Any Jehovah's Witnesses here?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74793

cerivas

21-03-2008 22:12:27

Are you a Jahovah Witness or do you have any knowledge about them?

I have to write a research paper about a religion outside my personal belief system and I was just wondering if someone here (a Jahovah Witness) can help me out by answering some general questions.

My research paper has to be in anthropological terms (rituals, magic, alchemy etc) so I just need some basic information

Thanks

TravMan162

21-03-2008 22:51:48

I'm not poking fun, I really am curious, if you could pick a religion to speak about in terms of rituals, magic, alchemy and everything, why pick the Witnesses? I'm not knocking the religion at all, to each his own, but as far as those three points are concerned, there are religions that are much more interesting in those aspects. Were you just given the Witnesses and that's what you have to do, or were you allowed to pick?

puppeteer

21-03-2008 22:53:42

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

and it is Jehovah )

TravMan162

21-03-2008 22:54:20

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

This page has answers to all the questions you were asking about, by the way. (Figured if I was going to clutter your thread with posts, I might as well add something helpful D)

TravMan162

21-03-2008 22:54:59

[quote5659343fc5="puppeteer"]http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

and it is Jehovah )[/quote5659343fc5]

oh shit we posted the exact same thing at the exact same time haha

J4320

21-03-2008 23:42:16

What is this Wikipedia thing everyone is linking to?

puppeteer

22-03-2008 01:31:22

[quotecb06a6fd4b="J4320"]What is this Wikipedia thing everyone is linking to?[/quotecb06a6fd4b]

Click it and you shall be save today!

egyptianruin

22-03-2008 07:29:21

I dated a JW for three years - he ended up being disfellowshipped because he wasn't a good person. His sister had a bad accident and her parents (she was a minor) refused to let her have a blood transfusion which made the situation a lot worse because she was in critical condition. She lived though and ended up leaving the faith herself. His other four sisters however follow the faith. The one was dating a guy from the church and they were married 4 months later. On their first few dates they had a chaperon.

They didn't have any pictures of Jehovah in their house, or statues. No flags or anything of a national theme in their house. They were against war. They believed that 144,000 people would go to heaven. They had "elders" of the church who were believe to be one of the 144,000 to go with god, they were basically in charge of the church and were never woman. I found this confusing because I know their were more than 144,000 of them, lol. Armageddon was coming - it was just a matter of when, and if you weren't on their side you were part of a false religion (I was catholic at the time, now I am agnostic)

They believe you can be converted to the right side by their gospel - coming to your house and having you come to the Kingdom Hall (All Kingdom Halls look the same) - they have so many publications and books it would make your head spin.

Death wasn't really death it was like a slumber and when you were brought back at the time of judgment each man would get a parcel of land. They called this paradise.

I would also go to to the watchtower.org site and jw.org site and gather information right from the source. I always questioned them about evolution which they hated and didn't believe in, http//www.answerbag.com/q_view/40564 is their stance on dinosaurs. http//www.jwfacts.com/ is also useful.

cerivas

22-03-2008 20:34:55

Thank you very much.

Now I just need something else.
I was supposed to go a Kingdom Hall with this girl that I knowm from school, to have an idea of what they do every meeting, but I have to work and I will not be able to go, so if there is any JW here -> Can you please tell me what you do during a regular meeting at the Kingdom Hall (you can PM me if you want)

Like for example -> You go in, someone will be in the door to welcome you and to tell you where to sit, they give you a brochure or some kind of paper with a guideline of what they will do during that meeting, they pray or welcome each other, they sing, they talk, etc etc

Thank You

[quote05a6983eeb="egyptianruin"]I dated a JW for three years - he ended up being disfellowshipped because he wasn't a good person. His sister had a bad accident and her parents (she was a minor) refused to let her have a blood transfusion which made the situation a lot worse because she was in critical condition. She lived though and ended up leaving the faith herself. His other four sisters however follow the faith. The one was dating a guy from the church and they were married 4 months later. On their first few dates they had a chaperon.

They didn't have any pictures of Jehovah in their house, or statues. No flags or anything of a national theme in their house. They were against war. They believed that 144,000 people would go to heaven. They had "elders" of the church who were believe to be one of the 144,000 to go with god, they were basically in charge of the church and were never woman. I found this confusing because I know their were more than 144,000 of them, lol. Armageddon was coming - it was just a matter of when, and if you weren't on their side you were part of a false religion (I was catholic at the time, now I am agnostic)

They believe you can be converted to the right side by their gospel - coming to your house and having you come to the Kingdom Hall (All Kingdom Halls look the same) - they have so many publications and books it would make your head spin.

Death wasn't really death it was like a slumber and when you were brought back at the time of judgment each man would get a parcel of land. They called this paradise.

I would also go to to the watchtower.org site and jw.org site and gather information right from the source. I always questioned them about evolution which they hated and didn't believe in, http//www.answerbag.com/q_view/40564 is their stance on dinosaurs. http//www.jwfacts.com/ is also useful.[/quote05a6983eeb]

J4320

22-03-2008 21:01:13

Any Scientologists?

JordanE

23-03-2008 00:46:21

Honestly cerivas, I am pretty sure egyptianruin is going be the most experienced with person with the JW faith on FiPG given that she dated one for three years. I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.

Good luck with your research dude.

Requiem

23-03-2008 11:50:34

I actually do have a friend that is Jehovah's Witness. I myself am not (Baptist), but if you'd like, you can send me a list of questions and I can ask them to her.

ajasax

23-03-2008 13:49:09

My mom has told me stories of some relatives that were JW. They don't celebrate birthdays, sadly. Also, during Christmas or Easter the mother would scold the kids [bacf4df2a63]not[/bacf4df2a63] to touch any Christmas (etc.) related things.

ilanbg

23-03-2008 13:55:30

[quoted771c8206d="JordanE"] I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.[/quoted771c8206d]

If we did, we'd be getting PMs at seven in the morning on Saturdays, asking us if we have a moment to talk about Jesus...

TravMan162

23-03-2008 16:11:03

[quote2d8b01b310="ilanbg"][quote2d8b01b310="JordanE"] I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.[/quote2d8b01b310]

If we did, we'd be getting PMs at seven in the morning on Saturdays, asking us if we have a moment to talk about Jesus...[/quote2d8b01b310]

hahaha oh my god, yeah but only if we were trying to do something at 7, like work on our house or, you know, sleep.

madmanx33

23-03-2008 19:13:34

[quotebb817e0a70="egyptianruin"]I dated a JW for three years - he ended up being disfellowshipped because he wasn't a good person. His sister had a bad accident and her parents (she was a minor) refused to let her have a blood transfusion which made the situation a lot worse because she was in critical condition. She lived though and ended up leaving the faith herself. His other four sisters however follow the faith. The one was dating a guy from the church and they were married 4 months later. On their first few dates they had a chaperon.

I would also go to to the watchtower.org site and jw.org site and gather information right from the source. I always questioned them about evolution which they hated and didn't believe in, http//www.answerbag.com/q_view/40564 is their stance on dinosaurs. http//www.jwfacts.com/ is also useful.[/quotebb817e0a70]

Im not poking fun but how can you believe that only 144,000 go to heaven. Out of all the billions of people today and billions who have died only 144,000 get to make it. Sorry don't buy that

J4320

23-03-2008 19:44:05

Stop saying, "I'm not trying to bash here or be mean but..." You guys are pussies. If it's absurd then just point it out. I'm not saying to name call or attack the person, but srsly, there is nothing wrong with pointing out incongruous thought. (Yes, I'm partly talking to you, Travman. ;) )

TravMan162

23-03-2008 19:50:31

[quoteaf62d95947="J4320"]Stop saying, "I'm not trying to bash here or be mean but..." You guys are pussies. If it's absurd then just point it out. I'm not saying to name call or attack the person, but srsly, there is nothing wrong with pointing out incongruous thought. (Yes, I'm partly talking to you, Travman. ;) )[/quoteaf62d95947]

haha me? wow, i didn't realize i was being such a pussy about it. i just do that to cover my ass when I really really want to be a dick but don't want to get banned for it haha. But I guess you have a point, the only time I do that is when I'm pointing out how ridiculously dumb someone is being. This day of March 23 starts a new beginning. If you are being an idiot, I'm not going to apologize for bashing, i'm just going to straight up tell you that you are indeed an idiot.

god it feels good to be honest D

egyptianruin

23-03-2008 21:36:55

[quote52a62694ec="cerivas"]Thank you very much.

Now I just need something else.
I was supposed to go a Kingdom Hall with this girl that I knowm from school, to have an idea of what they do every meeting, but I have to work and I will not be able to go, so if there is any JW here -> Can you please tell me what you do during a regular meeting at the Kingdom Hall (you can PM me if you want)

Like for example -> You go in, someone will be in the door to welcome you and to tell you where to sit, they give you a brochure or some kind of paper with a guideline of what they will do during that meeting, they pray or welcome each other, they sing, they talk, etc etc

Thank You[/quote52a62694ec]

The "meetings" I have been to is kinda like regular church. People don't really greet you at the door, you walk in and you know people - usually people don't just show up at a Kingdom Hall they are invited by the people who knock on your doors and welcome you to their faith. They come to your house first (usually) to answer questions and read the bible with you and have you read their introductory booklet on the faith. When I went to one, they read articles from the watch tower - talked about false religion, elders spoke and everyone went home - they went to the Kingdom Hall A LOT though, like many times a week to visit with each other in groups and set out to spread the word. Kingdom Halls are pews inside, a speaking stand and no alter - they offer prayer to the sick of their group and in the back there is a library of reading materials you can obtain for free. Overall it's pretty bare inside, nothing fancy. I don't remember if we sang or not but I don't think we did. I went to a huge JW meeting once with my BF at the time - it was JW's from all over the East Coast. I got yelled at by my BF's family because my skirt was only to my knees. Seems wearing short skirts is distracting from the eyes of Jehovah.

AsuraRain

23-03-2008 23:35:27

[quoteac25a2a3b5="ilanbg"][quoteac25a2a3b5="JordanE"] I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.[/quoteac25a2a3b5]

If we did, we'd be getting PMs at seven in the morning on Saturdays, asking us if we have a moment to talk about Jesus...[/quoteac25a2a3b5]
So true. Religion...
I think the problem with religion is the modern church.

madmanx33

24-03-2008 00:59:58

A little side note Did you know the Vatican owns Rolex?

tjwor

24-03-2008 05:26:42

[quotec0c08805c1="TravMan162"][quotec0c08805c1="puppeteer"]http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

and it is Jehovah )[/quotec0c08805c1]

oh shit we posted the exact same thing at the exact same time haha[/quotec0c08805c1]

just for future reference, there is a way say something without double posting...

http//i47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/tjwor1987/Editing.jpg[" alt=""/imgc0c08805c1]

just a thought shrug

ilanbg

24-03-2008 07:30:56

[quote584a6af754="AsuraRain"][quote584a6af754="ilanbg"][quote584a6af754="JordanE"] I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.[/quote584a6af754]

If we did, we'd be getting PMs at seven in the morning on Saturdays, asking us if we have a moment to talk about Jesus...[/quote584a6af754]
So true. Religion...
I think the problem with religion is the modern church.[/quote584a6af754]

Religion has had the same problem since its conception...

Which is that it is influenced by current events... which I think proves in and of itself that religion cares more about maintaining influence and power than in upholding its virtues of lives past.

madmanx33

24-03-2008 13:04:47

[quote263adc1033="ilanbg"][quote263adc1033="AsuraRain"][quote263adc1033="ilanbg"][quote263adc1033="JordanE"] I highly doubt we have any witnesses here.[/quote263adc1033]

If we did, we'd be getting PMs at seven in the morning on Saturdays, asking us if we have a moment to talk about Jesus...[/quote263adc1033]
So true. Religion...
I think the problem with religion is the modern church.[/quote263adc1033]

Religion has had the same problem since its conception...

Which is that it is influenced by current events... which I think proves in and of itself that religion cares more about maintaining influence and power than in upholding its virtues of lives past.[/quote263adc1033]

The catholic church comes into mind after reading that, but it doesnt apply to all types of religions. Im Orthodox and we still stick to the same rituals as they did thousands of years ago. Also my church has never once asked for a donation! Iv been to churches where they always ask you at the end, I just hate that

ilanbg

24-03-2008 15:05:51

[quote15d46cf58c="madmanx33"]The catholic church comes into mind after reading that, but it doesnt apply to all types of religions. Im Orthodox and we still stick to the same rituals as they did thousands of years ago. Also my church has never once asked for a donation! Iv been to churches where they always ask you at the end, I just hate that[/quote15d46cf58c]

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Eastern_Orthodox_Church[]http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Eastern_Orthodox_Church

A very, very brief overview of the ways your church has changed and influenced its beliefs based on what was happening in the world around them.

As I see it, if the word of God is eternal, nothing in history should influence religious belief. But it so obviously does... that's my greatest problem with religion. Believe in God if you want; but don't mix it in with your sociological upbringing. That's just begging for biases that basically, in the end, mean "God believes what I believe."

mookieb2

26-03-2008 08:18:36

ilanbg,

I don't know that you're being totally fair. Since the church (all encompassing term here, not just meant for any one religion) is run by people who live in current times, even though they are to hold to ancient traditions and rituals and such, you will never cease to be influenced by modern culture and the things happening around you. I think change and moldability are key for churches to remain relevant.

Full Disclosure here
I'm a minister, and in my church we constantly change the things we do (programs, song services, the actual songs we sing, etc.) so that we can meet the needs of our current congregation and the people around us. our goal is to show them God and that He matters in their lives, and we use whatever contemporary means we can to get that message out. Its far from keeping power and more about helping people find truth in their everyday lives.

Hope this makes sense.

Jason

tucker1003

26-03-2008 20:17:13

Zealot#2 Hello, we'd like you to have this flower from the
religious consciousness church, would you like
to make a donation?
???????? No thanks, we gave at the office.

-Airplane

TravMan162

26-03-2008 20:19:35

[quotefbbaa68b99="tucker1003"]Zealot#2 Hello, we'd like you to have this flower from the
religious consciousness church, would you like
to make a donation?
???????? No thanks, we gave at the office.

-Airplane[/quotefbbaa68b99]

I've had three of these people knock on my door this week. I'm not knocking the religion or anyone in it, but this door to door bullshit has got to stop. I'm not interested, I don't want to talk about the book, I don't want you to come in my house, get off my back.

doylnea

27-03-2008 09:45:04

I fixed your title. It was killing me.

Twon

27-03-2008 10:42:28

Organized religion is the greatest tragedy that the human race has ever faced.