Potential Scammer Buyer/ Need advice

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=75945

Powerbook

04-06-2008 09:10:29

It was sold successfully, and the 1000 is in my bank account now. )

doylnea

04-06-2008 09:14:14

a) I edited his phone number
b) if you feel uncomfortable dealing with him, wait for another buyer - buyers are a dime a dozen on CL, especially for a $1K Powerbook - you hold all the cards here, don't get into a bad situation over $1K.

Powerbook

04-06-2008 09:19:54

Woops, sorry about that. I forgot to edit his phone number. I was talking about the one on the myspace, but forgot to edit this one out. Yeah this is what I am thinking. I didn't have much luck so far. On ebay I will be lucky to get $900. Part of me wants to believe this will work out, however something seems wrong. No one in Korea would be working with a rapper... I'm kind of curious what his next emails will be like. Someone told me to go with the money to the bank and get it checked out if he pays.

ajasax

04-06-2008 09:34:46

[quote6d6904e7d4]"nope not a scam im a new coming producer and song write so i did some
work with this guy in korea and he is sending me the money for the
work dude i promis no scam im a str8 up dude real talk and i plan to
give u cash and i kno everyday is sum im pissed off cuz i really need" [/quote6d6904e7d4]
lifacepalmli

DRay9911

04-06-2008 09:46:50

kim jong-il disagrees

his english gets progressively worse with each e-mail, that's enough for me not to trust him.

unless you meet him at the bank when he's cashing that check and you get the 1,000 as soon as he receives it from the teller.

-dan

[quote65a306469b="Powerbook"]No one in Korea would be working with a rapper...[/quote65a306469b]

Powerbook

04-06-2008 11:03:40

Yeah, this is really annoying. I hate selling online. I don't think I can trust him and his cash. Anyone got recommendations on selling it? For some reason, my rev of macbook pro hasn't sold that well on ebay.

hehehhehe

04-06-2008 11:19:37

The only way I'd trust this guys is if he gets the money from a bank teller in front of your eyes like dray says. I would also find another buyer as I would never deal with someone with such poor grammar skills if I'm selling something expensive and trust is an issue.

And yeah, I would assume they have music in Korea (ever see Rain on Colbert lol?) so I don't know where that 'no Korean would be working with a rapper' comes from.

[quote16679978db="DRay9911"]kim jong-il disagrees

his english gets progressively worse with each e-mail, that's enough for me not to trust him.

unless you meet him at the bank when he's cashing that check and you get the 1,000 as soon as he receives it from the teller.

-dan

[quote16679978db="Powerbook"]No one in Korea would be working with a rapper...[/quote16679978db][/quote16679978db]

Powerbook

04-06-2008 11:28:34

[quote43978abdcc="hehehhehe"]The only way I'd trust this guys is if he gets the money from a bank teller in front of your eyes like dray says. I would also find another buyer as I would never deal with someone with such poor grammar skills if I'm selling something expensive and trust is an issue.

And yeah, I would assume they have music in Korea (ever see Rain on Colbert lol?) so I don't know where that 'no Korean would be working with a rapper' comes from.

[quote43978abdcc="DRay9911"]kim jong-il disagrees

-dan

[quote43978abdcc="Powerbook"]No one in Korea would be working with a

rapper...[/quote43978abdcc][/quote43978abdcc][/quote43978abdcc]

Hah, what I meant about that one was that is is highly unlikely he would be waiting for a check to clear then say some guy in Korea sent it wrong. Why would I be waiting to get paid from some guy from Korea that sent him a check for his music producing? It seems like he changed his story, and he should have gotten a wire if that was the truth. All these craigslist buyers show how interested they are and arrange a meeting time then they back out. For using craigslist for the first time, it sure sucks. I am having such bad luck with it.

JennyWren

04-06-2008 11:33:22

Avoid avoid avoid!

This has scam written all over it, mostly in crappy English.

On basic principle, I would never sell something to anyone who says 'imma'.

tucker1003

04-06-2008 15:57:16

I thought it was Randy Jackson "judge from American Idol, Producer, songwriter" dude, dude u r da dawg!

Powerbook

04-06-2008 16:30:00

New update

He says the money cleared and he has it and will pay cash in person. I came up with a great idea. My local grocery store has a bank and a cashiers area for money orders. I told him I will be there with him and watch him buy me the money order right there. This way I see him purchasing it to make sure the cash is real.

guelah75

04-06-2008 19:05:44

i dont see the big deal, if he gives you cash take it....slight chance he will give you fake money, maybe im wrong(wouldnt you be able to tell the fake bills?)

I think the grocery store is a good idea btw

Powerbook

04-06-2008 19:08:37

Yeah the way he was responding, I think this is the safe idea. I didn't get much interest, because apparently craigslist isn't too popular in my area.

ESMcCready

05-06-2008 08:17:28

Just a side note

there ARE Korean rap artist BTW.

And the grocery store idea is PERFECT! But make sure to call the grocery store and ask them to have a fake money pen ready for when you come. Most stores don't really use them like they are suppose to ESPECIALLY if it is a busy day. I'm pretty sure the store will be happy to catch someone who may be passing fake money.

Grocery stores fall victim the most next to mini-markets for fake money.

Powerbook

05-06-2008 08:22:59

well, the idea is to protect myself. the grocery store will have to deal with it at that point,

ESMcCready

05-06-2008 08:59:46

Well...the grocery store can hold you responsible for the fake money as well as the giver. I think...that is how it was done in my town.

Someone came into the store with fake money and the cashier who took it, caught it as being fake. The friend that was with the giver was charged because he profitted from the act of the crime.

I guess it would never matter if they don't find you but I'm pretty sure if the other guy was caught, if it is fake money, that he will spill the beans that it was to buy your macbook.

Then the police would question why you wanted a money order when he obviously had cash to give you and you were face to face. They would say, "Hey, why did this dude want a money order when it was a face to face transaction? Money orders are more for mailing purpose..."

I mean, it might be a worse case scenerio but if I was the cashier tending the whole thing, I would be a bit concern about the whole situation.

I say, if you want to go through with the transaction. Go to a bank or post office and have them do the money order. I'm pretty damn sure that they check ALL their 20s, 50s, and 100s before accepting them, no matter what.

Powerbook

05-06-2008 09:13:00

Why would I tell them all about this? I just want to see if he can buy it successfully. I know Korea has rappers, I am not ignorant. I was just saying it is strange he went from saying he had a pending check to then saying a guy from Korea sent it incorrectly to him. That's why I am taking precautions. Thanks for the advice guys though. I will just see what happens today. If he is driving 50 minutes away from his place and doing this chances are it will go ok. If not, he doesn't get the laptop.

ESMcCready

05-06-2008 09:17:45

I hope everything goes ok for ya Powerbook and I wasn't calling your ingorant. I'm pretty sure I saw someone state in this post that they don't think anyone from Korea would need a rapper...

Maybe I read wrong...

Powerbook

05-06-2008 09:23:37

Yeah one of my comments could have been clarified more, " Part of me wants to believe this will work out, however something seems wrong. No one in Korea would be working with a rapper..." But, my first post said that it was all suspicious. No harm done.

samz465

05-06-2008 14:23:33

Congrats on the sale.

Powerbook

05-06-2008 14:25:31

Thanks, I am super happy. )