Low Traffic On FreeiPod

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77799

Jobstane

12-11-2008 19:59:19

Hello everyone, just trying to find out why this forum has lower traffic than other forums. When I was a trader I use to get more referrals from here. It seems when I become a site owner I saw alot less traffic here. Can anyone tell me why?

TravMan162

12-11-2008 20:08:50

Cuz there's more supply than demand.

ESMcCready

12-11-2008 21:40:42

I still blame PPD

zr2152

12-11-2008 21:50:18

[quoteaa39af5526="ESMcCready"]I still blame PPD[/quoteaa39af5526]

Yeah....F PPD.

Jobstane

12-11-2008 21:50:23

Then why do sites likes like flr get so much more traffic. Even their discussions have more traffic.

TravMan162

12-11-2008 22:14:04

I heard FLR bans you for being horny.

That's the word around the water cooler

theysayjump

12-11-2008 22:29:48

We've said many many times before that we have ideas for the site, things to do or change to make it a better place for everyone, but we just don't have the manpower/time to get it done.

The only person on our staff who can do the things we want done is David, and if he had the time to do them he would, but we're all busy with our own things.

I guess (if it hasn't already) that we're just going to become a site with a handful of regulars who are just here to shoot the shit with other people on the forum, and then eventually Admin might just cut it loose.

It sucks, but it's the reality of it.

TravMan162

12-11-2008 22:35:46

[quoteb147f64442="theysayjump"]We've said many many times before that we have ideas for the site, things to do or change to make it a better place for everyone, but we just don't have the manpower/time to get it done.

The only person on our staff who can do the things we want done is David, and if he had the time to do them he would, but we're all busy with our own things.

I guess (if it hasn't already) that we're just going to become a site with a handful of regulars who are just here to shoot the shit with other people on the forum, and then eventually Admin might just cut it loose.

It sucks, but it's the reality of it.[/quoteb147f64442]

does this place cost money to run? I know there are no advertisements on the site, but alternately, I also know it's a huge site, so I can't figure out what it actually costs to run.

I know that if it came down to what TSJ said, I would be willing to throw down a few bucks every month to keep it going if it came down to it. I think a lot of us have done a good deal of bonding and it would be sad to see all that gone if it came down to a money thing that we could all share equally.

JennyWren

13-11-2008 00:43:15

I'd pay just to keep dmorris's knowledge accessible.

hehehhehe

13-11-2008 04:46:04

Also, don't forget that FLR has a bunch of stay at home moms while most of us have jobs or classes to go to and don't have as much time to chit chat. I've heard even they have less trading going on now so a lot of traffic doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot of trading going on.

dmorris68

13-11-2008 05:17:58

This industry has always been cyclical and fickle, we've gone through dry spells before. I think with the economy and other issues going on, and the fact FiPG has more "competition" than we used to, it's inevitable that the tides shift. But as far as I know, we're not going anywhere.

Cost to run the forum? Yes, there are server/hosting costs, but the FiPG server is an old server in the same rack as the FusionCash servers, so it's not as expensive as it would be if it were hosted on its own somewhere. If FC were to take a dive and Admin pulled that plug, he might shut us down or he might allow us scramble to become self-supporting if the membership and staff wanted to keep it alive. And of course the staff spends a lot of their own time keeping the place going, so that "cost" is also to be considered.

Speaking of, yes, I've been involved in a lot of other stuff lately, so I've not been able to follow through on implementing a lot of the ideas we have. Sorry. I've not written things off entirely, they're just postponed until I can devote the time again. I still check in and post most every day, but just haven't had the opportunity to sit down and focus on FiPG stuff for hours on end. I'm not walking away from things, I've just got to get through some other things that are going on, and when I do have free time, I've got other hobbies and interests that I try to enjoy.

So bear with us. It's a tough time for almost any business right now, so I'm not surprised that traffic is down across the board. Things are cyclical though, and will most likely bounce back over the next year.

ilanbg

13-11-2008 10:28:46

How does everyone think the economy will effect the freebie business?

I can see a lot of people getting involved with it as a way of making some extra cash, but at the same time I assume most businesses are going to be cutting marketing costs and won't be as likely to pay for offers completed.

Jobstane

13-11-2008 23:52:20

Thats not 100% truth. With people needing to sell more they might be more open to pay per action marketing. If they are going to spend $50,000, why not do it while getting new clients instead of hoping someone signs up.

TryinToGetPaid

14-11-2008 06:41:52

This website is not the website you should count on for new users. In fact, none of the forums are. Forum users = the worst users.

Jobstane

14-11-2008 10:31:57

If that is true what do you think is the best place to get newbies. I have great success with forums; both when I was a trader and now as an owner.

[quote88f4400d7b="TryinToGetPaid"]This website is not the website you should count on for new users. In fact, none of the forums are. Forum users = the worst users.[/quote88f4400d7b]

zr2152

14-11-2008 10:52:15

[quote31f2edb0fb="Jobstane"]If that is true what do you think is the best place to get newbies. I have great success with forums; both when I was a trader and now as an owner.

[quote31f2edb0fb="TryinToGetPaid"]This website is not the website you should count on for new users. In fact, none of the forums are. Forum users = the worst users.[/quote31f2edb0fb][/quote31f2edb0fb]

You need to advertise outside of the forums and possibly even the internet.

Jobstane

14-11-2008 11:17:42

So what I'm trying to figure out is a good way of advertising outside of forums. Most of my business comes from within the forums.

TFOAF

14-11-2008 11:21:38

Google AdWords.

KeithA

14-11-2008 12:06:31

[quoted563c254b2="TFOAF"]Google AdWords.[/quoted563c254b2]

- Pay college kids thru Craigslist to flier their schools, laundromats, etc.
- Cheapo ads in the back of local newspapers
- Youtube vids...but be careful not to walk anybody through
- Start a blog or a newsletter
- Run contests and promotions in partnership with blogs and newsletters (but not ones focused on gaming the freebie system)

YourGiftsFree

15-11-2008 08:53:35

The economy is affecting the incentivized business. I know some advertisers are less willing to pay for leads from incentivized websites due to the risk nature, especially in the economy we are in now.

ESMcCready

22-11-2008 08:10:33

Yea, recesssion = baddest. Even companies like Wal-Mart have backed off from spending too much. My local 24/7 only hired 15 new people for the holiday season...last year...they hired 50+ people to keep things running.

EVERYONE is going to get hit hard but I don't think the freebie area will get hit as hard as others. In fact, I predict a slight surge of new users looking for that extra cash but you aren't going to find them on the forums.

Advertising in new papers and through search engines and stuff is the way to be right now...always has been really.

23deuce23

22-11-2008 13:40:50

I think it's a bunch of possible reasons added together but it's not as dead as some other freebie forums that I've seen.

unknown uchiha

22-11-2008 17:54:03

The industry is not as vibrant as it once was. Before Project PayDay, it thrived with low-cost referrals and people who actually followed the TR rule (you know, like if I had more TR you would have to pay first? Nobody follows that anymore). Ever since the boom that Project PayDay started we've seen an influx of individuals who, if it weren't for PPD, wouldn't have discovered this before.

At first, it was a huge rush of people who were eager to do sites for PayPal. Now, everyone is attempting to finish every single last damn site they started and the price of referrals has inflated to a mere $10-15 profit margin that it's no longer worth it.

As far as I'm concerned, DIY is the only way to go now. Low cost, high maintenance, long timeline but huge results.

manOFice

22-11-2008 19:00:17

[quoteb0f3b7cad5="unknown uchiha"]The industry is not as vibrant as it once was. Before Project PayDay, it thrived with low-cost referrals and people who actually followed the TR rule (you know, like if I had more TR you would have to pay first? Nobody follows that anymore). Ever since the boom that Project PayDay started we've seen an influx of individuals who, if it weren't for PPD, wouldn't have discovered this before.

At first, it was a huge rush of people who were eager to do sites for PayPal. Now, everyone is attempting to finish every single last damn site they started and the price of referrals has inflated to a mere $10-15 profit margin that it's no longer worth it.

As far as I'm concerned, DIY is the only way to go now. Low cost, high maintenance, long timeline but huge results.[/quoteb0f3b7cad5]

It used to be really fun trading

Jobstane

23-11-2008 13:32:10

Well the thing is if we can see what the problem is we can reverse it. Truthfully if there is a way to regulate it and have these things reversed it could help the industry.

CollidgeGraduit

23-11-2008 13:51:59

A free market regulates itself. People charge what they charge because they can get people to pay it.

mookieb2

24-11-2008 08:31:00

I still get trades, not as many, but I'm about to finish another site in the next week.

I wish it were better but, its all a bonus anyway.

phriq

26-11-2008 07:23:04

I actually just frequent this for the off-topic and tech discussions. I used to try to trade, but its become far to much of a chore and I would rather just pay the money instead of wasting hours after hours of my life trying to find reliable people to trade with.

Requiem

26-11-2008 07:27:23

The offers have even diminished in value, and the referral requirements are ridiculous. It's so hard nowadays, maybe that's why so many people aren't into it anymore.

TravMan162

26-11-2008 08:08:39

I'm just throwing this out there, but if it ever gets to the point where admin doesn't want to deal with whatever expense it costs to run this joint, would you guys ever consider advertising?

I mean, even on sites like Myspace, I don't find banner ads to be all that obtrusive and they have to pay pretty decent for being posted on a reasonably high traffic site such as this, no?

I'm sure you've already discussed this, but I was just curious what you thought about it.

TryinToGetPaid

26-11-2008 10:02:37

Small sites thrive on forums. Without the forums, most of these sites wouldnt be around.

topbillin1

08-12-2008 20:20:19

[quote11f0a91318="Requiem"]The offers have even diminished in value, and the referral requirements are ridiculous. It's so hard nowadays, maybe that's why so many people aren't into it anymore.[/quote11f0a91318]

Yep cry

I've seen many sites now offering full credit and 1 offer only at $30 bucks a ref, most of the offers are at least 5 bucks, half of the offers are PWW and most people are paying 20 bucks, so they only make 10 bucks....

and have to go through all that work.

Trading just ain't worth it,

Admin

09-12-2008 17:00:22

[quote1c82ff3cac="TravMan162"]I'm just throwing this out there, but if it ever gets to the point where admin doesn't want to deal with whatever expense it costs to run this joint, would you guys ever consider advertising?

I mean, even on sites like Myspace, I don't find banner ads to be all that obtrusive and they have to pay pretty decent for being posted on a reasonably high traffic site such as this, no?

I'm sure you've already discussed this, but I was just curious what you thought about it.[/quote1c82ff3cac]

because fipg is old and patched up code, and not particularly efficient, it needs a fair amount of resources to run. when i had it on a (rather powerful) shared server, i was asked to move because of resource hogging. so fipg lives on its own dedicated amd 2000+ 1U scsi system that used to be the home of fusioncash. the cost of colocating that box is unlikely to be covered by any amount of traditional advertising, although the fusioncash banner above usually makes that much for me.

the other problem is that i'm getting a pretty good deal, as well as a big multi-server discount, for having fusioncash colocated with the same company. if something happened and y'all had to move it, you would probably have to find a new colo host because mine isn't signing new customers anymore.

so in short, you guys better hope that i don't have to pull the plug, because that'd probably be the end of it )

Twon

09-12-2008 17:08:06

Please don't pull the plug.

ilanbg

09-12-2008 17:30:34

I was going to photoshop a Terry Schiavo picture and add a "FreeiPodGuide" label to it but was too lazy.

EDIT But if FIG goes down we can always go to TravMan162.blogspot.com.

Admin

12-12-2008 00:44:38

[quote21c87f5fa2="ilanbg"]TravMan162.blogspot.com.[/quote21c87f5fa2]bookmarked