Pulse Smartpen

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=77219

EatChex89

06-09-2008 21:08:10

So I just bought the Pulse Smartpen by Livescribe.

Basically it's a pen that records the strokes you make on paper with an infrared camera. You have to use special paper provided by the company, but supposedly by the end of this year you will be able to print your own paper out which is cool. And the notebooks are actually reasonably priced.

Here's the kicker. While you are taking notes, the pen is also recording and syncing the recording to your notes. So if you forget a certain portion of your notes, you're like "Well what was the teacher saying here?" You just click (doubleclick?) with the pen in that location and the audio will start from that point.

Pretty neat. I got it for my calculus class because I figure it will help me so when I am writing formulas and whatnot, I can go back and hear what she said at a certain time.

I got the $200 2GB version from Target. They also have a 1GB version for $150.

www.livescribe.com

ajasax

06-09-2008 21:46:47

I gotta say, that's fuckin sick. I want one.

KeithA

06-09-2008 22:19:22

I saw this on an endcap in Target today. Seems pretty f'in amazing.

When I was in Paris 5 years ago, there was a product called a Digipen. Basically, it was a pen-sized scanner / OCR tool that let you scan, translate, and digitize text from hard-copy books. It also automatically formatted citations if you scanned the ISBN.

So imagine you've got a big research paper to write. You hit the library, and instead of checking out 20 books and poring through them at home, you just scan the ISBNs, find the relevant passages, and run a pen over them. When you get home, you've got all the quotes you need, ready to copy and paste, and already cited.

That thing never caught on, but I still have it. (Don't use it either.) When I saw this, I had flashbacks.

Please let me know what you think of it. It could end up being really helpful in my day job...

EatChex89

06-09-2008 22:24:42

[quote573c416e41="KeithA"]I saw this on an endcap in Target today. Seems pretty f'in amazing.

When I was in Paris 5 years ago, there was a product called a Digipen. Basically, it was a pen-sized scanner / OCR tool that let you scan, translate, and digitize text from hard-copy books. It also automatically formatted citations if you scanned the ISBN.

So imagine you've got a big research paper to write. You hit the library, and instead of checking out 20 books and poring through them at home, you just scan the ISBNs, find the relevant passages, and run a pen over them. When you get home, you've got all the quotes you need, ready to copy and paste, and already cited.

That thing never caught on, but I still have it. (Don't use it either.) When I saw this, I had flashbacks.

Please let me know what you think of it. It could end up being really helpful in my day job...[/quote573c416e41]

Wow that sounds really cool.

Sad that it never caught on. Hopefully this livescribe thing catches on so that firmware gets updated more and people develop more applications.

By the end of the year they are also supposed to have support for translation.

I just downloaded the software, it's pretty neat. It allows you to search through your notes for certain words (it actually can somehow detect characters/words. pretty neat). I really think this is $200 well spent. (I hope!)

samz465

06-09-2008 22:28:01

I actually remember hearing about this product 6 months ago or so and it's really a neat thing to have. I'm actually considering getting one for myself.

ajasax

07-09-2008 11:09:41

It's like a LeapPad for grown-ups. Youtube demo

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bum_xYd6WgA

Think of the possibilities. I'm gonna cream myself.

akalic

07-09-2008 11:48:35

wow this is pretty cool haha

how much is the paper?

EatChex89

07-09-2008 13:05:17

[quote33e4bec824="akalic"]wow this is pretty cool haha

how much is the paper?[/quote33e4bec824]

The first purchase includes a book of 100 sheets college ruled paper.

I think the notebooks are about $5 to buy them.

Also, mine came with two additional ink cartridges and a blunt tip cartridge just for pressing.

Also, you can draw a piano and then play it with your pen. It's REALLY cool. I'll take a video soon with some features and upload it so you guys can check it out. I'm actually excited to go to class Monday so I can give it a first test! P

akalic

07-09-2008 14:18:45

woh thats intense, i can't imagine myself using this for academic purposes. I'd just be playing with it all day lol

ajasax

07-09-2008 20:33:16

They're adding the ability to print out your own paper in November, and adding full Spanish translator and OCR during Q4 of this year! I know what my next big purchase is gonna be -D

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livescribe

EatChex89

08-09-2008 12:05:43

I used this pen in class today and it ROCKS.

I also bought a pack of 4 notebooks for $20 (that's $5 a piece, not bad at all).

The only negative aspect of this pen is that it is a bit chunky and heavier than a normal pen so holding it for an hour gets awkward. I guess you could also lay it on the desk, but I tried to have the least possible background noise on the recording.

HYPE.

08-09-2008 12:32:24

This is awesome. I need it. O.O

Zags1199

09-09-2008 01:21:42

Some teachers at my school have gotten so anal about recording what they say. But that pen does sound pretty sweet.