Would like some opinions...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77751

ilikegreens

08-11-2008 11:26:27

Hi, I have been thinking lately about starting an online site for selling goods, or products. I know its hard to start from scratch, but to be honest I dont know of anything to sell. I was wondering if anyone knows of any product that is currently greatly wanted and is cheap to buy in bulk. I would start slow and have a few different kinds of whatever item, and once the site is known, add more options and products. This is very out of the blue, but the freebie buisness isn't getting me anywhere far very fast. This could maybe speed profits up. Suggestions are very very welcome below.

TravMan162

08-11-2008 22:56:07

I promise you, you are going to waste your time with this. You have no idea what you want to sell which means the creativity of your site/business is nil and there is absolutely no way you will be able to compete with the big guys. May I suggest a part time job at Staples?

ESMcCready

09-11-2008 07:53:27

[quotea2fa4eb7c0="TravMan162"]I promise you, you are going to waste your time with this. You have no idea what you want to sell which means the creativity of your site/business is nil and there is absolutely no way you will be able to compete with the big guys. May I suggest a part time job at Staples?[/quotea2fa4eb7c0]

Geh Trav, you are so encouraging.

Greens, once you get an idea of what you want to sell, make sure you put some creativity into it. You're also going to need ALOT of startup money to divide between someone designing your website, hosting, upkeep, adverisement, and samples.

Right now, it doesn't seem like anything is really selling too quickly because of the recession going on. I, personally, wouldn't suggest you even think about starting up a business right now to try to get a salary from it.

Any online business you build from scratch usually takes 2 years before its in the green AKA making a profit. You ARE going to need a job though while you work on getting things off the ground. You're going to go in the red before you go in the positive.

I would suggest you look into getting into the herbal business or offering a service like classified ads or SEO-ing.

hehehhehe

09-11-2008 08:31:55

I agree with travman. Someone posts here asking what would be good to sell these days and doesn't seem to have done any homework whatsoever. Why don't we also type up a business plan for you? IMO entrepreneurship isn't about asking random people online about what they should do/sell. If someone did have a great idea for a business, why would they give it to you?

Your first mistake is considering freebies a "business." It's not.

ilikegreens

09-11-2008 09:58:10

[quote8c9604811e="hehehhehe"]I agree with travman. Someone posts here asking what would be good to sell these days and doesn't seem to have done any homework whatsoever. Why don't we also type up a business plan for you? IMO entrepreneurship isn't about asking random people online about what they should do/sell. If someone did have a great idea for a business, why would they give it to you?

Your first mistake is considering freebies a "business." It's not.[/quote8c9604811e]

Thats always true. Well... when I meant buisness I was just referring to the freebie I guess you would say "industry"? anyways... its not doing to hot for me. I guess Ill not plan on any website then after everyone's advice. Thanks guys.

akalic

09-11-2008 13:49:03

well that was easy lol

ajasax

09-11-2008 17:53:59

I know. If a couple people on an internet forum can sway his decision so easily I doubt he had the motivation to run an online business in the first place.

akalic

10-11-2008 01:33:29

bingo

ilikegreens

10-11-2008 11:36:44

[quote09e8ed46ae="ajasax"]I know. If a couple people on an internet forum can sway his decision so easily I doubt he had the motivation to run an online business in the first place.[/quote09e8ed46ae]

Well... I wasn't like determined to start anything, I really just wanted to know if theres any product out there that is kind of easy to start selling and start something up. More a question than "what should I sell" I was thinking of doing it, not sure if I should. And you guys gave me an answer, simple as that. I think you guys know what your talking about and wouldn't like to be another dot com buisness that failed.

ilanbg

10-11-2008 14:19:40

Read 4 Hour Work Week[=http//www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307353133]4 Hour Work Week, it basically walks you through the steps of setting up an online business.

If nothing else, it's a great place to get ideas.

Jobstane

12-11-2008 20:04:07

I don't agree with the statement that the freebie is not a business. I know alot of my traders do this and make good money. For some it might not be good business but for others there is great profit in the freebie world.

[quote36e492828e="hehehhehe"]I agree with travman. Someone posts here asking what would be good to sell these days and doesn't seem to have done any homework whatsoever. Why don't we also type up a business plan for you? IMO entrepreneurship isn't about asking random people online about what they should do/sell. If someone did have a great idea for a business, why would they give it to you?

Your first mistake is considering freebies a "business." It's not.[/quote36e492828e]

TravMan162

12-11-2008 20:15:49

Freebies can't be considered a business. Aside from the owners of more reputable sites like TRAINN, you absolutely can not consider this a business. This (for most people) should not be considered more than an extra source of income.

I'm even hesitant to call it income. If you're counting on freebies for more than an occasional few bucks here and there, (or I shudder to think that anyone actually RELIES on freebies to pay bills) then you could be setting yourself up for huge trouble if the "business" gets in any worse shape than it is now.

cubbieco

13-11-2008 09:30:00

I know I'm beating the dead horse here but start with the product. Can you make anything? Can you get anything cheaper then everybody else? Do you have any relatives that make things? If the answer is no then you're just a victim of an online scam waiting to happen.

My cubicle buddy here at work makes quilts in the evenings and does a good job of it. She's designing her web site and getting it started. Word of mouth has already gotten her 10 quilts orders which is a good start. If you have something like that then go with it.

golieth

18-11-2008 16:35:12

[quoteab6d2283f8="ilanbg"]Read 4 Hour Work Week[=http//www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307353133]4 Hour Work Week, it basically walks you through the steps of setting up an online business.

If nothing else, it's a great place to get ideas.[/quoteab6d2283f8]

I agree, that's the best book I've read in a long time.