laptops, who uses them?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=79175

akalic

19-09-2009 15:19:44

I just got my first laptop ever. Took me two years of university to pull the trigger on it. Lenovo x200. Small, lightweight, fast. it's AWESOME!

who else lugs a laptop to school or whatever? just curious what everyone else uses

J4320

19-09-2009 15:33:28

Just got a new macbook pro a few days ago after my other one got destroyed from water damage -

http//a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1587/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/macbookpro" alt=""/img/product-front-13.jpg[/img748d9e1cd8]

http//store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX

$1,500. I really do love it although it sucks how it set me back financially. But I have the coolest loan for it ever (parents) where I pay it off at my own leisure when I'm graduated with a steady job.

akalic

19-09-2009 16:31:12

Man, i would definitely get one of those if i had the cash. I spent 1000CAD on mine so it wasn't that bad. i was really amazed at the battery life of my x200 (6hrs at the least fully charged) so it all worked out.

macbooks are so damn sexy though

J4320

20-09-2009 00:08:26

The metal on this thing is coooooooooooold when you first grab it and start using it. lol

akalic

20-09-2009 02:17:27

yeah then it heats up like crazy..from my recollection of the old macbook pros that is

Zags1199

20-09-2009 11:36:46

[quote18ecc7c34a="J4320"]The metal on this thing is coooooooooooold when you first grab it and start using it. lol[/quote18ecc7c34a]

Does it stay relatively cool while in use? I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with hot my white MacBook gets on my lap.

ilanbg

20-09-2009 12:55:38

I bought my Macbook 5 years ago. In the first two years, I had to send it away about a dozen times for various issues ranging from overheating to the screen no longer working. They replaced so many parts on it that probably more than half of the computer was new, finally the keyboard broke and they decided to send me a completely new one. During that time I was lucky if the laptop ran more than two weeks before something went wrong again.

The new one hasn't had too many problems, but the battery they sent me was defective (it didn't present problems until after the warranty expired so I've been stuck with a 40 minute battery life for the past 3 years), various pieces of plastic around the edges keep breaking off, and there is a wire sticking out of the back of the screen.

In short, fuck Apple hardware. I've had the same problems with my iPods. I barely take either of them off my desk and they still manage to fall apart. Maybe I've had bad luck with their products, but if their software wasn't so user-friendly (especially considering the alternatives...), I'd switch off them in a heartbeat. In the meantime I am going to run this laptop into the ground, we'll see how much longer it lasts.

mistertomlinson

20-09-2009 13:37:11

[quote073ac3ec2b="ilanbg"]I bought my Macbook 5 years ago. In the first two years, I had to send it away about a dozen times for various issues ranging from overheating to the screen no longer working. They replaced so many parts on it that probably more than half of the computer was new, finally the keyboard broke and they decided to send me a completely new one. During that time I was lucky if the laptop ran more than two weeks before something went wrong again.

The new one hasn't had too many problems, but the battery they sent me was defective (it didn't present problems until after the warranty expired so I've been stuck with a 40 minute battery life for the past 3 years), various pieces of plastic around the edges keep breaking off, and there is a wire sticking out of the back of the screen.

In short, fuck Apple hardware. I've had the same problems with my iPods. I barely take either of them off my desk and they still manage to fall apart. Maybe I've had bad luck with their products, but if their software wasn't so user-friendly (especially considering the alternatives...), I'd switch off them in a heartbeat. In the meantime I am going to run this laptop into the ground, we'll see how much longer it lasts.[/quote073ac3ec2b]

You DEFINITELY got some bad luck with Apple gear... I've owned an iBook, MacBooks and several MacBook Pros (not trying to look cool... it wouldn't have been possible without freebies) and I've only had problems with one and I actually think it had more to do with the early Leopard OS. Often times, when shutting down, I would close the screen the SECOND it went blank and for some reason it would interrupt the shut down process and the computer would continue to run and overheat. I would come back to my MB to find it extremely hot to the touch and could hear the fan running at full speed. Apple replaced the battery, just assuming it was defective, but from that point on, I stopped closing the screen right away upon shutting down and gave it a couple of seconds to REALLY shut down and I never had the problem again. Apple notebooks have always been great to me and I'm currently using a 2-3 year old aluminum iMac that I rarely shut down and it's never had any problems!

http//i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/mistertomlinson" alt=""/img_0341.jpg?t=1253478991

(WTF is up with this image tag?! HTML is on in my profile...)

shamash

20-09-2009 18:03:27

I've had a MacBook, iMac, Macbook Pro (early 2009 model) and I've gotten great support for all of them.

Zags-

The new Macbook Pros do still get pretty warm, but they don't overheat to the extent of old macbooks in my opinion.

theysayjump

20-09-2009 18:56:18

I have a Macbook Pro I got as a freebie this year. 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 256MB video card, 15.4" screen. It gets really hot when I BootCamp into Windows so I bought a USB fan thinger it sits on and that works great.

Fully charged it lasts about 4.5 hours and I've never had any problems with it crashing or hanging, although I can testify to it not shutting down properly if you close it too quickly.

akalic

20-09-2009 21:00:49

ok lets just change this place to FreeMacbookGuide

shamash

21-09-2009 09:58:15

[quotee1a60f17de="akalic"]ok lets just change this place to FreeMacbookGuide[/quotee1a60f17de]

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/smilies_mod/upload/45e5070b7508925c9fdd1408a687a5ba.gif[" alt=""/imge1a60f17de]

Veek

21-09-2009 13:52:19

What the hell? ^^

J4320

21-09-2009 14:46:11

lol nice to see someone using my shitstorm gif. lol

[quoteeec37cec6b="Zags1199"][quoteeec37cec6b="J4320"]The metal on this thing is coooooooooooold when you first grab it and start using it. lol[/quoteeec37cec6b]

Does it stay relatively cool while in use? I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with hot my white MacBook gets on my lap.[/quoteeec37cec6b]

It eventually gets somewhat hot but it's not too bad in my opinion.

shamash

21-09-2009 21:33:04

[quotecebae5cdf3="Veek"]What the hell? ^^[/quotecebae5cdf3]

hai v33k

unknown uchiha

22-09-2009 00:35:36

http//hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs240.snc1/8734_1147314997168_1056330036_30387188_2987915_n.jpg[" alt=""/imgcd6e95c34f]

Macbook Pro 15" (Unibody, Late 2008)
2.53 GHz, 6MB L2
320GB HDD
4GB DDR3
9400M + 9600M GT (512MB)
$1579 (down from $2499) via MacConnection
Purchased in July with money from TheRewardDepot )

In the distance is my old white Macbook (1st Gen, Mid 2006, 2 GHz, 250GB, 2MB DDR2, Intel GMA 950 for about $1500)

Macbooks DO get hot. I run SMC Fan Control to monitor its temperature/fan RPM as well as set it to spin faster if needed. I've gone through a loaned iBook and these two laptops pictured and a TON of iPods (I've owned at least two Classics, three Nanos and a Shuffle with only two iPods having ever purchased. The others were all freebies).

What do you guys use to protect the thing? I have a Speck case, an antiglare screen protector from Moshi and an old iSkin from my white Macbook that needs dire replacing and I'm thinking of getting a palmguard. I carry it to school only when I need to (i.e. Final Cut work) and I use an InCase slim nylon backpack for it.

I don't know how I feel about the lack of an SD card slot or the removable battery. Luckily if I take the Macbook Pro around with me I'll always have a way of plugging it in and I do own an SD card adapter to use. The ExpressCard/34 slot hasn't seen any use from me at all though but I'm looking into getting a USB/Firewire expansion card for it.

ilanbg I'm sorry but you have TERRIBLE luck with Apple products. Is this the White Macbook? Personally after about three and a half years, mine is a bit in that situation. The edges of the palmrest do chip away and my Superdrive has 'caved in' due to picking it up with one hand a few years ago by accidence. Battery life has shot down to a mere ten to twenty minutes for me and the thing overheats left and right. Hope your current one doesn't fuck up again.

Tomlinson I think you should remove the text after the '.jpg'url==http://=http:///url extension

[quotecd6e95c34f="theysayjump"]I have a Macbook Pro I got as a freebie this year. 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 256MB video card, 15.4" screen. It gets really hot when I BootCamp into Windows so I bought a USB fan thinger it sits on and that works great.

Fully charged it lasts about 4.5 hours and I've never had any problems with it crashing or hanging, although I can testify to it not shutting down properly if you close it too quickly.[/quotecd6e95c34f]

I'm pretty sure that in Windows, the default graphics card used is the 9600M GT which could be the source of overheating.

EatChex89

22-09-2009 19:55:50

I don't bring laptops to school because I dislike the extra weight on my shoulder(s). I instead bring my Livescribe Pulse Pen.

Also, I have an iBook 12" G4 (the last model they made before macbook) which runs swimmingly even after I dropped the damn thing on a wood floor (had to send it in to repair the screen as it came off the hinge slightly). Battery life is about 20mins if I'm lucky, so I mostly only use it when it's plugged in. I don't want to buy another battery atm.

And I own an HP G60-230s which was SUPPOSED to be paid with the money from brandarama but we all know what happened there.

I want to get an iMac or a MBP next.

unknown uchiha

23-09-2009 00:42:53

[quote4321e0feb3="EatChex89"]I don't bring laptops to school because I dislike the extra weight on my shoulder(s). I instead bring my Livescribe Pulse Pen.

Also, I have an iBook 12" G4 (the last model they made before macbook) which runs swimmingly even after I dropped the damn thing on a wood floor (had to send it in to repair the screen as it came off the hinge slightly). Battery life is about 20mins if I'm lucky, so I mostly only use it when it's plugged in. I don't want to buy another battery atm.

And I own an HP G60-230s which was SUPPOSED to be paid with the money from brandarama but we all know what happened there.

I want to get an iMac or a MBP next.[/quote4321e0feb3]

How's the Livescribe working out for you? I've been interested in trying it out, watched a live demo at Macworld this year. Looks interesting but the cost seems pretty steep for the pen and notebooks and whatnot.

I'd suggest getting an MBP, it's portable while the iMac isn't =]

EatChex89

23-09-2009 09:31:54

[quote843e19f651="unknown uchiha"][quote843e19f651="EatChex89"]I don't bring laptops to school because I dislike the extra weight on my shoulder(s). I instead bring my Livescribe Pulse Pen.

I want to get an iMac or a MBP next.[/quote843e19f651]

How's the Livescribe working out for you? I've been interested in trying it out, watched a live demo at Macworld this year. Looks interesting but the cost seems pretty steep for the pen and notebooks and whatnot.

I'd suggest getting an MBP, it's portable while the iMac isn't =][/quote843e19f651]

For the 1GB it's only $130. If you are in school and have a class like calculus or something where there's a lot of formulas, then it's really worth it. I bring it to all of my classes (except where the teacher says no recording allowed) and later go back and fill in blanks where I didn't get notes or go over something that may have been important. Also you can search thru your notes, so whenever the teacher says something about a concept being an exam question, I'll write TEST next to it and then before the exam I search for all instances of TEST and replay what the teacher was saying.

Also the books are not that expensive. It's like $15 for a 4 pack.