WWDC June '09! New iPhone and 3.0!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78865

mistertomlinson

07-06-2009 18:23:50

Searched and couldn't find an appropriate thread.

New iPhone should be revealed tomorrow, but not likely available for purchase for another month or so. (

My iPhone is on eBay right now and the auction will end just hours before WWDC, so hopefully I'm paid before the buyer hears the news.

Of course, "leaked" pics have been popping up everywhere depicting a new matte black case, a black bezel (not chrome) and the latest "leak" has a front facing camera for video chatting. It's also supposed to have twice the RAM, a significantly faster processor and comes in 5 different models including a 32GB!

We'll find out tomorrow at 10pm PST, if I remember correctly.

EatChex89

07-06-2009 19:35:58

Yeah I've heard the rumours too. I'm excited. My contract with Verizon ends on the 25th so I'm probably going to make the switch.

akalic

07-06-2009 23:07:36

if there is a 32gb one i want it )

doylnea

08-06-2009 08:32:20

I've heard the iPhone is going to come to VZW once the current contract with ATT runs out. I'd consider one at that point, but, there's no way I'm switching to ATT's crappy service for an iPhone.

manOFice

08-06-2009 09:02:25

[quotef0b2ed5597="doylnea"]I've heard the iPhone is going to come to VZW once the current contract with ATT runs out. I'd consider one at that point, but, there's no way I'm switching to ATT's crappy service for an iPhone.[/quotef0b2ed5597]

ditto

DRay9911

08-06-2009 09:06:11

here's a live blog link if anyone wants to follow it

http//live.gizmodo.com/

-dan

Armstrong

08-06-2009 13:40:10

Mildly impressed with the new phone. If I didn't have a crack in my screen I probably wouldn't be considering getting a new one. We'll see

mistertomlinson

08-06-2009 15:42:48

Gay, I gotta pay $399 for the 16GB upgrade. Fuckin' eBay user hadn't paid me anyway. Tell me, why would anyone win an auction and NOT pay as soon as they do? I've never done this and I don't understand why anyone would.

EatChex89

08-06-2009 17:32:12

[quoteed0089b9a4="mistertomlinson"]Gay, I gotta pay $399 for the 16GB upgrade. Fuckin' eBay user hadn't paid me anyway. Tell me, why would anyone win an auction and NOT pay as soon as they do? I've never done this and I don't understand why anyone would.[/quoteed0089b9a4]

you're not supposed to back out. give him a negative rating

J4320

08-06-2009 18:17:26

[quote0911a063b9="doylnea"]I've heard the iPhone is going to come to VZW once the current contract with ATT runs out. I'd consider one at that point, but, there's no way I'm switching to ATT's crappy service for an iPhone.[/quote0911a063b9]

From my experience, ATT has been a great service. I haven't tried VZW but my family has definitely come to prefer ATT over Sprint. Everyone has different needs and different services offer different perks. I think it's kind of a sweeping statement to say that ATT has crappy service. Why do you find it so crappy? (genuine question here - bad reception, shitty rates, etc.?)

mistertomlinson

08-06-2009 18:59:52

I can say AT&T definitely sucks the balls here in Lynchburg, VA. Besides us NOT having 3G (and I'm paying a MANDATORY $10 a month extra for 3G), even though we were supposed to have it by the beginning of this year. I get horrible service at work. It's a particularly populated area of Lynchburg (it's also an upper class neighborhood) and my iPhone sometimes STRUGGLES just to get 1 bar outside.

And god knows, the iPhone plans are waaaaaaaaay too high. My bill for this month is $95 (don't ask me why) and I don't get SHIT for that! Something like 200 SMS, 500 anytime minutes... maybe 1,000 weekend minutes. I can't even remember anymore.

So, I believe doylnea's complaint is location specific. I imagine AT&T is much better in bigger cities.

[quote87a4b04b8f="EatChex89"]you're not supposed to back out. give him a negative rating[/quote87a4b04b8f]

They haven't actually backed out. They just popped up at the last hour of the auction, bid, won and didn't say shit... so I have no reason to believe they wont pay, it just bugs the shit outta me when they don't pay within 24 hours. ESPECIALLY since they were at their computer just minutes before the end of the auction, so they KNOW they won.

When I go looking for something on eBay, I have the money to pay for it RIGHT THEN and if I win an auction, I pay for it right away. I don't understand why I as a seller ALWAYS have to wait. I even emailed them as soon as the auction ended and asked what carrier they were planning to use (I unlocked the iPhone) and sent an invoice. I haven't received any sort of response.

... AND sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. Apparently you haven't heard. Yup... that's right. WTF?! You can either leave positive or neutral, but no negative. All I can do is open a dispute and give them a non payment strike and hope eBay removes the negative feedback they inevitably leave.

At this point, I'm not sure that I care. If I wait till December, I can get the new iPhone at the $199 price saving me $200. If they decide not to pay me, I'll likely hold onto it until then. Fuck it. Apple is getting lazy. "Just throw a faster processor and more RAM in it... oh yeah, those compasses are pretty cheap. Throw one of those in." Dammit, I wanted a front facing camera (even though I'd never use it)!!!

theysayjump

08-06-2009 20:10:10

I'm impressed by the new phone actually, but maybe that's the initial WWDC fervor still going on inside me. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be completely unimpressed.

I live in a shitty little town and AT&T works fine for me, my wife and my mother-in-law. We're all on the same plan, but my sister-in-law is on a different plan, as is my brother-in-law, both with AT&T and they don't have any complaints either.

Is your $10 fee for 3G a state thing? That's kinda weird. How much did you get for your phone? Can you link to the auction?

I sold my wife's 8GB iPhone 3G on eBay a few days ago for $390 9nothing to do with getting the new one) and I intend to sell mine in a month or two to get the new one, once mine can be unlocked. Before my wife sold hers I was paying about $165 for three phones, two of which were iPhones, so now that her's is gone my bill will be around $135 for three phones, one iPhone and two regulars, unlimited calling and 200 texts.

@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).

junkie06

08-06-2009 20:27:23

i'm still waiting for the video chat feature....is this there last year with At&T? maybe they'll bring the video chat feature exclusively to verizon

tjwor

08-06-2009 21:02:13

[quotebb1a49d5e3="mistertomlinson"]Gay, I gotta pay $399 for the 16GB upgrade. Fuckin' eBay user hadn't paid me anyway. Tell me, why would anyone win an auction and NOT pay as soon as they do? I've never done this and I don't understand why anyone would.[/quotebb1a49d5e3]

some people bid on items, and then come later to see if they won, or I have won items, and then had to go transfer money to my bank account to pay for it, unless your auction says you had to pay within so long after auction end, you cant just back out because he hasn't paid you yet, and you want to keep it now...

but, if he does indeed not pay, leave him a non paying bidder mark, those are pretty painful to buyers who plan to be around a while...

mistertomlinson

09-06-2009 05:36:11

[quote50a7352fdc="theysayjump"]I'm impressed by the new phone actually, but maybe that's the initial WWDC fervor still going on inside me. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be completely unimpressed.

I live in a shitty little town and AT&T works fine for me, my wife and my mother-in-law. We're all on the same plan, but my sister-in-law is on a different plan, as is my brother-in-law, both with AT&T and they don't have any complaints either.

Is your $10 fee for 3G a state thing? That's kinda weird. How much did you get for your phone? Can you link to the auction?

I sold my wife's 8GB iPhone 3G on eBay a few days ago for $390 9nothing to do with getting the new one) and I intend to sell mine in a month or two to get the new one, once mine can be unlocked. Before my wife sold hers I was paying about $165 for three phones, two of which were iPhones, so now that her's is gone my bill will be around $135 for three phones, one iPhone and two regulars, unlimited calling and 200 texts.

@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).[/quote50a7352fdc]

I don't believe the $10 for 3G is state specific. If your phone is capable of 3G, you HAVE to pay the extra $10 regardless of whether or not you have coverage. I did some quick, haphazard googling and BAM!

As for what I got for my iPhone... the buyer won it for $340, but I clearly described scratches on the case AND screen... and there's a pretty good scuff on the corner from dropping it, so you could easily get more if yours is in better condition. I had kept an eye on eBay for a couple days and the average price was about $400 shipped, but a word of advice. I later read at MacRumors that a few people put a Buy It Now price higher than they thought they would get and actually sold them. I wanna suggest you put a Buy It Now of $450. I would have but the auction was already listed when I read about it. Again, that's higher than what they're going for, but there are a lot of people who either don't care, don't have time to wait or don't realize they're paying more than the average price. I'm not guaranteeing you will get your BIN, but if I could go back and do it again, I would give a BIN.

As for unlocking, I'm guessing you got 2.2.1 or baseband 2.30.03? If you've got 2.28.00, you can unlock it... but you probably already know this. Have you ever considered one of those SIM adapters. I looked around and it appears the Gevey SIM and VirginSIM seem to be most popular right now and a lot of people have said they work flawlessly. I couldn't find the VirginSIM, but the Gevey SIM was less than $10 on eBay. It's "guaranteed" to work with your firmware/baseband.

EDIT Sonofabitch, she just paid me. Looks like I'm phoneless for a while. I don't know what I'm gonna do without RunKeeper. FUCK... and I just had to send my iPod in under warranty, so I got NO MUSIC at work!

ilikegreens

09-06-2009 12:03:01

So, was it released... the new iphone. Anyone have any specs on it, what the news on it actually is?

EDIT NOW THAT THE IPHONE I HEAR IS $99. tHE OLDER VERSION 8GB 3G... DOES THIS MEAN THEY WILL BE GOING liliALOTlili CHEAPER ON EBAY? I may have to buy one.

mistertomlinson

09-06-2009 13:32:09

[quote64bcb09268="ilikegreens"]So, was it released... the new iphone. Anyone have any specs on it, what the news on it actually is?

EDIT NOW THAT THE IPHONE I HEAR IS $99. tHE OLDER VERSION 8GB 3G... DOES THIS MEAN THEY WILL BE GOING liliALOTlili CHEAPER ON EBAY? I may have to buy one.[/quote64bcb09268]

It's supposedly up to twice as fast with a faster processor, twice the RAM, 3 megapixel camera with autofocus, compass (so when you're viewing a map, it knows which way to turn the map in relation to the direction you are facing), video recording, voice control and it comes in 32GBs now. I don't think I've missed anything...

As for the price of the old model, I'm no expert, but I would bet it would only lower the eBay price a little. They're still expensive without a contract.

theysayjump

09-06-2009 17:28:08

[quoteb82bae3cc5="mistertomlinson"][quoteb82bae3cc5="theysayjump"]I'm impressed by the new phone actually, but maybe that's the initial WWDC fervor still going on inside me. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be completely unimpressed.

@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).[/quoteb82bae3cc5]

I don't believe the $10 for 3G is state specific. If your phone is capable of 3G, you HAVE to pay the extra $10 regardless of whether or not you have coverage. I did some quick, haphazard googling and BAM!

As for what I got for my iPhone... the buyer won it for $340, but I clearly described scratches on the case AND screen... and there's a pretty good scuff on the corner from dropping it, so you could easily get more if yours is in better condition. I had kept an eye on eBay for a couple days and the average price was about $400 shipped, but a word of advice. I later read at MacRumors that a few people put a Buy It Now price higher than they thought they would get and actually sold them. I wanna suggest you put a Buy It Now of $450. I would have but the auction was already listed when I read about it. Again, that's higher than what they're going for, but there are a lot of people who either don't care, don't have time to wait or don't realize they're paying more than the average price. I'm not guaranteeing you will get your BIN, but if I could go back and do it again, I would give a BIN.

As for unlocking, I'm guessing you got 2.2.1 or baseband 2.30.03? If you've got 2.28.00, you can unlock it... but you probably already know this. Have you ever considered one of those SIM adapters. I looked around and it appears the Gevey SIM and VirginSIM seem to be most popular right now and a lot of people have said they work flawlessly. I couldn't find the VirginSIM, but the Gevey SIM was less than $10 on eBay. It's "guaranteed" to work with your firmware/baseband.

EDIT Sonofabitch, she just paid me. Looks like I'm phoneless for a while. I don't know what I'm gonna do without RunKeeper. FUCK... and I just had to send my iPod in under warranty, so I got NO MUSIC at work![/quoteb82bae3cc5]

Yeah my baseband is 2.30.03, but the Dev-Team have hinted that there's an unlock coming for it with the release of 3.0, so I'll wait for that and see how it goes. I didn't think even those SIM adapters worked with my baseband but it claims to do so. There's also TurboSIM but that's a bit more expensive.

When I sold my wife's iPhone I put a BIN of $500 because I was seeing quite a few going for just less and just more, but her's wasn't able to be unlocked either, so it was only jailbroken, but mint condition.

I think the prices of the 3G phones will go down after launch, and then back up again, especially if AT&T keep their ridiculous pricing on the 3GS.

mistertomlinson

09-06-2009 17:47:19

[quote391b75c827="theysayjump"][quote391b75c827="mistertomlinson"][quote391b75c827="theysayjump"]I'm impressed by the new phone actually, but maybe that's the initial WWDC fervor still going on inside me. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be completely unimpressed.

@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).[/quote391b75c827]

EDIT Sonofabitch, she just paid me. Looks like I'm phoneless for a while. I don't know what I'm gonna do without RunKeeper. FUCK... and I just had to send my iPod in under warranty, so I got NO MUSIC at work![/quote391b75c827]

Yeah my baseband is 2.30.03, but the Dev-Team have hinted that there's an unlock coming for it with the release of 3.0, so I'll wait for that and see how it goes. I didn't think even those SIM adapters worked with my baseband but it claims to do so. There's also TurboSIM but that's a bit more expensive.

When I sold my wife's iPhone I put a BIN of $500 because I was seeing quite a few going for just less and just more, but her's wasn't able to be unlocked either, so it was only jailbroken, but mint condition.

I think the prices of the 3G phones will go down after launch, and then back up again, especially if AT&T keep their ridiculous pricing on the 3GS.[/quote391b75c827]

The SIM adapters DO work with the latest baseband. Before selling my unlocked via yellowsn0w, I checked my other options and after quite a bit of reading, I learned that there are several SIM adapters that do work with the latest FW/baseband. A number of people even reported then working FLAWLESSLY, while others reported dropped connections more frequently than normal. I believe there were a few other bugs, but from what I've read, the majority of people using the Gevey SIM are completely satisfied.

This (authorized) reseller even has a money back guarantee on the Gevey SIM guaranteeing it'll work... and it's only $7.95 shipped. The description states

[quote391b75c827]THE BEST HAS ARRIVED – NO BETA VERSIONS – THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!

NEW 2009 VERSION GEVEY PLUS 2 TURBO UNLOCK SIM --- THIS IS NOT THE BETA VERSION!

GUARANTEED TO WORK WITH ALL VERSIONS OF FIRMWARE 2.0.2 THROUGH 2.2.1 (5H11) AND BASEBANDS UP THROUGH AND INCLUDING 2.28 & 2.30.03.

WE HAVE TESTED AND CONFIRMED ITS FUNCTIONALITY.

ALL NEW RETAIL PACKAGING! THE NEW 2009 GEVEY PLUS 2 COMES PACKAGED IN A SEALED FOIL WRAP WITH A SEALED ANTI-STATIC BAG FOR THE GEVEY 3G PLUS 2. (SEE PICTURES BELOW)

THE NEW GEVEY 3G PLUS 2 IS SIMPLY THE BEST AVAILABLE

NO CUTTING OF YOUR SIM IS REQUIRED

INSTALLATION IS SIMPLE

NO TAPING OF SIM NEEDED

NO LOSS OF SIGNAL ISSUES!
[/quote391b75c827]

With 99.4% positive feedback (835), it doesn't look like a bad idea. I would actually feel a little more comfortable with a hardware unlock.

See, I'm a little worried because I have no way to verify yellowsn0w actually unlocked my iPhone. The buyer uses TMobile so it MUST be unlocked. I've installed it... now I'm just gonna cross my fingers and ship it. I've read a lot of people having connection issues and not being able to send calls/SMS with yellowsn0w. There are even troubleshooting steps, which I am gonna have to send to the buyer just in case they have trouble. With the SIM adapters (at least the Gevey), you're supposed to simply plug your SIM and Gevey into the iPhone, reboot and you should have service. I would feel far more comfortable selling an iPhone with a SIM adapter.

doylnea

09-06-2009 18:24:01

[quote66ac346905="J4320"]Why do you find it so crappy? (genuine question here - bad reception, shitty rates, etc.?)[/quote66ac346905]

You pretty much nailed it bad reception in my (major) U.S. city, bad reception in several other cities, and places I visit with some frequency; absurdly expensive services costs for what I get (as my employer has a 20% VZW discount), and what I would actually use.

That said, my SO would really like an iPhone, so if they do come to VZW, we'd certainly consider it.

doylnea

09-06-2009 18:27:39

[quote10ca05d5e2="theysayjump"]@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).[/quote10ca05d5e2]

My understanding is that there's no way to use an iPhone on VZW, as the iPhone is a GSM device, and VZW is CDMA. They're as incompatible as Prizebook and legitimate contests.

dmorris68

09-06-2009 21:29:32

Correct, iPhone is GSM only although I thought I heard rumors awhile back that they had a CDMA version in the pipe.

AT&T here is great, most folks around here seem to have problems with Sprint and Verizon. I've been with AT&T for about 13 years now (well, BellSouth Mobility before they were Cingular before they were AT&T) and I wouldn't dream of going with another provider. AT&T has better/faster data service (usually) plus, with few exceptions, the best phones.

I was teetering on the iPhone fence last year, but ultimately went with the HTC Fuze because I can do more with it, particularly with regards to development. The iPhone 3G still had several flaws or missing features that I couldn't get past, and an onerous dev environment for a non-Mac user like myself. However the new 3G-S has addressed almost all of my complaints, and I'm considering building a Hackintosh as an experiment, so now I'm leaning towards getting one. My wife or daughter can get the Fuze, or I'll sell it, and use one of their lines to upgrade to the iPhone.

theysayjump

09-06-2009 22:25:27

[quotefc275cb263="doylnea"][quotefc275cb263="theysayjump"]@doylnea, you could buy an unlocked phone and use Verizon, that way you wouldn't have to wait (that's if you really want one).[/quotefc275cb263]

My understanding is that there's no way to use an iPhone on VZW, as the iPhone is a GSM device, and VZW is CDMA. They're as incompatible as Prizebook and legitimate contests.[/quotefc275cb263]

Yeah I realised that after I posted it, I was thinking of T-Mobile. oops

@mistertomlinson I think I'll wait to see what the Dev-Team have in store for 2.30.03 baseband when 3.0 drops. I'd rather unlock it via yellowsn0w than with a SIM adapter. We'll see.

tylerc

09-06-2009 22:49:42

When does the contract between ATT and Apple end? My family uses Verizon, as does pretty much everyone else around here, and I'd definitely be interested in an iPhone, though I really like by BB Curve 8330.

dmorris68

10-06-2009 05:58:11

[quoted76fcfb45b="tylerc"]When does the contract between ATT and Apple end? My family uses Verizon, as does pretty much everyone else around here, and I'd definitely be interested in an iPhone, though I really like by BB Curve 8330.[/quoted76fcfb45b]
Again, you won't be able to use an iPhone with Verizon regardless, not unless/until Apple builds a CDMA version. Now it could be that they're waiting for AT&T's contract to end before officially announcing a CDMA version, but I haven't heard any CDMA news in awhile. All I remember was a comment I read somewhere a year or so ago saying "someone heard" a CDMA version was being considered. No idea of its credibility though. OTOH I've also heard that Verizon will be moving to GSM in order to catch up with the rest of the world, but they're a huge network so it would take years (like it did Cingular/AT&T).

From a business perspective, Apple would be a bit foolish not to support CDMA since Verizon's base is so huge, but then again Apple's marketing strategy has never been conventional and all-embracing.

mistertomlinson

10-06-2009 06:14:29

[quotec6ee352057="tylerc"]When does the contract between ATT and Apple end? My family uses Verizon, as does pretty much everyone else around here, and I'd definitely be interested in an iPhone, though I really like by BB Curve 8330.[/quotec6ee352057]

theysayjump

10-06-2009 09:29:56

[quotee6c14346fd="mistertomlinson"][quotee6c14346fd="tylerc"]When does the contract between ATT and Apple end? My family uses Verizon, as does pretty much everyone else around here, and I'd definitely be interested in an iPhone, though I really like by BB Curve 8330.[/quotee6c14346fd]

2010[/quotee6c14346fd]

I thought that I read when it first came out/was announced that it was a 5 year deal. shrug

Twon

10-06-2009 11:25:29

I wish Telus in Canada could support the iphone. x

puppeteer

10-06-2009 14:04:27

does Telus uses SIM cards? if so iPhone should work on that network if its unlocked that is!

this is great news! also prices for 3G are going down

dmorris68

10-06-2009 14:43:44

[quoteeb45a160d6="theysayjump"]I thought that I read when it first came out/was announced that it was a 5 year deal. shrug[/quoteeb45a160d6]
Now that you mention it, I see to recall the same. But I just did a quick Google and got numerous hits reporting the 2010 expiration date. I didn't dig any further to see if they were all possibly quoting the same (potentially bogus) source, though.

EDIT According to this page which cites various sources like the WSJ and USA Today, they're trying to get it extended until 2011 and perhaps beyond. An interesting note though is Verizon's CEO claiming they expect to work with Apple on a 4G model.

http//www.everyipod.com/iphone-faq/iphone-carrier-exclusivity-buying-unlocked-iphone.html

[quoteeb45a160d6]No official information regarding the precise length of the contract is available, but given that upon its introduction the iPhone required a two year contract with Cingular/AT&T Wireless for service it was a safe bet that the contract would be for at least two years from June 2006 in the United States. However, CNN reported that the contract was "through 2009" and USA Today reported that it was for "five years".

A January 10, 2007, article in the New York Times also said that if you want to use the iPhone on another carrier like T-Mobile, "you'll be waiting a long time, my friend" and that "the [multi-year] agreement also includes future models which would be introduced 'soon.'"

More recently, on April 15, 2009, the WSJ reported

AT&T's exclusive deal to carry the iPhone in the U.S. expires next year, according to people familiar with the matter, and [AT&T CEO Randall] Stephenson is now in discussions with Apple Inc. to get an extension until 2011.

Additionally, MacRumors spotted an April 16, 2009 interview with Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg where he noted "it is more likely that Apple would be willing to work with the carrier under the fourth-generation, or 4G, network" and speculates that since Verizon plans to launch its 4G network in 2010 and AT&T Wireless' contract expires around the same time, this would be a convenient time for Apple to support multiple carriers.[/quoteeb45a160d6]

Admin

10-06-2009 20:12:50

Just as the "home" button on my 3g starts working intermittently

Must resist urge to buy...

doylnea

10-06-2009 21:27:36

I'm pretty certain that you use that phone for 51% business purposes, don't you?

theysayjump

10-06-2009 21:55:27

I think I can smell a tax write-off in the near future for Tyler.

Admin

11-06-2009 11:28:36

i use it way more than 51% business

even considering the writeoff it's ungodly expensive to get the 32gb

come to think of it i don't use the 16gb i have so i guess i could get that. still pretty pricey.

also my contract is up for renewal on 5/2010, around the time i'd expect the 4g to come out ...

mistertomlinson

11-06-2009 19:37:21

Anybody care to guess what the iPhone 3G S will be going for on eBay shortly after the release? I was thinking about buying mine, but keeping it sealed (that is, if AT&T gives me that option. I'm not sure if in-store activation is still required) to assess the value on eBay within the first week. If the price was high enough... say, $1,000... I would gladly sell it new, buy one without a contract for $699 (I believe that's what they are without the contract) and pocket the extra ~$225 (give or take eBay/PayPal fees, shipping, taxes, upgrade fees, etc).

theysayjump

11-06-2009 21:24:55

[quotea9de6d8ce0="Admin"]i use it way more than 51% business

come to think of it i don't use the 16gb i have so i guess i could get that. still pretty pricey.

also my contract is up for renewal on 5/2010, around the time i'd expect the 4g to come out ...[/quotea9de6d8ce0]

Yeah only use about 4GB of my 16GB and I'm up for renewal in March so I may just hold out for the 4G too. I'd be happy with the 3GS, so the 4G + the features from the 3GS would be tight.

[quotea9de6d8ce0="mistertomlinson"]Anybody care to guess what the iPhone 3G S will be going for on eBay shortly after the release? I was thinking about buying mine, but keeping it sealed (that is, if AT&T gives me that option. I'm not sure if in-store activation is still required) to assess the value on eBay within the first week. If the price was high enough... say, $1,000... I would gladly sell it new, buy one without a contract for $699 (I believe that's what they are without the contract) and pocket the extra ~$225 (give or take eBay/PayPal fees, shipping, taxes, upgrade fees, etc).[/quotea9de6d8ce0]

I'm tempted to wait until the Dev-Team release a jailbreak for the 3GS and then sell that, you'd be pretty much guaranteed $1,000. In fact, looking at eBay people are spending more than $1,000 on preorder 3GSs that aren't jailbroken. Someone spent $1,175 on just an unlocked 3G.

EDIT I checked on Apple's site about pre-ordering the 3GS (to figure out the cost of buying and selling one on eBay) and they're offering to let me upgrade early, which I didn't expect, and is now very tempting, especially considering the price that some of the 16GB 3G ones are going for. What to do, what to do.

[quotea9de6d8ce0] li $299.00li — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
li $399.00li — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
li $499.00li — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)[/quotea9de6d8ce0]

Found this little gem if you want to buy just the phone from Apple without having to sign up for a contract with AT&T. It's not unlocked though, but looks like it works http//iphonehelp.in/2009/06/12/how-to-get-the-iphone-3gs-without-the-att-contract-from-apple/

I wish I had $700 to get it. I could take the risk of selling it on eBay before I even have it and hope I'll at least break even.

mistertomlinson

11-06-2009 23:31:06

[quote79df219b4e="theysayjump"][quote79df219b4e="Admin"]i use it way more than 51% business

also my contract is up for renewal on 5/2010, around the time i'd expect the 4g to come out ...[/quote79df219b4e]

Yeah only use about 4GB of my 16GB and I'm up for renewal in March so I may just hold out for the 4G too. I'd be happy with the 3GS, so the 4G + the features from the 3GS would be tight.

[quote79df219b4e="mistertomlinson"]Anybody care to guess what the iPhone 3G S will be going for on eBay shortly after the release? I was thinking about buying mine, but keeping it sealed (that is, if AT&T gives me that option. I'm not sure if in-store activation is still required) to assess the value on eBay within the first week. If the price was high enough... say, $1,000... I would gladly sell it new, buy one without a contract for $699 (I believe that's what they are without the contract) and pocket the extra ~$225 (give or take eBay/PayPal fees, shipping, taxes, upgrade fees, etc).[/quote79df219b4e]

I'm tempted to wait until the Dev-Team release a jailbreak for the 3GS and then sell that, you'd be pretty much guaranteed $1,000. In fact, looking at eBay people are spending more than $1,000 on preorder 3GSs that aren't jailbroken. Someone spent $1,175 on just an unlocked 3G.

EDIT I checked on Apple's site about pre-ordering the 3GS (to figure out the cost of buying and selling one on eBay) and they're offering to let me upgrade early, which I didn't expect, and is now very tempting, especially considering the price that some of the 16GB 3G ones are going for. What to do, what to do.

[quote79df219b4e] li $299.00li — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
li $399.00li — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
li $499.00li — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)[/quote79df219b4e]

Found this little gem if you want to buy just the phone from Apple without having to sign up for a contract with AT&T. It's not unlocked though, but looks like it works http//iphonehelp.in/2009/06/12/how-to-get-the-iphone-3gs-without-the-att-contract-from-apple/

I wish I had $700 to get it. I could take the risk of selling it on eBay before I even have it and hope I'll at least break even.[/quote79df219b4e]

Yeah, I believe the policy for current iPhone owners still within their contract is If you are still within 18 months of your contract, you get a discounted upgrade price (+ $18 upgrade fee) of $399 for the 16GB. That was the option I had as well. I believe you have to agree to another 2 year contract. If I wait till December, I would be eligible for the $199 subsidized price. Now I don't know what to do. I would love to make a grand off this bastard... but I also want the damn thing now and really don't need to be farking around with my credit card. (

theysayjump

11-06-2009 23:43:29

I can wait to actually get it so I'm fine charging my CC for it and selling it, then just paying off the CC with whatever I get for it. Then hopefully when the prices of the 3G ones go back up I'll sell it and then use the money I make form that to get the 3GS.

mistertomlinson

12-06-2009 00:25:26

[quoteb6b249f698="theysayjump"]I can wait to actually get it so I'm fine charging my CC for it and selling it, then just paying off the CC with whatever I get for it. Then hopefully when the prices of the 3G ones go back up I'll sell it and then use the money I make form that to get the 3GS.[/quoteb6b249f698]

So are you considering buying one(s) without a contract at full price or paying $399 with a two year contract and trying your luck?

theysayjump

12-06-2009 09:42:10

Both.

I think what I'll do is get the one for $699 without the contract and sell it (after it's been jailbroken) and keep my current one. Then when an unlock and jailbreak comes out for 3.0 and my baseband, I'll unlock and jailbreak, then sell that and use that money to upgrade to the 3GS, so it won't be costing me anything.

mistertomlinson

12-06-2009 19:09:35

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Just received word from the buyer that the phone worked fine!

[quote6901732019]Dear Brandon

Everything went well. My only concern was that the Post Office left the box in front of my door. I'm glad no one stole the box. But everything else is good.

I remembered not to do the update because I saw that there is no turbo sim card and I had read that in You tube. Thanks for reminding me anyway.

Thanks once again. I will be leaving positive feedback please do the same for me.

Sincerely,
Suzanne[/quote6901732019]

iPhone 3G S, here I come.

theysayjump

12-06-2009 20:31:40

Did PayPal hold your money?

As soon as my buyer bought it PayPal put a 21 day hold on it, saying it'd be taken off of hold when the buyer leaves me feedback. Same with my iPod, and both buyers have received the items and neither of them have gotten back to me OR left me feedback. (

mistertomlinson

13-06-2009 05:33:19

[quote16320b7dcb="theysayjump"]Did PayPal hold your money?

As soon as my buyer bought it PayPal put a 21 day hold on it, saying it'd be taken off of hold when the buyer leaves me feedback. Same with my iPod, and both buyers have received the items and neither of them have gotten back to me OR left me feedback. ([/quote16320b7dcb]

No. I was worried something would go wrong and she'd want a refund after I spent the money, so I held onto it until she approved everything.

But, that DID happen to me a while ago. I can't remember what it was I sold... maybe an iPod. They considered it a "high risk" item. I'm not sure why it happened only once. I would most definitely explain the situation to your buyers and ask that they leave feedback ASAP. I can remember I actually explained the situation to my buyer before the item was delivered and asked that they thoroughly check the item over and leave feedback as soon as they could. If I remember correctly, PayPal didn't release the funds immediately. I think it took another day or two.

PayPal/eBay are run by a bunch of morons. I think such measures should be reserved for sellers of certain criteria considered "questionable." Sellers no longer being able to leave negative feedback is also ridiculous. If some dumb shit wants to wait two weeks to pay me, there's nothing I can do to stop him with the threat of negative feedback no longer existing.

mistertomlinson

13-06-2009 16:19:06

Pertinent news for iPhone sellers! AT&T has already filled it's preorders, so any purchases made from AT&T from here on out will not be delivered until AFTER the 19th. This is according to Engadget and MacRumors. They don't know how Apple's stock is doing, but once they publicize word of Apple fulfilling preorder allocations, eBay prices should fuckin' skyrocket.

On another note, I bought mine this morning from Apple. It was $418 after tax (16GB) plus $18 upgrade fee, plus $18 activation fee.

mistertomlinson

21-06-2009 12:11:33

Well, it looks like reselling kinda fell through. I had kept an eye on a few auctions and prices were just barely going above what they would cost directly from AT&T/Apple, at least when I checked. So, I kept mine and I gotta say, this bitch is sick! I honestly didn't think I'd notice THAT much of a difference in speed between the 3G and 3G S... Jesus, this bitch is insanely fast. I noticed right away. Settings and Notes used to bug me when launching. Notes would take several seconds (a couple of seconds to launch, including displaying text then another couple of seconds before I could actually enter text) to get going and of course SMS, the camera... it all loads almost instantly. Need for Speed is insane on the 3G S. I used to have to respring before even playing it because it would always crash otherwise. The new hardware handles it effortlessly. The opening splash only takes 2-3 seconds and going from a race back to the garage takes about the same. During gameplay, I never noticed a single studder... it played flawlessly. The oliomorpheagical coating is the shit too. I thought it just made it easier to clean and didn't expect it to really "repel" my fingerprints, but sure enough, it does. Normally, after a long ass text, my screen will be covered in oil and a long phone call (the heat from the phone against your face can really get you sweaty) will leave plenty of gunk on the screen. With the coating, I don't even have the urge to wipe the screen, though if I needed to, it would only take one good wipe. No breathing or polishing required.

Oh, and I went with the white one this time and I definitely like it.