Music Production

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74174

EatChex89

01-03-2008 13:18:27

Anyone here do any music producing and have any tips for someone who can never seem to finish a song?

P

Also your equipment too. I'm producing on a mac mini and m-audio external sound card with DP 5, Reason 4, and a Kurzweil keyboard!

TravMan162

01-03-2008 19:22:55

sorry, can't help you there, but i'm a drummer, do you play an instrument or do you strictly do the technical stuff?

i love talking music with other drummers and such if you get bored sometime

TryinToGetPaid

02-03-2008 08:45:40

I noticed you post a lot in threads and start it with sorry, can't help you there

TravMan162

02-03-2008 09:39:56

yeah usually i just like the topic and like getting involved in the conversation. especially this one, i love talking music with people and this is the first thread i've seen on the topic. although i can't help with the technical gear, i do like talking about the subject in general.

haha why's everyone always up my ass about what i say???

Jeremiah1218

02-03-2008 12:18:49

[quote84f025286b="TryinToGetPaid"]I noticed you post a lot in threads and start it with sorry, can't help you there[/quote84f025286b]

I noticed you post a lot in threads and talk shit about everyone and everything possible...so whose worse? ?.....at least Travman for the most part has something to say thats in line with the topic of the thread.

TryinToGetPaid

02-03-2008 12:32:27

Talk shit about everyone? Negative. I have only talked "shit" to a couple of people on this board, and I think if I had talked shit about everyone, I probably would have been shown the door by now.

Talk shit about everything? Negative.

"at least Travman for the most part has something to say thats in line with the topic of the thread."
Because talking about selling your DVDs , when the thread is about shelving is totally almost on the topic.
http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=779842&highlight=#779842

And just to talk "shit" to you

You can now go back to rubbing his back with essential oils.

TravMan162

02-03-2008 12:37:42

[quote439f8d5979="EatChex89"]Anyone here do any music producing and have any tips for someone who can never seem to finish a song?

P

Also your equipment too. I'm producing on a mac mini and m-audio external sound card with DP 5, Reason 4, and a Kurzweil keyboard![/quote439f8d5979]

my brother's best friend has a studio and his stuff sounds really really good. he actually went to school for it, plus his dad is rich so he as all the great equipment. if you can give me some specific questions (as not knowing anything about this, your post wouldn't allow me to ask intelligent questions) I'll run them by him and see what he says...

you can PM me if you want too there seems to be some hostility in this thread.

CollidgeGraduit

02-03-2008 12:44:39

Knock off the bickering, seriously.

Veek

02-03-2008 12:53:57

Some people...

zdub08

02-03-2008 13:09:25

you know they can't believe - jamaica we have a bobsled team

J4320

02-03-2008 13:32:13

Jeeeeeeeez people. Honestly, Travman is a cool member. I don't know why everyone nitpicks him all of the time. n00bs... It's kind of funny how he's been the most helpful person in this thread and everyone else's posts (including this one) haven't contributed to anything.

CollidgeGraduit

02-03-2008 14:11:05

Drop it everyone. If you can't post on the topic of the thread, don't post at all.

EatChex89

02-03-2008 15:32:08

Damn. I was so excited to see 11 replies.

You guys all ruined my day! '(

@travie - tips in general would be cool, how to come up with ideas for creating a song, etc. etc. What he does for inspiration? That sort of thing D

akalic

02-03-2008 16:21:57

whats a good program to produce synthesized drum beats?

TravMan162

02-03-2008 16:30:32

[quote4b5e7aa941="EatChex89"]Damn. I was so excited to see 11 replies.

You guys all ruined my day! '(

@travie - tips in general would be cool, how to come up with ideas for creating a song, etc. etc. What he does for inspiration? That sort of thing D[/quote4b5e7aa941]

oh oh oh i see, well let me address this in two different ways

first Matt, the guy i was telling you about, mainly records other artists and gets their music mastered into digital form so that they can reproduce it and market it....... he's a recording artist and i thought when you meant "finish a song" you meant how to actually pull the recording together and master it. so he's out of the question,

however

second assuming you are some sort of keyboardist/sound effects/sound samples musician, you're speaking more my language... first of all, i know Linkin Park has two tracks where it's just the DJ making a badass piece combining all sorts of samples and effects to create one badass tune. i would check those out first for your "inspiration."

In general however, I'm a drummer, so i never deal with melody, but I know when I'm trying to bang out some new beats, I do one of two things I either just play whatever comes to mind, focus on what sounds cool and elaborate on that, or i listen to songs with the specific attention on the drums, find a beat i like, make my own interpretation of it and elaborate on it.

If i were you though, assuming you have some sort of knowledge about music, I would get a melody in order by combining some sequence of chords that you like and then mess around with it by varying the tempo, the repetitions and even the time signature when you start putting a rhythm to it. when you find a melody you like start to elaborate on it between the chords... try raising or lowering the octaves, just don't get frustrated and quit... mess around for a bit, find something that sounds cool and then focus on that and work with it until you have a pattern that resembles a song...

well that's what i would do... if you are experienced, then everything i just told you is useless cuz you should already know all that, but it was worth a shot haha

Matt_2040

02-03-2008 18:53:56

[quoteff315cf645="EatChex89"]Anyone here do any music producing and have any tips for someone who can never seem to finish a song?

P

Also your equipment too. I'm producing on a mac mini and m-audio external sound card with DP 5, Reason 4, and a Kurzweil keyboard![/quoteff315cf645]

heyy, I'm really into recording as well. trying to start a band and lay down some tracks.

I use the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio. Pretty nice pod. I have a couple of condenser mics, effects pedals, and I use Cubase LE as far as software goes.

I can never seem to finish songs either(, so I know exactly how you feel. It is pretty hard when you're doing everything yourself. Try to find other people that can help you as far as laying down instruments/etc. Other then that, don't just go into a session and "blindly record". Make sure you actually have the entire song written, with all the parts. Or at least 90% of it so its not like you're writing the song as you're recording it. I've gotten into that and it really slows you down.

I'm not a professional, so thats the best I got.

What kind of music are you trying to record?

Jams44

02-03-2008 19:40:43

Hey,

My friend has a studio that he gradually built up and its pretty nice. He allows me to use it for free whenever I have the need. I'll ask him specifically about the equipment later but I know uses a MacBook Pro with Logic Pro. He has some really nice mics and keyboards.

I'll plug him here - http//myspace.com/thecloudnine - the first song i think is his best, the rest...uh

I'll post what I use later, me and my friend started a mock rap group. Haha!

tucker1003

02-03-2008 20:17:26

I have some experience with Shure equipment and a few software programs and song writing, what is the actual question? Pm me if you want!

hairyferry

02-03-2008 21:18:23

My Roommate is into music production, has been on MTV for it, has a manager, been on tour, blah blah blah, He has a really nice studio. I'm not exactly sure what he uses but I can get what he has if you want. I know he has a few MACS, 3 or 4 keyboards, some really expensive mics, and a few other things. O yeah and I know he uses ProTools.