I need help, getting an engagment Ring!!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74323

tucker1003

06-03-2008 17:48:53

Hey everyone it is that time where I want to get the ring and make the commitment. I just found out I'm getting nil from uncle sam, so any trading you can do with me is appreciated. but I also need to learn more about buying a ring. Any help would be great!

TryinToGetPaid

06-03-2008 17:50:23

Only spend what you can afford. I spent 1600 on my girls 1 carat -- make sure you shop around and find a good jeweler.

Twon

06-03-2008 17:56:44

I spent $600. lol I'm a cheap ass...

Here's my advice.... DON'T DO IT!!!!

theysayjump

06-03-2008 18:04:29

It's not about the cost, it's about the meaning.

I spent about $60 (sixty) on my wife's and before that I got her an engagement ring from a $0.25 kids vending machine (seriously).

You don't have to spend a fortune on her unless she's a spoiled, materialistic kinda woman. Just spend something that you feel is comfortable and the gesture in itself should mean more to her than cost of it.

tucker1003

06-03-2008 18:08:41

Them are some sweet words theysay. You got me in tears

doylnea

06-03-2008 20:56:24

What are you asking for? Advice on how to pick a diamond, how much to spend, where to buy a diamond, etc?

KeithA

07-03-2008 05:59:22

I think the "how much to spend" thing has been pretty well answered. Depending on where you live and who you associate with, it can be kinda difficult to let go of the stupid "two months salary" type guidelines, but those exist only for the benefit of the diamond industry.

That said, I would be interested to hear others' thoughts and experiences on

1) How to tactfully ask what kind of ring appeals to her without totally blowing up your spot
2) Whether online retailers like bluenile.com and ice.com are trustworthy and really more affordable
3) Any diamond dealer tricks/scams to look out for, if any

Those are the biggest questions I have at the moment...

manOFice

07-03-2008 06:31:03

[quote692e4bca22="KeithA"]I think the "how much to spend" thing has been pretty well answered. Depending on where you live and who you associate with, it can be kinda difficult to let go of the stupid "two months salary" type guidelines, but those exist only for the benefit of the diamond industry.

That said, I would be interested to hear others' thoughts and experiences on

1) How to tactfully ask what kind of ring appeals to her without totally blowing up your spot
2) Whether online retailers like bluenile.com and ice.com are trustworthy and really more affordable
3) Any diamond dealer tricks/scams to look out for, if any

Those are the biggest questions I have at the moment...[/quote692e4bca22]

I got my wifes engangement ring for like 400 bucks, it's just what she wanted, she finds the large rings very tacky.

Then for xmas I got her a nice diamond ring from ice.com and was very impressed with the quality and I got a super deal on it ;)

bballp6699

07-03-2008 09:43:38

I paid $700 for mine, but I was a stupid 18 year old that worked for minimum wage at the time.

pqdrummer

07-03-2008 10:00:57

Know the 4 Cs of diamonds. Cut, clarity, carat, and color. And know which is more important to the two of you. Don't buy ANYTHING the first time you see it. I don't care how much you like it. Ask to look at it under a loupe (magnifier). If they say no, walk out. I spent over $2k on my fiancee's ring. I could have gotten something at least twice the size for the same price, but the one I got is virtually flawless and sparkles like a mofo under any light.

TryinToGetPaid

07-03-2008 10:17:59

Was "sparkles like a mofo" a selling point the jeweler used?

sandra habina

07-03-2008 10:22:22

Take her to a jewelry store or two and find out what she likes. That way you know gold or silver or platinum. Do not go crazy - money is spent better elsewhere when you are just starting out. My first engagement ring was a tiny diamond (called a friendship ring $40) and I picked it out. I knew our situation and felt it was silly to get a huge diamond and go broke paying for it for months. Then for my 10th wedding anniversary - I got a bigger beautiful diamond set. It was like $700 and I still love it today - 22 years later.

Go to a reputable jewelry store and take your time. Compare - more $ does not always mean better. Best of Luck Tucker

pqdrummer

07-03-2008 10:26:21

[quotef347dc9259="TryinToGetPaid"]Was "sparkles like a mofo" a selling point the jeweler used?[/quotef347dc9259]

ummm......no. The salesperson was actually quite professional. No aggressive sales pitch. No upselling. Just showed us what we asked for and let us make the decisions.

ilanbg

07-03-2008 12:24:45

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the coolest hero.

TravMan162

07-03-2008 13:18:21

i've noticed lately, maybe i'm wrong, but it seems that women aren't as concerned with the size of their diamond like they used to be. maybe i just grew up thinking that women wanted a big ring and now that i see the reality of it, that might not be the case, but i've heard a lot about getting less expensive rings and saving the money for something more important.

if i were to shop for a ring, i would definitely try to get some info on what features she likes, maybe talk to a sister or something, and SHOP AROUND. those people can be pushy without being pushy, meaning they have a way of getting you to by things in a real subtle manner. just make sure whatever you spend, the money spent is suitable for the diamond you are getting.

i'm sure you knew all that, but i tried haha D

congratulations by the way, that's awesome, i'm happy for you )

manOFice

07-03-2008 13:24:22

[quote2df68d79e5="TravMan162"]i've noticed lately, maybe i'm wrong, but it seems that women aren't as concerned with the size of their diamond like they used to be. maybe i just grew up thinking that women wanted a big ring and now that i see the reality of it, that might not be the case, but i've heard a lot about getting less expensive rings and saving the money for something more important.

if i were to shop for a ring, i would definitely try to get some info on what features she likes, maybe talk to a sister or something, and SHOP AROUND. those people can be pushy without being pushy, meaning they have a way of getting you to by things in a real subtle manner. just make sure whatever you spend, the money spent is suitable for the diamond you are getting.

i'm sure you knew all that, but i tried haha D

congratulations by the way, that's awesome, i'm happy for you )[/quote2df68d79e5]

I maybe out of line saying this... but women who "need" a large dimond are stuck up..

Like someone else said follow the C's.. A diamond that sparkles a mile away but smaller is way more impressive then a dull large diamond. I'm just saying this in general not towards anyone.

TravMan162

07-03-2008 13:44:25

[quote4343b45dea="manOFice"]

I maybe out of line saying this... but women who "need" a large dimond are stuck up..[/quote4343b45dea]

that's what i was getting at, but i didn't want to offend anyone

in this state of financial despair, cheap rings and weddings should be assumed.

i personally think cheap weddings are more fun than those big extravagant ones anyway.

Berky34

07-03-2008 13:47:02

[quote7d19a85f6d="TravMan162"][quote7d19a85f6d="manOFice"]

I maybe out of line saying this... but women who "need" a large dimond are stuck up..[/quote7d19a85f6d]

i personally think cheap weddings are more fun than those big extravagant ones anyway.[/quote7d19a85f6d]
spending $5000 and $50,000 on a wedding gets you just as married...

TravMan162

07-03-2008 13:49:37

[quoteaa3927c024="Berky34"][quoteaa3927c024="TravMan162"][quoteaa3927c024="manOFice"]

I maybe out of line saying this... but women who "need" a large dimond are stuck up..[/quoteaa3927c024]

i personally think cheap weddings are more fun than those big extravagant ones anyway.[/quoteaa3927c024]
spending $5000 and $50,000 on a wedding gets you just as married...[/quoteaa3927c024]

that's what i'm saying, but unfortunately, women grow up with these ideas in their heads of what their wedding will be like and sometimes that's a hard idea to shake.

ladies and gentlemen, do the world a favor and teach your young daughters the value of a dollar instead of the extravagancies of a "perfect" wedding.........

and tucker's thread is officially off track. I apologize.

JKirk

08-03-2008 15:47:38

Better go to Jared's.

zr2152

08-03-2008 16:19:20

[quote7b21a3a305="JKirk"]Better go to Jared's.[/quote7b21a3a305]

Everyone knows that every kiss begins with Kay.

egyptianruin

08-03-2008 19:40:22

My husband spent $1500 on mine and I don't even wear it - I even lost my wedding ring three time because I have to take it off to do sculpture so I don't wear a band anymore. It's really not about the money at all. Get what you can afford, don't put yourself into debt for it and later on if you want to upgrade, do it )

good2speed

09-03-2008 09:52:10

Would it be wrong to buy a ring with freebie money? There should be a DIY site for certain engagement rings. You'd have to explain to your fiancee however that you can't propose for another 6 months or so(processing time). Tell her all the problems you are having getting the last offer to credit.

pqdrummer

09-03-2008 13:25:11

[quote00413461f4="good2speed"]Would it be wrong to buy a ring with freebie money? There should be a DIY site for certain engagement rings. You'd have to explain to your fiancee however that you can't propose for another 6 months or so(processing time). Tell her all the problems you are having getting the last offer to credit.[/quote00413461f4]

If I'm not mistaken, there's already a site with rings. I forget which one though.

csullivan1@rochester.rr.c

11-03-2008 13:25:24

My brother spent $4K on my sister-in-law's engagement ring and she only wears in "on special occasions"...my fiance spent under $200 on mine and it hasn't come off of my finger since i got it last September. It's exactly what I wanted...and has a HUGE piece of coal (or something black) in it....that you can only see if you're looking at it. I figure, without that flaw, I wouldn't know it's mine!!!

But I agree with the talking to a sister thing. If you have a sister or she has a sister.....get some info via that route...that's how mine did it!!!!

tjwor

11-03-2008 15:42:19

i've heard that the rule of thumb is 15% of your annual income... I'm gonna get engaged before I have a job shrug

csullivan1@rochester.rr.c

11-03-2008 15:52:34

[quote3144bb5306="tjwor"]i've heard that the rule of thumb is 15% of your annual income... I'm gonna get engaged before I have a job shrug[/quote3144bb5306]

I've heard 1 month's salary...which may be close to the same thing wink