What's going to happen?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76499

TravMan162

12-07-2008 06:56:28

Just some points to ponder, I'm not going one way or the other on this, I'm just interested to see what everyone else thinks on the subject.

Is there going to be some major catastrophic, world changing/ending event within our lifetime?

Between Iran pushing our buttons trying to start a WWIII nuclear holocaust, "global warming" (if it even exists,) all these super storms that keep killing thousands of people all of sudden, (cyclones, tsunamis and whatnot,) all these movies coming out about various diseases breaking out and killing the whole population (28 days later, i am legend, dawn of the dead, etc.,) the predictions of the Incans (or Mayans, I can't really remember) who say the world is done in 2012 and a world that seems to be spinning out of control, do you think any of this is foreshadowing what we are in for in the not so distant future? (that was the longest sentence I've ever written)

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has any thoughts, comments or concerns on the topic. feel free to discuss. or not, I'm just bored D

zr2152

12-07-2008 07:08:40

I think with those ancient calenders, yes thte world ends but a new one starts I believe. For the Mayans, the world does not end but rather their calender year.

oh and the world is not going to end that way. period.

Twon

12-07-2008 09:19:54

Is anyone here a Jehovah's Witness? Didn't they believe that the world would end at the start of the new millennium?

theysayjump

12-07-2008 09:37:18

America will lose their reign as the dominant force in the world, but not necessarily due to being attacked or by war, but rather through the destruction and collapse of its economy.

They'll then be left open in places of national security (border patrol, airport security, intelligence etc) due to lack of funding which will then result in them being attacked or provoked to attack, subsequently causing WWIII.

I believe global warming exists and the scariest part is the rising of the earth's water levels, coupled with the violent storms and weather patterns. We've abused the shit out of Mother Nature and now she's fighting back.

Twon

12-07-2008 10:11:37

[quotea18c560a46="theysayjump"]I believe global warming exists and the scariest part is the rising of the earth's water levels, coupled with the violent storms and weather patterns. We've abused the shit out of Mother Nature and now she's fighting back.[/quotea18c560a46]

And even though governments say they are doing what they can to help, they really aren't. Industry is much more important.

ajasax

12-07-2008 10:24:40

[quote372a7e2ee0="Reznor"]I should have listened to her
So hard to keep control
We kept on eating but
Our bloated belly's still not full
She gave us all she had but
We went and took some more
Can't seem to shut her legs
Our mother nature is a whore[/quote372a7e2ee0]

TravMan162

12-07-2008 10:56:55

[quote9e54ca38ba="theysayjump"]America will lose their reign as the dominant force in the world, but not necessarily due to being attacked or by war, but rather through the destruction and collapse of its economy.

They'll then be left open in places of national security (border patrol, airport security, intelligence etc) due to lack of funding which will then result in them being attacked or provoked to attack, subsequently causing WWIII.[/quote9e54ca38ba]

i read an article on msn that touched on this the other day. They were talking about how this is not just a recession, but the start of an unending downward spiral in the economy and this will cause the loss of our reign of most powerful country in the world.

I know we've been through recessions before, but this seems like people are more worried about it now than in previous recessions. It seems like there is a perfect storm that is going to cause some sort of epic collapse. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but it sure would suck to have our economy implode so that we were sitting ducks for all the developing countries that we've pissed off over the years.

It's going to be interesting, no doubt. I expect a draft to come back into play and I expect that times are about to get even tougher. But hopefully they will figure out what needs to be done and just do it. We have trouble on the home front and it's time to stop worrying about the rest of the world and iron our shit out first before it really hits the fan.

It's definitely a little disconcerting to have to consider losing our power in the world for the simple fact that half the world thinks we're tyrants. But time will tell and hopefully it all blows over. Probably not going to happen, but a guy can hope, right?

Twon

12-07-2008 11:04:49

The more and more I think about it, I really do believe that Godzilla will kill us all in his quest to defeat Mothra and Rodan.

condra

12-07-2008 12:17:54

[quote4d316aa180="TravMan162"]
i read an article on msn that touched on this the other day. They were talking about how this is not just a recession, but the start of an unending downward spiral in the economy and this will cause the loss of our reign of most powerful country in the world.

I know we've been through recessions before, but this seems like people are more worried about it now than in previous recessions. It seems like there is a perfect storm that is going to cause some sort of epic collapse. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but it sure would suck to have our economy implode so that we were sitting ducks for all the developing countries that we've pissed off over the years.

It's going to be interesting, no doubt. I expect a draft to come back into play and I expect that times are about to get even tougher. But hopefully they will figure out what needs to be done and just do it. We have trouble on the home front and it's time to stop worrying about the rest of the world and iron our shit out first before it really hits the fan.

It's definitely a little disconcerting to have to consider losing our power in the world for [b4d316aa180]the simple fact that half the world thinks we're tyrants[/b4d316aa180]. But time will tell and hopefully it all blows over. Probably not going to happen, but a guy can hope, right?[/quote4d316aa180]

No offense, but I can see why they think that. The war in Iraq, and not only, you had ones before. Being a superpower makes you pretty invincible thus you can afford to make wars like those.

anyway, why would that be such a bad thing? america losing supremacy over the world?
I am a bit concerned about the next superpower, which could be China....and who knows how they will act...but I do believe monopoly isn't a great thing.

tylerc

12-07-2008 15:19:20

Global warming is a myth.

EDIT to the tyrants comment-

The US is constantly in a lose-lose situation. If we do nothing, the world bitches at us to do something and help, because we're the United States. If we do something, the world bitches at us for being tyrants. Either take our help or shut the fuck up and solve the problem yourself.

TrubluFul

12-07-2008 15:45:36

[quoteb625948b47="theysayjump"]America will lose their reign as the dominant force in the world, but not necessarily due to being attacked or by war, but rather through the destruction and collapse of its economy.

They'll then be left open in places of national security (border patrol, airport security, intelligence etc) due to lack of funding which will then result in them being attacked or provoked to attack, subsequently causing WWIII.

I believe global warming exists and the scariest part is the rising of the earth's water levels, coupled with the violent storms and weather patterns. We've abused the shit out of Mother Nature and now she's fighting back.[/quoteb625948b47]

100% agree
Vote Blu

J4320

12-07-2008 15:53:31

When I read the title I had a small feeling that the Mayan calender was going to be in here. Yaaaall are tards. They didn't have enough space on the rock they were writing on for 2013 and beyond. Duh.

sandra habina

12-07-2008 16:38:42

[quote62bc077a41="tylerc"]Global warming is a myth.

The US is constantly in a lose-lose situation. If we do nothing, the world bitches at us to do something and help, because we're the United States. If we do something, the world bitches at us for being tyrants. Either take our help or shut the fuck up and solve the problem yourself.[/quote62bc077a41]

I disagree on global warming - I do believe it is happening, and we need to do something.

But the TYRANT COMMENT - I AGREE. Either like the help or do not accept it.
Either way it does seem like the US gets a bad rap. roll I think the US should worry more about it's own before exploding their help to others.

theysayjump

12-07-2008 16:57:21

[quotefc97565585="tylerc"]Global warming is a myth.

The US is constantly in a lose-lose situation. If we do nothing, the world bitches at us to do something and help, because we're the United States. If we do something, the world bitches at us for being tyrants. Either take our help or shut the fuck up and solve the problem yourself.[/quotefc97565585]

Woah woah woah, baby bear.

Were the US called tyrants during WWII? No.

Why was that? Because of the way they handled themselves pretty much. Everyone loved them.

Since then they've pretty much fucked up most of the major military operations they've been involved in, or at least abused the shit out of them.

The entire world knew why Bush took us into Iraq and they knew what was going to happen. The entire world (for the most part) were against going to Iraq under the premise of WMDs, but what did Bush do? He went the fuck over there anyway, ignored what everyone else wanted and has balls'ed it up, big time.

It's the arrogance of "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH. HERE AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY, YEAH!" that pisses people off.

J4320

12-07-2008 20:08:47

The world will end somewhat like this --

http//i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/skyhaseyes/larrycarlson_0662.jpg[" alt=""/img44110ef314]

hehehhehe

12-07-2008 21:01:09

Global warming is real. The polar ice caps will melt, and the known world will submerge underwater, making soil a precious commodity. Generations will go on, and even forget what really happened to land. People will roam the world in floating fortresses and oil tankers, using a lot of jet skis and mostly living in a lawless world. Some humans will genetically mutate and grow gills and gain fish-like swimming abilities.

It's gonna be awesome.

[quote431ab4c92d="tylerc"]Global warming is a myth.[/quote431ab4c92d]
Global warming (rise of earth's surface temperature) is happening. Do you want me to post a graph?

If you meant to say that it isn't caused by humans, I am so glad we have someone here that has obviously studied this matter and can bust this myth for us when the consensus of the scientists would disagree.

phriq

12-07-2008 22:12:05

someone has watched a little to much waterworld. lol.... I think global warming is a cycle of the earth....humans know only short term cycles of the earths weather patters, but i believe long term cycles exist as well.. hence global warming may haunt us for may years, but it will eventually roll back.

akalic

13-07-2008 00:36:24

i'm pretty sure tylerc was just joking about it being a myth...

Powerbook

13-07-2008 04:19:21

My university has a lot of researches on the subject of global warming. I took an entry level science class, and the professor was very famous for his issue. I remember that half the class was spent by arguing with two kids argued that it existed. I still remember how he pwned them. Anyways, the North Pole is going to be all melted soon, how the hell is Santa going to come to my house? cry

hehehhehe

13-07-2008 08:10:32

[quote05498fec80="phriq"]I think global warming is a cycle of the earth....humans know only short term cycles of the earths weather patters, but i believe long term cycles exist as well.. hence global warming may haunt us for may years, but it will eventually roll back.[/quote05498fec80]
Possibly, but never in the Earth's history have they had people burning fossil fuels the way we have and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere (along with Earth's water vapor, in case someone brings that up). CO2 concentration in our atmosphere is already much higher than it's been in the last 400-650k years (#yrs depends on source), exceeding the levels we've seen in the natural cycle. CO2 is a greenhouse gas and contributes to earth's surface temperature rise, and that is a fact. They do have ice-core data so we have more than recent history to look back on, and it shows a temperature cycle which correlates with the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (up for debate is what leads what but scientists believe there is a lag effect).

My point is, whether you believe in human caused global warming or not, we know that burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment, why not play it safe and cut down on it? It's our fucking planet. It's taking severe weather whose occurrences are much higher than what we should be seeing to finally get people's attention. And this goes for people on both sides of the debate, but don't let one documentary/web video/article make your mind up for you. Watch both sides and read some debunking articles on them and make your mind up for yourself.

Anyway, feel free to post in the global warming thread if you want a (civil) debate. Sorry for going off topic (sort of).

[quote05498fec80="akalic"]i'm pretty sure tylerc was just joking about it being a myth...[/quote05498fec80]
You would think so but somehow I doubt that.

phriq

13-07-2008 19:29:49

[quotefa2b88fc0e="hehehhehe"]
My point is, whether you believe in human caused global warming or not, we know that burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment, why not play it safe and cut down on it? .[/quotefa2b88fc0e]

I completely agree with that. I may not believe necassarily in global warming, but i do believe we for sure need to protect the environment.

tylerc

13-07-2008 19:37:59

I was sort of joking. I think we need to be environmentally conscious, and I do little things here and there, but I'm a cynic by nature and I really doubt it's as bad as people make it out to be.

As long as the earth doesn't die out in my generation or the generation after, I did my part (passing it on to the next generation), it's on them after that.

Iloveipods2

13-07-2008 20:09:26

[quoteca3dd62098="tylerc"]Global warming is a myth.

The US is constantly in a lose-lose situation. If we do nothing, the world bitches at us to do something and help, because we're the United States. If we do something, the world bitches at us for being tyrants. Either take our help or shut the fuck up and solve the problem yourself.[/quoteca3dd62098]

It's true, the world really does expect us to help. The young generation doesn't appreciate it since the world is moving towards more of a neo-liberal side.

The old timers love and appreciate America, we saved everyone's ass during WWII.

TravMan162

13-07-2008 20:11:27

Global warming is great and everything, but does anyone else have that sinking feeling that something really, really bad is on the horizon? Meh, I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it is what it is.

J4320

13-07-2008 20:15:58

Think of how they felt during the Cold War.

TravMan162

13-07-2008 20:23:56

ha, that's true, but cooler heads prevailed because they were cool heads. Iran is the opposite. The whole world is pissed at us and we're in quite a precarious defensive position at this point. Not even that, but it just seems like a perfect storm right now so to speak. We played world police for ever now, and now that we've pushed so many buttons that the world wants to make us cease to exist, our once flourishing economy that allowed us to push our weight around without consequence has now conveniently taken a shitter.

Great.

You combine this with all this weird natural shit that's going on -- I heard something about in California, because of all the foreclosures on houses with pools, the mosquitoes are going nuts over all that standing water, 60% of which have West Nile Virus and they're reproducing in scary amounts. To the point where kids need to stay inside the house if they have a foreclosure with a pool in their neighborhood.

I mean, who would have thought that that could happen? Honestly? And yeah, the recent influx of apocalyptic movies is also a little disconcerting be it fiction or not.

J4320

13-07-2008 20:49:21

I think someone needs to quit worrying. And I know of a substance that will make you chiiiiiill. ;)

But srsly, I doubt Iran would be dumb enough to start a war with us and I'm pretty sure they don't want to.

TravMan162

13-07-2008 20:55:50

I'm not really worried about it, shit, if it's our time to go it's our time to go, but I was just curious about what you highly intelligent intarweb beings thought about it.

Ha substance you say?

I'm going to go drink.

hehehhehe

13-07-2008 21:06:10

Xanax time travman.

Fwiw, apocalyptic movies are nothing new. I am legend is an old book and the movie is a remake. Dawn of the dead is also a remake, Romero made the first zombie movie in the '60s. There seems to be many more made nowadays because CGI allows them to create some disaster eye candy.

J4320

13-07-2008 21:06:11

[quote5ebf8262ce="TravMan162"]I'm not really worried about it, shit, if it's our time to go it's our time to go, but I was just curious about what you highly intelligent intarweb beings thought about it.

Ha substance you say?

I'm going to go drink.[/quote5ebf8262ce]

http/" alt=""/img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif[/img5ebf8262ce]

TravMan162

13-07-2008 21:22:36

[quotef689ca7be4="J4320"][quotef689ca7be4="TravMan162"]I'm not really worried about it, shit, if it's our time to go it's our time to go, but I was just curious about what you highly intelligent intarweb beings thought about it.

Ha substance you say?

I'm going to go drink.[/quotef689ca7be4]

http/" alt=""/img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif[/imgf689ca7be4][/quotef689ca7be4]

[quotef689ca7be4="hehehhehe"]Xanax time travman. [/quotef689ca7be4]

hahaha, jeez, I don't know how many times I can say I love you guys in a week but......... I love you guys lol

Hey consider the personal situation I'm in and tell me I haven't earned a right to be a little pessimistic and angry about..... well....... everything.

adylisa

13-07-2008 22:39:36

This thread has really taught me a lot in a short time and brought to my attention certain things I barely paid attention to. Thanx for creating this thread Trav.

I must say it makes one scared to think about the unthinkable. But one thing for sure is that, it will come to pass either in this century or the next.

Vector

15-07-2008 08:24:14

personally i plan on doing everything ive ever wanted to do before 2012 and ill be good D

theysayjump

15-07-2008 09:04:06

[quote92a042d023="Vector"]personally i plan on doing everything ive ever wanted to do before 2012 and ill be good D[/quote92a042d023]

I'm kinda screwed there because my only ambition in life is to live until 2013.