now at least.[/quotebb6f92753e]

how's congressman foley doing these days?

[quotebb6f92753e="ilanbg"]You guys are business majors, right?

Why not start your own business instead of getting internships? and then get some hot college chicks to intern for you.[/quotebb6f92753e]

/fixed to make a good idea even better

-dan[/quotebb6f92753e]

Hah Foley.

manOFice

05-10-2009 06:53:57

sucks real bad right now not to have a job. You would think company's would be looking for interns to save money. I hope you guys find one.

ilanbg

05-10-2009 08:25:51

[quotef736da0c8c="manOFice"]sucks real bad right now not to have a job. You would think company's would be looking for interns to save money. I hope you guys find one.[/quotef736da0c8c]

The problem, at least in DC, is that a lot of graduated students spend a few months looking for jobs, are unable to find one, and eventually take on an un-paid internship with the hopes of getting hired once it's over. It's like a last resort for getting their foot in the door.

Only problem is it doesn't leave many internships open for actual students...

Vector

06-10-2009 10:46:13

you can try phlint internships. i dont htink they are offering one now but if you are in college or just out of college it is a great experience. google some stuff on it for more info!