Are you too busy for family & friends.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74690

LLee93

18-03-2008 08:11:34

This was sent to me yesterday. I know it's kinda long, but it has a great message. I just wanted to share it.

One day a teacher asked her students to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name.

Then she told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down.

It took the remainder of the class period to finish their assignment, and as the students left the room, each one handed in the papers.

That Saturday, the teacher wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and listed what everyone else had said about that individual.

On Monday she gave each student his or her list. Before long, the entire class was smiling. "Really?" she heard whispered. "I never knew that I meant anything to anyone!" and, "I didn't know others liked me so much," were most of the comments.

No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. She never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn't matter. The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another. That group of students moved on.

Several years later, one of the students was killed inVietNam and his teacher attended the funeral of that special student. She had never seen a serviceman in a military coffin before. He looked so handsome, so mature.

The church was packed with his friends. One by one those who loved him took a last walk by the coffin. The teacher was the last one to bless the coffin.

As she stood there, one of the soldiers who acted as pallbearer came up to her. "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he asked. She nodded "yes." Then he said "Mark talked about you a lot."

After the funeral, most of Mark's former classmates went together to a luncheon. Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting to speak with his teacher.

"We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his pocket "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might recognize it."

Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of notebook paper that had obviously been taped, folded and refolded many times. The teacher knew without looking that the papers were the ones on which she had listed all the good things each of Mark's classmates had said about him.

"Thank you so much for doing that," Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it."

All of Mark's former classmates started to gather around. Charlie smiled rather sheepishly and said, "I still have my list. It's in the top drawer of my desk at home."

Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put his in our wedding album."

"I have mine too," Marilyn said. "It's in my diary"

Then Vicki, another classmate, reached into her pocketbook, took out her wallet and showed her worn and frazzled list to the group. "I carry this with me at all times," Vicki said and without batting an eyelash, she continued "I think we all saved our lists"

That's when the teacher finally sat down and cried. She cried for Mark and for all his friends who would never see him again.

The density of people in society is so thick that we forget that life will end one day. And we don't know when that one day will be.

So please, tell the people you love and care for, that they are special and important. Tell them, before it is too late.

This reminded me of two stories. Right before I had my accident my sister & I had got into an argument. I remember her telling me how much that bothered her because if I had died that would have been her last memory of me. That thought still chokes me up today.

Just recently I watched a show about new country singer Luke Bryan. He told this story about his sister. He woke up one night about 5am & for some reason, text his sister that he loved her. When he woke up later, he saw that she had text him back that she loved him. That was the last he every heard from his sister. She died that day of an undiagnosed heart ailment.

Take time to let those you love know it because none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

Requiem

18-03-2008 15:06:39

This story is fascinating. It's truly touching and I feel like the density is thickening. People just don't care about others as they should, and one day, when that person is gone, they won't get to say what they wanted to say to them before they passed on.

Good post.

LLee93

18-03-2008 15:30:56

[quote23fd50b735="Requiem"]This story is fascinating. It's truly touching and I feel like the density is thickening. People just don't care about others as they should, and one day, when that person is gone, they won't get to say what they wanted to say to them before they passed on.

Good post.[/quote23fd50b735]

You're exactly right. Sadly I almost learned that lesson the hard way. Now, I'm one man that has no problem expressing my feelings to those I care about.

zdub08

18-03-2008 15:40:36

chain mail worthy

EatChex89

18-03-2008 15:47:44

[quote618b77a08a="zdub08"]chain mail worthy[/quote618b77a08a]

yes.

I sent this out on Facebook, Myspace, and e-mail. I also put in a superstitious death threat. So, enjoy.

good2speed

18-03-2008 15:53:12

[quote39373f2967="EatChex89"][quote39373f2967="zdub08"]chain mail worthy[/quote39373f2967]

yes.

I sent this out on Facebook, Myspace, and e-mail. I also put in a superstitious death threat. So, enjoy.[/quote39373f2967]

lets trun this thread into saying something nice about the person above us. Awww

EatChex he has a weird avatar of some kiddie stuff. The guy eats chex like no one else. He's the man

TravMan162

18-03-2008 15:59:22

[quoteec5e4d7527="good2speed"][quoteec5e4d7527="EatChex89"][quoteec5e4d7527="zdub08"]chain mail worthy[/quoteec5e4d7527]

yes.

I sent this out on Facebook, Myspace, and e-mail. I also put in a superstitious death threat. So, enjoy.[/quoteec5e4d7527]

lets trun this thread into saying something nice about the person above us. Awww

EatChex he has a weird avatar of some kiddie stuff. The guy eats chex like no one else. He's the man[/quoteec5e4d7527]

Good2Speed may have to try really hard to say something nice about EatChex, but in the end, he means well and it's the thought that counts )

Nah, he's a good guy and he's given me some pretty good advice on some of my threads. Definitely a valuable asset to FiPG.

Ha, it's not so bad being nice once in awhile. Can't wait for Z-Dub's post

Requiem

18-03-2008 16:02:32

LLee your experience has truly inspired me in a multitude of ways, whether it's been through becoming a better person or even becoming a better Christian, every bit of your story is pure gold.

Travman is a super nice guy =D

zdub08

18-03-2008 16:02:34

trav has soft hands

edit someone always posts (literally) seconds before me in these talk-about-the-person-above-you threads.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:04:01

[quote575a3f5a9f="Requiem"]This story is fascinating. It's truly touching and I feel like the density is thickening. People just don't care about others as they should, and one day, when that person is gone, they won't get to say what they wanted to say to them before they passed on.

Good post.[/quote575a3f5a9f]

as if death is something new. Its not a 20th century phenomenon. People have beeen dying since human inception. Sorry if I cant express my true feelings to the one's I love, on a daily bazsis, but they know I love em. Sometimes actions speak louder then words.

People die and you move on. You try to keep the good memories alive of the ones you cared about. Honestly if someone close to me pisses me off, I will let them know about it. IF they happen to die shortly after that then so be it. The universe has its own order of working things out.

Just dont become a hateful and spiteful person. Even if someone pisses you off there are ways to go about correcting the issue. If you are a yeller stop yelling. Otherwise contructive debate should always happen. If you can't compromise with someone you care about then you will always have differences and it really doesnt matter how often you tell them you really love them.

EatChex89

18-03-2008 16:07:15

[quote3468f1f8fb="good2speed"][quote3468f1f8fb="Requiem"]This story is fascinating. It's truly touching and I feel like the density is thickening. People just don't care about others as they should, and one day, when that person is gone, they won't get to say what they wanted to say to them before they passed on.

Good post.[/quote3468f1f8fb]

as if death is something new. Its not a 20th century phenomenon. People have beeen dying since human inception. Sorry if I cant express my true feelings to the one's I love, on a daily bazsis, but they know I love em. Sometimes actions speak louder then words.

People die and you move on. You try to keep the good memories alive of the ones you cared about. Honestly if someone close to me pisses me off, I will let them know about it. IF they happen to die shortly after that then so be it. The universe has its own order of working things out.

Just dont become a hateful and spiteful person. Even if someone pisses you off there are ways to go about correcting the issue. If you are a yeller stop yelling. Otherwise contructive debate should always happen. If you can't compromise with someone you care about then you will always have differences and it really doesnt matter how often you tell them you really love them.[/quote3468f1f8fb]

good2speed only has love in his heart. [b3468f1f8fb]<3333333333333333333333[/size3468f1f8fb][/color3468f1f8fb]
[/b3468f1f8fb]
thank you for all you do, sir.

let's just face it. death is the one thing in life that makes us love each other.

oh. and valentine's day too.

TravMan162

18-03-2008 16:07:33

zdub may be misunderstood with his being here a year and a half with only 19 karma, but I believe that, despite being an e-Thug, he is a gentle soul that wouldn't hurt a fly. He's a big teddy bear who has a weakness for soft hands, awwww. What a guy ;)

Ha, I don't know enough about you to say anything suppppeeeeerrrrrr nice, but I do know that half your posts actually make me laugh out loud, so I guess I can say that you're a pretty funny dude. And to clarify, that is Pretty AND Funny

Requiem

18-03-2008 16:08:43

I just can't find it in myself to be mean to people. I would feel awful being mean, and then that person die.

TravMan162

18-03-2008 16:11:28

[quote3413be2669="Requiem"]I just can't find it in myself to be mean to people. I would feel awful being mean, and then that person die.[/quote3413be2669]

ha, i believe you just posted in the "make fun of the person above you" thread D D D

I agree with you, I just like poking fun at people around these parts, I'm just playing around with anyone, I can't remember the last time I've said something with the intention of hurting someone's feelings. It's not right.

Requiem

18-03-2008 16:13:54

Yeah, I mean, occasionally I'll joke around with people, and they joke back, but we're joking. But going after someone with malice, and intentionally wanting to hurt their feeling, is terrible. I'd feel awful if they committed suicide or something. And it's hard to judge a person. Some people don't wear their feelings on the outside.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:18:54

I can be mean at a given notice. I was born and raised in NY. In NY you have to have a mean streak or you're gonna get eaten by the sharks.

I try not to be mean to the ones I care about but everyone else is fair game. Its become part of my dna.

I did enjoy living and working on the left coast after college, however. They are really nice out there and laid back. Kind of a culture shock. I remember walking into a gas stop once and the clerk just said 'Hi, good morning". He caught me off guard as I was wondering why this guy was being so nice.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:24:23

disclaimer

let me add that I dont walk around looking for people to pick on.

Requiem

18-03-2008 16:25:24

I'm from the South, so generally we have that Southern hospitality. However, that's not to say that the North didn't bring us knowledge because they definitely did.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:32:17

[quote6fe26884a7="Requiem"]I'm from the South, so generally we have that Southern hospitality. However, that's not to say that the North didn't bring us knowledge because they definitely did.[/quote6fe26884a7]

man if your in hollwood, Fl that may geographically be south but it doesn't provide that 'southerrn hospitality'. Not to say you're not a nice person because you do come off as being nice. South Florida is like mini NY. bunch of dheads and glassbowls out there.

Requiem

18-03-2008 16:34:36

No I actually live in GA, I just put Hollywood as my location.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:37:12

[quote0fb4dea7d1="Requiem"]No I actually live in GA, I just put Hollywood as my location.[/quote0fb4dea7d1]

k.. thx for the clarification.

goof

18-03-2008 16:44:29

I remember doing this in a class once. I didn't save my list s

TravMan162

18-03-2008 16:45:51

ha, turning this thread into that didn't last very long

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:51:14

[quotec2cce90634="goof"]I remember doing this in a class once. I didn't save my list s[/quotec2cce90634]
Ya I would only expect bad things to come of this. Especially if you could hand a list in anonymously. The teacher may figure who said what by deduction(ie; the person who wasn't written on each paper handed in would be the author for each page handed in). That info wouldnt be passed on to the student but the teacher may hold it against said student.

The entire list would also need a severe filter after the 4th grade. I could only imagine and laugh what me and classmates wouldve wrote in jest once in MS.

good2speed

18-03-2008 16:55:00

Another disclaimer -

Ive been in 3 classes were the students made a tenured teacher retire and/or have a nervous breakdown. I sure wasn't the one who pushed em over the edge, but I just want to give you an idea of the type of kids I grew up with.

TravMan162

18-03-2008 16:59:03

[quote9e51d6dcf9="good2speed"]Another disclaimer -

Ive been in 3 classes were the students made a tenured teacher retire and/or have a nervous breakdown. I sure wasn't the one who pushed em over the edge, but I just want to give you an idea of the type of kids I grew up with.[/quote9e51d6dcf9]

ha i had that same thing happen. she had no control whatsoever and consequently had a breakdown. the thing that set her over the edge

in one corner of the room was a hookup between a floozie and a football player

in the other corner, the dork got choked unconscious by the really tall goth kid.

good2speed

18-03-2008 17:04:25

[quote58645a7f7a="TravMan162"][quote58645a7f7a="good2speed"]Another disclaimer -

Ive been in 3 classes were the students made a tenured teacher retire and/or have a nervous breakdown. I sure wasn't the one who pushed em over the edge, but I just want to give you an idea of the type of kids I grew up with.[/quote58645a7f7a]

ha i had that same thing happen. she had no control whatsoever and consequently had a breakdown. the thing that set her over the edge

in one corner of the room was a hookup between a floozie and a football player

in the other corner, the dork got choked unconscious by the really tall goth kid.[/quote58645a7f7a]

lol. Classic American HS.

Requiem

18-03-2008 17:10:46

[quote7f2c4cd8d8="good2speed"][quote7f2c4cd8d8="goof"]I remember doing this in a class once. I didn't save my list s[/quote7f2c4cd8d8]
Ya I would only expect bad things to come of this. Especially if you could hand a list in anonymously. The teacher may figure who said what by deduction(ie; the person who wasn't written on each paper handed in would be the author for each page handed in). That info wouldnt be passed on to the student but the teacher may hold it against said student.

The entire list would also need a severe filter after the 4th grade. I could only imagine and laugh what me and classmates wouldve wrote in jest once in MS.[/quote7f2c4cd8d8]

That was the density that I was talking about in society today. Whatever happened to nice and respectful children? Teachers don't do enough to intervene and teach them respect in my opinion. I believe that this exercise would be wonderful and would work in a variety of circumstances. If a student wanted to be disrespectful, he or she should be given a zero for the assignment. This assignment was not designed for that. Also, I believe schools need to do more to prevent bullying. I feel like that is why a multitude of teens commit suicide nowadays. We have to prevent that by implementing this early.

good2speed

18-03-2008 17:17:09

[quote3f5f44e2c8="Requiem"][quote3f5f44e2c8="good2speed"][quote3f5f44e2c8="goof"]I remember doing this in a class once. I didn't save my list s[/quote3f5f44e2c8]

The entire list would also need a severe filter after the 4th grade. I could only imagine and laugh what me and classmates wouldve wrote in jest once in MS.[/quote3f5f44e2c8]

That was the density that I was talking about in society today. Whatever happened to nice and respectful children? Teachers don't do enough to intervene and teach them respect in my opinion. I believe that this exercise would be wonderful and would work in a variety of circumstances. If a student wanted to be disrespectful, he or she should be given a zero for the assignment. This assignment was not designed for that. Also, I believe schools need to do more to prevent bullying. I feel like that is why a multitude of teens commit suicide nowadays. We have to prevent that by implementing this early.[/quote3f5f44e2c8]

I dont think its the teachers its the kids. Sure some teachers suck but every student should want to learn at some point in their life. A lot of teachers have to force feed children to do work. Obviously its the teachers job to provide that motivation but after a while it has to be the student's job or at the very least the parents responsibility to make sure work gets done. It the parents in my opinion.

Teachers may be responsible for 25+ students at a time. Thats hard management. Try managing 25 people at work.

Requiem

18-03-2008 17:22:09

Oh I know. We need to shorten our class sizes as well and offer incentives for becoming teachers. Parents also need to rise up and help their children. They should ensure that their children are completing schoolwork, behaving properly, etc. Otherwise, you aren't doing your job as a parent.

tracemhunter

24-03-2008 08:03:20

[quotee5e9a765ee="good2speed"]Another disclaimer -

Ive been in 3 classes were the students made a tenured teacher retire and/or have a nervous breakdown. I sure wasn't the one who pushed em over the edge, but I just want to give you an idea of the type of kids I grew up with.[/quotee5e9a765ee]

When I moved to the city I saw this happen as well but not when I lived in a small town. In a small town if you disrespect the teacher he/she would take you out into the hall and beat your ass with a paddle (with holes for wind resistance reasons). This is how it should be. None of that time out, three checks on the chalkboard crap that I saw when I moved to the city.