Contacts??

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78492

manOFice

26-02-2009 08:45:18

Who wears contacts?

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and they recommended a brand new technology to me called SynergEyes. It's a mix of a hard middle lense and soft outside lens. Once I started trying them in my eye they were great and then I asked how much they were... wholey shit... for 1 year supply they cost like 1000 bux. It's called a hybrid lens and they recommend it because of the bad astigmatism in my left eye. Does anyone else use these or what do you recommend?

AdrienD1892

26-02-2009 09:58:41

I wear contacts, I have a huge astigmatism and have tried both hard and soft and WOW the hards are brilliant. But they're about $200 a lense. Then again, you wear them for 2 years so they actually come out cheaper than paying $30+ per box of soft lenses.

I would say if it's $1000 a box and your insurance doesn't cover it, to ask your Dr about hard lenses if you don't like the soft. It takes some getting used to, what with glass being on your eye, but it's absolutly amazing the difference you'll be able to see.

There's also daily wear disposable lenses that are good for astigmatism if it's not too high. Sadly I'm too high ( but my Dr really likes the daily wears. You pop them in,a nd at the end of the day you pop them out and toss them away. And they're not expensive. $1000 a box is rediculous and if they're new, chances are insurance doesn't cover it

Admin

26-02-2009 12:56:39

i have acuvue for astigmatism, which are toric lenses (two different focal points in the lens). you are supposed to wear them for two weeks or so. they last about a month if you take care of them. costco has them pretty cheap. i still wear my glasses most of the time though.

Kidd

26-02-2009 13:17:14

lasik or go home

JennyWren

26-02-2009 14:06:25

I have contact lenses but I very rarely wear them, I find since I'm at my computer all the time that my eyes dry out. I'll wear them for diving but that's about it. My prescription is pretty weak though, legally I can drive without corrective lenses.

slambam

26-02-2009 16:20:42

I wear Focus Night & Day contacts. They are awesome, can sleep in them and never really notice they're there. And they work great at work where I'm in from of a computer all day. Last time I got them, 6 months worth ran me like $55 after my insurance, but I usually stretch them out for a full year. I used to have other Focus ones that I just had to take out every day don't remember the specific name. I've never had hard contacts. Lasik is in my plans for the future, and I can't wait for that either.

akalic

26-02-2009 19:17:02

[quote939849ba9e="JennyWren"]I have contact lenses but I very rarely wear them, I find since I'm at my computer all the time that my eyes dry out. I'll wear them for diving but that's about it. My prescription is pretty weak though, legally I can drive without corrective lenses.[/quote939849ba9e]

When I was getting my learners I tried to beat the vision test without my glasses so it wouldn't be on my license but I failed lol. So now I have to wear glasses while driving cry

Zags1199

26-02-2009 21:18:46

I have Acuvue Oasys and Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism. One eye doctor, trying to save me money and being honest, told me that they would last about a month if I took care of them. I had to go to another doctor when I went to college who tried convincing me to change every two weeks like it was life or death (I'm sure money had nothing to do with it |). Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter since I mostly wear my glasses since contacts only stay in my eyes for about six or so hours until they start to irritate me.

ilanbg

26-02-2009 21:52:58

Not contact-related, but eye-related my eyes don't produce enough tears and I don't blink often enough, so I have prescription eye drops that I have to use throughout the day. If I get enough sleep I might only need to use them once or twice a day but if I have a rough night then I am using those drops like 5-6 times a day.

It sucks but for some reason people think it's awesome when I say my eyes don't produce enough tears.

Also, it's almost physically impossible for me to cry. The tears thing happened when I hit puberty (my eyes just stopped producing the water part of tears—supposedly this is supposed to return to normal in my 20's but we'll see) and actually I miss crying a lot; I think in the past 5 years I've cried maybe 3 times.

TravMan162

26-02-2009 22:42:33

[quote9873ef8b6f="ilanbg"]Not contact-related, but eye-related my eyes don't produce enough tears and I don't blink often enough, so I have prescription eye drops that I have to use throughout the day. If I get enough sleep I might only need to use them once or twice a day but if I have a rough night then I am using those drops like 5-6 times a day.

It sucks but for some reason people think it's awesome when I say my eyes don't produce enough tears.

Also, it's almost physically impossible for me to cry. The tears thing happened when I hit puberty (my eyes just stopped producing the water part of tears—supposedly this is supposed to return to normal in my 20's but we'll see) and actually I miss crying a lot; I think in the past 5 years I've cried maybe 3 times.[/quote9873ef8b6f]

don't feel bad, my soul is way blacker than yours. I'm pretty sure I've cried only once since I was 13. I'm 23 now.

ajasax

27-02-2009 01:07:02

I wear contacts. They're a bitch to wear in this dry climate and especially at work with all the dust and whatnot. I wear toric soft contacts. I have bad astigmatism -(

Powers
L -7.50/-3.75x170
R -7.50/-4.25x005

I really want to get laser done and/or get updated glasses -D

mistertomlinson

27-02-2009 05:19:59

This is probably the worst advice in this thread... I switched from glasses to contacts roughly 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. I too have an astigmatism but have found the shitty national brand torics work just fine (I actually preferred them to the name brands I tried). They go by different names (I believe WalMart and Target carry them as a store brand), but mine are called BioMedics. I pay $80 for a couple of boxes (6 pairs) I can get 6 months out of... maybe longer. Sure, they can get irritating. Sometimes my eyes get red and dry (I find my poor lens cleaning habits are usually the culprit; I'm a lazy bastard), but I think it's a small price to pay. I look like a complete cornball in glasses. I wont even leave the house without my contacts.

AdrienD1892

27-02-2009 08:43:07

[quote161fcbdd5e="Kidd"]lasik or go home[/quote161fcbdd5e]

lasik is $5000 an eye if you go to reputable places. Also, some people cannot get Lasik. If you have chronic dry eye, or if your cornia is too thin

AdrienD1892

27-02-2009 08:47:29

[quotee7ff4b4c29="ilanbg"]Not contact-related, but eye-related my eyes don't produce enough tears and I don't blink often enough, so I have prescription eye drops that I have to use throughout the day. If I get enough sleep I might only need to use them once or twice a day but if I have a rough night then I am using those drops like 5-6 times a day.

Also, it's almost physically impossible for me to cry. The tears thing happened when I hit puberty (my eyes just stopped producing the water part of tears—supposedly this is supposed to return to normal in my 20's but we'll see) and actually I miss crying a lot; I think in the past 5 years I've cried maybe 3 times.[/quotee7ff4b4c29]

have you thought about soft plugs? I just had them put in my eyes and they're AMAZING. They are little acrylic gel plugs that go in your tear ducts. My Opthomologist (The eye dr with the MD) put them in my eye, medical insurance covered it. They're brilliant. You don't feel them at all, not even when he was putting them in.

I do not produce a lot of tears either and my ducts are large, so this worked perfectly

ilanbg

27-02-2009 08:58:19

[quote83668978bc="AdrienD1892"]have you thought about soft plugs? I just had them put in my eyes and they're AMAZING. They are little acrylic gel plugs that go in your tear ducts. My Opthomologist (The eye dr with the MD) put them in my eye, medical insurance covered it. They're brilliant. You don't feel them at all, not even when he was putting them in.

I do not produce a lot of tears either and my ducts are large, so this worked perfectly[/quote83668978bc]

Hm. I'll check that out.

How fragile are they? Could you take a punch to the face without fucking them or your eyes up?

manOFice

27-02-2009 09:08:03

some good info guys thanks, i'll look over my options

AdrienD1892

27-02-2009 10:23:18

[quoteae689287d2="ilanbg"]How fragile are they? Could you take a punch to the face without fucking them or your eyes up?[/quoteae689287d2]

Yes. They're inside the tear ducts completely. They go in the little hole on the inside of your eyelid. There ae two ducts on your upper lid too, that if you really don't produce tears they should put some in there too. They don't fall out or disolve or anything. They're called Smartplugs http//www.edinburgh-eyetests.co.uk/SmartPlug.htm

The video makes it look like it would be painful, but it's not. I didn't even feel it.

mistertomlinson

27-02-2009 19:24:13

[quotea020561d99="AdrienD1892"][quotea020561d99="ilanbg"]How fragile are they? Could you take a punch to the face without fucking them or your eyes up?[/quotea020561d99]

Yes. They're inside the tear ducts completely. They go in the little hole on the inside of your eyelid. There ae two ducts on your upper lid too, that if you really don't produce tears they should put some in there too. They don't fall out or disolve or anything. They're called Smartplugs http//www.edinburgh-eyetests.co.uk/SmartPlug.htm

The video makes it look like it would be painful, but it's not. I didn't even feel it.[/quotea020561d99]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That was fuckin' nasty!

ilanbg

27-02-2009 21:39:49

[quotec631932425="AdrienD1892"][quotec631932425="ilanbg"]How fragile are they? Could you take a punch to the face without fucking them or your eyes up?[/quotec631932425]

The video makes it look like it would be painful, but it's not. I didn't even feel it.[/quotec631932425]

Dude. That looked fucking [ic631932425]awesome[/ic631932425].

I'll look into that as soon as I get back home, in a couple weeks. So cool.

DRay9911

01-03-2009 09:14:33

you should go to lee feldstein...$12 bucks

/family guy'd

-dan

[quoteab81b932cd="AdrienD1892"][quoteab81b932cd="Kidd"]lasik or go home[/quoteab81b932cd]

lasik is $5000 an eye if you go to reputable places. Also, some people cannot get Lasik. If you have chronic dry eye, or if your cornia is too thin[/quoteab81b932cd]