MBA?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=78272

JennyWren

21-01-2009 00:26:08

Has anyone done one? The thought randomly went through my mind today. I have a B.Mus (Composition) and a B.Sc (Computer Science) and I'm very interested in web marketing; I'd like to do research on how one can influence the behaviour of a website visitor through design, usability, flow of layout and application, etc.

akalic

21-01-2009 01:55:15

Oh sweet, you have a b.mus? that's so baller..

I have a close friend of mine pursuing hers too. What's the job prospect or options after gradd'ing?

on a side note, she told me she wanted to buy a 31,000$ violin...

crazy.

JennyWren

21-01-2009 04:01:36

The job prospects were non existent, hence the B.Sc.

If I'd wanted to play professionally, I would have had to shell out about $30-45K for a non-student model bassoon. Wasn't gonna happen, also I was never really into performing. Unfortunately, no-one will pay you to write music (I was a composer).

doylnea

21-01-2009 08:51:49

Why do you want a MBA, and how would it benefit you and your career? Any degree is cost intensive, and I believe that unless you can clearly articulate why you want the degree, and specifically how earning the degree, and not just working during that time, can help you, it's not the right time now. That's not to say that you can't go in the future, but going to grad school just to go is a bad idea, IMO.

dmorris68

21-01-2009 11:18:51

Yeah, there are some specific jobs or fields that benefit from an MBA/graduate degree right off the bat -- Education and executive management come to mind -- but most fields generally don't. Since you're talking about technology (web design), I can say that in my experience, graduate degrees mean little to nothing, and are not good investments early on. When you've worked your way up from the trenches and into lower/middle management, that's when most people in this field start looking at MBA's and such.

If the advanced degree is not going to start providing an immediate ROI, I would wait. Candidates that I interview and hire, and those that I see come though, get nothing more than a passing nod on their advanced degrees. Even a BA/BS is nothing more really than a "foot-in-the-door" qualification that satisfies an HR checkbox on a form -- the managers on the ground could pretty much care less if you even have a degree, we're more interested in experience, capability, attitude, etc. We have some PhD's that earn less than some with NO degree whatsoever. And one of my worst, least-efficient coders -- and the only one I've ever had to fire in the 15 years I've worked here -- was a double-Masters.

akalic

21-01-2009 16:39:18

what do you do dmo?

theysayjump

21-01-2009 18:37:06

[quoteee76de19a9="akalic"]what do you do dmo?[/quoteee76de19a9]

He works for FiPG and Admin.

You think we just hire new staff members without a rigorous screening process and obstacle course?

akalic

21-01-2009 19:21:11

[quotef505bdaf88="theysayjump"][quotef505bdaf88="akalic"]what do you do dmo?[/quotef505bdaf88]

He works for FiPG and Admin.

You think we just hire new staff members without a rigorous screening process and obstacle course?[/quotef505bdaf88]

http//meow.catsplz.com/cats/pictures/234/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg[" alt=""/imgf505bdaf88]

nobody2000

25-01-2009 20:27:27

MBA is the so-called universal degree. You will be very marketable.

You can't do much harm getting an MBA. Most programs will accept you OVER a business major because they look for academic diversity in programs.

Web marketing is HIGHLY discussed in any marketing class. It's cheap, constantly changing, and highly effective. You will learn a lot about an MBA program in marketing.

Pick your concentration wisely. Some schools even offer cyber-marketing concentrations. Do your research, and you'll find something good.

Cost is always an issue. See if you can find an accellerated MBA and maybe you can put off your career for a year. Most accellerated MBA programs go from May to May (i.e. May 2009 to May 2010) with few breaks in between. The cost is less than a 2 year program, but slightly more than one year's worth of tuition.

My advice? Get a job, and have them pay for your MBA. Talk to a company's marketing department and see if you can get a job being a lowly marketing web programmer. Express interest in going into management and Business administration (IN THE INTERVIEW or before), and see if they'll put you through a program.

When you come out of the program you'll get a sweet promotion (not super great, but you won't be any more in debt than you were before), and you'll be the boss.

Try it out. You might not get super rich (like a banker, but they're done getting rich for now), but you'll definitely have good potential. $75k / year + bonus isn't uncommon for a noob MBA. Plus, if you don't love what you're doing, and you quit or god forbid, get laid off or fired, you have a marketable degree...you can get another job.

tylerc

25-01-2009 21:15:23

I'm definitely looking into getting my MBA [b4e05c0adfb]before[/b4e05c0adfb] I graduate. My dad said it's really hard to quit your job, especially if it pays well, to go back to school and get another degree, so he recommends getting it while in school. Kelley offers a 3/2 MBA program with concentrations in Accounting or Finance for the MBA. It's a very exclusive, hardcore program, but the average starting salaries for most fields are $85,000 + a bonus of at least $5-10k.

Gigante

26-01-2009 20:43:26

[quote46c8d5ba41="tylerc"]I'm definitely looking into getting my MBA [b46c8d5ba41]before[/b46c8d5ba41] I graduate. My dad said it's really hard to quit your job, especially if it pays well, to go back to school and get another degree, so he recommends getting it while in school. Kelley offers a 3/2 MBA program with concentrations in Accounting or Finance for the MBA. It's a very exclusive, hardcore program, but the average starting salaries for most fields are $85,000 + a bonus of at least $5-10k.[/quote46c8d5ba41]

An MBA doesn't really help for accounting, not sure why they would have an accounting concentration. There's a reason they don't offer tuition assistance for it. Masters in Accounting (MACC) is really only useful if you don't have enough units for the CPA exam or are looking to get extensive tax knowledge to work in Tax. Don't expect any additional return with a graduate degree in accounting (about $5k difference between undergrad hire and a hire with a masters in accounting).

tylerc

26-01-2009 20:48:55

http//www.kelley.iu.edu/gap/mba/

It also provides you with 150 hours to sit for the exam, as well as an exclusive CPA exam review course after graduation. Those that want to work in tax often get the MSA (Masters of Science in Accounting) here.

Gigante

27-01-2009 18:40:49

[quote9f5c622d2a="tylerc"]http//www.kelley.iu.edu/gap/mba/

It also provides you with 150 hours to sit for the exam, as well as an exclusive CPA exam review course after graduation. Those that want to work in tax often get the MSA (Masters of Science in Accounting) here.[/quote9f5c622d2a]

It's worth it if you won't have the units otherwise, but if you complete the 150 in undergrad it's much cheaper (both in actual and opportunity cost) to purchase a great review program (or have it paid for by employer) and do that.