obama and stem cell research

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78630

akalic

28-03-2009 15:53:17

I know it's been awhile since he unbanned and since I'm doing a course in micb, I immediately thought of this. I was just wondering why republicans were so against federal funding for stem cell research anyways? And why do some people think that this method isn't a good thing..(the federal funding part)? Yeah, I just don't really understand it. anyone care to fill me in? lol

KeithA

28-03-2009 21:28:45

I think the distinction is between federal funding for embryonic vs adult stem cell research. The conservative argument is that life begins at conception, and therefore that harvesting embryonic stem cells (which destroys the embryo) is anti-life.

There is stronger empirical evidence for adult stem cells' potential for medical treatment than for embryonic stem cells, but embryonic stem cells [iaf98f755f1]theoretically[/iaf98f755f1] have more potential. Opponents of embryonic stem cell research argue that, if the evidence is stronger for adult stem cells, and embryos are human lives, why "play god" experimenting with embryos to begin with?

It's always struck me as an argument deeply rooted in the pro-life ideology. The argument against abortion has been much more successful, since you can position [iaf98f755f1]that[/iaf98f755f1] as interfering with embryonic development out of convenience or preference. When the goal is curing devastating diseases/conditions, though, you better have a damned convincing argument that embryos are people too.

dmorris68

30-03-2009 09:19:27

Yes, it's a pro-life hangup.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_controversy

akalic

30-03-2009 16:49:46

Oh yeah, I get the controversy of it. But why are people so against the federal funding of stem cell research? To my knowledge, didn't obama just lift the ban on federal funding, but not on the research itself?

ilanbg

30-03-2009 17:14:31

The research was never banned. Plus, wouldn't make much sense to fund something that can't be researched anyway.

Iloveipods2

30-03-2009 19:13:52

[quote17adc2487f="akalic"]Oh yeah, I get the controversy of it. But why are people so against the federal funding of stem cell research? To my knowledge, didn't obama just lift the ban on federal funding, but not on the research itself?[/quote17adc2487f]

That is correct. Bush banned federal funding and no more creation of stem cell lines.

There are plenty of cell lines out there though, just that cells start acting funky when becoming immortal through a cell line.