How can you guys participate in so many offers for credits?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=76137

webserverdude

16-06-2008 14:49:25

Please excuse me, but I am a true newbie, based on the nature of the question. Please excuse me if I am repeating a post or something like that. I'd appreciate any and all answers.

dmorris68

16-06-2008 14:57:42

I'm not sure I understand your question?

webserverdude

16-06-2008 14:59:46

I updated the subject, so you can hopefully understand my question.

TravMan162

16-06-2008 15:20:31

Come again?

webserverdude

16-06-2008 15:33:37

I have seen so many success stories when it comes to these freebie sites. And looking at the websites they've used, there appears to be a lot of offers that can be pretty expensive and unneccesary. And often, you participate in these type of offers more than once. So, you must have tons of products or services you don't use and/or must keep track of to cancel those trials. I was just wondering how you guys deal with those type of things.

ESMcCready

16-06-2008 16:04:25

The main think Web is to keep track of everything and never do too many websites at one time. PLUS, you NEVER do the same offer more then once.

I, myself, write down all my cancellation information and trial lengths and website info on post-it notes and stick them around my monitor. That way I have easy access to the info and I can visibly keep track of everything I've done.

webserverdude

16-06-2008 16:31:29

What are the main offers that you shoot for? Like of course you wouldn't sign up for credit cards or anything like that.

ESMcCready

16-06-2008 16:37:21

I always shoot for things that seem easy and that I'm interested in. If I can't find anything I'm fully interested in I look for offers that are credit, instant, and don't have any loopholes in their TOS.

ALWAYS read your TOS (Terms Of Service) before signing up for anything. I didn't once and got stuck with having to pay $50 for something that didn't even work well. Turns out, in their TOS is states you are only paying the shipping and handling with the promise that you will do an automated supply at least once because cancelling.

And never do offers that don't have any customer service number listed. If they don't have a number, they AT LEAST should have a way to cancel the account or talk to someone online. IF they don't have either, I wouldn't trust them.

I have to say though, my favorite offer I have done so far has been the "Good Cook" book club. I got 4 cookbooks for only $15 (that was for shipping and handling). I'm a cooking freak and I love reading cook books just for fun.

I know, I'm such a dork! lilolli

dmorris68

16-06-2008 16:40:14

[quote5613cd6388="webserverdude"]What are the main offers that you shoot for? Like of course you wouldn't sign up for credit cards or anything like that.[/quote5613cd6388]
Huh? Lots of people sign up for the credit cards.

Also, there will be no discussions about cancellations here. Please read the forum rules. You are expected to try offers that you have a legitimate interest in, and you should never cancel before giving the product an honest try. I've kept many products for years after I signed up for them to get a freebie.

Most everyone has their own methods for keeping up with the sites and offers they pursue, along with copies of the terms for each (which you should ALWAYS read). Some use pen & paper, others use spreadsheets or databases. Saving screenshots and e-mails is recommended as well. Whatever works for you.

webserverdude

16-06-2008 17:26:09

Gotcha moderator; I wasn't very familiar with that particular rule. There will be no mention of it again! D But on a more serious note, I appreciate the input from everyone.

TravMan162

16-06-2008 19:57:38

That's not really a rule as much as it is the foundation for how this whole thing works. I mean, it most definitely is a rule, but the fact that it is a rule is not what Dmo's really upset about. If everyone just tried every offer and canceled right away, the freebie world as we know it would collapse. Since every site is sponsored by these companies that promote the offers, they, in effect, rely on the particular site to generate leads for them.

If every lead was just someone looking to get credit to immediately cancel, the sponsor would never make any money, less the obligatory shipping and handling, they would revoke their offer from the site and the site would collapse. Rinse, repeat and now there are no freebies.

See how that works? So it's not really that it's a rule, I mean I guess technically it is, but the fact that THAT particular rule was put into place in order to sway the #1 detriment to the freebie world means more to the mods than the fact that you are breaking a general rule. Bump twice in 24hr period and you get slapped on the wrist, but this is the rule that they take most seriously.

So much typing. Geez.

ESMcCready

16-06-2008 20:10:03

I don't even know why Dmorris metion it.

In the comment I made, I stated that I had tried the product and didn't like it...so I was going to return it anyway.

But Trav, even you have to admit. If you keep every offer that you signed up for...you wouldn't really be getting a true freebie.

By the time the recurring payments hit you or the big payment for it, you would wind up spending more money then if you actually went out and brought the product.

I understand the rule and I see why it is in place. I wasn't ENCOURAGING Web to cancel immediately. But getting that information is very important if you decide you really don't want the product or service. Not gathering it when you first do the offer could lead to alot of problems and complications you don't need on top of everything.

TravMan162

16-06-2008 20:20:47

Ha, I haven't really done too many sites, and I've actually kept most of the offers I've done. Some I had good intentions when I signed up and I just ended up hating the service, but there are a lot of really really good offers out there.

Disney book clubs are great because I have friends with kids, Cafe Belmondo was awesome for the cheap, delicious coffee, Columbia House has stellar deals on cd's and it's not like there's a recurring charge..... Identity Theft Protection is like $10 a month and that's actually helped me get my damn social straightened out. What else, Blockbuster was good until I found the Red Box and Watch-movies.net, Vista Print was cool, and so on and so forth. There's a lot of pretty nifty stuff on these sites that you wouldn't normally find. But yes. Some are absolute crap. No doubt.

theysayjump

16-06-2008 21:06:15

PetChews ftw.

dmorris68

16-06-2008 21:36:13

[quote87136c1eec="TravMan162"]That's not really a rule as much as it is the foundation for how this whole thing works. I mean, it most definitely is a rule, but the fact that it is a rule is not what Dmo's really upset about.[/quote87136c1eec]
It is most definitely a rule. Not only a cardinal rule of the freebie industry, but an explicit one of this forum as well. But I wasn't upset either, just setting the OP straight.

[quote87136c1eec="ESMcCready"]I don't even know why Dmorris metion it.[/quote87136c1eec]
Because it's a rule that we take seriously, and vigorously enforce here? Besides, my comment wasn't even directed at you. The tone of the OP's post was one of "how do you guys do all these offers and cancel them without paying through the nose?" which is a common idea for newbies who don't understand that rampant cancellation is a huge detriment to this industry.

rutchana666

16-06-2008 22:12:03

[quoted12733a226="ESMcCready"]The main think Web is to keep track of everything and never do too many websites at one time. PLUS, you NEVER do the same offer more then once.

I, myself, write down all my cancellation information and trial lengths and website info on post-it notes and stick them around my monitor. That way I have easy access to the info and I can visibly keep track of everything I've done.[/quoted12733a226]

Very Well Said... This is exactly what I do...

ESMcCready

17-06-2008 07:32:48

[quote49411214a5="dmorris68"][quote49411214a5="TravMan162"]That's not really a rule as much as it is the foundation for how this whole thing works. I mean, it most definitely is a rule, but the fact that it is a rule is not what Dmo's really upset about.[/quote49411214a5]
It is most definitely a rule. Not only a cardinal rule of the freebie industry, but an explicit one of this forum as well. But I wasn't upset either, just setting the OP straight.

[quote49411214a5="ESMcCready"]I don't even know why Dmorris metion it.[/quote49411214a5]
Because it's a rule that we take seriously, and vigorously enforce here? Besides, my comment wasn't even directed at you. The tone of the OP's post was one of "how do you guys do all these offers and cancel them without paying through the nose?" which is a common idea for newbies who don't understand that rampant cancellation is a huge detriment to this industry.[/quote49411214a5]

lilight bulb goes off in her headli Ahhh...so there really is people dumb enough to do an offer and cancel it a day or two later?

TryinToGetPaid

17-06-2008 07:50:21

Yeah, 98% of them. Especially if they come from PPD, and wind up on a forum. Forum users = horrible.

J4320

17-06-2008 08:03:47

As I always say, canceling offers is like masturbating.

CollidgeGraduit

17-06-2008 08:16:19

[quotec4b47f1853="J4320"]As I always say, canceling offers is like masturbating.[/quotec4b47f1853]

It's always best to wear eye protection just in case?

ESMcCready

17-06-2008 08:17:56

Hey, I must say, after I signed up for PPD...I wanted my money back. That was a waste of $35!

The only thing I needed was the list of websites. Everything else was pretty useless...

I don't see why people live by PPD. They're lacking so much NEED TO KNOW information on the whole thing.

theysayjump

17-06-2008 08:19:09

[quote44e7f009b5="CollidgeGraduit"][quote44e7f009b5="J4320"]As I always say, canceling offers is like masturbating.[/quote44e7f009b5]

It's always best to wear eye protection just in case?[/quote44e7f009b5]

Should I quote your spelling mistake or just edit it for you?

CollidgeGraduit

17-06-2008 08:43:01

[quotea51c26ceb5="theysayjump"][quotea51c26ceb5="CollidgeGraduit"][quotea51c26ceb5="J4320"]As I always say, canceling offers is like masturbating.[/quotea51c26ceb5]

It's always best to wear eye protection just in case?[/quotea51c26ceb5]

Should I quote your spelling mistake or just edit it for you?[/quotea51c26ceb5]

Which one?

theysayjump

17-06-2008 09:02:58

I see what you did thurr.

CollidgeGraduit

17-06-2008 09:08:05

[quotedadcf82e1e="theysayjump"]I see what you did thurr.[/quotedadcf82e1e]

wat

theysayjump

17-06-2008 09:49:56

CG, you craaazzy.

Twon

17-06-2008 10:06:34

[quotec6f5f0d6d3="theysayjump"]CG, you craaazzy.[/quotec6f5f0d6d3]

When you think about it, you'd ahve to agree.

webserverdude

17-06-2008 12:40:27

I guess I do have to agree on the fact that the offers are what pretty much make up the freebie industry, and taking advantage of it would be helping the industry diminish. (Is that what you guys were trying to inform me of?)

Quadracer89

17-06-2008 15:36:21

I have an excel page saved with every offer I signed up for, when I signed up for it, the price I paid, when the trial period is over and weather or not I canceled. I also always put the companies phone number next to it just incase I have any problems with them.

tylerc

17-06-2008 20:15:35

I also put confirmation codes/order numbers down, as well as the name of who I talked to.