Workout and beer

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77479

TravMan162

30-09-2008 15:06:17

So, this might be a bad idea, but i've been drinking before and during my workout and I've been putting up wayyyyyy more weight. I think the buzz might delay your muscle's response to when they should fail and allow you to continue your set whereas when sober you would fail quicker.

I could be wrong, but as soon as I started lifting with a buzz on, I repped the shit out of 200lbs on the flat bench (which is awesome for me cuz I have a really weak bench) and I don't get nearly as fatigued or tired as usual.

This is most likely going to end very badly, but i figured I'd share.

EatChex89

30-09-2008 15:46:33

How about creatine?

J4320

30-09-2008 16:08:09

My friend tried running with me after some beer. Surprisingly he managed very well.

ilanbg

30-09-2008 17:03:50

Alcohol does manage to prevent your nervous system from knowing when to stop. When I was drunk I've busted out 50 pushups in a minute, and on another occasion pulled off 30 pullups on a doorframe.

But alcohol is way bad for your physique. Prevents the absorption of protein, inhibits production of HGH, dehydrates you, and prevents you from knowing your own limits, among other things. Not a recommended strategy.

[quotec46c1babba]How about creatine?[/quotec46c1babba]

Not sure if this was sarcastic, but creatine essentially 'forces' water into your muscles. Unless you want to dehydrate yourself and trash your kidneys, you need to drink at least 3-4 times more water to supplement this. I only tried creatine once, before I found out about this, and almost puked before I even made it to the gym. Haven't tried it since but I'm starting to plateau so I might give it another try.

TravMan162

30-09-2008 18:23:35

[quote3e558542f9="ilanbg"]But alcohol is way bad for your physique. Prevents the absorption of protein, inhibits production of HGH, dehydrates you, and prevents you from knowing your own limits, among other things. Not a recommended strategy.[/quote3e558542f9]

alright. i guess i didn't think about it that way.

I'm pretty ripped up, (not as much as you Ilan,) and I want to stay that way, so I guess I'm going to cut down. I moved into this house and became an instant alcoholic, so I'm going to take your advice here and save drinking for the weekends. Even though I am putting up more weight and it's going to be depressing to see that stop.

Although, my new workout partner is 6'4" and 320lbs, so he keeps me pretty motivated. He's kind of scary when i don't put up the weight I should be haha.

Thanks for the tips bud.

J4320

30-09-2008 18:25:23

What about working out while STOAAAAAAAANED!!??!

ilanbg

30-09-2008 18:31:35

[quote7b32511375="J4320"]What about working out while STOAAAAAAAANED!!??![/quote7b32511375]

As far as I know, no negative effects to this, except maybe the increased danger of hurting yourself due to lack of coordination.

When I used to get high, I would go running and make my best times. Ran two miles in 10 minutes once (when I'm not high, my best mile run was something like 620); another time sprinted at full speed for about a quarter mile while holding a conversation on my cellphone.

I've always wanted to test my running and compare my times when I'm high v. when I'm not, but never got around to it. cry

J4320

30-09-2008 19:07:07

Yeah I know Aaaaaahnold would occasionally use Marijuana when he was in his prime. Relaxes the muscles and what not. I don't really think it helps or hinders though as far as muscle growth goes.

Twon

30-09-2008 19:28:15

I had this roommate in college who's Dad was connected in mthe mob. He'd supply me with 60s of whiskey weekly. I had so much booze that it was common for me to do 3 or 4 shots before going to the gym. As far as I remember, it's kind of fun lifting with a buzz.

d11m

30-09-2008 20:01:48

Liftin is kewl but cardio is not da bizzzz
im buzzzzzeddd

gonnna look for da

drunrk thread

ilanbg

30-09-2008 20:05:41

[quote1b15eea156="d11m"]Liftin is kewl but cardio is not da bizzzz
im buzzzzzeddd

gonnna look for da

drunrk thread[/quote1b15eea156]

dude, hit up the gym.

d11m

30-09-2008 21:47:22

[quoteebfceb2164="ilanbg"][quoteebfceb2164="d11m"]Liftin is kewl but cardio is not da bizzzz
im buzzzzzeddd

gonnna look for da

drunrk thread[/quoteebfceb2164]

dude, hit up the gym.[/quoteebfceb2164]
if yer beer buzzed and you just hit dat 10th 'full' beer buzzzz feelin you zaint NOT gonna wanna be runnin no trackzz yaddadamean?

Iloveipods2

01-10-2008 00:34:51

[quote200b405944="TravMan162"]So, this might be a bad idea, but i've been drinking before and during my workout and I've been putting up wayyyyyy more weight. I think the buzz might delay your muscle's response to when they should fail and allow you to continue your set whereas when sober you would fail quicker.

I could be wrong, but as soon as I started lifting with a buzz on, I repped the shit out of 200lbs on the flat bench (which is awesome for me cuz I have a really weak bench) and I don't get nearly as fatigued or tired as usual.

This is most likely going to end very badly, but i figured I'd share.[/quote200b405944]

maybe you're just an alcoholic? first part after denial is acceptance.

TravMan162

01-10-2008 03:38:26

[quote1f4c7ccf77="Iloveipods2"]maybe you're just an alcoholic? first part after denial is acceptance.[/quote1f4c7ccf77]

It was only a matter of time after those two years I just had. ha, I'll cut it down. Maybe. I don't know is this bad? -- We've been there just over three weeks, for the first 2-1/2 weeks, only three of us were drinkers and the fourth just moved in this weekend and he drinks too.

So far we're down 9-30 packs, 6-6 packs, a 12 pack of bottles, a bottle of vodka and........ oh yeah a keg.

does that mean I'm an alcoholic?

maybe, but at least i get to work at 6am everyday.

phriq

02-10-2008 08:42:38

I have never gone to the gym buzzed, but have played my wii sports buzzed.... i figure it would be pretty dangerous to lift while under the influence, loss of coordination and judgement could lead to some bad ideas or just dealing with heavy weights in the wrong way coudl hurt ya...

TravMan162

02-10-2008 15:10:05

[quote0004910940="phriq"]I have never gone to the gym buzzed, but have played my wii sports buzzed.... i figure it would be pretty dangerous to lift while under the influence, loss of coordination and judgement could lead to some bad ideas or just dealing with heavy weights in the wrong way coudl hurt ya...[/quote0004910940]

i'm not worried about that, i have a spotter and he's enormous. however, if what Ilan said is correct, that's enough to sway me.

sandra habina

04-10-2008 18:06:33

Travis - glad you are having fun with room mates (it is about time) but all that alcohol will ruin your body and mind, if you keep at that pace. YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY.

So as a friend - I say stop before you hurt yourself. kk

ilanbg

05-10-2008 00:25:09

On the other hand.

Alcohol never hurt anybody.

I say while drunk.

Mr. Gabriel

05-10-2008 08:45:35

My college roommate had the same problem, kind of.

He drank a lot of alcohol, most notably beer but worked out like a madman. I mean this guy was insane, he was benching over 200 easy and staying at the gym well over an hour and a half - 4-5 times a week

But the thing is, he wasn't jacked, in fact he looked fit but that's about it. So he went to some dietitian guy and told him his problem.

His dietitian told him to stop drinking, but after my buddy flipped him off he told him that switching to gin would help his problem.

And it worked, every party I saw him at, gin and tonic, and the thing is, it worked. Gin doesn't add as much to your gut as much as beer, and is better for you weight wise then other liquor.

You should've seen how many Beefeater bottles this guy had - he put all his textbooks on the floor permanently so he could stock up his shelves with empties shock

TravMan162

05-10-2008 10:08:48

i think your buddy's problem was he was overtraining. 4-5 times a week for two hours is going to end up doing more harm than good.

I don't know, I haven't seen any evidence to support that I should stop this idea, in fact, I've gained five pounds since I've been in this house and I still don't have any fat to speak of........

It could be all the pasta and beans I've been consuming too, but so far, it's taking the edge off. I mean, it's not like I'm drinking my ass off, just a beer or two in the midst of a workout, but it just seems to give me that little extra umph. AND I don't have to juice either.

Mr. Gabriel

05-10-2008 10:19:44

Yeah I hear ya,

You know what you should try, taking a good quality beer like Stella or Guinness and mix it half and half with an energy drink.

A couple of my friends actually do it, and they say its not bad - once you get used to it.

I've never actually done it because I just couldn't do that to a beer, but I figure you would use a light beer or something... confused2

ilanbg

05-10-2008 10:59:52

How Alcohol Affects Muscle Development and Recovery[=http//www.montclair.edu/caps/alcoholmuscle.pdf]How Alcohol Affects Muscle Development and Recovery

No Drinking and Training[=http//www.bodybuilding.com/fun/swordchucks3.htm]No Drinking and Training

Is Alcohol Bad for Building Muscle?[=http//ezinearticles.com/?Muscle-Building-and-Alcohol---Is-Alcohol-Bad-For-Building-Muscle?&id=1050178]Is Alcohol Bad for Building Muscle?

Effects of Alcohol on Muscle[=http//www.bodybuildingsecretslive.com/effects-of-alcohol-on-muscle/]Effects of Alcohol on Muscle

5 Reasons Alcohol will Destroy your Muscle Gains[=http//www.1muscle-building.com/alcohol_muscle.html]5 Reasons Alcohol will Destroy your Muscle Gains

To Conclude Alcohol and bodybuilding do not mix and will cause you to gain fat and lose muscle in the long run.[=http//www.musclenet.com/smoking_bodybuilding_alcohol.html]To Conclude Alcohol and bodybuilding do not mix and will cause you to gain fat and lose muscle in the long run.

Do it if you want—it worked for Arnold—but all knowledge of biology and physiology point to drinking while working out as a bad idea. I mean, I'm writing this with a slight hangover, so fuck me, but I try not to drink more than a couple nights a week, and make sure I recover before going to the gym.

TravMan162

05-10-2008 11:48:13

alright. you just scared me straight. for real this time.

i'm going to get shit on for this by my workout partner, but I lift to get big, not lift to get fat.

i'm only drinking on weekends from now on haha.

thanks man.

MegaFreebie

05-10-2008 16:23:30

When you drink your liver goes into overdrive to get rid of the alcohol that is sees as poison and the food you eat essentially gets packed on. Obviously a brief summary, but that's how I understand it.

Jiglet

08-10-2008 10:34:48

Can't imagine going to the gym drunk, or drinking while working out, definitely seems like a bad idea. Running, on the other hand...

ilanbg

08-10-2008 11:03:21

Bar fights.

Get enough of 'em going and it works your cardio.