Newwwwwwwwwwwww MacBook Pros!!!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77597

unknown uchiha

14-10-2008 19:27:45

http//www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Thoughts? I think it's damn hot.

ilanbg

14-10-2008 20:03:41

I'm way confused here. Read the description of the design and count how many times it refers to the engineering used to create it.

"We used lasers, microscopes, blah blah blah." At first glance it seems impressive until you realize it's not really that revolutionary. A few interesting key features but this is the first time Apple has had to bank on describing the [i5ffc2757bc]process[/i5ffc2757bc], as if it mattered; the product doesn't really speak for itself.

Then again, maybe it's subtle improvements that are going to change how we use laptops. Dunno.

EDIT The only thing I'm excited about here is the improved mouse pad. Took a bit of getting used to to use use the original Macbook mouse pads but now I miss them every time I'm away from them. I think these new 'pads will treated the same way, once we adjust to them.

unknown uchiha

14-10-2008 20:06:41

lol. I want the 15.4' Pro. For $1999 (plus tax) though... I kind of need to have that kind of money freely available to me at first.

tjwor

14-10-2008 22:52:33

if I hadn't paid my tuition today, i'd just quit college and bought a MBP...

Berky34

14-10-2008 22:55:29

I really want an apple computer. Both of my roommates have them and they just seem so much easier and convenient for college. everything just works easier. I'm going to look into getting one of these

DRay9911

15-10-2008 04:09:31

here's gizmodo's live blog on the event

http//live.gizmodo.com/page/9/
(page 9 is the first page, click 'newer posts' to continue)

this is why the use of engineers is important

[quote76205f2a77]Instead of starting with a thin piece of aluminum and adding more pieces to the structure, they’re now going to start from one piece of aluminum and remove pieces. This makes the structure stronger and more rigid.

They’re showing gigantic sheets of aluminum that they carve the body from. It starts with a solid “block” of aluminum, and outputs long strips which then get cut and carved into the MacBooks.[/quote76205f2a77]

-dan

[quote76205f2a77="ilanbg"]I'm way confused here. Read the description of the design and count how many times it refers to the engineering used to create it.

"We used lasers, microscopes, blah blah blah." At first glance it seems impressive until you realize it's not really that revolutionary. A few interesting key features but this is the first time Apple has had to bank on describing the [i76205f2a77]process[/i76205f2a77], as if it mattered; the product doesn't really speak for itself.

Then again, maybe it's subtle improvements that are going to change how we use laptops. Dunno.

EDIT The only thing I'm excited about here is the improved mouse pad. Took a bit of getting used to to use use the original Macbook mouse pads but now I miss them every time I'm away from them. I think these new 'pads will treated the same way, once we adjust to them.[/quote76205f2a77]

KeithA

15-10-2008 06:53:18

My ladyfriend is getting the entry-level model (I think) Friday. I'll share my impressions next week if I can pry it out of her soft, tender hands.

mistertomlinson

15-10-2008 15:19:19

The October 14th release date leaked about a month ago and my 17" MBP was on eBay as soon as I heard about it (I got $2,300 for it)... but I was reeeeeally hoping for blu ray. Besides, the 17" case wasn't even updated. So, it looks like I'll be sitting on this money for a while. If they ever just release a damn 17" MacBook Pro with blu ray, I can die happy.

EatChex89

15-10-2008 16:44:14

the new process of creating the laptops is actually more costly but ensure that the aluminum will retain its shape and will be harder to dent or break.

unknown uchiha

16-10-2008 00:08:28

[quote0814ae3b87="mistertomlinson"]The October 14th release date leaked about a month ago and my 17" MBP was on eBay as soon as I heard about it (I got $2,300 for it)... but I was reeeeeally hoping for blu ray. Besides, the 17" case wasn't even updated. So, it looks like I'll be sitting on this money for a while. If they ever just release a damn 17" MacBook Pro with blu ray, I can die happy.[/quote0814ae3b87]

According to Jobs, Blu-Ray is a "bag of hurt".
http//www.tuaw.com/2008/10/15/a-big-bag-of-blu-ray-hurt-for-apple/

akalic

16-10-2008 01:52:27

wasn't there a low priced one to be released?

mistertomlinson

16-10-2008 05:39:15

[quote7906ea74e7="akalic"]wasn't there a low priced one to be released?[/quote7906ea74e7]

That was based on a list of SKUs that had leaked earlier. The list didn't specify names, only numbers and prices. People had suspected the lowest price on the list to be a cheap notebook. It turns out, it was a new cinema display.

JKirk

17-10-2008 06:14:22

I kind of want to get the new Macbook and then sell my MBP. I know I can get around $1300 for it to cover it completely.

How does the Migration Assistant work? Two things that I wonder if they can be transferred chat logs and emails. I want both of them to show up in their respective programs. (Thunderbird and iChat) Would this be possible?

ilanbg

17-10-2008 10:03:48

Kirk MA worked perfectly for me when I tried it, I had an exact duplicate of my old computer on my new Macbook. Not sure if it matters that the models were the same; but in this case I'm relatively sure that things like chat logs and emails will still be intact.

And if not, you can find out where each program stores their logs and save them yourself. Shouldn't be too hard.

JKirk

17-10-2008 12:28:37

[quote6581de277d="ilanbg"]Kirk MA worked perfectly for me when I tried it, I had an exact duplicate of my old computer on my new Macbook. Not sure if it matters that the models were the same; but in this case I'm relatively sure that things like chat logs and emails will still be intact.

And if not, you can find out where each program stores their logs and save them yourself. Shouldn't be too hard.[/quote6581de277d]

Oh, cool, so everything was the exact same? That's pretty awesome, thanks for telling me that, man. What method did you use to migrate? USB?

The MBP I have now is getting a bit cumbersome as far as weight. (I know I'm a wimp, but hey I have to have some reasoning behind purchasing a new Apple product, don't I?)

ilanbg

17-10-2008 13:11:45

I backed everything up to an external HD and then transferred it back (I was sending the first MB away before I'd get the new one). In all honesty the MA kicked in on its own and sort of surprised me; I was prepared to move everything over manually. Not sure what I did to active it but I'm sure that's easy to figure out.

But yeah man, every setting was exactly identical, it was perfect.