Summer Internships

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77987

Powerbook

08-12-2008 14:29:32

Any of you going to have internships this summer? I am having a very hard time getting an internship. After all my interviews, all of them say they want someone for about 1 year or a co-op not a traditional internship. I can see that this economy is obviously having a toll on jobs in general, but anyone have any luck? Some people I know just use their connects, unfortunately my parents are just middle class people, and I do not have these connections. Sure is hard getting a finance or business related internship. I have an interview with a congressman for a summer internship coming up, hope that goes well. It is unpaid, but I have always been intrigued with government work so I do not mind.

tylerc

08-12-2008 15:33:09

I've been told at IU that most major employers want people that have completed their junior year of course work for internships. That said, there ARE some internships available for sophomores, but they're harder to find as it is, and even more so in this economy.

Twon

08-12-2008 15:47:48

Is it a requirement of your program Power?

ilanbg

08-12-2008 16:22:06

I applied to about 5 internships for the summer. Won't hear back about it until March.

Most excited about my application to the DoS. If I'm lucky I may even get sent abroad to work in an embassy...

Thankfully, I don't think the economic problems will reach international affairs until next year, in terms of internships. They still need interns, but it won't be until next year that they are flooded with applications once people this year realize it's their only option.

Powerbook

08-12-2008 16:57:07

Na, just want some work experience in about 2 different fields I am thinking of pursing. I have sophomore/junior standing, it's kind of complicated. I may finish my requirements next year and go to law school fall 2010. I had about 5 interviews I think, and all of them went well and they made it sound like I was hired. Hmm, oh well. One more left, and I will try to keep applying.

hehehhehe

08-12-2008 19:33:07

Can you get into a good law school without work experience (not internships, but at least a year after graduating)?

Powerbook

09-12-2008 07:06:59

[quote8d9b49eac0="hehehhehe"]Can you get into a good law school without work experience (not internships, but at least a year after graduating)?[/quote8d9b49eac0]

Yeah, I will still get into law school no matter what. I am just trying to see if it is for me, and if maybe something else would better suit me. My friend just got a $37 an hour internship with a hedge fund. What a damn bastard lol. Connections are king.

ilanbg

09-12-2008 08:14:42

You could try to get an internship for like Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, or one of those other failing mortgage companies...

I've been getting emails for internships to those ever since the collapse, it's hilarious.

shurg

hehehhehe

09-12-2008 16:07:39

[quote5a64b5320b="Powerbook"][quote5a64b5320b="hehehhehe"]Can you get into a good law school without work experience (not internships, but at least a year after graduating)?[/quote5a64b5320b]

Yeah, I will still get into law school no matter what. I am just trying to see if it is for me, and if maybe something else would better suit me. My friend just got a $37 an hour internship with a hedge fund. What a damn bastard lol. Connections are king.[/quote5a64b5320b]
I wasn't asking if you'd get into one (as in "can't you get into one?), I was asking if you can get into a GOOD law school without having any work experience, as in right after under-grad. I thought you couldn't.

Powerbook

09-12-2008 16:14:39

[quotec6cefa14e6="hehehhehe"][quotec6cefa14e6="Powerbook"][quotec6cefa14e6="hehehhehe"]Can you get into a good law school without work experience (not internships, but at least a year after graduating)?[/quotec6cefa14e6]

Yeah, I will still get into law school no matter what. I am just trying to see if it is for me, and if maybe something else would better suit me. My friend just got a $37 an hour internship with a hedge fund. What a damn bastard lol. Connections are king.[/quotec6cefa14e6]
I wasn't asking if you'd get into one (as in "can't you get into one?), I was asking if you can get into a GOOD law school without having any work experience, as in right after under-grad. I thought you couldn't.[/quotec6cefa14e6]

Yeah you can. Law school is pretty much LSAT and GPA. Business school tends to be more work related. Among law schools, Northwestern tends to love work experience. Others like Harvard law, GPA and LSAT are king.

Powerbook

15-12-2008 11:18:13

Well, I actually just landed an internship with a United States Congressman. So, it all worked out in the end after a long and hard pursuit. D

Twon

15-12-2008 11:32:54

Good for you!

Powerbook

15-12-2008 11:34:48

Yeah, I am excited. I can't wait to start it this summer.

ilanbg

16-12-2008 11:16:16

[quote6a41a3dc84="Powerbook"]Well, I actually just landed an internship with a United States Congressman. So, it all worked out in the end after a long and hard pursuit. D[/quote6a41a3dc84]

Which Congressman?

Powerbook

16-12-2008 11:42:39

Congressman Courtney from CT