Anyone here good at Biology and genetics?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76393

Powerbook

05-07-2008 09:58:25

I am doing some practice problems. I'm not sure I am getting the correct answers. Let me know if any of you are good with genetics. Bio is probably my worst subject.

EDIT

SOLVED, after a couple drinks BIO was easy! Turns out I was reading the sentence incorrectly.

zr2152

05-07-2008 10:06:27

I HATED my human biology class that I had to take for my BS in Psychology degree. Worst class ever.

Powerbook

05-07-2008 10:13:52

Dude tell me about it... I'm a fucking business/pre-law major I do not want to take this. My school is being a hard ass about this bio class I'm taking at a local community college for credit. If I do not get an A- my credit won't transfer. SHIT. My teacher is a nightmare. She is retiring so she wants to show how tough she is. She makes us write in pen on our labs and if we have to use whiteout or cross out she will deduct 5-10 points off the grade. I thought I could get away with it, so I bought erasable pens. She saw me using it, and she still took the points off. Also, from time to time I have asked her if what I am doing is correct. She says yes, then slams me with point deductions saying no it is not correct. She also gets these weird labs you can't use the book for help. On top of all this she took points off my group last lab for accuracy. A whole 10 points. We didn't get results that she liked, even though at first she said everything is golden. So, how am I supposed to learn BIO when I am being treated like a 4 year old, and can't possibly disagree with her? (

ESMcCready

05-07-2008 10:19:38

I took biology twice in high school because I loved it so much.

I passed the first course with a 98 and took it again just because I loved it and I needed to fill a slot. Passed that time with a 110.

What exactly is giving you problems?

And, you know...you can report her for that. That's just unfair and NOT teaching you anything but to hate her...

P.S. - Plus, my Grandmother has a Master's in Biology and minor in Algebra. She's also 2 credits away from getting her Doctor's but she's just being lazy. So if I don't have the answer, I can call her up and she will.

Powerbook

05-07-2008 10:22:55

Just these genetics problems with test crosses and stuff. In high school I was good in bio, I just can't stand it now. This lady just completely made me hate it. Every time I have work, I reluctantly do it. I can't wait to do the student evaluation. Too bad it don't matter, she is retiring anyway. Mind getting on aim?

ESMcCready

05-07-2008 10:25:42

No problem...logging in right now

J4320

05-07-2008 11:40:16

I LOVE Biology. I've taken the high school class and the ground level college class. I didn't really have a use for it either since I'm Business but I was really good at it. I kind of forgot how to do the genetics stuff though. That sucks that you have to have a rotten teacher in such a great class.

Powerbook

05-07-2008 11:53:45

Yeah, I was good at BIO until now. I guess she likes grading on crossing out. ROFL

J4320

05-07-2008 11:55:30

Ugh I feel for ye man. |

JennyWren

05-07-2008 13:13:56

WTF is with taking marks off for correcting what you wrote? Why does it matter if you cross something out or use white out? You aren't an illuminated manuscript writer, you are a student. She sounds like a bitch, wonder how she lasted this long.

J4320

05-07-2008 13:34:12

My stats teacher would take points off for missing periods and etc. Some teachers are just uber picky like that. There isn't much you can do about it. shrug

Powerbook

05-07-2008 20:14:52

I still can't figure out some of this. I am confused about some of this testcrossing. Especially when some traits are listed as E/e, B/B, A/a etc. how are those crossed with something like EEee? (

bruman

05-07-2008 20:47:38

[quote5731493bd8="Powerbook"]I still can't figure out some of this. I am confused about some of this testcrossing. Especially when some traits are listed as E/e, B/B, A/a etc. how are those crossed with something like EEee? ([/quote5731493bd8]

http//www.tutor.com

Coupon codes
Carolann - 75 minutes for $1 (credit card required)
GCVIP50F - 50 minutes free (no credit card required)

They have biology

akalic

06-07-2008 00:47:36

i'm surprised they didn't give the masks of the traits (dominant or recessive)..seems rather tedious

Powerbook

06-07-2008 07:07:30

yeah, i have no idea what all of that is supposed to do and they aren't all that similar. i may have to use the tutor thing. (

Iloveipods2

06-07-2008 07:47:21

[quoted802b0a319="akalic"]i'm surprised they didn't give the masks of the traits (dominant or recessive)..seems rather tedious[/quoted802b0a319]

you don't need to know the dominant or recessive gene. It's asking for the genotypes not phenotypes. Just assign a letter(O) for orange and B(for black) and make a Punnet's square. You know what the result of the mating is Orange with brown nose, so you just have to circle the right geneotype.

If you're still confused, call your classmates.

Powerbook

06-07-2008 10:02:12

50 minutes of tutor.com didn't help. I kept getting transfered and no one knew anything heh. I only talk with a few people at this community college, they really aren't my classmates so to speak. They don't seem to know either heh.

Iloveipods2

06-07-2008 10:28:58

[quote3b9a310eae="Powerbook"]50 minutes of tutor.com didn't help. I kept getting transfered and no one knew anything heh. I only talk with a few people at this community college, they really aren't my classmates so to speak. They don't seem to know either heh.[/quote3b9a310eae]

If this is an intro to genetics course, then you should read the book and really get this down. It really comes down to common sense. There's also a formula some where for determining genotypes and skipping making the Punnet's square and I'm sure you can find it online.

You can do it manually with the Punnet's square because it tells you the phenotypes and you can determine the geneotypes from that.

i.e.
for Morganne(Orange x Brown Nose)
you know she's orange so her geneotype for Orange can be
OO
Oo
oo
Ob

and for nose(hint; getting BrBr and Brbr means that the parents have a 75% chance of that phenotype and 50% chance being Brbr geneotype)
BrBr
Brbl
Brbr

Now set up a Punnet's square and calculate the possibilities to get those. This is the basic stuff, your teacher will eventually give you ones with multiple alleles. Hopefully by then, she'll also give you the formula.

EDIT This should all be in your book anyways.

Powerbook

06-07-2008 10:36:01

did you see the website? that's now how the genotypes are set up. I understand it like that, but the genotypes are in a weird format on the website.

Iloveipods2

06-07-2008 10:38:41

[quotec14076a713="Powerbook"]did you see the website? that's now how the genotypes are set up. I understand it like that, but the genotypes are in a weird format on the website.[/quotec14076a713]

lol that's even easier since the website GIVES you the genotypes.

Powerbook

06-07-2008 10:40:11

that's why i am confused. i'm not sure if i just list them or what. I have no idea what the KB/KB, e/E, E/E stuff is, i am used to seeing crosses between things like EEee, and so on EeEe and dogs that have the KB/KB and so on have different colors.

Powerbook

06-07-2008 10:47:03

Ahh wait a second, do I just take the ones from the table and rewrite them so , KB/KB, E/e, B/b is the same as KB/KB, E/E, B/B? If so, I am extremely stupid. I have interpreted it all wrong. Wow, I am retarded if that is the case. I have never been so so stupid. LOL

Iloveipods2

06-07-2008 10:48:15

that's because in reality, dogs and other animals aren't simple EEee.
Think of corn, how wild corn has multiple colors around it. The alleles that determine color are all over the place, which is why cats and dogs have spots all over the place.

It's the same thing when they assign the Ks, it's just that you're not used to seeing it.

You can't just list the possible genotypes because you need to eliminate some due to you knowing the parents and offspring.

Powerbook

06-07-2008 10:50:00

How would you cross something like EEBB with something like KB/KB, E/E, B/b then?

Iloveipods2

06-07-2008 10:53:19

K is the locus, not the allele. It think that's what is confusing you.

Powerbook

17-07-2008 09:11:35

I ended up getting an "A" in the course, despite all this. Last test and some extra credit gave me a "96" average. Her cutoff for an "A" was 95.0 +. I was the only one who got an "A." Hah

ESMcCready

17-07-2008 13:48:37

GOOD POWERBOOK!!!