Statistics help. (Maybe economics too.)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77340

ilanbg

17-09-2008 19:43:49

I took a semester of statistics and I can usually hack my way out of a statistics issue, but this one is confusing me. It might not even be statistics, maybe better classified as economics.

I have two sets of data. One set shows the relative ranking of 10 news sources. The other shows the relative hatred (how many people have shown dislike) towards those same news sources.

The question is how do I find the "most hated news source [b03282434cd]per capita[/b03282434cd]"? Meaning, how do I find the most hated news source relative to its popularity?

Keep in mind that the rankings are relative (1/10, 2/10, etc.) so I can't just divide by the number of viewers. ?

Any ideas?

[Also This is not for a homework assignment.]

EDIT Thanks for the replies. I don't have time to work on this and I'm not even sure why I am, may return to it eventually but it's being put on hold for now.

doylnea

17-09-2008 19:55:18

per capita wouldn't be possible to be shown based on the data as presented.

hehehhehe

17-09-2008 20:02:21

[quote14546b3570="ilanbg"]I took a semester of statistics and I can usually hack my way out of a statistics issue, but this one is confusing me. It might not even be statistics, maybe better classified as economics.

I have two sets of data. One set shows the relative ranking of 10 news sources. The other shows the relative hatred (how many people have shown dislike) towards those same news sources.

The question is how do I find the "most hated news source [b14546b3570]per capita[/b14546b3570]"? Meaning, how do I find the most hated news source relative to its popularity?

Keep in mind that the rankings are relative (1/10, 2/10, etc.) so I can't just divide by the number of viewers. ?

Any ideas?

[Also This is not for a homework assignment.][/quote14546b3570]
Relative ranking of what? You don't really say for the first ranking.

If you just ask for the most hated per capita, that just means hate per person so it would seem that you would just need to find the most hated, period since you'd just divide that by the number of votes/people/samples you used anyway.

I'm not really clear on what you have and want to find so maybe if you showed us the data you had, we could help more.

JennyWren

17-09-2008 23:53:37

Yeah, what does relative ranking mean?